TX - Police respond to reports of shooter at Santa Fe High School, 18 May 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Children are coddled too much? Look at thread after thread here of children being abused, sold, beaten, murdered, tortured. Look how we send them to school and tell them they just have to deal with some gunman decides it's their turn. Look how many kids are homeless. Look how we send 18-year-olds to war.

I don't think coddling children is a major problem in the USA. Quite the opposite.

Children are coddled too much? Look at thread after thread here of children being abused, sold, beaten, murdered, tortured. Look how we send them to school and tell them they just have to deal with some gunman decides it's their turn. Look how many kids are homeless. Look how we send 18-year-olds to war.

I don't think coddling children is a major problem in the USA. Quite the opposite.

We see extremes on both ends from coddle to authoritarian. There are a lot of people who were abused or had awful childhoods and turned out fine, while others were not abused and had everything turn out bad.

So many factors with no one clear answer. Modern life is not healthy.

I honestly could not love your post more. You nailed it. I have been saying the same thing to my friends. Kids have NO coping skills. And no social skills. The fault lies with US, the parents. Nothing will ever change until we accept responsibility for our failures. But people don't do that. They play the blame game.

This website has information about ACEs Adverse Childhood Experiences. Some states have made laws about police, social services and doctors working together to identify children at risk.

https://acestoohigh.com/aces-101/

There is much research on relationship based teaching, teaching problem solvimg, teaching appropriate ways of dealing with anger and identifying emotions and expressing them.

I truly believe if as a nation we would start using this info, we would turn America around.

What is not needed is hitting kids, punishing them, making fun of them , and all of those negative things. Just as those kinds of things do not make us more loving adults, they do not help children at all.

We see extremes on both ends from coddle to authoritarian. There are a lot of people who were abused or had awful childhoods and turned out fine, while others were not abused and had everything turn out bad.

So many factors with no one clear answer.

I beg to differ. Kids who were abused may not turn out to be killers, but they sure are dealing with issues all of their lives.

I wonder how many kids raised in “loving”homes turn out to be killers. Seems like domestic violence is usually present.

I beg to differ. Kids who were abused may not turn out to be killers, but they sure are dealing with issues all of their lives.

I wonder how many kids raised in “loving”homes turn out to be killers. Seems like domestic violence is usually present.

Many people who were abused in their childhood do have problems, but they do not lash out violently, like some do.

There are many killers who came from seemingly perfect families and there was domestic violence. Charles Whitman comes to mind.

Not sure about Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.

USA doesn't make the list.

10 Top Countries for Child Well-Being According to UNICEF Report

Netherlands
Norway
Iceland
Finland
Sweden
Germany
Luxembourg
Switzerland
Belgium
Ireland

These rich countries have high levels of child poverty

A new Unicef report ranked 41 of the world’s wealthiest countries on how well prepared they are to meet the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals most relevant to child well-being.

It warned that in many of the countries studied higher incomes have failed to improve the lives of all children. This was notably the case in the United States and United Kingdom, where one in five children faces food insecurity. In comparatively poorer Mexico and Turkey this figure rises to one in three.

Overall child well-being report card, USA is at the bottom with Mexico, Romania, Cuba, and Bulgaria:

https://assets.weforum.org/editor/ah1vd5cqs5X0dfEDMSrYKsCKUT8ii8637KGQGlhIKIw.PNG

It seems like it gets worse and worse. More children are coddled too much. That is bad.

Then do more in your community to fix it? Be the change? These are our communities, our neighborhoods, our towns and cities. This is our country.

The problem is us. We’re the adults in this scenario.

I think the fact that people are on a message board like this that discusses the worst of the worse, cases where people are abducted and tortured and murdered. Serial killers. People are born this way and then they experience life different than everyone else. Events that wouldn't set a neurotypical person off, set them off, and they go on to commit atrocities. There are people who are truly born to kill

Blaming "coddling your children" is as stupid as Dan Patrick blaming the school having too many entrances and exits.

We need to prevent people from getting guns. GUNS ARE THE PROBLEM. Period. We need to punish the parents who allowed their weapons to be taken, who didn't secure them. They need to be charged with a serious crime.

I think the fact that people are on a message board like this that discusses the worst of the worse, cases where people are abducted and tortured and murdered. Serial killers. People are born this way and then they experience life different than everyone else. Events that wouldn't set a neurotypical person off, set them off, and they go on to commit atrocities. There are people who are truly born to kill

Blaming "coddling your children" is as stupid as Dan Patrick blaming the school having too many entrances and exits.

We need to prevent people from getting guns. GUNS ARE THE PROBLEM. Period. We need to punish the parents who allowed their weapons to be taken, who didn't secure them. They need to be charged with a serious crime.

❤️ ALL OF THIS

So much common sense in your post.

Yes, I said it.
This does not happen in other 1st World countries.
Okay, Rarely.
America for Sure leads the world in school shootings.
No debate there.The question is WHY?
WHAT are we doing wrong?
WHAT ARE OTHER COUNTRIES DOING RIGHT?
FAMILY.

Yes, I said it.
This does not happen in other 1st World countries.
Okay, Rarely.
America for Sure leads the world in school shootings.
No debate there.The question is WHY?
WHAT are we doing wrong?
WHAT ARE OTHER COUNTRIES DOING RIGHT?
FAMILY.

Well, it's true families in other countries don't own nearly so many guns.

This website has information about ACEs Adverse Childhood Experiences. Some states have made laws about police, social services and doctors working together to identify children at risk.

https://acestoohigh.com/aces-101/

There is much research on relationship based teaching, teaching problem solvimg, teaching appropriate ways of dealing with anger and identifying emotions and expressing them.

I truly believe if as a nation we would start using this info, we would turn America around.

What is not needed is hitting kids, punishing them, making fun of them , and all of those negative things. Just as those kinds of things do not make us more loving adults, they do not help children at all.

i think we need to be careful not to excclude social media it is horrible stuff

down the road the consequences are going to become clearer

were social animals just like dogs SM is so not that that in and of itself is isolating

and I would assume exhausting no down time folks are relentlessly getting things off their to do list that is a stresser

if it did not exist probably the endless refrain that we knew nothing would be diminished

SM is kids talking their feeling states out in the past to other human beings now days it is to a keyboard which has no feelings etc

I have teased anita ( who is addicted ) that if I emailed her a long email about my leg being bit off by an alligator her response would be

that must be terrible --

that is not a dialog --responding to each others texts and nonsense in and of itself is getting something off the list

it is minimizing.

I know I know it is a surprise I can be long winded! That for me has pretty well ceased - I dont like it one bit when i had taken time to communicate something and get a five word response

I despise typing! Using u instead of you sure feels like you are not giving me much attn now does it !

I hid a neighbors phone once had to end the joke earlier was concerned about a fatal heart attack

it is obnoxious

anita cant help but check her phone during theatre ( i quit going with her)

would any of us have bought a book to the dinner table how about the movies sitting in a car with other people

at traffic lights i look around and everyone is on a phone i have a big mouth what the hell is everyone talking about nonstop

going to the grocery store , in the past was not a group activity !! Mostly males (to avoid the doghouse after coming home with a rosa tomato as opposed to a regular tomato!)

at times in the grocery store look around you will find many males on the phone verifying what she is demanding. On that level it cracks me up

"social" media could be nothing further from the truth their is nothing social about walking around with ones head endlessly looking down with what is in essence an keyboard -- if someone was walking around with a calculator nonstop would that fly?

Next time your at a restaurant take note. Especially young people. I have always thought jezzzz if you all wanted to talk to other people why not invite them with you?

meeting Tom for dinner while you want to talk to Bill seems pretty flat out stupid to me !!

moo

I have hated all this stuff from the onset never had a cell phone never wanted one no facebook had only started to mess with twitter cause of the white house

has been a HUGE issue (me refusing to have cell) with step mother "what if something happened" well things happened 50 years ago -- were people missing funerals on a regular basis?

Car wreck - if she lived nearby (god forbid!) and I got in car wreck as far as I know she is not a trauma surgeon (!) so outcome would not be impacted

if you have not seen an active shooter drill go to YT it blew my mind seriously go watch one that in and of itself is trauma

in Parkland it really bothered me to see how cops came into kids classrooms screaming at the top of their lungs get down get down

people approaching other people with guns aimed at them in and of itself is traumatizing

being screamed at in and of itself is traumatizing

well i think rant is over

well that may not be accurate i have come back three times to add to this !!!!!!

i am so over this nonsense and all this foolishness about hardening our schools this is not a war zone (well at least it is not supposed to be)

i had better stop my rant at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member