TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not that up on the details, but the thing I don’t understand is why she was so quick to shoot him. I haven’t heard anything that leads me to believe she thought he had a weapon, and what did he do that she misconstrued as being a threat. I do get that she believed it was her apartment. But why didn’t she reevaluate the situation when she saw him, as in, oh wait.. you know, like check the apartment number. Why have a knee jerk response to use deadly force?

Could she have been on some kind of uppers that contributed to her over reacting? Maybe she was just that mentally and physically exhausted ? Just horrible, killing a good and innocent man, that poor family.

Today the State showed a photo of AG in full uniform the night of the murder.
They pointed to her taser gun still strapped to her side.
WTH didn’t she use that?

MOO

Google Amber Guyger racist FB posts. It’s in numerous MSM news reports. The Procecutor will leverage all that no doubt.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I saw. I'm not impressed. I don't think there's evidence of any racism. Most has to do with hand gestures made by a relation. Not her. And the ADL says they match no racist hand gestures in their extensive database.

Another is a shirt worn by her mom- All Lives Matter which is thought by many to be racist because it ignores the issue of black people being treated differently by LE and thus pleading to society for their lives to matter.

But while it is dismissive of the struggle of black people who protest police abuse it's not an uncommon sentiment and I don't think proves anything about Amber.

Botham Jean's parents cower as body cam is played at Amber Guyger's trial | Daily Mail Online

18932120-7504751-image-a-118_1569440260140.jpg

Oh. That hurts. Makes me tear up.

I saw. I'm not impressed. I don't think there's evidence of any racism. Most has to do with hand gestures made by a relation. Not her. And the ADL says they match no racist hand gestures in their extensive database.

Another is a shirt worn by her mom- All Lives Matter which is thought by many to be racist because it ignores the issue of black people being treated differently by LE and thus pleading to society for their lives to matter.

But while it is dismissive of the struggle of black people who protest police abuse it's not an uncommon sentiment and I don't think proves anything about Amber.
How ironic. Her actions prove their point.

There was a poster earlier tonight who pointed out the fact the fact that AG was still in uniform. I think that’s a very valid point. She was still in duty mindset. She should have changed or there should be that policy. I agree this was a mistake but she should have retreated rather than immediately pulling her firearm out and killing this man. Plus, I’m sure she had some type of pepper spray or even a taser.

Someone said it is the policy to change first. I know the bailiffs in my County change before leaving the courthouse. It makes them less of a sitting duck too, while off duty.

I’m not that up on the details, but the thing I don’t understand is why she was so quick to shoot him. I haven’t heard anything that leads me to believe she thought he had a weapon, and what did he do that she misconstrued as being a threat. I do get that she believed it was her apartment. But why didn’t she reevaluate the situation when she saw him, as in, oh wait.. you know, like check the apartment number. Why have a knee jerk response to use deadly force?

Could she have been on some kind of uppers that contributed to her over reacting? Maybe she was just that mentally and physically exhausted ? Just horrible, killing a good and innocent man, that poor family.

I think she shot Bothan Jean for the same reason that cop shot Justine: she was not really cut out for the job. She obviously could not handle the pressure of the situation she found herself in, thinking there was an intruder in her apartment, failing to realize this was not her apartment- so many things went wrong that night because at the end of the day she should not have been on the police force. she was not qualified, just like that officer (I believe his name was Noor)----that is kind of the bottom line IMO

Someone said it is the policy to change first. I know the bailiffs in my County change before leaving the courthouse. It makes them less of a sitting duck too, while off duty.

I used to go straight to the gym, work out, shower, and change clothes. When I worked at the prison, I didn't want to bring any lice home, or other bugs, Scabies is another big problem.

Maybe former Officer Guyger never had to work with the homeless crowd, her being on the "Elite" team.

I think she shot Bothan Jean for the same reason that cop shot Justine: she was not really cut out for the job. She obviously could not handle the pressure of the situation she found herself in, thinking there was an intruder in her apartment, failing to realize this was not her apartment- so many things went wrong that night because at the end of the day she should not have been on the police force. she was not qualified, just like that officer (I believe his name was Noor)----that is kind of the bottom line IMO

BINGO!!! Not qualified at all. Had this been a kid that she killed, I don’t think we would be having this discussion.

Actually I take that back, yes we would. Especially after the way I seen DPD conduct themselves.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, I don’t trust chief hall. I think she’s not compassionate or frankly skilled enough to run a police department. I think Chief Brown was an excellent chief not saying that he hasn’t had corrupt stuff happen under his belt but I genuinely believe that he wouldn’t allow some of the stuff that happened to happen.

But back to AG, she was never a true officer, she was a scared one and that shows. Frankly she should have never been on the police force after she shot the first guy. Now I will say, the other guy did grab her taser or so we are told but can we really believe that? That too, could have been a lie to cover her. I mean she was screwing her partner, who clearly lied on the stand.

She exposed her own self not once but twice and yet again, this is why we can never have any trust between the community and policing because acts like these continue to happen.

I don't think you can say 'regardless'.

Texas' castle doctrine, or castle law, protects you from legal troubles if you are ever placed in a situation where you have to use force or deadly force to protect yourself against an intruder who poses a threat. Gun expert reminds Texans of castle law protections

The intruder has to pose a threat. What was the threat?

I guess I’m now playing a bit of Devil’s Advocate. I don’t know about you, but if I came home and found a stranger sitting on my couch, I’d consider that a fairly large threat. Home invasion robberies are common enough where I live, my house has been broken into a couple of times, I’d feel very very threatened by a random stranger inside my home.

This has happened to people and happened to a woman I know who deliberately came home early, because she had good reason to believe that someone was entering her house. And there he was! You can bet she felt threatened. She didn’t have a weapon. But it basically upset her life - she felt compelled not only to move, but to move far enough away that this (potential) stalker could not find her. She uprooted her whole life.

The jury will have to use its own views on what constitutes a reasonable threat, but for me, most of my students, and many people I know (including most of the cops I know), finding a random stranger in my home (having obviously broken in and already committed a felony) is in and of itself...a threat.

Don’t know about you, but I don’t have a permit to carry and I don’t carry pepper spray from my car into my living room. I would be otherwise unarmed. But if I could get to a weapon, I don’t think I’d be waiting for that person to, say, try to lunge at me. In all honesty, not sure how I’d react but would feel immediate threat upon seeing an intruder.

At the same time I personally would not be prepared to use deadly force. Retreat and 911.

Last edited:
I guess I’m now playing a bit of Devil’s Advocate. I don’t know about you, but if I came home and found a stranger sitting on my couch, I’d consider that a fairly large threat. Home invasion robberies are common enough where I live, my house has been broken into a couple of times, I’d feel very very threatened by a random stranger inside my home.

This has happened to people and happened to a woman I know who deliberately came home early, because she had good reason to believe that someone was entering her house. And there he was! You can bet she felt threatened. She didn’t have a weapon. But it basically upset her life - she felt compelled not only to move, but to move far enough away that this (potential) stalker could not find her. She uprooted her whole life.

The jury will have to use its own views on what constitutes a reasonable threat, but for me, most of my students, and many people I know (including most of the cops I know), finding a random stranger in my home (having obviously broken in and already committed a felony) is in and of itself...a threat.

Don’t know about you, but I don’t have a permit to carry and I don’t carry pepper spray from my car into my living room. I would be otherwise unarmed. But if I could get to a weapon, I don’t think I’d be waiting for that person to, say, try to lunge at me. In all honesty, not sure how I’d react but would feel immediate threat upon seeing an intruder.

I don’t think any of us doubt that she reacted that way because she thought it was her place. We are focused on how you miss so many signs which led her to the wrong apartment. At the end of the day, she still walked into his house. She’s lucky that he didn’t have a gun and put a hole in her chest. But then again, we all know what would have happened at that point.

I’m sorry that you missed all those signs that led you to kill someone based off your negligence. Hopefully, this turns out to be a lesson to people to be aware of their surroundings.

Hello--it wasn't her home--it was Botham Jean's home-that is why there is a trial-
She was the intruder, not him

She'll get 2 in the clink, and five years probation is my amateur opinion and speculation. Now the *civil* trial and the associated reparation is what is going to really help bring justice. She will have to pay the Victim's family dearly $$$$$ for taking his life.

Amateur opinion and speculation

There will be civil trial I'm sure or at least a settlement. Will she pay?? or the city of Dallas?? off duty or always on duty a factor ??

I do not see her as Trigger happy.
I see as a horrible accident. An innocent man died but not out of malicious intent or a racist motive.

I agree with you but there are attys who will want to make it racist because that scenario will garner more notoriety and profit for them. I believe that is why this is getting the attention it is getting. I believe BSJ was a solid young man as are his parents and family but some justice even monetary is better than none and maybe that is all they think they will get.

I leave before my husband, often go running in the morning, leaving the house open, no keys for my run. Then, I heard about a home invasion in Indiana, the husband had left the door unlocked, for the exact same reason.

His wife was killed. I now lock the door religiously when I leave him sleeping upstairs.

that's a bogus excuse - if made - by the husband in the Indiana "home invasion." that's a November 2015 case that has yet to go to trial...with the accused having robbed two homes prior early that morning through back doors, with disabled alarm system and leisurely hanging out at house number two for drinking and dining on wine and oranges and then for some unknown reason waltzing in a couple of houses down through the unlocked front door (did not try to break into the back door - immediately went to the front door ) of the preacher man's house in the early am long after he was known to leave for the gym.....His wife and unborn child were killed...somehow dog was restrained and child "remained" upstairs, "cooing."

hear the footsteps, Davey?

Last edited:
How convenient is it that the LEAD investigator that believe that Amber Guyger did not break a law that ended up killing a person is the same LEAD investigator that broke a law that ended up killing someone.

Oh the irony.

No wonder he doesn’t believe amber should be charged, he also has been in a situation like this. Paying it forward? Probably, after hearing that, I’m done with this Texas Ranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfred1221