TX TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #2 *NAME NOT RELEASED*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been too long for WCJD to have been unidentified. I am so sorry to hear that Dt. Bean refuses help from DDP, after being offered by Carl, a person of total care for this case and a DDP member. He said WCJD’s DNA was with a genealogist. Is this for sure claimed? I’m sorry for going on here, but I feel this is what is going to be needed to bring her home. I’ve profiled her killer, so that’s all I can do now until she’s been ID’d. I hope WCJD will get final justice, no matter how much work it takes. I don’t think WCJD was from Texas, although she told people she was from that area, maybe a family member lived there instead, and she wanted to fool people. Or even the possibility she lived with a cousin, aunt, uncle, etc. I have the feeling WCJD’s parents probably weren’t in her life, as she never talked about them. I’ve had friends who’ve been raised by extended relatives, such as their aunts and/or uncles. That’s just my theory though..

I thought what they meant about the DNA is that they're already pursuing it through another genealogist, so they don't need DDP. Last I looked, there were over 150 forensic genealogists who were members of the largest professional organization, so they'd have lots of options.

But I could be way off about that. I often am. :p

I think she must be from Texas--if her accent didn't sound like she was from Aransas Pass/seacoast area, the witnesses would almost certainly have mentioned it. Though I suppose she might not have lived there too long. Some people pick up accents quickly.

91UFTX

<modsnip - remove unrelated link>

Unidentified White Female
Located on November 1, 1980 in Walker County, Texas.
Cause of death was homicide.
The victim had been dead for six hours before she was found.

• [*]Estimated age: 14 1/2 - 16 1/2 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0 - 5'3" (most likely 5'2"); 110 - 120 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown hair past the shoulders, cut in wing fashion, natural, no evidence of color treatment. Brown or Hazel eyes. A 1 1/2" scar at end of right eyebrow . Her ears were pierced. Her toenails was painted pink. No tattoos.
    [*]Clothing: She was wearing a rectangular-shaped pendant with a smoky blue stone on a gold chain (as seen in the victim's sketch above). She may have been wearing jeans and a yellow shirt. A pair of high-heeled sandals, 3" or 4" inch platforms with light brown straps, had been thrown beside the body.
    [*]Dentals: Available. Her teeth had been well cared for.
    [*]Fingerprints: Available
    [*]DNA: mtDNA available in CODIS
Case History
The victim's body was dumped on side of I-45 north, 2 miles north of Huntsville, TX. The general condition of the body and her overall health and nutrition indicated she had probably come from a middle class home. There were no identification with the body. No semen was found on or in the victim's body.
When the murder became known through media accounts, several people came forward and said they’d seen a teenager matching her description the day before her body was found.
A witness identified the victim as a girl who had been at the South End Gulf station around 6:30 p.m. on Halloween night asking for directions to the Ellis prison unit.
She had been wearing blue jeans, a yellow pullover sweater with big pockets that hung below her waist, and she was carrying high-heeled sandals in her hand. To the best of his recollection, she had been let out of a 1973 or ‘74 blue Chevrolet, possibly a Caprice, with a lighter colored top, which was being driven by a white male. She looked disheveled like she had been traveling, and perhaps sleeping in her clothes.
She left the station, walking north on Sam Houston avenue.
A waitress working at the Hitchin’ Post truck stop on Interstate 45 said the girl came into the restaurant the same evening and again, asked for directions to the Ellis Unit, saying she had a friend there. A map was drawn for her and she departed.
The waitress asked the girl how old she was and the girl responded 19. The witness thought that was an obvious lie and then asked the girl if her parents knew where she was. The young girl replied, "Who cares". The witness then stated she asked her where she was from. The girl replied Aransas Pass/Rockport, TX area. It has not been verified that the girl was the unidentified victim.
Her photograph was shown to every inmate at Ellis Prison Unit, but no one claimed to know the girl.
On January 16, 1981, the unidentified girl was buried in the Adickes Addition at Oakwood Cemetery. Huntsville Funeral Home buried her, and Morris Memorials provided her tombstone.
It is believed that Henry Lee Lucas killed this girl, but investigators could not make a match between the bite mark on her left shoulder and his dental reconstruction.

Case Details:

Walker County Jane Doe was found lying face down and nude by a truck driver on November 1, 1980 near the Sam Houston National Forest in Walker County Texas. This is about a half mile south of the FM 1696 exit near Huntsville.
The victim, an attractive young teenage girl, had been savagely beaten and sexually assaulted before dying by slow strangulation. Her face and body were covered with bruises from the beating and there was a human bite mark on her back near her right shoulder. The autopsy revealed she had been sexually assaulted with a blunt instrument.
When the murder was reported, several people came forward and said they'd seen a teenager matching her description the day before her body was found. One witness, the manager of a gas station which no longer exists, positively identified the victim as a girl who had been at the station around 6:30 p.m. Halloween night asking for directions to the Ellis prison unit. She was wearing blue jeans, a yellow pullover sweater with big pockets that hung below her waist, and carrying high-heeled sandals in her hand. To the best of his recollection, she had been let out of a 1973 or 74 blue Chevrolet, possibly a Caprice, with a lighter colored top, which was being driven by a white male. She looked disheveled like she had been traveling and perhaps sleeping in her clothes. She left the station, walking north on Sam Houston avenue.
A waitress working at the Hitchin Post truck stop out on Interstate 45 said the girl came into the restaurant the same evening and again, asked for directions to the Ellis Unit, saying she had a friend there. A map was drawn for her and she departed. She never reached the Ellis Unit and she was never seen alive again.

Thread #1
Did anyone ever check yearbook photos of schools in the area she said she was from?

I noticed on the fb page for WCJD it has been said that she isn't going to be someone who is in any of the databases. I'm sure every brown haired girl listed as missing around 1980 has been submitted as a possible match by now.
Its possible she was reported missing but the report never got filed or was lost and never followed up. It was even more likely if the child had be reported missing before. In another thread on here a woman was posting that she was the sister of the missing woman and that the claim her sister had been a runaway prior to her final disappearance was wrong. She didn't know who had told the police that but she believed it probably affected the search.
Its possible that WCJD was not enrolled in school at the time of her disappearance.
The story that was circulated said she told the waitress she was going to visit a friend. The detective that gave an interview about his involvement with the case said she was going to see a boyfriend. Was that what she actually said or was that just his conclusion? I'm still curious to know if the guy who killed the bar owner in Port Aransas had a girlfriend or if any girls that hung around with his sisters suddenly left town and never came back.

I'm thinking WCJD isn't in any databases, either. That appears to be the trend with DDP's identified cases so far.
When I spoke to the detective on Marcia King's case (before she was ID'D), he told me that every single missing female in NamUs had been looked at and ruled out, so they were certain she wasn't in any db's and possibly not reported to authorities. I can't recall if Marcia was reported and it just didn't go anywhere, but as far as her not being in any MP database, he was right.

I am pretty sure that genetic genealogy has the greatest chance at solving this one... hopefully they'll be able to extract enough DNA (whether it be from existing material, or another exhumation) to give it a go soon. Extraction techniques and sequencing technology will only get better in the future, so it's probably only a matter of time until this one is solved, imo.

Hello everyone! Does anyone know if Pem’s lead was submitted to the sheriffs office?

“Supposedly, (the girl) came into the restaurant, asking for directions to the Ellis Unit,” Burmester said, referring to the state prison near Huntsville. “She had a milkshake or something, and the waitress had a conversation with her, asked why she was going to the Ellis Unit. She was kind of young.

“She told the waitress she was going to see her boyfriend at Ellis,” Burmester said. “And, in the same conversation, it came up where she was from. She told the waitress she was from the Port Aransas area. And she told the waitress that she was 18, even though it was obvious she wasn’t.”
----
Police tried without success to figure out which inmate at the Ellis Unit could have been the girl’s boyfriend.

“There was only one that could have possibly been her boyfriend, if you considered their ages, but we checked him out, and he didn’t work out at all,” Burmester said.

Cold case | Port Aransas South Jetty
Story told by retired Houston PD Homicide Detective John Burmester.
Wow. I this is the first mention of a BF at the prison.

Wow. I this is the first mention of a BF at the prison.

Hmm, I'd trust the detective over the media unless they got their information from an equally/more credible source. What does the official report from whichever PD is investigating her case say?

Brenda Sue Black was mentioned as a PM for a Kentucky UID, but she reminds me a lot of WCJD! I’m trying to find more information on her, but I’m unable to upload photos right now, for some reason. She was from Ohio and that’s where it shows her to be missing from, although she had moved to California after High School. Her family hasn’t seen her since “about 1980 or 1981”.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Brenda Sue Black was mentioned as a PM for a Kentucky UID, but she reminds me a lot of WCJD! I’m trying to find more information on her, but I’m unable to upload photos right now, for some reason. She was from Ohio and that’s where it shows her to be missing from, although she had moved to California after High School. Her family hasn’t seen her since “about 1980 or 1981”.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Couldn't be her as her age is too far off. Would have been a good contender otherwise.

That's the first I've heard of milkshake or boyfriend as well. How on earth would they narrow the possible boyfriends down to just 1 inmate? It would seem to me that almost any of them could potentially be her bf! I have to wonder about this....

After almost 40 years, there’s not much I don’t wonder about. WCJD and the Sumter Mystery Couple are up there on my list when it comes to cases of “what are we missing? and why are we missing it?”. JMO

That's the first I've heard of milkshake or boyfriend as well. How on earth would they narrow the possible boyfriends down to just 1 inmate? It would seem to me that almost any of them could potentially be her bf! I have to wonder about this....

It's possible she said a boyfriend to sound older and also tougher. If she was a recent runaway she could have been afraid that someone would call the police out of concern. She could have been looking for a relative or friend she lost touch with. Hitchhiking isn't great if you are dealing specific visiting hours. She could have been going to meet someone that worked at the prison. There are many possibilities.

It's possible she said a boyfriend to sound older and also tougher. If she was a recent runaway she could have been afraid that someone would call the police out of concern. She could have been looking for a relative or friend she lost touch with. Hitchhiking isn't great if you are dealing specific visiting hours. She could have been going to meet someone that worked at the prison. There are many possibilities.
Perhaps she made up the "visting the prision" story?

If there was somebody she knew working at the prison that she was requesting directions to, I feel as if that person should have come forward already (unless they are connected to her murder). Seems more likely to me that there's an inmate in that prison that knows her (whether hes still alive or not) and refuses to cooperate because they are connected to her death. Perhaps this prisoner put out a hit on her and had friends on the outside that would take care of the job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member