TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in jail cell, Waller County, 13 July 2015 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BBM: I keep reading she might not have known he had the right to have her exit the car. For somebody so into "rights", I find that odd. Also, ignorance of a law is not a defense for breaking it.

BBM: An alternative for why he removed her glasses: He felt because of her combativeness, she was a risk for physical confrontation and removing the glasses was for her own safety. Just like cuffing someone is for the safety of LE AND the detained. If the detained person is cuffed, that eliminates the possibility of the officer feeling threatened and is safer for the detained person because of that. It is a stretch, IMO, to say he was TRYING to get kicked by her.

It was already mentioned that SB would not look directly at LEO and balked at putting out her cigarette. IMO officer would require her glasses be removed to check her pupils. I have dark eyes and can get by with a lot more than my blue eyed cronies. Someone acting in the manner as SB was would definitely get my suspicions rising.

Since police issues are the new normal, I think a law should be made that there are questions that must be passed on the driving test re police encounters.

What to do so you don't get killed and what you should do if your rights are being violated.

Columbus police dash-cam data lost because of overload

Usually, when a cruiser or wagon pulls into headquarters, a substation or the maintenance facility, video uploads to the server wirelessly from the cruiser’s SD — or memory — card.

But with the server at capacity, that wasn’t happening, and the SD cards filled up.

The Police Division surveyed 260 or so marked cruisers with dash cams on Wednesday night. Of those, 31 had no space left on the SD card, meaning that recorded video wasn’t saved.

Maybe the Prairie View Police Department uses a system like Columbus and they had similar problems emptying the memory cards. It sure seems possible to me.

I will have to say that any coverup involving the "missing" dash cam video is a rumor unless we see some evidence to support it.

JMO

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/09/05/dash-cam-data-lost-because-of-overload.html

ADMIN NOTE: Speculation is acceptable when you can back it up with fact. Don't forget your links. ;)

I hit a paywall at the Statesman article, but the Texas Tribune has the hearings covered:

McCraw Hammered at Hearing on Bland Case
http://www.texastribune.org/2015/07/30/lawmakers-review-county-jail-procedures-following-/

Mental Health Jail Check Failed in Bland Case
http://www.texastribune.org/2015/07/30/texas-two-part-mental-health-jail-check-failed-san/
Thank you! Of particular note:

At the start of the hearing, lawmakers were told that a more thorough mental health evaluation and cell check procedure should have been done once Bland was brought to the Waller County Jail. If both had been done correctly, "it could have lessened the likelihood of this occurring, in my opinion," said Wood, executive director of the jail standards commission.
The Waller County Jail failed to complete a two-part mental health screening process required by state law during Sandra Bland's booking process, according to the state jail commission and at least one public policy group.

After Bland's death, the jail commission cited Waller County when it could not produce evidence that jailers had each taken two hours of mental health training, a component of the jail's suicide prevention plan filed with the agency into 2010.

I hit a paywall at the Statesman article, but the Texas Tribune has the hearings covered:

McCraw Hammered at Hearing on Bland Case
http://www.texastribune.org/2015/07/30/lawmakers-review-county-jail-procedures-following-/

Mental Health Jail Check Failed in Bland Case
http://www.texastribune.org/2015/07/30/texas-two-part-mental-health-jail-check-failed-san/

From the second link:

Waller County Jail officials did run a CCQ check on Bland shortly after she was brought into the facility on July 10. They informed the state commission it was done at 6:36 p.m. But they could not complete the query because of technical problems, they told the agency.

"This system was down and did not process a return," Waller County told the commission in an email. The check was eventually completed on July 13, at 9:16 a.m., after Bland was found hanged.

The Texas Department of Public Safety operates the computer network — known as the Texas Law Enforcement Telecommunication System, or TLETS — used to access the Texas Department of State Health Services mental service database. That system was working the day Bland was booked, said DPS spokesman Tom Vinger.

"We do not show that TLETS was down," Vinger said. "In fact, we show several transactions from the Waller County Sheriff’s Office over TLETS that day."

Looks like more pesky tech issues or glitches...hmm IMO

It's very important. It's the #1 crime in America, before murder, before child molestation. Disrespect of a police officer. The only crime that can get you executed without a trial.

If you feel that way, JMHO don't do it.

If you feel that way, JMHO don't do it.
That's kind of simplifying a very complex issue in my opinion. It would be lovely if we could always be polite to others - but if we aren't or if we can't be - does that warrant the treatment Sandra Bland received? It's just my opinion but I think it's rather moot whether Sandy was disrespectful or not as even the head of the DPS has stated BE was wrong.

McCraw conceded that Encinia was "rude" and had an opportunity to de-escalate during the course of Bland's arrest. "But he escalated."

I must be slow as it just hit me that was probably the reason. I would love to see video or accounts of his other traffic stops.
And his record...why such a secret?

Do you mean pick and choose which other stops to review? JMHO, since we don't know (rather I don't) what kind may or may not be in his personnel file. What if it were to come out that this was first time he found himself in this situation in the year he has been employed with this Department? I have not seen, and may have missed as I have been busy with real life, but has ANYONE else came forward from public that has had issues with Trooper BE? Other traffic stops, jmho would not be relevant unless same sort of issue. Because that is other drivers not relevant to this case. If I happened to be a citizen pulled over in a traffic stop by Trooper BE, no I would not want my video blasted for all the world to see. Especially in the atmosphere we live in today. Just like the traffic stop prior to SB, much has been said about that. We only saw the tail end of that stop and have no way of knowing anything that happened prior. We don't know if she was asked out of the car, her race (as some people want to make issue of and yet don't know any fact of her race. Heck she could have been Chinese for all we know.) JMHO

Do you mean pick and choose which other stops to review? JMHO, since we don't know (rather I don't) what kind may or may not be in his personnel file. What if it were to come out that this was first time he found himself in this situation in the year he has been employed with this Department? I have not seen, and may have missed as I have been busy with real life, but has ANYONE else came forward from public that has had issues with Trooper BE? Other traffic stops, jmho would not be relevant unless same sort of issue. Because that is other drivers not relevant to this case. If I happened to be a citizen pulled over in a traffic stop by Trooper BE, no I would not want my video blasted for all the world to see. Especially in the atmosphere we live in today. Just like the traffic stop prior to SB, much has been said about that. We only saw the tail end of that stop and have no way of knowing anything that happened prior. We don't know if she was asked out of the car, her race (as some people want to make issue of and yet don't know any fact of her race. Heck she could have been Chinese for all we know.) JMHO

One time is one time to many. Yes... I would like to know if others have had any issues with BE during traffic stops and if any complaints are in his file.IMO

BE tells SB that this officer (female officer) saw everything. Female officer confirms, yeah I saw everything.

Later BE asks female officer, did you what she did? She kicked me.

Female officer...'yes right there' points to BE lower leg. I saw it. BS IMO

Outside looking in on the situation from computer screen, is much different that being there in person. Just like when we heard the one sided conversation of Trooper BE phone call. We had the opportunity to see the video and hear. But we were not able to see all of Sandra Bland actions or demeanor inside the car or on the sidewalk. We weren't even able to make out all that she said from inside the vehicle. Look at the couple of transcripts people have done. Either leave words that were said or change words completely. (as one says she said Today, but she says YESTERDAY)

Outside instigators who don't know much of anything have got so many false rumors started. Even the Family Lawyer repeated some and ran with it. That's why they released the 3 days of video, showing SB was alive and well when she arrived at the jail. Some said she only made 2 calls... Heck I read and put together she made contact with at least 4 people. Now we know she was allowed to use phones that were not even the phones that inmates are supposed to use. Not taped/monitored calls, not the collect calls that all the other inmates have to use. This was ALL prior to SB choosing to take her own life. I have come to the realization that some people believe what they want no matter what the truth is. If it doesn't fit their personal agenda, belief system, doesn't matter what the truth is. I so far have seen NOTHING that shows anything that this had anything to do with race, the traffic stop OR the jail. JMHO

Outside looking in on the situation from computer screen, is much different that being there in person. Just like when we heard the one sided conversation of Trooper BE phone call. We had the opportunity to see the video and hear. But we were not able to see all of Sandra Bland actions or demeanor inside the car or on the sidewalk. We weren't even able to make out all that she said from inside the vehicle. Look at the couple of transcripts people have done. Either leave words that were said or change words completely. (as one says she said Today, but she says YESTERDAY)

Outside instigators who don't know much of anything have got so many false rumors started. Even the Family Lawyer repeated some and ran with it. That's why they released the 3 days of video, showing SB was alive and well when she arrived at the jail. Some said she only made 2 calls... Heck I read and put together she made contact with at least 4 people. Now we know she was allowed to use phones that were not even the phones that inmates are supposed to use. Not taped/monitored calls, not the collect calls that all the other inmates have to use. This was ALL prior to SB choosing to take her own life. I have come to the realization that some people believe what they want no matter what the truth is. If it doesn't fit their personal agenda, belief system, doesn't matter what the truth is. I so far have seen NOTHING that shows anything that this had anything to do with race, the traffic stop OR the jail. JMHO

I didn't follow this story from the start so it sounds as though I missed a lot of the rumors. I think it's that way with many cases. The media gets it wrong or it's transcribed from people that get a word here or there wrong.
Again it would be great if the HD wasn't "full" on the second patrol car and the male citizen was able to get more on his recording.
That would have answered a few questions at least.
I don't know about the race issue. I'm keeping an open mind on that one. I doubt if it could be proven either way. IMO

In reality, if we all think about it at no time did any of us witness any physical violence from her at any time. The person on either video being violent is.him she walked compliantly from the car after he yanked her out of the car, the next video all we see is him on top of a handcuffed woman. Where did any of us see any physical activity from her

Which video did you see which him on top of a handcuffed woman? In the cell phone video the person over SB is the female officer, Trooper BE, has his Trooper hat on. He is on her LEFT SIDE http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/ne...deo-Sandra-Blands-arrest-later-died-jail.html. Then he goes and opens the Prairie View female officers patrol car. The other patrol car dash cam, SB is already in the Prairie View patrol car. SB walked from her car to the sidewalk area, but she was not standing there and getting handcuffed she was moving around you can hear the Trooper telling her multiple time to stand still, so he could cuff her.

bail was done before it was discovered that he falsified his report, and that for some amazing reason the part of him talking to his supervisor on the phone magically reappearred on the the second video telease.

I dont know but a technical glitch that makes a video longer just seem like BS to me - the part that vanished is "hearing" him lie as oppossed to reading his fib on papers.

He called his boss that too, after he got his x together , appears to be CYA behavior - do the call there bosses after every arrest

all behavior has meaning

???? The video is the same in content, the only thing removed from the first release is the glitch of the looping of the veh turning and of the tow truck driver. The content of Trooper BE cell call is same as the first, the phone call was not disrupted on the orig video or skipping or anything. The stop and arrest had already taken place. At the time of the cellphone call, Sandra Bland was in the Prarie View officers car. Both video's are avail online. Common sense, when you remove those little bit of the glitch, it will make it go from 52 to 49 min of video. Audio didnt change. And JMHO, he called his boss because of how went down.

July 20, 2015, 11:07 PM
D.A.: Dashcam video of woman who died in jail backs cop

Authorities believe Bland also may have been trying to record the stop on her cellphone, Mathis said Monday. The FBI, which is heading the investigation of her death, was examining her phone to try to match the video to the dash cam video, he said. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/d-a-dashcam-video-of-woman-who-died-in-jail-backs-cop/

NEWS
JUL 20 2015, 7:56 PM ET
Bland had said in an online posting that she was "depressed." But Lambert said that statement was made in March — and says little about her mindset before her death.

Bland's sister, Sharon Cooper, said Bland did not have any "medically diagnosed clinical depression" but was prone to good days and bad. http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...er-details-dashcam-footage-her-arrest-n395126

Also from that article: As the trooper tried to get her out of the car, she reached for her cell phone "to try to go about taping what was going on."

Wow, I wonder if the trooper knew she was reaching for the cell phone instead of a weapon?

Another snip from the article: The Waller County Sheriff's Office responded that the two jailers involved did receive mental health training, just not in the past year, and jailers did check in on Bland, but used an intercom system rather than an in-person inspection as required.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back