GUILTY TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good points. Why do you think, then, that Dr. Maureen Burrows, forensic psychiatrist, was a potential witness, but was never called?
Maybe the good doctor herself said she couldn't help so they struck her name from the list? Wish I knew.
All this.
Though IIRC: a witness list from the Defense includes people who can be called during the Guilt Phase. Further there is no list for those called in the Penalty Phase....and the latter group can sit through the entire proceedings whereas someone on the Witness List (guilt) who has been sworn in cannot sit through the Guilt phase unless they are an Officer of the Court. Am I correct in all that?
If so: and if its also a fact that she entered the court room yesterday, then she had disqualified or withdrawn as a Guilt Phase witness. This may have been due to her own recognition that she had nothing to offer the Defense considering what had been presented up to that time or to put it more succinctly: The psychiatrist was convinced that KA was going to be convicted irrespective of what she was willing to say...

None of that indicates why she could not participate in the Penalty phase and I would have though that anything she had to contribute was properly portion of the Penalty presentments.....Lot of P's there but no war dance.
So my deduction would be that should the psychiatrist have gotten to the point where she was willing to testify that KA was legally insane, there would have been a Defense motion to change the plea in the midst of the Guilt phase, probably immediately following direct examination of the psychiatrist.
Other than that: What did the Psychiatrist have to bring to the table during the Guilt phase? Was she in fact present during this afternoon's proceedings?

Almost forgot: IANAL and MOO and similar

KA could face up to 99 years in prison. The prosecution did not seek the death penalty. moo
I have read, and seen it reported that the penalty can be 5-99 years in prison, but I keep seeing journalists saying she can get LWOP. I get that 99 years is in effect a life sentence, but I would assume that the possibility of parole accompanies that, albeit perhaps unlikely to be granted. Can anyone absolutely verify what the maximum penalty she faces is?

@alcaprari23

Matt says he spoke to her daily in the months before she died. He says she helped him with his depression. At one point, Matt says she suggested they text each other three of the best things that happened each day. They continued that tradition for weeks.

4:24 PM · Nov 16, 2023
"Three best things". I love this! This is the positive takeaway I will remember from this horrible nightmare. Sending people I love three best things... About them, about our time together, about the future... in honor of Mo. Share positivity. She was such a bright light. I love (and hate the reason why I'm) reading about what a special person she was.

I wonder if any of the jurors will speak after the sentencing. I hope so.
I'm sure everyone would be very interested in their thoughts and what motivated them to make such a quick verdict decision.
It's obvious they were on the same page, but I'd like to hear what the most compelling and airtight testimony was for them.

After only two hours of deliberation Kaitlin Armstrong is found guilty of murdering Mo Wilson in Austin.

Kaitlin Armstrong was found guilty of the murder of Anna Moriah Wilson on Thursday after only two hours of deliberations by Travis County jurors. The 35-year-old Armstrong faces up to 99 years in prison.

Wilson, a rising star in the world of competitive cycling who had been staying at a friend’s house in East Austin in preparation for a race in Dallas, was found dead on May 11 with two gunshot wounds to the head and another to the chest. Suspicion immediately fell on Armstrong, who, police suspected, had tracked Wilson to the house and shot her out of jealousy after Wilson had met Armstrong’s boyfriend, Colin Strickland, for a swim.
So, all important question. Judging from her eyebrows in the two photos, what was the eyebrow surgery KA had in CR?

@alcaprari23

Christine says she moved to Austin in 2019. Kaitlin moved in 2012. Yoga was a huge part of her sister's life. "She's always been a loving, caring, beautiful, bright light.""She's just such a special person. She's always been such a special person. I've always looked up to you. I've always looked up to her. I just love her so much and I hate that she's been painted in this light. She's not a bad person. She's a really good person, she's always cared for other people and if you ask anyone who knows her, they would say the same thing."

5:53 PM · Nov 16, 2023
Genuinely curious... Does her sister believe the entire trial was a farce? MOO

Genuinely curious... Does her sister believe the entire trial was a farce/
I think KA and CA are not only sisters, but are probably also best friends and confidants. They traveled the globe together, they lived together for a while, they share many common interests. I doubt they kept many secrets from one another. JMO

Last edited:
From what I’m reading, LWOP is only available in capital murder cases, as a minimum sentence alternative to the death penalty. Looks like 99 years is max.

Texas became the last of the death penalty states to approve life without parole in September 2005, after Harris County prosecutors dropped their opposition to the change. The law applies only to offenders convicted of capital murder.

A jury has found Kaitlin Armstrong guilty of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 25-year-old professional cyclist Anna Moriah “Mo” Wilson in Texas in May 2022. In Texas, the conviction carries a possible sentence up to 99 years in prison.

Allright, so if I were forewoman and this were the trial. I may have felt compelled to illuminate to eleven of my peers (and alternates) that if we decide at 4:30 on Thursday we wrap this up overtime and invite questions as to the depth of our deliberations and we are all expected at normal life tomorrow morning. If we decide at 10:30 am on Friday, we have clearly deliberated, and we all get Friday afternoon off, and we have visibly DOJ (done our jobs). Let’s watch and see. I’d be doing mad optical management right now as forelady.

I think KA and CA are not only sisters, but are probably also best friends and confidants. They traveled the globe together, they lived together for a while, they share many common interests. I doubt they kept secrets from one another. That is all I will say. JMO
Right, CA’s answer to Rickey seemed on the edge of snarky. That catch me if you can, prove me wrong, I’m a warrior princess, stands with a fist kinda thing
Rickey just dismissed her. LOL

JMO

11-16-23

Vehicle satellite records, phone-tracking data and surveillance video from a nearby home showed Armstrong’s Jeep driving around the apartment and parking in an alley shortly before Wilson was killed.

Data from Armstrong’s phone showed it had been used that day to track Wilson’s location via a fitness app that she used to chart her training rides.

Investigators also said shell casings near Wilson’s body matched a gun Armstrong owned.

Jurors heard the frantic emergency call from the friend who found Wilson’s body, saw the gruesome police camera footage of first responders performing CPR, and heard audio from a neighbor’s home surveillance system that prosecutors said captured Wilson’s final screams and three gunshots.

In closing arguments, KA's defense tried to make a big deal about disparity between the vehicle tracking infotainment data and KA's cell phone location data. In other words, the vehicle GPS (Global Positioning System) is nearly always more accurate.

Vehicle tracking systems are known to use satellite or assisted GPS (A-GPS) whereas KA's phone location tracking was most likely serviced by cellular network radio signal triangulation and WIFI positioning where the receivers can be subject to GPS drift, not generally associated with true satellite or A-GPS. MOO

GPS Accuracy: There are a number of factors that affect accuracy no matter what GPS receiver is being used. The GPS radio signals encounter differing conditions while travelling through the atmosphere, causing signal delays, and therefore affecting accuracy. The geometry of the satellites being used will also vary.

The GPS will have a wider array of satellites to choose from if you're out in the middle of a big field, versus being on 6th Avenue in Manhattan. You will get better positions if the satellites you're locked onto aren't clustered in one part of the sky. Therefore the more sky view you have, the more accurate your GPS will be. In addition to blocking your view of the sky, urban canyons can also cause multipath effects, where the GPS signal bounces off of buildings or other objects reducing accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bfred1221