GUILTY TX - Gerren Isgrigg, 6, disabled, left to die in Wylie park, 12 April 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mike Brooks
saying she should have taken him to a safe place, ie: fire station.
He feels grandmother couldn't handle caring for Gerren any longer.

Outrage over the comments Uncle made on Gerren being a vegetable.( played video of comment)
says they need new law to protect children like Gerren.

Talking how the community came together.

Yes, but there are NOT enough services for children with severe disabilities & their families. Haven't heard much about support groups, respite programs, in-home assistance, etc.
Way too many of the children murdered or missing, all have something in common - they had some sort of identified intellectual, developmental or physical disability. I think that parents/grandparents/guardians can't handle it. Of course many do but way too many can't. I think its time to look at these things differently in order to protect these innocent children.
Poor little Gerren was already way underweight. Wonder when he last saw a medical provider and what the status was at that point. And did the medical provider report anything or give any referrals or support to the family?
I blame the system that pushes people beyond their breaking point.

Yes, but there are NOT enough services for children with severe disabilities & their families. Haven't heard much about support groups, respite programs, in-home assistance, etc.
Way too many of the children murdered or missing, all have something in common - they had some sort of identified intellectual, developmental or physical disability. I think that parents/grandparents/guardians can't handle it. Of course many do but way too many can't. I think its time to look at these things differently in order to protect these innocent children.
Poor little Gerren was already way underweight. Wonder when he last saw a medical provider and what the status was at that point. And did the medical provider report anything or give any referrals or support to the family?
I blame the system that pushes people beyond their breaking point.

I agree Karen. Here in my town there are some respite, but it is limited to certain qualifications. I remember asking the social worker at Easter Seals for some assistance because at times I was overwhelmed, but more so because of being a single parent and dealing with numnuts in the family court system to get child support. It all hit me at once. I was lucky I had family to call and count on.... And in my situation my sons medical needs did not qualify for in home respite help.

I think though, that had I not had family to call on for help I might not have known who to call. Sometimes people simply don't want to 'trust' others, even if it means someone coming to the home and caring for the child while the caregiver cleans house, naps, or gets some R&R.

In this case, I wonder and will continue to wonder just how much help grandma got from her husband and step son. Sometimes men will think that is the womans job and don't even have half a clue the woman needs help! If she did not call the authorities when her daughter abandoned her grandson, she does not strike me like the kind of person to let others know she desperately needed help and tried to do it all. I don't mean to make excuses for her. There was NEVER an excuse to not ask for help... I am just thinking of her thought process and she finally had enough hence turning to alleged murder.

JMHO

Investigation Into Death of Wylie's Angel Turns to Mother

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-be...of-Wylies-Angel-Turns-to-Mother-92357614.html

Nyki Phillips, who lives in Oklahoma, had not seen her son in three months, police said. Police are investigating the lack of contact and looking into what, if any, communication she had with her mother about the boy's care.

Investigators with Child Protective Services say a criminal charge of neglect can be made any time a child is left in an unsafe environment or a place where his or her needs cannot be met.

Police said parents or legal guardians cannot legally leave their child with a loved one for an extended period of time if there are reasonable concerns for the child's safety or care.

Investigation Into Death of Wylie's Angel Turns to Mother

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-be...of-Wylies-Angel-Turns-to-Mother-92357614.html

Nyki Phillips, who lives in Oklahoma, had not seen her son in three months, police said. Police are investigating the lack of contact and looking into what, if any, communication she had with her mother about the boy's care.

Investigators with Child Protective Services say a criminal charge of neglect can be made any time a child is left in an unsafe environment or a place where his or her needs cannot be met.

Police said parents or legal guardians cannot legally leave their child with a loved one for an extended period of time if there are reasonable concerns for the child's safety or care.

We knew this was coming. fhc, since you are local, may I ask a favor? If you could find an email for the journalist who wrote the above article. He seems to have done a great job discussig guardianship. Where I am confused is the reference to Gerrens father not having custody. There are two types of custody assigned when parents divorce. Physical - which is the primary residence of the child, and Legal- which grants parents the right to have decision making in the childs welfare such as medical, education etc. If would LOVE to know exactly what type of legal custody Gerrens father had. If I know my SP (single parent family court law ands in most cases I know that better than sleuthing - with both genders. I jumped in with the fathers rights activists just to get a better understanding and gain knowledge... ) I do not believe Gerrens bio father lost or did not have 'legal custody'. Most often the courts grant 50/50 legal custody.

I would LOVE to have that question of mine clarified. It would explain a lot... in that he had the right or no rights to access medical info regarding his son.

If you can, if not, maybe another local might want to inquire regarding such.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...N-boatright_28edi.State.Edition1.264b148.html

Clay Boatright: A strategy to prevent next 'Wylie's Angel'

The death of Gerren Isgrigg, known lovingly as "Wylie's Angel," was a tragedy. However, what makes his death unusual was his public discovery. Every week a child with a disability is abused in silence, with no Facebook page or candlelight vigil.

Also Online
What's The Big Story? Find out at dallasnews.com/opinion

Blog: Opinion
Little Gerren had all the odds against him. He was young and small, as 90 percent of children who die from abuse are. Children with developmental disabilities are more than four times as likely to be abused as children without disabilities, and 97 percent of abusers are known by their victims.Texas ranks consistently among the bottom five states in support of people with disabilities, and our reported death rate for abused children is 84 percent higher than the national average. "Wylie's Angel" fit all these statistics.

full article at above link.

I don't mean to sounds ignorant, but I am curious.

Is most of the abuse neglect? As in people just don't give these children the care they need? I would assume there would also be sexual or physical abuse, but in smaller numbers.

Father of Wylie's Angel Speaks Out
The 33 News
April 29, 2010

Staff Sergeant Jerry Isgrigg is in the Dallas area, with his mother, to make funeral arrangements for 6-year-old Gerren.

Gerren Joseph Isgrig, who had serious special needs, was found dead two weeks ago today. The boy was dumped in a pond area near East Fork Park in Wylie. His father tells us his body will be released to the family once they agree on arrangements

http://www.the33tv.com/news/kdaf-wylies-angel-dad-speaks-story,0,1647958.story

Isgrigg saw his son's body at the Collin County morgue on Tuesday.

“He was covered completely except for his face -- the top part of his head," he said. "Everything else was covered. I'll never forget his face. That image alone is forever burned in my mind.”

He said he also broke down at the site Gerren was found at, where a memorial now honors his memory.

“The letters, the little sayings that they write, the little handprints, all the stuffed animals, the flowers, the candles -- it was that was probably the time that the majority of it really hit me,” he said.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/Father-of-Wylies-Angel-Grieves-92554764.html

I don't believe the father is at fault for this. Gerren was living at an assisted care facility, where he was removed from by his mother. Gerren's father was in the military, and a state or 2 away. He and his family were lead to believe the child was at the facility and when his paternal grandmother called that facility, they told him that he was removed from there and now in the care of his mother. Gerren's mother is the one who dumped him off with her parents who were lead to believe they'd only be caring for him for a short while. This is Gerren's mother and grandmother's fault. I think these women have no conscious. The grandmother even lied to her husband and told him that she left the boy with a social worker. She also lied about leaving a note with Gerren regarding his condition. (BTW, I don't think a note that says "I'm 6, I have seizures" is a proper explanation of Gerren's condition.)

There is no doubt in my mind that Gerren's mother was collecting child support for Gerren even though he wasn't living with her, there is also no doubt that she wasn't giving her mother any help with him either, considering the mom was living in *OK* (thanks for the correction Cubby!) and the grandparents in TX.

Please don't be so quick to jump on his father. He may have been overseas, or training to go overseas, or a combination of both for the last few years. What happened to Gerren is a direct result of his mother's and grandmother's actions.

Thanks JLMcKenna'. Just one correction. IIRC, the mother was living in Oklahoma, not California.

Folks- there will be no bashing of Gerrens father here. He is not considered a POI in this case and as a victim friendly forum, we simply will not be bashing him now that more of the facts in this case have been released by the media. Please PM me or utilize the threadiquette area for posting questions should you have any questions.

thank you!

Is Gerren's mother considered a POI in the investigation? <snip> I am in no way saying that I support the way Gerren's mother handled her parental responsibilities, but I am also not so sure I support the way Gerren's father handled his either. The only facts I have seen are that neither of them cared or parented Gerren on a full time regular basis.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-bea...-92357614.html

Police said parents or legal guardians cannot legally leave their child with a loved one for an extended period of time if there are reasonable concerns for the child's safety or care.If not, I think we tend to back up the assumptions of her receiving child support for Gerren and not passing it onto her mother.

CCup. While Gerrens mother is not a POI in the murder case, it has been stated she still had legal guardianship of Gerren. Or in other words, Gerrens grandmother did NOT have legal guardianship of Gerren. Time will tell what if any charges she may face. Gerrens bio father was a non custodial father. There is nothing 'illegal' so to speak about being an NCP, thus there has been no talk at all that he may face any charges. Hence we will treat him like we do any family of a victim here.

Cubby

White balloons can be released in honor of Gerren at 7:00pm from your location if you are unable to attend the memorial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helengably
Back