Found Deceased TX - PFC Vanessa Guillen, 20, Fort Hood military base, items left behind, 22 Apr 2020 *arrests* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be precise, that is what is alleged by TM. We don't know who he spoke to, what kind of authority they had, what kind of decisions had been made about how to communicate with TM and between CID and FBI teams, etc. IMO, frequently what's seen as incompetence is a misunderstanding of what is going on behind the scenes.
Thank you for reminding me I did not credit TM. I've edited my post to reference the account as alleged by TM. I always appreciate any response when my post is unclear.

In a way, I think long term may be a good thing? Think of it this was as a possibility for the positive? That if they took ALL the evidence, the Fort Hood folks would bury any and all investigation process. But if they left some... the "outside of Fort Hood" LE and FBI now have some evidence for their investigation which the military would have never ever shared?

Just looking for a silver lining on such a .....
This makes me very sad, if the way to solve a murder and protect young women is too have multiple layers of investigations because you know the primary one will fail and cover things up.

This has to change. It shouldn't be this hard.

This case has gone horribly wrong. Thank you for your silver lining. Hopefully change will be made and I don't think it can be without congressional oversight.

Woman charged in disappearance of Fort Hood soldier transferred

CA was transferred Friday from Bell County to McLennan County to face federal charges. She arrived at the McLennan County Jail on State Highway 6 early Friday afternoon. She’s scheduled for an initial appearance before a U.S. magistrate judge at 11 a.m. on Tuesday.

Does anyone know the troops that either VG or AR were in? I ask because I know that while they were in the same 3CR squadron, it's my understanding that they were working in separate arms rooms and VG left hers to go check with AR on gun serial numbers. I'm trying to map out the distance and final crime scene (AR's arms room) as it relates to visibility and possible witnesses.

I found a structure of 3rd Cav on wikipedia, so it may not be entirely accurate, but here is how VG and AR's squadron is structured.

Regimental Engineer Squadron (Pioneer)
  • HHT (Railsplitter)
  • Alpha Troop(ARES)- Engineer Troop
  • Bravo Troop (Sapper)- Engineer Troop
  • Charlie Troop (Centurion)- Signal Troop
  • Delta Troop(Ghost rider)- Military Intelligence Troop
  • Sustainment Troop (Tomahawk) – Squadron Support Troop
KCENTV reported that VG was in Tomahawk, the Sustainment Troop. Army Times reported that AR is a combat engineer and in the same squadron as VG but in a different troop. Stripes.com reported that AR was in Alpha Troop.

Last edited:
Running behind a bit on this case, but just saw this article -- please forgive if it's a repeat. The details we're hearing now are absolutely horrible. Why do all that to this young, innocent daughter, soldier, and human being?
Unbelievable, but it's not...
------------------------------​

Political News

Complaint: Missing Texas soldier was killed at Fort Hood

Tags:

Posted July 3, 2020 10:45 a.m. EDT
Updated July 3, 2020 12:08 p.m. EDT
By ACACIA CORONADO, Associated Press/Report for America

AUSTIN, Texas — Federal and military investigators say a soldier missing since April was killed and dismembered by a fellow soldier stationed at the same Texas base. The revelation followed demands for the Army to release details about its investigation of the disappearance.

A criminal complaint released Thursday by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Texas charges a civilian with helping hide the body of 20-year-old solider Vanessa Guillen. The document, prepared in conjunction with the Army Criminal Investigative Command and the FBI, says the civilian helped the other soldier get rid of evidence after he bludgeoned Guillen with a hammer at Fort Hood in Central Texas and later dismembered and dumped the body.

------------------------------​
More here:
Complaint: Missing Texas soldier was killed at Fort Hood :: WRAL.com

You make a good point about reporting. I would also say that anyone she told is most likely not going to go to the leadership and say anything so they don't jeopardize their career. If you say something after she goes missing, then, your unit might hate you for getting them further investigated. Word against word with a dose community retribution-- not a safe environment.

That is why it is always good to be primarily motivated by integrity and the ability to value being able to look at yourself in the mirror at the end of the day instead of what anyone else thinks of you and chasing a career in an institution that victimizes you.
Leadership qualities the military so often speaks about are quite the opposite of succumbing to the lowest common denominator of your unit - "Word against word with a dose community retribution-- not a safe environment"
Leadership lacking down the chain of command.

I suppose one has to assess what energy and time one puts into something, that which is valued. A certain amount of casualties might be acceptable to leadership? I can only wonder with how things have gone here. Really don't see adequate measures, so I have to wonder.

The article is from Crime Online and the complaint has been shared from Scribd by Leigh Egan who is very trustworthy. IMO it was just an oversight and not someone holding back the missing page. Just guessing.

Scribd was called "the YouTube for documents", allowing anyone to self-publish on the site using its document reader. The document reader turns PDFs, Word documents, and PowerPoints into Web documents that can be shared on any website that allows embeds.

So, a glitch in Scrbd? Leigh Egan is exceptionable. When I see her byline, I know it's going to be a great report. :) She would be the last person I would question with her level of integrity. I figured that somehow she wasn't given the entire document.

I found a structure of 3rd Cav on wikipedia, so it may not be entirely accurate, but here is how VG and AR's squadron is structured.

Regimental Engineer Squadron (Pioneer)
  • HHT (Railsplitter)
  • Alpha Troop(ARES)- Engineer Troop
  • Bravo Troop (Sapper)- Engineer Troop
  • Charlie Troop (Centurion)- Signal Troop
  • Delta Troop(Ghost rider)- Military Intelligence Troop
  • Sustainment Troop (Tomahawk) – Squadron Support Troop
KCENTV reported that VG was in Tomahawk, the Sustainment Troop. Army Times reported that AR is a combat engineer and in the same squadron as VG but in a different troop. Stripes.com reported that AR was in Alpha Troop.

Thank you! You've been a great help!

There is both a freedom from retaliation for reporting a criminal act and a whistleblower.
The Military Whistleblower Protection Act, Title 10 U.S.C. § 1034, as amended, prohibits any person from taking, withholding, or threatening any personnel action against a member of the Armed Forces as reprisal for making or preparing any protected communications.
Looks like that Act was created in 1978. It is going to take years to actually put it into practical protections. We have great ideas, it takes hard work and a lot of time to make them real. Many generations and much enforcement before the troops realize the meaning behind that Act. A work in progress and unfortunately hard to hold troops and leadership accountable to. In time.
Somewhat like it wasn't until the 1970's it finally became illegal to rape your wife, only in 1993 was it illegal to rape your wife in all 50 states.
The History of Marital Rape Laws

Ya, we are not quite there yet. Women in the military know that.

I'm still trying to understand TM's comments on the NG show. He is criticizing Army CID, correct? But, since the remains & earlier evidence was located off base wouldn't local LE (& according to them FBI was involved from the beginning) be the ones collecting evidence? I'm confused about the jurisdiction. IMO

Anyway, although I hear & respect TM's frustration, I do wish he would've waited to speak out to the media until after the suspects were in custody. His comments that the remains were VG's and some description of the crime scene could have ultimately compromised the investigation resulting in AR realizing he was closed in & therefore fleeing & taking his own life. This is only my opinion & I know it will be an unpopular one, but if you look at the timeline of the discovery of the remains, TM spoke out that day saying it was VG, & gave some details about the scene. IMO

yeah that annoys me too
he needs to stop talking to the media until long after arrests or even after the trials IMO

Last edited:
Does anyone know the troops that either VG or AR were in? I ask because I know that while they were in the same 3CR squadron, it's my understanding that they were working in separate arms rooms and VG left hers to go check with AR on gun serial numbers. I'm trying to map out the distance and final crime scene (AR's arms room) as it relates to visibility and possible witnesses.

Just to say thanks for joining this thread with us with your good info! Although you have been a WS member for a year or so,

Welcome to Websleuths,
thecrimesheet !!

July 1, 2020

Partial human remains found close to Leon River during search for Vanessa Guillen

BELL COUNTY, Texas - The US Army says partial human remains have been found close to the Leon River in Bell County, an area of interest in the search for missing Fort Hood soldier Vanessa Guillen.

Army CID says no confirmation of the identity of the remains has been made at this point.

According to CID, due to "extensive investigative work," agents had returned to the area to conduct more investigative work. They discovered what has been described as "partial human remains" after analysis from a forensic anthropologist.

[..]

Agents are currently on scene with the Texas Rangers, the FBI, and the Bell County Sheriff's Office. CID says no other information will be released at this time.

Tim Miller of Texas Equusearch says the remains were found in a shallow grave near the river, and that the grave was so well concealed that the week prior, Equusearch, Texas Rangers, and military investigators with cadaver dogs all missed the grave.

He says they were “probably standing on top of [the grave]” when they found what he calls "evidence of Vanessa Guillen's disappearance" just three feet away. [i.e., the Pelican lid].

[..]

"After we found that evidence [Pelican lid], we just knew she had to be somewhere close," Miller said.

He says they believe animals helped unearth the grave. “How she was found, I'm a firm believer God had a hand in something on this.”

Rsbm:
Tim Miller of Texas Equusearch says the remains were found in a shallow grave near the river, and that the grave was so well concealed that the week prior, Equusearch, Texas Rangers, and military investigators with cadaver dogs all missed the grave.

He says they were “probably standing on top of [the grave]” when they found what he calls "evidence of Vanessa Guillen's disappearance" just three feet away. [i.e., the Pelican lid].

[..]

"After we found that evidence [Pelican lid], we just knew she had to be somewhere close," Miller said.

He says they believe animals helped unearth the grave. “How she was found, I'm a firm believer God had a hand in something on this.”

Wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member