TX - Girlfriend of fired Texas judge charged with murder in his drug overdose death - Feb 13, 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Clearsky

Reaction score
Kami Ludwig, 34, was booked on Monday in the killing of William Shane Nolen, who was a former associate judge in the 323rd District Court. Nolen was in November 2019 fired from the court, which handles juvenile matters, because, as a defendant in a lawsuit filed in Denton County by the Department of Family and Protective Services, he violated court orders.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article285439237.html#storylink=cpy

her FB:

his FB:

Last edited:

Police obtained a search warrant for the home and found .614 grams of cocaine, 4.08 grams of fentanyl-laced "M-30" pills, .348 grams of oxycodone and 7.70 grams of generic Xanax. Police also searched Ludwig's phone and found that she called an alleged dealer or source of the "M-30" pills multiple times and visited them in Fort Worth the day before Nolen died.

My understanding is that those "M-30" pills are counterfeit oxycodone.

So, I question if Kami knowingly supplied Shane with fentanyl, or was she just an unwitting user who purchased what she thought was oxy for herself and her boyfriend.

A new law went into effect on Sept. 1, 2023, creating a criminal offense of murder for manufacturing or distributing fentanyl that results in death.
Yet, that law has primarily been used to target dealers. Ludwig’s arrest documents read like she and Nolen were addicts and consenting drug users.

My unpopular opinion is that prosecuting a drug user as if they are a murderer is a "tough on crime" stance that will evenutally backfire. And I think it's also a law that's rife for abuse. I doubt anyone that's rich or powerful and has a good lawyer will ever catch a murder charge for unknowingly giving a friend fentanyl.

So, I question if Kami knowingly supplied Shane with fentanyl, or was she just an unwitting user who purchased what she thought was oxy for herself and her boyfriend.

A new law went into effect on Sept. 1, 2023, creating a criminal offense of murder for manufacturing or distributing fentanyl that results in death.
Yet, that law has primarily been used to target dealers. Ludwig’s arrest documents read like she and Nolen were addicts and consenting drug users.

My unpopular opinion is that prosecuting a drug user as if they are a murderer is a "tough on crime" stance that will evenutally backfire. And I think it's also a law that's rife for abuse. I doubt anyone that's rich or powerful and has a good lawyer will ever catch a murder charge for unknowingly giving a friend fentanyl.

Catherine Evelyn Smith was a part time legal secretary, drug dealer and groupie: who injected John Belushi with coke/heroin mix resulting in his death. In March 1982, long before Oxy and Fent were a thing. She was charged with murder 3 months after the event but 4 years later she pled guilty to involuntary manslaughter. She served 15 months in state prison.

She definitely knew JB beforehand. She admitted to purchasing the components and mixing and injecting the cocktail, for money. She had considerable history of arrest for drug possession.

Most measures would indicate she was more culpable than KL or even Ledra Craig but the new card in the deck is the synthetic opioids. The base components for Fentanyl are fairly easy to acquire and come from factories, most of them overseas and some of which have proven to be complicit in the deadly drug's production in North America. Bringing the chemical to powder or pill form is where the big deviances occur and the potential for inadvertent lethality is first introduced. Pursuing that level is not the same as going after MJ or Cocaine Paste in the old days, its more like a white collar crime at the production level and a crime at the intermediate portion of the distribution.

I agree with your underlying premise: heavy convictions applied to users or local level dealers is not going to solve the problem overall. Asset seizure may put a dent in the production end of things, but you can't seize a company and seizing a factory is futile, the equipment can readily be acquired. The top level production people will have levels of lawyer and international borders protecting them to some degree so those will be slow detailed prosecutions. The top of distribution chain: that will require a boots on the ground approach as well as extremely strong political resolve. I would predict, a lot of those people will never see a courthouse. So the weak link is the local dealer but there are always people wanting to fill those shoes. Nevertheless, thats who we are going after with these types of prosecutions.

I believe that is fundamentally misguided. We will not be successful getting Fentanyl or Oxycodone off the streets by attacking at the street level. Moreover, as was proved in the 60's and 70's, there will more synthetics to follow as long as there is an illicit market so serve.

Obviously MOO.

what??? where was she? trying to hide evidence? running away? she left the kid there with his father's dead body???

'Nolen’s 9-year-old son was alone inside the house when authorities arrived.'

It also sounds like the child had 2 parents that didn't care about him

It also sounds like the child had 2 parents that didn't care about him

so things weren't great between them and they each wanted custody of their son
poor kiddo

Yeah there was a *ton* of family discord, a lot of it being aired openly on facebook. The reason for Nolen being fired hasn't been formally disclosed, but might have to do with his involvement in after-hours "activities" at the courthouse. Judge is fired for 'smoking, drinking, playing cards in his chamber'

Tarrant county court records show that the custody battle has been going on for many years. I feel bad for all of the kids involved in this. Also, was there really a "motive" for murder as questioned above? Or was this more like reckless partying gone awry (i.e. they didn't get exactly what they paid for)?

what a mess! sounds like he had just recently been fired.

The article in the original post says he was reprimanded for playing poker with friends in the judges chambers after-hours.

An inexplicably stupid thing to do, but not really criminal, unless there were other activities ongoing that were illegal- drug taking, gambling, consorting with prostitutes or such.

Am I missing something?

From the article: "The documents, in Denton County District Court, indicate Nolen’s 5-year-old son had been living with his mother and was removed from her home in June after she tested positive for drugs, including heroin."

Sounds a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back