TX TX - Tamera McCurry, 22, Galveston, 1 July 1982

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=2]Tamera Ellen McCurry[/h]Nickname/Alias Tamera E. Norris
Galveston County, Texas
22 to 24 year old white female

Height (inches)
Weight (pounds)

[TD="class: view_field"]66.0 to 69.0[/TD]

[TD="class: view_field"]125.0 to 135.0
[/TD]

Brown Hair
Brown Eyes

Scar on her left eyebrow

Clothing: A light blue one-piece swimsuit with a green fish on top and a denim shirt.

McCurry was last seen getting into an orange or yellow van in Galveston, TX on July 1, 1982.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8652/

Her nickname is Tami. McCurry may use the last name Morris or the alias Jessica Simmons. Some agencies may spell her first name "Tamara."

http://charleyproject.org/case/tamera-ellen-mccurry

TEMcCurry.jpg

Tamera (Tamara) Ellen McCurry

Last Contact: July 1, 1982
Missing From: Galveston, TX
Nickname/Alias: Tamera E. Norris &
Jessica Simpson
Height: 5' 6" - 5' 9"
Weight: 125 - 135 lbs
Hair/Eyes: Brown
Scar/Mark: left eyebrow

Circumstances of Disappearance McCurry was last seen getting into an orange or yellow van in Galveston, TX on July 1, 1982...

NAMUS
CHARLEY PROJECT
DOE

It's possible she is a victim of the "Killing Fields" murders...

I checked Ancestry and I found a Tamera Gay McCurry and she lived in NC. The middle initials used were "C" & "G". The MPs middle initial is "E". The month & year of birth for the Tamera in NC is Feb 1960. I didn't do a deep dive into it.

There are a couple of other Tamera McCurry's listed in different states with the dates of birth within a few years of the MP. It could be a coincidence.

Tamera's (TX) DOB: Feb 17, 1960

The Charley Project also states she used the alias, Jessica Simmons. I wonder why she used an alias. I did not find any criminal records for her in Galveston.

I found a possible relative that seemed to have connections to TX, LA & NC (another possible coincidence).

Tamera has been missing for 42 years today.
Hi, I am Tami’s daughter, Rhiannon McCurry. She was only around the first couple years of my life so I don’t remember her and my paternal family either lied or said nothing about her.

Everyone stopped looking for her. Her mom (my maternal grandmother) kept looking but it was so bad for her I guess and her family held a memorial for Tami just so they could put it to rest. I wasn’t around for any of that, I found out after.

Anywho, I think she was a really good person and I think she deserves rest and truth. I feel that she is deceased…was murdered; this is just my gut feeling. I think she was trying to get me and get away from her husband/my dad. Hippie chick in the wrong place at the wrong time too trusting of the stranger in the van.

I’d love to find her and give her a voice. If you guys need any info I can try and help.

I checked Ancestry and I found a Tamera Gay McCurry and she lived in NC. The middle initials used were "C" & "G". The MPs middle initial is "E". The month & year of birth for the Tamera in NC is Feb 1960. I didn't do a deep dive into it.

There are a couple of other Tamera McCurry's listed in different states with the dates of birth within a few years of the MP. It could be a coincidence.

Tamera's (TX) DOB: Feb 17, 1960

The Charley Project also states she used the alias, Jessica Simmons. I wonder why she used an alias. I did not find any criminal records for her in Galveston.

I found a possible relative that seemed to have connections to TX, LA & NC (another possible coincidence).
Howdy, I am Tami’s daughter, Rhiannon. I was 4 when she was abducted, and I feel, murdered. Her dad was military, the family moved all over. When stationed in NC as a teenager Tami and her siblings became friends with the McCurry kids (3 brothers and a sister). In 1978 I was born, she married the eldest McCurry brother, Michael, and four years of two poor hippie kids trying to raise a human ensued. Michael enlisted in the military, Camp Lajune, but was discharged before finishing Boot Camp. They moved quickly from Carolina in search of stable work. I do not know the order of things, but these are places I know I stayed between 1978 and 1982: Jacksonville NC -> Somewhere in South Fl. Everglades is my notion. -> Galveston TX -> Houston TX -> Charlotte NC -> Sanibel FL -> Ft Myers FL

Michael told me he used to run drugs, small airplane under radar kinda stuff, and would do this in the TX Bayou (so this would have to be sometime between 78-82). He mentioned all the alligator eyes surrounding the landing strip during a night landing and how the alligators could devour an entire human and leave no trace. He was a transient construction guy. He would often take off for months or years and then return.

At one point Michael took me to this mosquito infested swamp with a shack (I think this was the Everglades). We stayed there for a bit. Then we went somewhere else. Then he would leave me with someone and be gone for a few months and come back.

At some point between 1978 and 1982 Tami took me and left Michael. I am told she would hitchhike or take up with friends during this time. I was too young to remember much of this time frame though there are certain memories. I was also told that the McCurry family would routinely track her down and take me from her. So there was like this back and forth thing. She would come back, get back together with Michael, try to get away with me, rinse and repeat.

Michael would do anything construction related, he was a mechanic, he worked in restaurants as a cook. I remember being told often that certain states we couldn’t go to because of the warrants against him and because people or cops were looking for him. One time in Ft Myers I remember an entire team of cops literally camped on our yard for like a week waiting for him, looking for him, interrogating all of us kids (I was like 8 or 9 at this point). I was told he tried to kill someone but it was a misunderstanding. Then I was shipped to NC for a year to live with my grandmother. When I came back to Ft Myers we were in a different house and Michael was not in jail and no one ever talked about it again. So, this kinda thing was just…normal. Happened a lot.

Michael completely blocked contact between me and Tami’s family. My paternal grandmother told me she “ran away” when I was a baby. Michael never spoke about her. Once I asked if he could tell me about her and the only thing he said was, “she was a [derogatory W word].”

Honestly, she seemed like a really loving person trying to get her and her child away from an abusive relationship. Michael is still alive in Tonawanda NY. He might know more about the timeline. He is a creep and not safe, so, just know that. Literally would not be surprised if he was involved in any way or knew the dude, you know.

The Galveston area late 70s / early 80s seems to have been swamped with criminal honkytonk creepy white male sex offenders with a knack for underground trailer park drug running. And there seems to be some kind of florida/texas/nc triangle.

Okay, datamining hackers, have fun with that :) And websleuths, thank you for helping families and victims rest. Hit me up with questions and shniz. Tami (Tamera Ellen Norris McCurry) has still not been found or identified.

Thankyou for your post, R OF MAYONNAISE .
1.) In the above posts, the 2nd post gives a
DOEnetwork link that lists;
"Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown" .
Are you aware if any DNA has since been given to
any investigating agency?

2.) Do there appear to be any inaccuracies in the
NAMUS information regarding your mother?

3.) I've looked for that NAMUS photograph (which
appears to me to probably be a high school photo)
in the Pearland high school yearbooks for the mid
to late 1970's (looking for McCurry & Norris), I
couldn't find it - do you know what area/high school
she was in back then?

4.) Is your maternal grandmother still alive?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova
Back