TX - Police officer resigns after violent detention of teenage girl

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any picture showing a crowded pool or pool area? All of the pictures and film I've seen merely show a smallish crowd milling around a street corner.

I don't know, I can only find one picture of them setting up the pool party. It sounds like there were probably 70 people there total, including the five crashers who climbed over the fence. I think the credibility of reports that there were more people then that there, is questionable. After the party was broken up, people probably dispersed in different directions. While that was happening the altercation between the "go back to section 8" woman and the girl occurred at the front gate. Police arrived, and started chasing black kids who were running to the corner where the video was filmed. The people in the video are those that were at that one location. Others could have already run out of sight or dispersed in different directions.

j77PCyN.jpg

There are, simply put, no excuses for his behavior, and I'm astonished we're seeing some here. As mentioned above, his chief called his actions indefensible; Casebolt has quit and apologized. And yet we read people blaming the teenagers, or saying Casebolt had a bad day, or that people were swearing. I hope he is charged criminally and sued civilly.

It's easier for people to blame the victims, then to admit that the people they support are not as perfect as they think they are.

So as a Texan who lives fairly close to McKinney I feel I should chime in. The problem all comes down IMO to no one giving respect. The kids didn't respect the rules, the security guard or the cops. The cop didn't respect that girl. If everyone would just give a little more respect to everyone, including themselves, the world would be such a better place. But respect is really something I have seen diminishing with a quickness in every facet of society.

I will say this, I do think teens are out of control. I remember being a teenager(it wasn't ALL that long ago), and the foolish things my friends and I did. I don't remember ever blatantly being disrespectful or cursing at adults. I remember sitting orderly in rooms after cops busted our parties and waiting for breathalyzers. However, it has been taken to the next level. My daughter and I have stopped going to the neighborhood park in the evenings because of the amount of kids there. There is a basketball court and lots of teen boys congregate there and I will tell you, I have never heard such filthy cat calls in my life. I am a mother, with my 2 year old daughter, and they still had zero respect on more than one occasion. These are not poor kids, these are well to do kids who most likely attend The nearby private Christian school. So it's not just one group or one demographic, a respectful teen today is sadly a pleasant rarity.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick of disrespect, and I don't care who it's coming from it has to stop.

Oh, yeah. Everyone always wants to look back on the behavior of their own generation of being much better ("we sat quietly in a room waiting for the breathalizers to be given" ?????). I'm of the generation that coined the term "generation gap." We weren't all that different (maybe a bit more mellow at times--but that's a different story). I just don't think this is a generational issue.

Consider for instance the adolescent behavior of Sean Toon--the guy who called the police: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/10/texas-pool-party-911-caller-convicted-felon

I just love these comments where folks say " why are teenagers so disrespectful? Why can't they just do what they are told? MY kids would never act that way" LOL
Give me a break. Let me tell you something. I have worked exclusively with 16-20 year olds for a decade from mostly well to do families, and you have no idea how your kids act when you aren't around. Not one sweet clue. JMO

I don't know about the generational gap or even how others have raised their children. However, I have lived a long time and I have never seen teens who seem to be so out of control or even smaller children for that matter as I see now and it crosses all races. It seem to start changing drastically a couple of decades ago. Why that is, I don't know. I suspect its a lot of things and not one specific thing. Some restaurants now are wanting to ban unruly children. I have never seen that in my life.

But when we were raising our five children we knew their lives would be much more than two parents unconditionally love. We knew it was very important for them to know how to converse with others who were outside of their own family. We knew we would always love them because that is what parents do but life isn't all about parents nor the children. Its how they learn to interact/respond to others that was important. It was a skill we knew they would need for the rest of their lives. Problem solving without being combative/arrogant and rude is very important for anyone to know.

We wanted our children to be loved by others or at least well liked. We didn't want our children to be any different when they were around others than when they were around us. We did not want them to be the kind of children who made other lives miserable just by being around them due to being disrespectful, unruly, and then later on become potty mouth teens.

We had them help feed the homeless, gather groceries for the less fortunate.... always aware that life does not center around them only. We taught them to always be respectful to others and abide by the law. To have strong convictions for what they believe in but always express it in a productive way.

They are all grown now and every single one of them are outstanding children who now teach their own children what they were taught. They have never tried to bully anyone or think they are better than others. And not one of them has ever had any run ins with law enforcement while growing up nor once they have become grown.

I am not saying we raised ours any better than other parents but I do know this.............I wouldn't change one thing about their upbringing and who they are today. It shows in each one of them they had strong role models that led by example and they had guidelines showing them what was right and what was wrong.

IMO

I don't know about the generational gap or even how others have raised their children. However, I have lived a long time and I have never seen teens who seem to be so out of control or even smaller children for that matter as I see now and it crosses all races.

With respect, people have been saying these things since the age of Aristotle.

With respect, people have been saying these things since the age of Aristotle.

Really? You mean the restaurant owners wanted to ban unruly out of control children?

Did they have shows showing small irate uncontrollable children throwing flaming hissy fits where a mental health doctor said if the child had been an adult and was that angry he/she would have hurt someone seriously or even worse?

Why are so many children on drugs today than ever before? Why is the defiance conduct disorder increasing when it comes to children?

IMO

I just love these comments where folks say " why are teenagers so disrespectful? Why can't they just do what they are told? MY kids would never act that way" LOL
Give me a break. Let me tell you something. I have worked exclusively with 16-20 year olds for a decade from mostly well to do families, and you have no idea how your kids act when you aren't around. Not one sweet clue. JMO

Hmm is this a petty putdown Cool? So you know these "folks?"

"I" didn't say why don't they do what they are TOLD. I said why didn't they do as the guards ASKED them to do? Are you saying teens don't have to do anything someone else wants done? Well that is going to go over like a rock when they are gainfully employed don't cha think?

Sure you know how your kids act. Good news and bad news gets back to the parents. You can tell if a person doesn't want to be around a child. They make every attempt to avoid them at all cost if they aren't pleasant to be around.

IMO

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".
(Hesiod, 8th century BC)

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
(From a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274)

In my experience. And I have had a lot with this age group. The entire Millennial generation has been raised with a sense of entitlement unseen in previous generations. Ask any teacher today their levels of day to day stress. Things have changed in the last ten years. Big Time.

That is so true. Look how many kids are attacking their teachers in the classroom now and some of the teachers are being hurt very seriously.

IMO

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".
(Hesiod, 8th century BC)

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
(From a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274)

Now fast forward to the 21st century and these great people would probably turnover in their grave to see how much worse it has gotten than even in their time.

if anyone is going to accuse anyone else of something along the lines of well documented history of racism then please provide links to back up your claims. Do not throw out volatile accusations like racism without backing it up with the facts.

Thanks everyone.

We are going to close this for the night.

We will open early wednesday morning.

Get your rest, take your vitamins, and be well.

Goodnight,
tricia

bumping........

Hmm is this a petty putdown about something you really don't have a clue about?

"I" didn't say why don't they do what they are TOLD. I said why didn't they do as the guards ASKED them to do? Are you saying teens don't have to do anything someone else wants done? Well that is going to go over like a rock when they are gainfully employed don't cha think?

Sure you know how your kids act. Good news and bad news gets back to the parents. You can tell if a person doesn't want to be around a child. They make every attempt to avoid them at all cost if they aren't pleasant to be around.

IMO

I think we are veering off topic here but I wasn't addressing your comment specifically. I hadn't even read your comments before I posted.

And, in my experience. 100% of parents have no idea how their children behave when they are not around. Not saying they are all bad, obviously there are different levels of misbehaviour, and not saying how they are raised doesn't have a positive or negative effect. I am saying that now, more than ever parents have less influence in total than they did even 15 years ago.

When was the last you saw MSM report ANYTHING positive?

Actually through the years I have seen a lot of heartwarming stories and some of them about police officers and what they did out of the goodness of their hearts with their own money or on their own time. From buying food to feed a hungry family to buying car seats for children and even being a mentor to a little child in need of a father. So they are out there and other heroic stories as well.

I stopped watching channels like CNN, MSNBC, ABC and NBC though because all I saw was something negative. I think that is why CNN and MSNBC have such poor ratings when it comes to viewers.

I love inspiring news. Its great to see it. It gives a fuller picture how so many, including police officers, are loving and caring people.

IMO

From working with kids in a psych unit/juvie atmosphere...kids often learn what they live. Yes there can be outside factors such as peer influence that play a big part too, but many times they learn what they live at home by how their parents treat them and other people.

Actually through the years I have seen a lot of heartwarming stories and some of them about police officers and what they did out of the goodness of their hearts with their own money or on their own time. From buying food to feed a hungry family to buying car seats for children and even being a mentor to a little child in need of a father. So they are out there and other heroic stories as well.

I stopped watching channels like CNN, MSNBC, ABC and NBC though because all I saw was something negative. I think that is why CNN and MSNBC have such poor ratings when it comes to viewers.

I love inspiring news. Its great to see it. It gives a fuller picture how so many, including police officers, are loving and caring people.

IMO

I don't think anyone is disputing that good caring people come from all walks of life. I think we shouldn't lump any one group as all good or bad.
The thing in this instance is video proof of one cop that didn't appear to be acting properly in his actions.
We have no proof that this group of teens did anything that would warrant being cuffed and or arrested. As a matter of fact the ones that were taken in were released and as far as I know no charges have been filed against them.
Slightly off topic...I used to argue to the death with folks that thought we needed to arm ourselves against the police and now I'm just not so sure of my stance.
Seems like more and more we hear reports with video evidence of LE shooting and causing harm to citizens for little cause. I do wonder at times.
IMO

Really? You mean the restaurant owners wanted to ban unruly out of control children?

Did they have shows showing small irate uncontrollable children throwing flaming hissy fits where a mental health doctor said if the child had been an adult and was that angry he/she would have hurt someone seriously or even worse?

Why are so many children on drugs today than ever before? Why is the defiance conduct disorder increasing when it comes to children?

IMO

My grandparents owned a business in the 1940's and my dad said they always complained about the "hooligan" kids and put up a sign in the window that nobody under 21 was allowed without an "adult".

Hilarious. The "hooligans" probably wore dungarees and rolled them up. Or smoked cigarettes.

My dad says he did far worse, but his parents always bragged about their two "fine" boys.

People always think their own kids are perfect. You aren't unique. We want to think te best of our kiddos while eyeballing those "terrible" other kids.

And i never sneaked out at night and smoked weed or hitchhiked to see the Stones. Because I made honor roll, you see! ;)

My grandparents owned a business in the 1940's and my dad said they always complained about the "hooligan" kids and put up a sign in the window that nobody under 21 was allowed without an "adult".

Hilarious. The "hooligans" probably wore dungarees and rolled them up. Or smoked cigarettes.

My dad says he did far worse, but his parents always bragged about their two "fine" boys.

Indeed. The arguments I made earlier were not about children always being worse (for if that was the case, we'd be in such chaos that we wouldn't be having this conversation). They were more about how, across time, many of us will just become more intolerant as we age. It's not a universal thing, but there are examples from every period of human history, every year and month of it that is documented, that some folks think that those younger than them are out of control. And perhaps they are -- but they have always been that way, as such is youth. Things have not been getting progressively worse. Goodness, crime rates in the US have gone down for a significant period -- but I'm not about to say that it's because people used to be worse.

Please forgive this OT, but I have to bristle at the tradition of youth bashing. These are the same youth that will be tending to us as we grow older and need them.

You know, as much as I like to talk about issues like this, I think that they stray somewhat from the topic at hand, and this is as much my fault as that of anyone else. I'm still a bit angry about the abuse of authority and the violence that came with it, but I have to respect the apology and resignation. At this point I feel like I have to wait for the next shoe to drop, and I am confident that it won't be in McKinney, so I think everyone can consider this as a step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joybird99