• tara_lea_blue_7.jpg
Blue, circa 2001; Richard Sanders

• Missing Since11/02/2001
  • Missing FromCenter, Texas
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth08/16/1971 (47)
  • Age30 years old
  • Height and Weight5'5 - 5'8, 150 - 160 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA t-shirt and jeans.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Blonde hair, brown eyes. Blue has numerous tattoos on her arms, legs, ankles, back, shoulders, and right hand. She has scars on her leg, right arm and the fingers of both hands. She may use the last name Windham.
Details of Disappearance
Blue was last seen in Center, Texas on November 2, 2001. She has never been heard from again. Blue went missing along with Richard Sanders; a photograph of him is posted with this case summary.

Richard's date of birth is September 12, 1976, making him 25 years old when he and Blue disappeared. He's described as Caucasian, 6'5 and 210 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes. Investigators stated that citizens who see Sanders should not approach him.

Authorities believe Blue was the victim of a homicide. She left behind a daughter. Her family held a memorial service for her in 2010, nine years after she vanished. Few details are available in her case.

NamUs: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

On Saturday, November 3, 2001 at approximately 07:00am, Deputies with the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to a wooded area off FM 699 near Flat Fork Creek in Center, Texas, where a hunter had discovered what appeared to be a crime scene. It was apparent from the findings at the scene that a murder had occurred. A homicide investigation was initiated, although the body of the suspected murder victim, a Tara Lea Blue, was and still is missing. Tara Lea Blue was 30 years of age.

The pursuit of justice continues.

You are encouraged to contact SCSO Cold Case Investigator DJ Dickerson at (936) 572-0255 or you can submit a tip anonymously in the form (link) provided. Any information will be greatly appreciated, not only by the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office, but especially to the victims family. To submit anonmous tips please click here: Murder of Tara Lea Blue - Shelby County Sheriff
SCSO Cold Case: Blue

It’s sad to me that there is so little about this case out there. This is a rare type case as there are two not only one person missing. It’s difficult enough to find information on Tara but on Richard Sanders is almost unheard of.
VANISHED: Tara Lee Blue | KETK.com | FOX51.com
The original article lists Richard as a suspect. I don't know if he is still considered a suspect. Her obituary mentions she had a husband. Today, there is an article on Richard listing him as vanished.

Imo whoever killed her killed him. Surly he would have resurfaced by now. We live in the Information Age. You can’t do anything without a paper trail. I could see why they would think possible involvement in the beginning. Last known person to be seen with her and then they couldn’t find him either. I’d jump to that conclusion also.

On Saturday, November 3, 2001 Shelby County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to a wooded area off FM 699 near Flat Fork Creek in Center, Texas, where a hunter had discovered what appeared to be a crime scene. It was apparent from the findings at the scene that a murder had occurred. A homicide investigation was initiated, although the body of the suspected murder victim, a Tara Lea Blue is still missing.

Thinking out aloud: So what became of this police investigation. If it was obvious it was a murder scene, there must have been blood. Was it analysed? Was it hers? Was his blood present too?

Imo whoever killed her killed him.

Not necessarily.

Richard was originally seemed to a suspect according to the police and they warned the public not to approach him. So they must have had reason to believe he may be dangerous.

Is there a chance it was a bizarre murder-suicide and they haven't found his body either? Texas is.....big. :(

Last edited:
Or in that area likely if they were in the woods, their remains would never be found. Then scattered by wild life. There are a lot of rural low lands in that vicinity. I’m glad to see something be discussing this case.

But you are correct there had to be something found in order for police to say that.

For the police to say a murder likely happened off FM699, then it would have to be human blood, and plenty of it.

They went missing in Center, TX on the 2nd Nov 2001, and the hunter found the scene on the morning of the 3rd Nov 2001, not far from Center, TX.

So, it seems likely these 2 people and the murder scene are connected.

Yet, no search parties or SAR out looking?

No police forensics on tire tracks, footprints, the blood?

Surely LE must have done something?

For the police to say a murder likely happened off FM699, then it would have to be human blood, and plenty of it.

They went missing in Center, TX on the 2nd Nov 2001, and the hunter found the scene on the morning of the 3rd Nov 2001, not far from Center, TX.

I'm curious if there has been any searches and it just, didn't make the news. Sometimes the police don't acknowledge family or friend ran search groups. Machismo and such runs rampant in small towns here.

Living here I can tell you stories about LE that would ruin your day. LE here doesn't care if it doesn't effect their "good old boy" life.

I grew up in Center, Texas. I always heard that the couple were informants for the police regarding the drug trade. The rumor was they were murdered, feed to the pigs, and whatever remained was buried in an old well. I always thought it was odd that nobody ever came forward later on with more information as time passed by. Center is a typical small rural town; surrounding towns are also small.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back