TX - Leslie Squair Baker, 59, murdered in driveway in broad daylight, Dallas, 25 May 2020 *ARRESTS*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's really unbelievable - pretty brazen crime IMO
I'd like to know where she was before arriving home in her car. Could someone have followed her?

Was the intent to rob? I don't think so - I think she assumed that was happening when she saw the killer follow her/approach her.

Did they have an altercation at some previous location?

Or was this targeted specifically at her, which, I admit, it looks like.

But multiple gunshots in the middle of the day? Who? Why?

jmo

I'd like to know where she was before arriving home in her car. Could someone have followed her?

Was the intent to rob? I don't think so - I think she assumed that was happening when she saw the killer follow her/approach her.

Did they have an altercation at some previous location?

Or was this targeted specifically at her, which, I admit, it looks like.

But multiple gunshots in the middle of the day? Who? Why?

jmo
and while she was talking on the phone which the killer had to have seen, right? how would they know someone wouldn't come out of the house to greet her, help carry groceries, etc?
perplexing
JMO

and while she was talking on the phone which the killer had to have seen, right? how would they know someone wouldn't come out of the house to greet her, help carry groceries, etc?
perplexing
JMO
From other reports I’ve read, her husband and family were inside the house when she was murdered. None of them heard a thing.

I’m from the area and have actually driven down that very street where she was murdered. To paint a picture of what the street is like and just how brazen this killing was-

Preston Hollow is one of Dallas’s older neighborhoods. It’s tucked away in north Dallas, west of US-75, south of Loop 635, and just east of Preston road (major north-south street in Dallas). While those highways and roads are obviously very commercial, Preston Hollow is quite the opposite- an almost postcard-esque neighborhood completely tucked away from the neighboring businesses. When you’re driving through it, you completely forget you’re in a big city. The streets are covered by a canopy of huge oak trees, and the yards are immaculate. While there are some newly-built mansions within Preston Hollow, many of the homes are more like Mrs. Baker’s, one story houses built over 50 years ago, with large square footage, upgrades and updates galore, and big yards. It’s the kind of neighborhood where it’s almost impossible to drive down the streets and not see at least a few people out in their yards, kids playing, deliveries being made, etc. If one were going to commit a murder, Preston Hollow would be one of the least optimal places to do so.

From other reports I’ve read, her husband and family were inside the house when she was murdered. None of them heard a thing.

I’m from the area and have actually driven down that very street where she was murdered. To paint a picture of what the street is like and just how brazen this killing was-

Preston Hollow is one of Dallas’s older neighborhoods. It’s tucked away in north Dallas, west of US-75, south of Loop 635, and just east of Preston road (major north-south street in Dallas). While those highways and roads are obviously very commercial, Preston Hollow is quite the opposite- an almost postcard-esque neighborhood completely tucked away from the neighboring businesses. When you’re driving through it, you completely forget you’re in a big city. The streets are covered by a canopy of huge oak trees, and the yards are immaculate. While there are some newly-built mansions within Preston Hollow, many of the homes are more like Mrs. Baker’s, one story houses built over 50 years ago, with large square footage, upgrades and updates galore, and big yards. It’s the kind of neighborhood where it’s almost impossible to drive down the streets and not see at least a few people out in their yards, kids playing, deliveries being made, etc. If one were going to commit a murder, Preston Hollow would be one of the least optimal places to do so.
thank you it sounds nice - and normal. a whole lot of gunshots for a robbery IMO

No one in the house heard a thing? Wow. So where was she? I would like to know this too.

I’m going to predict that the shooter was wearing a disguise. MOO
I think it’s safe to say she definitely didn’t recognize her killer, whether due to a disguise being worn or just not knowing the person. You wouldn’t tell someone you were being robbed if a person you knew was pointing a gun at you.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6130-Royalton-Dr-Dallas-TX-75230/26756592_zpid/
long driveway IMO
Homicide on Royalton Drive
Homicide on Royalton Drive
On Monday, May 25, 2020, at approximately 5:00 p.m., Dallas police responded to shooting call at 6130 Royalton Drive. Upon arrival, officers observed the victim, Leslie Squair Baker, a 59-year old white female, sitting in the driver seat with an apparent gunshot wound. Officers pulled the victim out of the vehicle and immediately began performing first aid before the arrival of Dallas Fire-Rescue. The victim was transported to an area hospital, where she died from her injuries.

The Dallas Police Department – Homicide Unit is asking that anyone with information regarding this offense, contact Detective E. Montenegro at 214-671-3624 or via email: e.montenegro@dallascityhall.com. Please refer to case #092727-2020.

A mask at minimum...probably shades and a hat too moo

Darn pandemic...”yeah the guy in the mask”...
Yeah, the masks part of the pandemic really does change the way we look at people, doesn’t it? I recently went out for the first time in almost a month to pick up a to-go order, and when I saw the number of people wearing bandanas or other similar coverings as masks, the thought really struck me how, just 2 months ago, people would have been on edge and definitely noticed if a guy walked into a convenience store wearing a mask. The thought on everyone’s mind who was in that store at the time would have been “robbery”. Now it’s just “person concerned with health safety”. Crazy times.

The person who committed this murder could have been wearing a mask and seen by multiple people prior to committing the crime (perhaps while following her or staking out the neighborhood awaiting her return), and nobody would have thought anything of him/her based on his/her appearance.

Perfect description. Tucked away is totally accurate. Had to have followed her or knew specifically where she lived. Targeted? Lots of speculation here in town.

Perfect description. Tucked away is totally accurate. Had to have followed her or knew specifically where she lived. Targeted? Lots of speculation here in town.
Pure speculation on my part, but my guess is the latter. Due to the pandemic and most people still staying fairly close to home, there are fewer locations where hits can be carried out. For some potential victims, that might even be limited to home or work.

Still, even if it was the case that LB mainly stuck to work and home these days, I would think that gunning her down in her front driveway in the middle of Preston Hollow at 5 pm on a holiday known for cookouts and outdoor activities would be about the WORST possible choice a killer could make. Whether it was in fact a robbery or a planned murder, could it not have waited 1 more day? Could it not have been carried out at a different, less busy time of day? Could the killer not have picked a less conspicuous location?

None of it makes sense. The amount of shots fired, low crime rate location of the crime, lack of anything being reported as stolen, <modsnip> all point towards a targeted killing. But the timing of the murder, both the day and time, and the extremely public nature of the killing point towards a very poorly-planned and almost hasty crime of opportunity. Very bizarre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pure speculation on my part, but my guess is the latter. Due to the pandemic and most people still staying fairly close to home, there are fewer locations where hits can be carried out. For some potential victims, that might even be limited to home or work.

Still, even if it was the case that LB mainly stuck to work and home these days, I would think that gunning her down in her front driveway in the middle of Preston Hollow at 5 pm on a holiday known for cookouts and outdoor activities would be about the WORST possible choice a killer could make. Whether it was in fact a robbery or a planned murder, could it not have waited 1 more day? Could it not have been carried out at a different, less busy time of day? Could the killer not have picked a less conspicuous location?

None of it makes sense. The amount of shots fired, low crime rate location of the crime, lack of anything being reported as stolen <modsnip> all point towards a targeted killing. But the timing of the murder, both the day and time, and the extremely public nature of the killing point towards a very poorly-planned and almost hasty crime of opportunity. Very bizarre.
The part of this that is so overwhelming is the over kill. One shot or maybe two, but 6 to 9!!! <modsnip> I have friends in that area and they have told me they're scared!! I hope there is an arrest soon....

Last edited by a moderator:
See my post here in another thread—we were just discussing “murders on holidays”:

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Is the holiday significant?
Interesting thought for sure. I would be curious to see if there is any data out there on whether holidays experience a spike in violent crime rates or not. I know that some holidays like Christmas and New Year’s Day can be particularly upsetting/depressing for some people.

But my guess would be that, if more more murders do occur on holidays, it’s likely more due to an availability/opportunity factor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back