GUILTY TX - Joy, 34, & Jodi Hummel, 5, Eddie Bedford, 57, murdered, Kennedale, 18 Dec 2009

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Taped statements reveal details of three Kennedale deaths

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/01/20/2785086/taped-statements-reveal-details.html#

January 20, 2011

FORT WORTH -- On the morning that John Hummel's pregnant wife, daughter and father-in-law were found dead in the burned debris of their Kennedale home, Hummel told police he knew nothing about the deaths or what caused the fire.

Only two days later, Hummel gave a different account to officers who had flown to San Diego to arrest him -- a story involving rat poison, a baseball bat and samurai swords.

"I killed my family and set the house on fire" was Hummel's opening line in a two-hour statement that was videotaped Dec. 20-21, 2009, in the San Diego County Jail.

In February, a Tarrant County grand jury indicted Hummel, now 35, on three capital murder charges. Prosecutors have chosen one charge to try him on -- that he killed his wife, Joy Hummel, and her father, Clyde Bedford, during the same "criminal episode." They are seeking the death penalty.

The videotaped statement was played this week at a pre-trial hearing, revealing publicly some details of the Dec. 17, 2009, slayings -- and possibly the motive behind them.

I think that Hummel said it best......

"I did a horrible, horrible thing," he said. "I know I'll spend the rest of my life in jail -- or put to death. I accept it. I deserve it."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/01/20/2785086/taped-statements-reveal-details.html##ixzz1Cw4Kxu3U

But, why did he kill them?????

ETA: Oh....

from the link above:

"....Hummel told them that his plan to kill his family began about two months earlier, when he became involved with another woman and wanted to be single again...."

We have the systems to put that plan into place. Why kill, why not walk away?

I have the creepiest feeling that one of his MS friends might have been the girlfriend. I wonder if she knew?

I never forgot about adorable and vibrant little Jodi.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/13/3149764/trial-begins-for-kennedale-man.html

Trial begins for Kennedale man accused of killing family
June 13, 2011

"Little Jodi Hummel had curly blond hair, loved Barbie, and had recently learned to count and write to five. And, like most kindergartners, she was excited about Christmas. "Jodi told everyone at school that this was going to be the best Christmas ever," prosecutor Miles Brissette told jurors on Monday morning. But Christmas didn't come for the child. Late on Dec. 17, 2009, Brissette said, Jodi, her pregnant mother, Joy, and her grandfather, Clyde "Eddie" Bedford, were killed inside their Kennedale home, which was then set on fire...."

and

"...Jodi's father, John "Johnny" Hummel, 35, is on trial this week in state District Judge Ruben Gonzalez's court. Hummel is accused of killing his family so he could be single again...."

more at link (WARNING: Graphic description of the murders)

Reading these articles on the trial has left me stunned and speechless.

This trial should not last too much longer. The defense is trying to get him off on a technicality, that the murders are somehow not part of the "same criminal transaction", as the indictment alleges.
We'll see how far that flies.

If ever there were a case for the death penalty, this is it.

Attachments

• Jodi Hummel, Texas.jpg
    Jodi Hummel, Texas.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 9
You know, Joe, I'm a staunch pacifist. But there are times when I'd be lying if I didn't admit to wavering a bit. This is one of them. What kind of monster stands at the kitchen sink and weighs his options of leaving his family. There is no crime in falling out of love and wanting out. One can simply walk out the door and sent a letter that it's time to move on. Yes, there will be a few court hearings and that pesky issue of having to support your own children but hey, you get to go live with whomever you wish.

But no, Hummel considered that option and then picked up a dull knife, various swords and a bat and beat and stabbed the life out his beautiful family. I see no mental illness, no drug component. Just cold blooded killing. Not rage, but calculated murder.

For some reason, the photos of little Jodi on her mom's MS page always stayed with me.

I didn't realize that they immediately launch into the penalty phase after the guilty verdict. They're not wasting time here.

I can't even begin to imagine this woman's misery. What a nightmare. I do wonder why her identity is not being released for "fear of retribution". By whom?

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/21/3169891/jurors-hear-from-woman-whom-murder.html

Jurors hear from woman whom murder suspect had pursued romantically

"In his videotaped confession, John "Johnny" Hummel told investigators that he killed his family because he wanted to be single to pursue a woman he met at a convenience store in Joshua. On Tuesday, jurors heard from that woman, who acknowledged that she was not happy about being involved in a capital murder trial.

The 27-year-old woman, who is not being identified for fear of retribution, testified that she had sex one time with Hummel in a moment of weakness Dec. 10, 2009. In the following days, she said, Hummel told her his wife was pregnant. "I told him not to talk to me, not to text me anymore," she testified.

But Hummel was persistent...."

more at link

And:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/23/3176148/convicted-kennedale-killer-was.html

Convicted Kennedale killer was a regular at strip club

"Wearing a low-cut halter dress, a red-haired dancer who goes by the stage name Scarlet testified Thursday in the capital murder trial of John Hummel, telling jurors that he was a regular client at the topless club where she worked and texted and phoned her repeatedly.
"I would make at least 100 bucks every time he came in, at least," said GB, 35, who said she's been dancing on and off since she was 18. "He knew my schedule."

GB told the jury that, on several occasions in late 2009, Hummel tried to get her to come to the Cleburne hospital where he worked nights as a security guard to "smoke weed and do other things" but she never did...."

more at link

And:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/23/3174574/kennedale-man-visited-topless.html

Kennedale man visited topless bar after killing family

"With his family dead in Texas, John Hummel headed to California, where he visited a topless bar before going into Mexico with a guy he just met to try and buy drugs...."

more at link

More witnesses called. Hummel had a troubled childhood. No question about it. He still could have walked away....

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/24/3178426/jurors-hear-about-convicted-kennedale.html

Jurors hear about convicted Kennedale murderer's background

"....The jury is now hearing evidence in the punishment phase to determine whether Hummel should be sentenced to death or to life in prison without parole. Before the defense witnesses were called Friday, a computer forensic investigator testified that during the first week of December 2009, about two weeks before Hummel killed his family, someone used a computer in the office of a doctor at a Cleburne hospital to access websites and articles titled "The Effects of Rat Poison on Humans" and "Rat Poison Symptoms in Humans," among others. Hummel was working nights as a security guard at the hospital...."

and

"....The defense team.....called Hummel's friends and family and his high school special-education teacher so jurors could hear about his childhood and upbringing in Jonesville. Many characterized Hummel as a quiet, introverted kid who had a learning disability and loved playing video games...."

and

"....But perhaps the most compelling witness was Hummel's sister, who gave jurors a glimpse of their upbringing in a small house on a farm in South Carolina. She said they were raised by strict churchgoing parents who rarely showed them any affection and regularly beat them with a belt. "If you were in trouble, you got three licks on the bottom, and if you moved, you got five more," she said. She said that she was expected to take care of Hummel, who was nine years younger, including feeding him, bathing him and putting him to bed. She said they were rarely allowed to socialize with others and were expected to do what their parents said with no questions asked. Once, she said, she and Hummel saw their father engage in a sex act with another woman in their home while their mother was in a different room...."

and

"...Hummel's sister acknowledged that she saw anger in her brother at times and was afraid that he would cut up their parents with a sword...."

more at link

You know, Joe, I'm a staunch pacifist. But there are times when I'd be lying if I didn't admit to wavering a bit. This is one of them. What kind of monster stands at the kitchen sink and weighs his options of leaving his family. There is no crime in falling out of love and wanting out. One can simply walk out the door and sent a letter that it's time to move on. Yes, there will be a few court hearings and that pesky issue of having to support your own children but hey, you get to go live with whomever you wish.

But no, Hummel considered that option and then picked up a dull knife, various swords and a bat and beat and stabbed the life out his beautiful family. I see no mental illness, no drug component. Just cold blooded killing. Not rage, but calculated murder.

For some reason, the photos of little Jodi on her mom's MS page always stayed with me.

Wow, I think maybe there are only two degrees of separation rather than six. This weekend we had a houseguest and her precious two preschoolers who just left today, friend of my dil's. She told me about this case and is Joy's cousin and has been quite traumatized by this. I did not know of this case, but as soon as she told me, I knew I would find it here at Websleuths; what an awesome community of people who care! What is causing so many people to be disconnected from their humanity and kill their own family? It is chilling.

Onelove--I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. I have to say that I haven't seen many cases as cold-blooded as this one. It's far different than one committed in the midst of a psychotic break, a deep depression or a fury.

How could a man make the choice he did? And carry out that choice?

From my link above:

"....According to Hummel's sister, who also testified in her brother's capital murder trial Friday and is not being identified for fear of retaliation, Hummel hadn't moved to Texas at all. He just wanted LH [a former girlfriend] out of his life, she said...."

More at link

OK, what's this all about? Fear of reprisal, fear of retribution, fear of retaliation? From whom? The killer is locked up. I've not seen a single statement that he had help with this crime. Does a man with this many problems really have connections in prison who could hurt these witnesses? Is it common to shield the witnesses such as they are doing? And why only shield the identity of some and not others?

How hard could it possibly be to figure out who his sister is, for heaven's sake? I'm not going to do that as it's against our TOS, but most of us could come up with that name in a matter of a few minutes. I don't get it.

Why is John Hummel's MS still up and who's accessing it? "Too much on my mind to think str8t" on Dec. 6, 2009. Hummel killed his family on Dec. 17, 2009. That comment alone, speaks to a plan, IMO.

http://www.myspace.com/johnfiredragon

It's very clear who his sister and other family members are. My heart goes out to each of them. Even little Jodi's on there. Tragic.

Onelove--I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. I have to say that I haven't seen many cases as cold-blooded as this one. It's far different than one committed in the midst of a psychotic break, a deep depression or a fury.

How could a man make the choice he did? And carry out that choice?

Missizzy- I have been pondering whether "obsession" is a psychotic break in it's own right. It is so unfathomable that a father and husband can do these things it just seems that he couldn't possibly have been in his right mind at the time. I have seen otherwise logically thinking and feeling people go off the deep end during obsessive relationships. From what I have seen, I would categorize *advertiser censored* obsessions as such and this particular murderer did continue to frequent strip bars even during his affair with the other woman. I also wonder if Joy's family saw warning signs in him and worried about her safety and welfare.

IMHO, when they say 'fear of reprisal,' I THINK they're talking about coming from the public. Not from the suspect, def.

This case may have brought out a lot of the people who would be relentless for anyone speaking on this case. They could stalk her and make her life miserable. Send her threats of bodily harm and even death.

That's how I took it, fwiw
JMHO
fran

PS....during the Chelsea King investigation here in San Diego County, when the now convicted murderer was first arrested and people learned where his parents lived, and where he was staying at the time of the crime, I think, .................anyway, people wrote things on their garage door, telling them to move, etc. At times the public can be relentless. :(

I'm not sure if Joy's MS page is still up but there were a number comments on it concerning "regrets" and apologies and even a comment from her that Hummel (something like, "Don't do that again!!") scared her. I imagine that Hummel was just barely able to maintain his behavior enough to stay in this marriage.

And ITA, he certainly seems to have some sort of obsessive personality disorder. His family lives quite frugally, and yet he spent a huge amount of money on strippers.

ETA: Correction. The comment from Joy is on Hummel's MS page which is still open and shows that it was last accessed on June 23, 2011. Maybe some of the info is being used in the penalty phase of the trial by one of the attorneys.

"Jul 8 2007 8:48 AM......TO THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, I AM VERY BLESSED TO STILL HAVE YOU IN MY LIFE.... DON'T EVER SCARE ME LIKE THAT AGAIN....I LOVE YOU ALWAYS!!!!!!!! YOUR WIFE"

Why is John Hummel's MS still up and who's accessing it? "Too much on my mind to think str8t" on Dec. 6, 2009. Hummel killed his family on Dec. 17, 2009. That comment alone, speaks to a plan, IMO.

http://www.myspace.com/johnfiredragon

It's very clear who his sister and other family members are. My heart goes out to each of them. Even little Jodi's on there. Tragic.

I have a brother that was in prison, they were not suppose to have cell phones but they did. The guards would sell it too them. Then take them away and sell them to the prisoners again. So while my brother was in prison he got on Facebook regularly. That maybe how this guy is getting on too.

Death. While I'm not a proponent of the DP, as I'm a strict pacifist, I do understand how the jury came to their decision. I think this article was already running when the jury came back with the verdict.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/27/3183673/jurors-to-decide-punishment-for.html

Kennedale man sentenced to death for killing family

"John "Johnny" Hummel grew up in a house without love, reared by parents who rarely hugged or held him. "Emotions were not allowed in the Hummel home," testified Antoinette McGarrahan, a clinical psychologist who interviewed and diagnosed Hummel after he killed his family and burned down their Kennedale house. "They were told to shut it up, dry it up and suck it up."

Because Hummel was unable to express joy or sadness, or deal with childhood problems -- including being teased as a kid -- McGarrahan said he stuffed his emotions away until he finally blew up on Dec. 17, 2009. "I think he stuffed his emotions for 30-something years ... and they came out in a flood of emotional rage," McGarrahan testified. "At the time of the offense, there was not much thinking going on..."

Update: The jury has sentenced John Hummel to death.

more at link

I would agree with the doctor that not "much thinking was going on" but I don't understand the comment about rage. He simply wanted out. He could have walked away. He made a calculated decision to kill those innocent people. He'd researched methods. He's as guilty as they come. Evil.

A bit more:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/06/28/3186128/tarrant-county-jury-sentences.html#ixzz1Qhm5SdEC

Kennedale man sentenced to death for killing family
Posted Tuesday, Jun. 28, 2011

"Three days after he killed his family and burned down their Kennedale house, John "Johnny" Hummel told investigators during a videotaped confession that he deserved the death penalty. On Tuesday, jurors gave it to him.

The jury in state District Judge Ruben Gonzalez's court deliberated about three hours before assessing the ultimate punishment for Hummel, who on Dec. 17, 2009, fatally beat and stabbed his pregnant wife, Joy, 34; and then beat to death his disabled father-in-law, Clyde "Eddie" Bedford, 57, and his 5-year-old daughter, Jodi, with a baseball bat...."

more at link (plus 15 photos)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avatour360