TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, 18 Apr 2016 #44

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought, the sniffer dog was brought in after Missy's autopsy would have been performed. :thinking:

What about the white box the SP had in his left hand? I don’t recall that being found in the church. So, it was a burglary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the white box the SP had in his left hand? I don’t recall that being found in the church. So, it was a burglary.

If I recall, it was said several times nothing was taken from the church. Just because it was in his hand doesn’t mean whatever the box was left the church.

And does any of this evolve into murder? Or did the cases you’ve been reading about stay at the level of vandalism?

Do any of these vandals specifically don a SWAT or LE type uniform?

I was referring to breaking into churches and schools. Which is what I believe was most likely here except SP didn't do their research and ran into Missy. Everything went sideways from that point.

I was referring to breaking into churches and schools. Which is what I believe was most likely here except SP didn't do their research and ran into Missy. Everything went sideways from that point.

In this day and age of technology, it would be very hard not to know what is going on in places. Missy was very vocal on SM about her classes and had info tables outside grocery stores about her CG classes. The sp did do their research, and unfortunately Missy was the target of that. JMO

New lead investigator in murder of Missy Bevers putting together a team of fresh eyes

Twenty-one months have passed since Terri “Missy” Bevers was murdered as she was setting up for a fitness class at the Creekside Church of Christ. Now leading the investigation is Midlothian Sgt. Andy Vaughn, who took over from the original investigator Cpl. Cody Moon who transferred back to the patrol division.

[...]

“I guess over the last few months I would say that we are averaging about 10 tips a week, easy. Those are the ones that are coming back to me. Email, phone calls, and crime stoppers (calls). You name it,” Vaughn said. “I still have some that we haven’t even got to yet. The tips are coming from out of state and some local. I had a gentleman from Australia call me and left a voicemail.”

Vaughn explained that the main body of tips that he receives from the public center on the suspect’s walk and the person’s physical stature captured on the church’s surveillance cameras. The tips that come to police are sorted, investigated, and tracked to its source to determine the credibility of the information.

[...]

“We are kind of putting a group of guys together, and we hope that we can get together within the next month,” Vaughn stated. “Primarily it will be myself and another couple officers that have been involved in the case. Just coming up with a plan for that. Trying to hand pick some folks to come in and start back from scratch.”

I don't know if SP would have tried to retrieve a bullet, but the fact that they did bring in Titan whose talents included "hitting on cast off gun casings and gun residue" seems to point to the fact LE at least believed a gun was used.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/04/20/creekside-churchs-exterior-cameras-off-day-of-midlothian-murder/

I’m back to thinking a gun was used thanks to the reminder about Titan the gun residue and shell casing sniffer :)

Jn......it was very clear what you were referencing. Perhaps my question back to you wasn’t as clear. Since you’ve stated that there have been recent cases you’ve read about vandals breaking into churches and museums; with that I asked how many of these cases of vandals resulted in murder?

I’m sure the answer is null to low.......typically vandals/burglars don’t want to escalate things. Hit & Run. And they usually don’t dress up in a cop costume.

There’s lots of articles about burglars and what they do. B & E perps are quick and laser focused.

Yes, I agree. The idea of a hitman bludgeoning a victim to death, might make sense in another country where 12 year old girls don't have easy access to semi-automatic handguns, but not in the US. And certainly not for a disabled hitman with a walking impairment. Somebody in that poor a health is certainly not going to choose to use a hand tool as a murder weapon.

I don't believe this was a hitman. "Targeted" doesn't have to mean a hitman was involved, just that the intention of the person at the scene was to kill Missy Bevers. She wasn't killed by accident, by a random coincidental "church burglar".

The person who did this wanted to kill Missy Bevers. They cared enough about her family members to minimize their exposure - ensuring the girls didn't awaken to find Missy dead in their home or on their property. Ensuring Brandon was out of town with a verifiable alibi.

They made an effort to cast suspicion away from themselves. In the event they were seen in the church by someone other than Missy, they'd play the "I'm a police officer, I'm investigating a security alarm. Doesn't appear to be any disturbance here, however. Have a nice day" game.

They covered themselves head to toe to avoid leaving DNA via shedding cells (skin, hair, nails) and also ensuring Missy couldn't get a handful of their hair or get their DNA under her nails.

Their costume also ensured they were not identifiable on the surveillance video.

Yes, a gun would have been simpler but I think whoever killed her wanted to do it themselves, up close and personal.

We need victimology info to solve this crime, and we're never going to have that here. Someone hated Missy so much they wanted her dead, and they had such a rage toward her they wanted to do it themselves in a manner which destroyed her appearance.

I agree with Mz O in the post above. A hitman professional could’ve (or may not have) been utilized but either way, MB was **targeted**

And even if B.B. isn’t focused on justice & wants to move forward, this should not impact LE from doing their job which is to find this killer. It is a risk to all of us citizens to have this killer amongst us. And for MB.......

Jn......it was very clear what you were referencing. Perhaps my question back to you wasn’t as clear. Since you’ve stated that there have been recent cases you’ve read about vandals breaking into churches and museums; with that I asked how many of these cases of vandals resulted in murder?

I’m sure the answer is null to low.......typically vandals/burglars don’t want to escalate things. Hit & Run. And they usually don’t dress up in a cop costume.

There’s lots of articles about burglars and what they do. B & E perps are quick and laser focused.

Burglars have committed murders, although for the most part they are not killers and will run from the scene. Burglars have killed when someone has walked in and tried to physically confront them. As far as the costume, I don't recall any crime - robbery or murder - where someone dressed up as SWAT member.

I lean toward this being a vandalism gone bad, but I'm not 100% in that direction. There are too many unknowns to focus entirely on one scenario. As far as why it might have ended in murder is pure speculation on the part of anyone here because no one outside of SP was at the murder scene since we've been told by LE that no cameras caught the act. We don't have access to the autopsy so we know even less than LE on that part.

That a certain degree of planning was involved is evident due to the SWAT costume. How WELL it was planned is speculation.

From watching the video it just appears to me that the person is walking aimlessly through the church. They don't even seem to be looking for anything to steal. It just appears to an immature act of B&E just to vandalize the church. If SP walked around the corner and chanced upon Missy they may just have reacted by striking her with the tool in their hand. When Missy didn't go down right away they kept striking till she went down and quit struggling. The objective may have not been to kill, but to incapacitate her so SP could get out of the church so she couldn't get a vehicle description or license number.

And based on the size this person is estimated to be I'm not certain it was an adult.

Could robbery have been the motive? I don't believe it can be ruled out. A targeted and planned murder? While I believe SP went a bit overboard with the costume and breaking into a church, I don't believe a planned murder can be ruled out. And if it was a planned murder it was well planned.

If this was a vandalism or burglary then it was not well planned because they failed to account for Missy's group being there.

The joker in the deck for me are the outside cameras. The last I read, LE stated they worked sometimes and sometimes they didn't - they just happen to not work that day. Based on that statement, SP had no idea if the outside cameras would be non-functional that day and not catch a video of SP's vehicle pulling in. Based on that I wonder if SP even knew there were outside cameras and they just got lucky they were not working that day. (Because of the rain?) If this was well planned how do you miss those cameras or take a chance they aren't working.

I’m back to thinking a gun was used thanks to the reminder about Titan the gun residue and shell casing sniffer :)

Those two factors combined with the fact that Titan was brought in AFTER her autopsy was completed. I would imagine that LE knew her expected cause of death the minute the physical autopsy was complete. There wouldn’t have been an official cause of death until toxicology results came back. But something tipped them off between when they finished their crime scene investigation at the church on Monday morning and Wednesday, when Titan was brought to search. Her autopsy was IMO completed on Tuesday.

She was bludgeoned w a hammer, wasn't she? Or a blunt instrument? It's been so long, please correct me if I get this wrong.

She was bludgeoned w a hammer, wasn't she? Or a blunt instrument? It's been so long, please correct me if I get this wrong.

Yes. We’ve been speculating if a gun was used too.

It's just so very sad that this case remains unsolved, with what seems like more evidence than many other cases. I remain firmly in the targeted and personal camp in regards to the type of crime. I've really thought about the arguments and points of view on the interrupted burglary, and I can't make it fit with what we know. I listen closely to the details of many church break-ins in my area, and none of them seem anything remotely like this. Most, if not all, are quick "grab and dash for cash", target older churches where doors are often kept open always for worshippers, do not wear disguises to conceal identity besides maybe a bandana, and certainly none of them involve this level of violence. I'm not saying it's not possible that this was a one in a million break-in, but it just feels like they went in with one purpose - to kill Missy.

I remain suspicious of BB and that whole side of the family. The fact that he doesn't want the killer found only added to my suspicions. I have never heard an innocent family member state that position. I am aware it was physically impossible for any of them to have committed the crime itself, but as far as motive goes, they have plenty IMO, and untangling threads for outsourcing a hit take a long time. I think there is a reason for the deafening silence from Missy's side of the family.
BBM I don't remember seeing where he didn't want the killer to be found. Sorry I must have missed it

Those two factors combined with the fact that Titan was brought in AFTER her autopsy was completed. I would imagine that LE knew her expected cause of death the minute the physical autopsy was complete. There wouldn’t have been an official cause of death until toxicology results came back. But something tipped them off between when they finished their crime scene investigation at the church on Monday morning and Wednesday, when Titan was brought to search. Her autopsy was IMO completed on Tuesday.

I don’t have the SW in front of me but I don’t believe they had a gun as one of the item to seize during the raid. Which tips me to thinking there wasn’t a gun. They wouldn’t wanted to have lost that finding one in the raid but no one had asked for it.

checking in to see how this case is going and sadly, no one arrested yet. :( however, its news to me there another car a small dark suv that could be part of the case. when did this news come out? been out of the loop awhile. btw, does anyone know if missy had defensive wounds on her hands arms in trying to protect herself?

New lead investigator in murder of Missy Bevers putting together a team of fresh eyes

Twenty-one months have passed since Terri “Missy” Bevers was murdered as she was setting up for a fitness class at the Creekside Church of Christ. Now leading the investigation is Midlothian Sgt. Andy Vaughn, who took over from the original investigator Cpl. Cody Moon who transferred back to the patrol division.

[...]

“I guess over the last few months I would say that we are averaging about 10 tips a week, easy. Those are the ones that are coming back to me. Email, phone calls, and crime stoppers (calls). You name it,” Vaughn said. “I still have some that we haven’t even got to yet. The tips are coming from out of state and some local. I had a gentleman from Australia call me and left a voicemail.”

Vaughn explained that the main body of tips that he receives from the public center on the suspect’s walk and the person’s physical stature captured on the church’s surveillance cameras. The tips that come to police are sorted, investigated, and tracked to its source to determine the credibility of the information.

[...]

“We are kind of putting a group of guys together, and we hope that we can get together within the next month,” Vaughn stated. “Primarily it will be myself and another couple officers that have been involved in the case. Just coming up with a plan for that. Trying to hand pick some folks to come in and start back from scratch.”

Headline of New York Times article tonight: As F.B.I. Took a Year to Pursue the Dr. Nassar Case, Dozens say They Were Molested. “As the inquiry moved with little urgency, a cost was being paid,” the article began. The New York Times has identified at least 40 girls and women who say that Dr. Nassar molested them between July 2015, when he first fell under FBI scrutinyand September 2016, when he was exposed by an Indianapolis Star investigation.”

The article went on to document how weeks turned into months and months to a year+ while more and more parents brought the nightmares and abuses, called “intervaginal adjustments” by the molester, to law enforcement. It all just sat on a desk somewhere, bouncing around, while few phone calls or inquiries were made, stagnating the case. It finally took the USA Gymnastics eventually retaining what it called a “an experienced female investigator”. After a year+ of no progress, she was finally able to instigate some movement on the case within law enforcement. It was ultimately the independent investigator and MSM that took the necessary action to “solve” this.

Yesterday, John David Battaglia, who shot and killed his 9 year old and 6 year old daughter was executed. He killed them to get back at his ex-wife back, their mother, who he had gotten on the phone. She had to listen while the 9 year old screamed in the terror, “No daddy’ Don’t do it.”He executed both of them point blank. It happened 16 YEARS ago.

Forgive me for being cynical, but where else in society do things get dragged out for months and years? except law enforcement/criminal justice? I’m a parent. What if I grounded my kid for something they did 3 years ago? I’m a businessman. What if I took weeks, months, year(s)? to solve a major problem. Weeks/Months to get back to sales leads, or unhappy clients (like Sgt Vaughn says he’s doing with his leads). He’s “KIND OF puttinga group together” and “HOPES that we can get together within the next MONTH.” “JUST COMING UP WITH A PLAN FOR THAT.” “TRYING to hand pick some folks…”

I’m sorry folks, but I can almost guarantee you that the MPD will not solve this case. There just isn’t the hutzpah, the sheer will and determination necessary being demonstrated that it takes to break a seemingly complex case. Someone is going to have to start chirping or do something 4rth-grade-stupid for this to be resolved. MSM isn’t active on the caseand there doesn’t look like an outside expert has been incentivized to potentially pop it.

Meanwhile, a cold-blooded killer walks among us; And Justice weeps.

And does any of this evolve into murder? Or did the cases you’ve been reading about stay at the level of vandalism?

Do any of these vandals specifically don a SWAT or LE type uniform?

A person who would be vandalizing a church in the middle of the night would obviously have to be mentally unstable. It would not be at all remarkable for an incident like that to evolve into assault and murder. Likewise burglary also can and does evolve into murder.

As for the SWAT or LE uniform, there is no precedent for that, so it's impossible to find any pattern in that.

A person who would be vandalizing a church in the middle of the night would obviously have to be mentally unstable. It would not be at all remarkable for an incident like that to evolve into assault and murder. Likewise burglary also can and does evolve into murder.

As for the SWAT or LE uniform, there is no precedent for that, so it's impossible to find any pattern in that.

Anyone have a link with recent stats whereby vandalism results in murder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member