TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't the poster that said it but again being local I know there were numerous rumors that went around....
Rumor 1- That they knew eachother leading up to this, that they had dated, that there were pics of them together. none of this is true
Rumor 2- That she had complained about noise from his apartment previously - has never been proven
Rumor 3- That she banged on the door and was heard yelling "Let me in" and that he opened the door to her- the door was actually unlocked

Following the local station WFAA on facebook these are some of the rumors people are still circulating in the comment threads.

thanks!!

Did I just hear on the news that one of the jurors has a personal or professional relationship with David Armstrong the Texas Ranger. WTH... how??
One of the jurors had met him before in a professional setting. The judge questioned the juror but then let things proceed.
ETA: I heard some commentators say the juror notified the judge as soon as they realized it. The witnesses were listed by first initial, last name so the juror would not have been able to recognize the name in advance.

Lot's of problems in this case, but on the issue of "rendering aid": I have to believe that were Guyger one of the police officers to come upon the scene, or upon the scene of any other shooting, she would have done so. In this case, she was absolutely distraught; reeling from the realization of what she'd just done. I would think many highly trained officers would be stunned and stumble at this point.

However, this all brings up so many other points. I wonder if she were ever very qualified to be a police officer from the start. In the previous year, I believe, she'd had a suspect take her own stun gun away from her. When we talk about LE being "highly trained", yes, but they also have to be capable of certain things before that training. You could train me forever, and I wouldn't in a million years EVER be qualified, training or no, to function in the situations police officers have to function -split second decisions, incredible concentration during life and death situations, often dealing with that on very little sleep, etc., etc., etc.

I think in our efforts as a society to achieve "fairness" in the work place, the ends often suffer. I wonder about that in this case.

Well said!!

Reactions: byo
I’m not that up on the details, but the thing I don’t understand is why she was so quick to shoot him. I haven’t heard anything that leads me to believe she thought he had a weapon, and what did he do that she misconstrued as being a threat. I do get that she believed it was her apartment. But why didn’t she reevaluate the situation when she saw him, as in, oh wait.. you know, like check the apartment number. Why have a knee jerk response to use deadly force?

Could she have been on some kind of uppers that contributed to her over reacting? Maybe she was just that mentally and physically exhausted ? Just horrible, killing a good and innocent man, that poor family.

I just watched the body cam video on the news of LE trying to revive Botham, and heard the 911 call.

I will honestly say that I do now believe her, that this was a tragic mistake. Her grief was real.
None the less, there are penalties for tragic mistakes too.

I was wrong. She expressed incredible remorse. Watching the rescue attempt was absolutely heartbreaking. RIP dear man.

: (

Amateur opinion and speculation

I think the key question is-- were her actions reasonable? There is no evidence she set out to murder Mr Jean but her actions resulted in his death---that is what the
Jury will have to consider-- for example all of those things she missed on the way to the wrong apt , including the bright red rug in front of Bo's apartment---was it reasonable of her to have shot who she thought was an intruder without taking some other actions first like calling for backup--and then there is the issue if she is telling the truth about events that evening, like alleging he was coming at her when in fact his body was closer to the couch

she was probly looking down at her phone and just walked to the door ..does not excuse the shooting of an unarmed man

Talking to my husband tonight. I think everyone here can agree it was a mistake.

Sure, we can question why one may think it’s their place. Maybe you don’t see all those signs, why? I don’t know but at the end of the day she’s the one still responsible for her actions. I think the jury can still find her guilty and responsible for taking a life due to her mistakes because at some point - you can’t miss 16 doors, you cant miss signs, you can’t miss the smell of marijuana, you can’t miss the red mat, you can’t miss the red light, none of that ...

With that being said, you can’t just take someone’s life because you aren’t paying attention.

I think they can find her guilty and give that man the justice he deserves, while also taking it into account that it could have been a mistake, one that ultimately cost a life.

If you want to feel sorry for her fine, but worry about that part when it comes to sentencing, not with the verdict.

I don't feel sorry for her: I feel sorry for Botham Jean, an innocent man, sitting in his own apartment, enjoying ice cream, watching TV or on his computer, smoking some weed: can you imagine what went thru his mind in the few seconds he had to comprehend this person coming thru the door into his apartment and shooting him? that is what I think about and if i were the prosecutor i would drive that home to the jury. she came thru that door, gun blazing-- it makes me sick to my stomach to even think about it. I put myself in his place as I am sitting on my couch, enjoying TV and imagining if that happened to me- OMG---

I don't feel sorry for her: I feel sorry for Botham Jean, an innocent man, sitting in his own apartment, enjoying ice cream, watching TV or on his computer, smoking some weed: can you imagine what went thru his mind in the few seconds he had to comprehend this person coming thru the door into his apartment and shooting him? that is what I think about and if i were the prosecutor i would drive that home to the jury. she came thru that door, gun blazing-- it makes me sick to my stomach to even think about it. I put myself in his place as I am sitting on my couch, enjoying TV and imagining if that happened to me- OMG---

Absolutely sickening. The fear of "Oh my God. This is how I'm going to die." moo

There was a poster earlier tonight who pointed out the fact the fact that AG was still in uniform. I think that’s a very valid point. She was still in duty mindset. She should have changed or there should be that policy. I agree this was a mistake but she should have retreated rather than immediately pulling her firearm out and killing this man. Plus, I’m sure she had some type of pepper spray or even a taser.

On her cell phone, not in the moment and unaware of her surroundings.... well that about figures. SMH
Is it a crime to be on your cell phone while driving and cause a wreck that kills someone? I think so. And pulling a gun and shooting is an even more voluntary act, IMO.

I just watched the body cam video on the news of LE trying to revive Botham, and heard the 911 call.

I will honestly say that I do now believe her, that this was a tragic mistake. Her grief was real.
None the less, there are penalties for tragic mistakes too.

I was wrong. She expressed incredible remorse. Watching the rescue attempt was absolutely heartbreaking. RIP dear man.

: (

Amateur opinion and speculation

She had horror and remorse for herself.

I mean I agree with ya 100% lol.. I’m just saying you know exactly how people are. Somehow they’ll feel sorry for her.

Fun fact: sometimes if I come in from checking the mail, I’ll leave the door unlocked when I get back in and my husband always gets on me about it, I shrug it off not thinking anything will happen but man, after this happened, suddenly I actually listen to my husband for once. :)

One of the jurors had met him before in a professional setting. The judge questioned the juror but then let things proceed.
ETA: I heard some commentators say the juror notified the judge as soon as they realized it. The witnesses were listed by first initial, last name so the juror would not have been able to recognize the name in advance.

Excuse me if I sound completely lost in this and if this is a dumb question because work was absolutely crazy today, but how do we know this information if there is a gag order?? Lol - I was kind of shocked like how does the news know this.. I’m assuming it was discussed in front of court room or ???. lol
again, my mind is completely gone :/

better go to sleep soon before I end up walking into the wrong house thinking it’s my own. #toosoon #notacomedianatall

I mean I agree with ya 100% lol.. I’m just saying you know exactly how people are. Somehow they’ll feel sorry for her.

Fun fact: sometimes if I come in from checking the mail, I’ll leave the door unlocked when I get back in and my husband always gets on me about it, I shrug it off not thinking anything will happen but man, after this happened, suddenly I actually listen to my husband for once. :)

I leave before my husband, often go running in the morning, leaving the house open, no keys for my run. Then, I heard about a home invasion in Indiana, the husband had left the door unlocked, for the exact same reason.

His wife was killed. I now lock the door religiously when I leave him sleeping upstairs.

There was a poster earlier tonight who pointed out the fact the fact that AG was still in uniform. I think that’s a very valid point. She was still in duty mindset. She should have changed or there should be that policy. I agree this was a mistake but she should have retreated rather than immediately pulling her firearm out and killing this man. Plus, I’m sure she had some type of pepper spray or even a taser.

You make a good point: she had options: she probably had a taser or pepper spray but she chose to shoot - she could also have slammed the door and backed out, and called for back up.

I leave before my husband, often go running in the morning, leaving the house open, no keys for my run. Then, I heard about a home invasion in Indiana, the husband had left the door unlocked, for the exact same reason.

His wife was killed. I now lock the door religiously when I leave him sleeping upstairs.

Lol .. I completely get it.

My husband also is that type of husband who gets so bothered by the fact when we are watching ID channel when people from small towns say “it’s the type of place where people keep their door unlocked.” Every single time he has to say something. But he always has something to say so... lol

He’s so into this case, like he went to the office today and texted me that he was going to go on lunch an hour earlier, I asked if he had a meeting or something, and he literally was dead serious and said no, I’m just going on lunch when the jury goes so I don’t miss anything lol ...

Meanwhile, I couldn’t catch any of it and I work from home lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member