TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

KAITLIN ARMSTRONG AFTERNOON THREAD
This morning we heard from a DNA analyst who said it was highly likely that Armstrong's DNA was found on Mo Wilson's bike at the crime scene. A medical examiner showed us pictures of the gunshot wounds Wilson sustained. Live tweets below.
2:57 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Next Witness: Pamela Mazak, Criminal Intelligence Analyst, Cold Case and Missing Persons Unit, Texas Attorney General's Office.Former APD Crime Analyst for 20 years.
2:57 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Mazak helped detectives analyze the cell phones and extraction data. She also looked at the Jeep infotainment system. We are going to look at call detail records.
3:03 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Because the cell phone records are so voluminous, it is too difficult for the witness to easily explain to a jury. For that reason, it appears we are going to instead look at a PowerPoint presentation that Mazak created.
3:06 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

Sidebar over. The PowerPoint has been admitted into evidence without objection. We are now about to view it.

Presentation:
Methodology was using databases from cell phone companies. Call Detail Records document the network interactions to and from the cellphone, including date, time, duration, number called and calling number. CDRs use cell towers to pinpoint cell placement.
3:23 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Cells are considered radios that scan the cellular network looking for the best signal from the cell sites. It is often the closest cell site, but not always. Various factors affect signal quality.
3:25 PM · Nov 14, 2023

I'm going with the "one last F you to MW" theory. The famous line from the Wizard of Oz comes to mind - the wicked witch says to Dorothy: "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too." Insert "bike" for "dog." Mo's bike was her life and I'll bet that may not have even been planned on KA's part (who knows where it could be - in the garage even). Saw it by the door as she dashed out and did what she did with it.
I agree with the WOZ reference and that the bike was, as you say, the last F to her. At first I thought the bike was on the porch and KA messed with it which caused MW to open the door to check and KA shoved her way on in but then I thought that MW wouldn't leave the bike outside while she was out so she must have put it inside while she was gone. If she put it inside, did she have time to put it outside after she came home and was she putting it out when KA ambushed her.

It is possible that the unknown DNA on her gun belonged to either her sister, CA, or the woman who testified yesterday, Jill Zan, about teaching her gun safety. JMO

The other reporter specified it was male (Y chromosome).

Could be the store clerk where CS bought the gun, or even someone at the factory where the gun was assembled and packaged.

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

The location of cell towers are often determined by population and anticipated capacity/use. Generally, there are more cell towers with partial overlapping coverage in urban areas and less cell towers in rural areas.
3:28 PM · Nov 14, 2023

We are looking at Kaitlin Armstrong's cell records, received from Verizon. Phone was disconnected on 5/16/22.
Mazak was asked to analyze Armstrong's data from 9/1/21-5/15/22.
Location information is provided for calls only, location information is NOT provided for texts.
3:33 PM · Nov 14, 2023

I agree with the WOZ reference and that the bike was, as you say, the last F to her. At first I thought the bike was on the porch and KA messed with it which caused MW to open the door to check and KA shoved her way on in but then I thought that MW wouldn't leave the bike outside while she was out so she must have put it inside while she was gone. If she put it inside, did she have time to put it outside after she came home and was she putting it out when KA ambushed her.
That's an interesting idea, although Caitlin Cash warned Mo about not leaving the bag outside because of theft, so she probably wouldn't have been putting the bike outside unless she was about to take a ride before bed...

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

The location of cell towers are often determined by population and anticipated capacity/use. Generally, there are more cell towers with partial overlapping coverage in urban areas and less cell towers in rural areas.
3:28 PM · Nov 14, 2023

We are looking at Kaitlin Armstrong's cell records, received from Verizon. Phone was disconnected on 5/16/22.
Mazak was asked to analyze Armstrong's data from 9/1/21-5/15/22.
Location information is provided for calls only, location information is NOT provided for texts.
3:33 PM · Nov 14, 2023
That's interesting. And if she had Gmail or any kind of Google app, that could have been tracking her as well. I use Google Maps on my phone, and not long ago activated all location data just out of curiosity. It's pretty accurate. Sometimes off a few hundred feet but often right on the nose. I wonder if they looked at other app data on her phone like this.

I wonder if someone was waiting for her out there somewhere.
I've been wondering the same thing. She spent months preparing for the escape. But where was she going to go? She had no money, no phone, no resources. Would she just waltz into a homeless camp or shelter? There were no other options. Unless...

I've been wondering the same thing. She spent months preparing for the escape. But where was she going to go? She had no money, no phone, no resources. Would she just waltz into a homeless camp or shelter? There were no other options. Unless...
And yet prison calls are supposedly recorded, but they probably don't have enough staff to monitor them. How would she call someone to set up a plan without it backfiring if the call was indeed monitored?

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

Before going into the mapping, Mazak is also sharing that she looked at the cell phone data of Strickland and Mo Wilson, as well. Armstrong's data will be mapped in yellow, Strickland's in blue, Wilson's in green.
Only mapping locations with accuracy of <= 200 meters.
3:42 PM · Nov 14, 2023

The locations of interest: Fort Clarke Home, Deep Eddy Pool, Pool Burger Bar and crime scene in East Austin.
3:43 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

There is now a timeline of Kaitlin, Colin and Mo's communication on 10/28/21. Kaitlin and Colin text back and forth, including the text: "I know you know better than to show up at Meteor with that girl." There is a phone call from Kaitlin to Colin. Kaitlin also calls Mo at 6:34 pm. That call lasts 1 minute and 28 seconds. At 6:41 pm, Kaitlin calls her sister Christine Armstrong and speaks to her for 23 minutes.
3:46 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

There is now a timeline of Kaitlin, Colin and Mo's communication on 10/28/21. Kaitlin and Colin text back and forth, including the text: "I know you know better than to show up at Meteor with that girl." There is a phone call from Kaitlin to Colin. Kaitlin also calls Mo at 6:34 pm. That call lasts 1 minute and 28 seconds. At 6:41 pm, Kaitlin calls her sister Christine Armstrong and speaks to her for 23 minutes.
3:46 PM · Nov 14, 2023
Oh, the information that her sister could share…but the question is will she?

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

Later on at 6:53pm, Colin responds to Kaitlin. "Could you please be an adult?"

Later, "Mo left for Meteor with friends an hour ago. I am not going because I am trying to respect you"... "Yet, I'm not feeling respect from you."

Kaitlin responds: "Not the best feeling is it."

Colin: "Yeah, you sure are paying it back."

3:50 PM · Nov 14, 2023

And yet prison calls are supposedly recorded, but they probably don't have enough staff to monitor them. How would she call someone to set up a plan without it backfiring if the call was indeed monitored?
Maybe it was set up with someone inside the jail that she befriended and/or promised to pay. Someone that may have been released prior to the escape day or someone who knew someone who knew someone that could help.

Edited to correct punctuation error.

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

About an hour and a half after Kaitlin's phone calls Mo's phone, Colin texts Kaitlin: "Did you call Mo? Wtf?"
"Sorry, I can't talk right now," is the response.
3:51 PM · Nov 14, 2023

We are now fast forwarding to May 9 & May 10, 2022.
Kaitlin's phone views Mo's Strava profile once on 5/9/22 and four times on 5/10/22. Mo Wilson arrived in Austin at 4:47pm on 5/10/22.
3:53 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

On 5/11/22, the day of the murder, Mo texts Colin at 9:01am: "Whatcha thinking?" Kaitlin and Colin's phone records show an arc location that most likely means they were at home. Mazak says it is hard to be precise with location data. Mo's location is likely Cash's apartment.
3:55 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Kaitlin and Colin's phones leave home for a morning bike ride around 9:00am. Mo texts Colin for the first time of the day one minute later.
Colin's phone continues to Lockhart while Kaitlin's turns around and heads home. This path matches her Strava activity of the day.
3:58 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Alex Caprariello
@alcaprari23

Colin responds to Mo at 11:12 am after returning from his bike ride: "I rolled out early with my buddy...I never heard from you!"
Moriah wonders if the two are having phone troubles again. In reality, the phone issues of the past were likely a result of her phone number being blocked without either of them realizing it.
4:00 PM · Nov 14, 2023

At 12:41pm, Mo texts Colin: "Do you have plans tonight? Cash has a dinner with some college friends who are visiting so I'm on my own." At 1:31pm, Mo goes on her own bike ride.
4:01 PM · Nov 14, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member