TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in jail cell, Waller County, 13 July 2015 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not only that, but they release the video's piecemeal, one at a time. Some of them badly edited, so then they reedit them and release them again. :facepalm: There is so much cover up going on here.

I agree. How in the world do they think they can get away with this? The way it's been going though they very well might skate by. IMO

I don't think he knew he was going to kicked if that in fact happened. I do think it's possible he was trying to provoke some sort of reaction so his actions would be validated, and I can see him using pain to do so.
I wonder how many people have had LE take their glasses while cuffed for their own safety? Not many if any. IMO
When you think about it why would SB wait until another officer was pulling up to the scene to kick BE.

Before checking the subject's eyes, the officer asks the subject to remove eyeglasses or inquires whether the subject is wearing hard or soft contact lenses. While the removal of the eyeglasses makes it easier for the officer to observe eye movement, glasses do not effect the HGN test results

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/nystagmus/hgntxt.html

I googled "do police officers remove eyeglasses for safety". The link above was on the first page. This particular article relates mostly to tests for alcohol and refers briefly to other drugs and alchohol/drug combos. If you google HGN Marijuana, you will find numerous discussions about field sobriety tests for mj which pertain to testing the eyes reactions to assess drug usage/driving under the influence. It is better to perform these tests without the eyeglasses being worn.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/nystagmus/hgntxt.html

I googled "do police officers remove eyeglasses for safety". The link above was on the first page. This particular article relates mostly to tests for alcohol and refers briefly to other drugs and alchohol/drug combos. If you google HGN Marijuana, you will find numerous discussions about field sobriety tests for mj which pertain to testing the eyes reactions to assess drug usage/driving under the influence. It is better to perform these tests without the eyeglasses being worn.

Okay but he wasn't conducting a sobriety test. He took her down shortly after he took her glasses. IMO

Okay but he wasn't conducting a sobriety test. He took her down shortly after he took her glasses. IMO

I understand what you are saying. I just stumbled upon this info unexpectedly while googling for something completely different. Because of the high THC levels, I thought this could be relevant info. Maybe he DID detect unusual signs that indicated possible driving under the influence of something. Maybe he did have in his mind to perform some field testing. Not saying for sure, but given the mj info, it's possible. I think it's at least as likely that he sensed physical combativeness to be a possibility and removing the glasses is certainly a safety precaution. I don't believe it's necessarily because he felt that he himself would be the one to initiate.

So instead of being "missing" there was no recording at all. Big difference in my opinion.

I like how these rumors start with a little twist to the story.

What is the difference? Please explain it to me.

There were video cameras in all the cars. What have they released? They released the video from the first car. But the quality was so bad, and it was filled with so may weird editing loops, so they had to release it again.:facepalm:

The video from the second car, which would show everything, is unavailable for what ever reason. So all we have is audio of the discussion between the two cops, which sounds like a bad script. You saw her kick me, right? :wink::wink: Yes, I saw her kick you. :wink::wink:

What is the difference? Please explain it to me.

There were video cameras in all the cars. What have they released? They released the video from the first car. But the quality was so bad, and it was filled with so may weird editing loops, so they had to release it again.:facepalm:

The video from the second car, which would show everything, is unavailable for what ever reason. So all we have is audio of the discussion between the two cops, which sounds like a bad script. You saw her kick me, right? :wink::wink: Yes, I saw her kick you. :wink::wink:

Continue reading. You will see my point.

It never existed so it can't be missing. Saying that a police recording is missing in a controversial case implies some kind of coverup.

If evidence comes out that there was a recording and something happened to it then we have something to talk about. Until that happens, saying that the recording is missing is just a rumor. JMO

That is evidence of a cover up. Police are well known for turning off the cameras to cover up evidence of police misconduct. Example:

[video=youtube;DIktR3FZv24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIktR3FZv24[/video]

That is evidence of a cover up. Police are well known for turning off the cameras to cover up evidence of police misconduct. Example:

[video=youtube;DIktR3FZv24]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIktR3FZv24[/video]

Do you have a link saying the dash cam was shut off? The only link I have seen said that the memory on it was full. Two different things.

The rumor takes another twist.

JMO.

It's a ridiculous piece of writing. Comparing American LE to Middle East insurgents? I see nothing wrong with officers drawing their guns in these situations, securing the scene and then asking questions.

Since that man experienced both those situations, and you haven't, I think his opinion carries more weight then yours.

Once you have experienced waking up to the sound of police breaking down your door, and jumping on to your bed pointing guns in your face, then come back and tell us how much you enjoyed it. But I have a feeling that once that actually happens, you will change your mind pretty quickly.

Since that man experienced both those situations, and you haven't, I think his opinion carries more weight then yours.

Once you have experienced waking up to the sound of police breaking down your door, and jumping on to your bed pointing guns in your face, then come back and tell us how much you enjoyed it. But I have a feeling that once that actually happens, you will change your mind pretty quickly.

I never said the experience would be enjoyable. I know these things happen and it's very unfortunate. The world is never going to be perfect. However, I do feel that LE has every right and every obligation to their own families to use these measures when stepping into an unknown situation. Whether I've been in this guy's situation or not, I'm still entitled to my opinion and based on his writing, which I find juvenile and offensive, I place my opinion on equal par. I don't feel the need to discount my own common sense in deference to his viewpoint. Maybe a few unarmed citizens should have gone in there and kindly questioned him. Probably not too many volunteers for that. As it turns out, he wasn't a threat but nobody knew that at first. On the other hand, upon hearing people come through his door, he could have drawn a weapon and have had every right to do so. The police have every right to safeguard their lives and in the story linked, did not intend to take a life either.

Do you have a link saying the dash cam was shut off? The only link I have seen said that the memory on it was full. Two different things.

The rumor takes another twist.

JMO.

The first problem is that if you understood how dash cams work, you would understand that their statement is complete BS.

Tell me more about the videos I record with my dashcam.

A dashcam starts creating video files on an empty memory card. These video files are typically segmented into 1, 3, or 5 minute chunks, since it is easier to view and work with small video files on your computer rather than one long continuous file. When the memory card is full, the dashcam simply starts over at the beginning of the memory card, and in this way, never needs any attention from you until you have captured an incident on video that you would like to save. This is known as "loop recording", and is one of the most important abilities of dashcams.

http://thedashcamstore.com/dash-cam-frequently-asked-questions-v1/#101_q13

Which means that they didn't bother to save the video.

What Happens When the Storage Fills Up?

If you’ve ever used a portable recording device, whether it was a cellphone, digital camera, or anything else, then you’ve probably seen what happens when the storage media fills up. The device stops recording right then and there, and you have to either free up some space or insert a new memory card if you want to keep recording.

bbm

http://cartech.about.com/od/Security/fl/How-Does-a-Dashboard-Camera-Work.htm

However, I do feel that LE has every right and every obligation to their own families to use these measures when stepping into an unknown situation.

That is not our problem. That is their problem. If they have obligations like that, then they should find another line of work. Preferably a nice safe job sitting at a desk, with limited contact with the public.

<modsnip>

Looking forward to hearing some real facts about SB's death soon.

I agree. How in the world do they think they can get away with this? The way it's been going though they very well might skate by. IMO

Because they almost always do. Imo every time they get away with it, and see how much support they get, it emboldens them to do it again.

That is not our problem. That is their problem. If they have obligations like that, then they should find another line of work. Preferably a nice safe job sitting at a desk, with limited contact with the public.

<modsnip>

I don't know why it's so easy to tell citizens "Do everything a police officers tells you and don't be disrespectful" but it's impossible to tell a police officer "Don't break the law, don't kill innocent people, don't be disrespectful."

I understand what you are saying. I just stumbled upon this info unexpectedly while googling for something completely different. Because of the high THC levels, I thought this could be relevant info. Maybe he DID detect unusual signs that indicated possible driving under the influence of something. Maybe he did have in his mind to perform some field testing. Not saying for sure, but given the mj info, it's possible. I think it's at least as likely that he sensed physical combativeness to be a possibility and removing the glasses is certainly a safety precaution. I don't believe it's necessarily because he felt that he himself would be the one to initiate.

IIRC, the levels referred to in the autopsy would have had no relevance to any levels in Sandra Bland's system on the day of her arrest and incarceration. If I'm incorrect, then I hope one of the medical professional sleuthers will post the correct information. Sandra Bland was not stopped for weaving in and out of traffic, driving too slowly and causing traffic problems or any behaviour that would indicate intoxication. So implying that she was stoned while driving is a stretch. Again, IIRC, any presence of marijuana in her system on Friday would have been gone by Monday. The importance, in my understanding, of the level that is claimed on the autopsy results released by LE is that she must have ingested that drug while being held prisoner. So this should have nothing to do with BE. It has more to do with the conditions of the jail and the competency of its employees from the time Sandra was put into their custody until she died.

If BE did suspect Sandra Bland of driving while intoxicated, he could, and possibly should, have followed the correct procedure and conducted a sobriety test. But he didn't.

It's not a one way street, it really isn't. Policing has changed in the last 10-20-30-40 years, and it wasn't because they hired all ego-driven jerks.

I've tried to give a different perspective. What I've read here, by a few, (and NOT you, human!) is honestly, quite disturbing to me. Maybe because in "real life" if we encounter people with such animosity towards LE, we can talk and discuss in person and sometimes reason, or at least find common ground. Here, we don't have that opportunity.

It's a downer to me, honestly. I will still fight for the good and embrace the good that many first-responders do.

Ya'll have a great day, and stay safe :)

I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating you, Deputydawg, for providing us with a reasonable and fair-minded LEO's perspective about both BE's specific conduct and LE in general. Thank you for your LE service and for taking the time to post on this thread. :tyou:

<modsnip>

You too have a great day and stay safe! :)

What Happens When the Storage Fills Up?
If you&#8217;ve ever used a portable recording device, whether it was a cellphone, digital camera, or anything else, then you&#8217;ve probably seen what happens when the storage media fills up. The device stops recording right then and there, and you have to either free up some space or insert a new memory card if you want to keep recording. bbm http://cartech.about.com/od/Security/fl/How-Does-a-Dashboard-Camera-Work.htm

Interesting question, and I was curious too, so I found one law firm's description of the operation and use of police dash-cams.

Here is how modern dash cameras in police vehicles work. Dash cameras do not store every second of driving by a patrol officer, as the vast majority of such data would be useless. However, the dash camera systems do store all video inputs for a brief period of time, generally five minutes. The oldest data is constantly being replaced by new input. However, when an officer activates their blue lights, then this signals to the dash camera system to begin storing all recorded footage, as well as saving any footage still on the hard drive from the previous few minutes. Some agencies also allow officers to manually switch on the capability to store dash camera footage. This stored footage is then kept on a department hard drive until subpoenaed or deleted.

Because videos are stored digitally, instead of on a VHS tape or DVD, police departments would have to possess large amounts of hard drive space in order to keep all the videos on file indefinitely. As such, all law enforcement agencies in Wake County have a policy of erasing their dash cam footage a certain number of days after an arrest has occurred (90 days for most police departments). If the video from the dash cam is not subpoenaed within 90 days of a defendant&#8217;s arrest, it will be destroyed. From a purely technical standpoint, these policies make sense. Video files take up more hard drive space than the text from officers&#8217; reports, and police departments don&#8217;t often employ enough I.T. professionals to have their hardware and software regularly updated to improve storage capacity.
http://www.kurtzandblum.com/blog/dash-cams-not-put-to-good-use

I thought NBC's article was pretty informative too.

...But so far, clients aren&#8217;t using the new, digital cameras to save everything, said Gary Crowell, who runs IBM&#8217;s police video project.
Instead, they are electing to erase all but the most recent most moments of the video capture: When an incident occurs and an officer hits the siren, the computer preserves two to four minutes of the video immediately preceding the incident &#8212; a concept IBM calls &#8220;pre-recording.&#8221;
VIDEO CAN BE BEAMED BACK
In Yakima, 32 squad cars will be outfitted with Windows PCs and hard drives that can store about 50 hours of video, Crowell said. Nine other cities are also testing the system, according to IBM.
Going digital adds a host of new capabilities to police video, Crowell said. For example, GPS data can be embedded on the video file, adding evidence of a police car&#8217;s location that could turn out to be crucial at trial. Ultimately, video of incidents will be beamed back to police headquarters on wireless networks, allowing dispatchers to keep an eye on potentially dangerous situations.
But the real benefits of digitally stored video, as opposed to analog tapes, come later &#8212; when it&#8217;s time to find the evidence...
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3078632/n...ad-car-video-cameras-go-digital/#.Vbp-dSiYltU

So, it seems a lot of how much and in what way dash-cam information can be saved depends upon the choices made when purchasing the technology in the first place.

Things have strayed far and wide from the topic of Sandra Bland, her interaction with officer Encinia and Sandra's death in custody.

Please leave the discussion of gangs, cops in general, citizens in general, other police/citizen interactions, etc behind and return to the topic at hand.

thanks,

tlcya

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926