TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The garage apartment looks small and I believe the bathroom was off the kitchen. There has been some talk that she may have been backed into the kitchen and "fell" backwards into the bathroom. IDK but the kitchen may have been close to the front door.
I think we might have a sketch of the garage apartment in earlier threads. I'll try and find it.

KAITLING ARMSTRONG MURDER TRIAL

Next Witness: Katy Conner, APD, assigned to homicide unit.Conner was not the #1 or #2 detective on the case, but she was involved. Conner says at least 6 detectives working on this case at one time. She says it it typical collaboration.

On 5/12, she came into work. She learned that Strickland was being interrogated at APD. She watched the interview from a TV in a safe space at HQ. Conner started to reach out to other units to help out with video canvassing.New info helped the detectives realize that they needed to speak to Armstrong right away. They learned she had a warrant for a separate issue, and so detectives went to pick her up.

Kaitlin Armstrong was brought in to APD. Spitler was interrogating Strickland, so Conner offered to interrogate Armstrong.We are about to watch that interrogation video. Defense objects to the publication of this video. Judge overrules the objection and video gets put up on the big screen.

Prosecution is going to play the interview in its entirety and then will go back and ask Conner some follow-up questions.

Video: You can see Armstrong from above in the interrogation room. She is wearing a green athletic tank top and leggings. She walks in handcuffed. She asks for a water. She sits in the bottom left corner. There is a circular wooden table to her right. The space appears small and well-lit. The date shows 5/12 @ ~12:46pm.Conner walks in and introduces herself. She instructs a fellow officer to remove her handcuffs. They hand her a water. "We'll get through this really fast," Conner says to Armstrong.
Armstrong sits back in the chair and massages her wrists from where the handcuffs were. She hasn't touched her water. She seems calm with her legs crossed casually.Inside the courtroom, Armstrong does not appear to be watching the video very closely. She keeps her eyes trained on the desk in front of her. Each member of the jury is looking at the screens in front of them.

Video: Conner enters the room and explains that she is at APD for a "theft of service warrant," something that Conner tells Armstrong is minor.Armstrong isn't clear what theft of service is or what she is accused of. Her voice sounds a little shaky. She asks if she needs an attorney present. Conner explains that there are two separate issues: the warrant and needing information about "a separate incident."Conner explains she's going to need to read her her rights which confuses Armstrong more. Conner leaves the room after a loud knock at the door is heard.

Video paraphrase: Well, good news, Conner says. That warrant has the DOB wrong, so you are no longer under arrest. But Conner says that she would still like her to stay so she can answer some questions...Kaitlin again says she would like an attorney present. Conner says that you are free to leave at any point since you are not under arrest."Everything we say here is consensual at this point. The door is open, you can leave at any point," Conner says.

Armstrong tells Conner that Colin told her that "someone in the cycling community has passed away."Conner says that she believes there is a lot more to it. She wants to hear Armstrong's side. She says there's almost always a lot more and that's why she wants to hear both sides.

Conner says it sounds like "Colin went out with this girl" and "you might have been upset about it.""It's not accurate," Armstrong replies.Conner asks what you were doing yesterday. Armstrong says she would like to leave. Conner says that's your choice, but then we only have one side of the story to go on. Tries to convince her to tell her side of the story.

"I would like to leave. I don't actually know [about if Colin hung out with Wilson], and I would like to leave," Armstrong says more forcefully.Conner reveals that Armstrong's car was seen near the crime scene and she wants to hear her side of the story."I would like to leave if I am free to leave," Armstrong says. "I would like to leave if I am free to leave," Armstrong repeats.

Back in the courtroom, Conner says her goal was "to find the truth." She wanted an explanation about why Armstrong's Jeep was at the scene, but she wasn't a suspect yet. Just a person of interest.

Conner being asked to examine Armstrong's body language in this video: When Armstrong is first told that she can leave, Armstrong asks to leave, but doesn't shift her body or move to the door. She stays virtually still except for a head nod.

At one point, Armstrong agrees with Conner that it would be good to share her side of the story. But she never does.When trying to convince Armstrong to spill, Conner is actively trying to pin Strickland against her. Insinuating that Strickland is "revealing all" in the other interrogation room, so it would be wise for her to tell-all. Armstrong doesn't bite.Conner admits to the courtroom that "she wasn't showing any emotion.”

Conner explains there's a back-and-forth to interrogations. It's a push-and-pull between the interviewer and interviewee trying to get information from each other. Conner states it's her opinion that since Armstrong was asking to leave but not moving from her seat, she was trying to also gain additional information from Conner about what APD knew about her possible involvement.

Q: "Was he talking to this girl?" A: "I would like to leave. I don't actually know. I would like to leave.
"Q: "Okay, that's totally your choice and the door is open, you are welcome to leave. But again, that limits us to where we only have one side of the story. Your vehicle was seen next to the house and we need to talk about that, okay... Maybe you were just upset and you were in the area or something? I don't know since I don't have your story."*Kaitlin nods her head in agreement*

That was the totality of the interview. Conner arranged a transport for her to go home. Conner's suspicions were raised after this interview. She felt flagged by her body language, the lack-of-denial Armstrong offered.

Conner says she ended up writing a DNA search warrant for Strickland/Armstrong. Neither were at the residence when served. Spitler coordinated with Colin to do the DNA warrant at another time. They were unable to locate Armstrong.

On 7/2, Armstrong was picked up from Costa Rica and brought to Houston, TX. She was transported to HPD homicide unit for a 2nd interview. Detective Conner went down to interview her.

We are now looking at a series of photographs.

First picture is the property that Armstrong had when transported to Houston. Includes one black roller bag and a brown zippered bag. The bag had various papers and items in it. Inside is a piece of paper with a receipt for cosmetic surgery. The amount shows $6,350 dated 6/23/22. The name on the receipt is "Allison Paige.

"There is also a United boarding pass from EWR to SJO. The name shows Christie Armstrong. The date shows 5/18/22.

Another picture shows a wallet with various cards: Healthcare cards, three drivers licenses, a social security card, credit card and a AAA card.

More credit cards mostly belonging to Kaitlin Armstrong but one credit card belonging to Colin Strickland.

A picture showing a piece of paper with "debit card numbers."A picture of paper with a phone number and two different names: "Brian Roark" and "Jason Snoll."

Conner says Roark is a defense attorney.

A picture of the passport for Christine Elizabeth Armstrong. Inside the passport is a stamp from Costa Rica dated 5/18/22.A picture of Kaitlin Armstrong's passport. There is no Costa Rica stamp from customs.

Various medications found inside the bag.

A phone, two SIM cards, two Walmart reciepts from the Ben White location in Austin.

Looks like she loaded up $500 to a debit card. The other transaction is a cellphone.

More Photos:A handful of cash. USD, pesos and currency from Costa Rica.Opened suitcase. There is still the airline tag that shows from AUS to IAH (Austin to Houston).

Conner has now donned a pair of black surgical gloves. The state has brought her an evidence envelope and has asked her to open it. Inside is a passport belonging to Kaitlin Armstrong. Conner is asked to flip through to the page where a Costa Rica stamp would be, but there is none.Also inside is a passport for Christine Armstrong. Conner identifies the Costa Rican stamp and the assistant district attorney walks the passport around for the jury to see with their own eyes.

No more questions from the State. Defense's turn.On 5/12/22, Conner says she had been a homicide detective for about a year. She had been a cop for 9 years before that. Defense asking about APD's policies and procedures, which is a handbook given to each APD officer.

Defense asking about whether or not policies and procedures were followed. Asking about the interrogation process, seat placement, whether or not Armstrong had her phone. Conner clarifies that her time with Armstrong at APD was an interview, not an interrogation.

Conner says she had planned to read Armstrong her Miranda Rights, but since she learned she was no longer under arrest, she never did.Conner says someone has to be clear and unequivocal when they demand an attorney for an interview/interrogation to stop. Defense is pushing Conner to answer whether or not Armstrong invoked her right to an attorney, which was not granted. State objects, saying this issue has been litigated before the trial began.

Conner admits that the warrant was good all along. Since Conner never verified her DOB, she never realized that the warrant was still active. Essentially, APD let Armstrong, their eventual murder suspect who had an active warrant for her arrest, free after less than a 30-minute interview.

Defense questioning if APD/Conner truly was allowing her to leave if that was her right.Conner says no one told her to stay in Austin or remain in Texas. APD never instructed her not to travel. Conner agrees that on 5/12, she was free to travel anywhere she wanted.

State redirect: Conner says that at no point did APD instruct Armstrong to get her sister's passport and leave the country.

No further questions. Witness excused.We are now taking a 15 minute recess.

So why didn't she get up and leave? She's told she can leave, says she wants to leave several times yet doesn't leave? Seems to me that her not leaving was an intentional act to preempt the questions, statements and recording of same becoming inadmissible.
I believe she (allegedly) murdered MW, so I'm imagining she was in deep conflict right then. Her protective instincts would have been screaming to get the H out of there (flight) or possibly stay still (freeze) or a combo (explains the emotionless vibe). Or maybe a more rational part of her was vying for control of her urge to flee- realising/imagining how sus it might look, yet she couldnt help expressing urge to flee in words to compensate for not actually doing so. Sort of like a playing out of inner conflict. Speculation only.

ETA (allegedly).

Last edited:
I too believe she allegedly committed this crime of murder. She does deserve a fair trial and hasn't been convicted yet! I wouldn't want to be the one to say she did it because I wasn't there. Let this play out in court. If for some reason (doubtful imo) she isn't convicted, I would not want to slander someone. moo

@alcaprari23

APD contacted Allen for assistance in recovering data from a locked iPhone 11. APD didn't have the right tools and software to access the data. The Secret Service has this capability and often assists local law enforcement, including testifying at criminal trials.

12:39 PM · Nov 9, 2023

Allen says the software is cost-prohibitive and hard to get, which is why his lab has a better ability to get into a phone than local law enforcement.

Allen says he communicated with Det. Spitler about an iPhone 11. He says they didn’t have the ability to bypass the Passcode and asked for help. Allen says he received the iPhone 11 from the detectives.

State pulls up an exhibit. Allen says it’s a GreyKey report. Allen is listed as the examiner, meaning he performed the work on the iPhone 11. The device information contains, unique device ID, IMEI, Owner name, and passcode. The owner name reads Kaitlin.

Allen said they were able to recover the passcode and generated an extraction of all the possible data. Allen says imei is the number just for that phone - a way to identify.

@alcaprari23

We are now looking at a forensics report the Secret Service generated using GrayKey software. The report shows that this iPhone 11 Pro belongs to Kaitlin Armstrong. Passcode: 0427.Allen says "brute force" was initiated on the phone, meaning approximately 100,000 four-digit number combos was used on the phone to get it to open. Once the passcode was recovered, all possible data was extracted.

12:46 PM · Nov 9, 2023

@alcaprari23

Allen can't recall if pictures were taken of the phone or if it was just extracted. Allen says the extraction isn't physical. The phone is plugged into a data port and a program runs. Allen says APD didn't try to perform an extraction because they didn't have the tools needed.

12:54 PM · Nov 9, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members