TX TX - Julie Moseley, 9, Mary Trlica, 17, Lisa Wilson, 14, Fort Worth, 23 Dec 1974 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please continue here

Link to part 1
TX - TX - Julie Mosley, 9, Mary Trlica, 17, Lisa Wilson, 14, Fort Worth, 23 Dec 1974 - #1
JMoseley.jpg
MTrlica.jpg
LWilson.jpg

Julie Ann Moseley - left
Mary Rachel Trlica - center
Lisa Renee Wilson - right
I saw on the news today that they have found 3 cars at the bottom of Benbrook Lake and they believe they may be connected to the disappearance of these 3 girls. They are planning a dive in September. Prayers for some closure for these families.

I saw on the news today that they have found 3 cars at the bottom of Benbrook Lake and they believe they may be connected to the disappearance of these 3 girls. They are planning a dive in September. Prayers for some closure for these families.

This what the Go Fund Me campaigns are for on the Facebook page set to public now. The last I looked they hadn't raised nearly as enough as they say they need, but they've still got some time and there were some other fundraisers posted there as well.

Yes, I did use Newspaper.com. Unfortunately the Fort Worth Star-Telegram wasn't archived there. I had to find copies of their stories elsewhere poking around the internet. Newspaper.com had several stories from a few other local papers, I can't remember if Houston Chronicle was one of them off the top of my head. The Cuero Daily Record had several stories. Newspaper.com is where I found the clipping from Vernon also. I was really pleased to find it, because I'd seen that lead pop up before but till then I'd never been able to trace it back to a contemporaneous source. There was also a paper with a story in France I remember, because one of the girls had an Uncle that lived over there, but it didn't contain any new information.

Jumping in for a second here - TG (and any other sleuthing locals who are interested!): are you from the Fort Worth/Tarrant County area? If so, you can get a Courtesy Card from TCC to use their databases (I'm not sure if you can access the online databases from home with a Courtesy Card, but I would think you'd at least be able to access them from within the library itself). Any Texas resident from outside of Tarrant County can go to their nearest participating library to get a TexShare card and use that to get a Courtesy Card as well.

The reason I bring this up is because TCC has the best free access to news databases that I've been able to find so far. They have an account with Newsbanks' "Access World News - Historical and Current" database, which has an archive from the Star-Telegram going as far back as 1902. I was able to find several contemporary articles from the time period that the girls went missing from. The same database is fantastic when sleuthing other cases from elsewhere!

(If you live in the Arlington/Mansfield/Kennedale/Grand Prairie area or have a TexShare card I'd highly recommend looking into getting a card with them too, just because of the awesomeness that is the MORe Library program.)

I'd highly recommend that any of y'all out there who live near a local college/university look into the databases they have available and if possible, consider looking into getting an account with them.

Okay, nerdy librarian rant over. To keep this comment relevant to the actual topic: I saw the fundraiser link on my timeline when I opened up Facebook this morning (I'm not even in the group that has been mentioned in this thread, but every so often something from it shows on my timeline). It was already at almost $2000 when I first saw it and then when I went back a few hours later after reading some of the newer posts in this thread, it was up another couple of hundred. I have confidence that they'll be able to raise the full amount by the time the fundraiser ends. Even if those girls aren't down there after all, at least we will be able to strike that theory out.

RaysaDawn, thanks for the tip about the library. I'm in Seattle but the information is still helpful as there are cases I'd like to delve into locally and I imagine our library system has a similar set up.
I agree with you that they are likely to raise the necessary funds given how much time they have. Rusty has a separate Go Fund Me account on his Missing Trio website as well with about $2400 in it. The last donation was just a couple hours ago. I'm not sure why they are doing it this way, but I hope and assume they are planning to combine the two campaigns.
I also agree with you it's good to at least eliminate this theory.
Here's a link to the news story for anyone who may be interested. Unfortunately they get the part about the gifts wrong as usual. Are Abandoned Cars in Benbrook Lake Tied to Missing FW Trio?

All the Fort Worth Star Telegram articles are available at the Downtown Library on microfilm. I know because that's how I got them. Destroying 3 clandestine graves won't answer the important question to THIS case.
Looks like I'm going to Austin. Good thing I know how to use a microfilm machine.

All the Fort Worth Star Telegram articles are available at the Downtown Library on microfilm. I know because that's how I got them. Destroying 3 clandestine graves won't answer the important question to THIS case.
Looks like I'm going to Austin. Good thing I know how to use a microfilm machine.

Hi, FW Cat, Nice to meet you! I've read your previous posts and I was curious about your thoughts on these fundraisers to get the cars out of the lake.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that article. The early reporting of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram was very good and since it was contemporaneous I think one of our more reliable sources of information. I used many of their early stories as sources for my own article, in fact. I don't think their reporting started getting sloppy till the early 2000s. At that point they began to basically rehash the same story every time they ran it, with perhaps a new quote from Rusty or the like. The problem with that is that once they got a piece of information wrong (for instance the car being full of gifts), they began to repeat it going forward. Kind of like a game of telephone.

Last edited:
What is wrong with this newspaper article?
Good question.

It might be confusing at the time, the letter did sound like a confession to her parents about something she ought not do.

Another point of note was that the article was published in the evening of Dec 25, meaning that if the envelope was not presented together with the letter at first, it did not take 2 days to re-surface either.

Good question.

It might be confusing at the time, the letter did sound like a confession to her parents about something she ought not do.

Another point of note was that the article was published in the evening of Dec 25, meaning that if the envelope was not presented together with the letter at first, it did not take 2 days to re-surface either.
My point, how ever vague, is this: The Arnold family formed an instant bond with the media. This is not an example of journalistic error. It is proof of lies and misdirection from the beginning.

Oh, my gosh, Sally Kimball, I just skimmed the article and completely missed that it said that. FW Cat I'm sure that's why you posted it. Interesting. Fortunately they didn't go on repeating that particular error for long.
Nope! Many fuzzy-details become AP fodder for decades. What I want to do is gather all the newspaper clips into a single PDF and post it. Intelligent people reading the articles back-to-back will see the shifts and know who has everything to lose...

I would find it very disturbing if Rachel's mother sided with her son-in-law, to protect him.

That is the picture that is starting to emerge, though. Just when I thought this case couldn't get any crazier-- or more sordid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sylvanianvicious