TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The context of the article was that they were talking about facial compositing. It was insufficient for that. They never said that it was insufficient for other kinds of testing.

It had to come down to how much material they actually had, and what percentage of the mixture was the killer’s DNA and what percentage was Missy’s, and was the facial compositing test “consumptive” - meaning, was all the material used up during the course of that test, or did they have (or do they STILL have) DNA material in reserve for further testing as technology advances?

Where this was really interesting to me was in the fact that they cleared BWH for no good reason I can think of... UNLESS they’ve been able to confirm through DNA that the killer is a woman. Because how do you definitively clear a suspect whose alibi is that he was at home with his wife and baby in the middle of the night?

If they only had/have a partial DNA profile, the perp definitely did not get dried up, or changed in the CC kitchen area, or consumed anything. On that note, do we know for sure, that the second door after entering that kitchen vestibule was unlocked?

-Nin

Where this was really interesting to me was in the fact that they cleared BWH for no good reason I can think of... UNLESS they’ve been able to confirm through DNA that the killer is a woman. Because how do you definitively clear a suspect whose alibi is that he was at home with his wife and baby in the middle of the night?

When LE changed their stance from SP gender being a male to "not ruling out the possibility it could be a female", does anyone remember when this was exactly and what the reason for this was?

Unless I was hallucinating or mixing things up, I remember reading or hearing somewhere that BWH was cleared through DNA. I'm really trying my best to find out where that source was because that sounds more interesting now.

The context of the article was that they were talking about facial compositing. It was insufficient for that. They never said that it was insufficient for other kinds of testing.

It had to come down to how much material they actually had, and what percentage of the mixture was the killer’s DNA and what percentage was Missy’s, and was the facial compositing test “consumptive” - meaning, was all the material used up during the course of that test, or did they have (or do they STILL have) DNA material in reserve for further testing as technology advances?

First time posting in this thread but I've been following and I am familiar with the case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that prosecutors presented BWH to a grand jury for the murder of Missy but the grand jury failed to indict. Is this correct?

First time posting in this thread but I've been following and I am familiar with the case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that prosecutors presented BWH to a grand jury for the murder of Missy but the grand jury failed to indict. Is this correct?
No. He was never arrested for Missy’s murder. He was arrested for child *advertiser censored* found on one of his devices after police confiscated his devices via a warrant in the Bevers case. A grand jury no-billed the child *advertiser censored* case because it could not be proven that the device had been solely in his possession.

When LE changed their stance from SP gender being a male to "not ruling out the possibility it could be a female", does anyone remember when this was exactly and what the reason for this was?

Unless I was hallucinating or mixing things up, I remember reading or hearing somewhere that BWH was cleared through DNA. I'm really trying my best to find out where that source was because that sounds more interesting now.
iirc It was very early in the investigation. After they released the SP video to the press and public, there was an outcry from many people including LE's that SP looked like a woman. I believe MPD first made the unknown sex/gender comment at a press conference, and a very old thread may have a transcript. I looked through the media/timeline thread which led to this article dated May 20, 2016:
Forensic Video Analysis Complete in Midlothian Murder Investigation

"... Deputy Chief Kevin Johnson said Friday that experts believe the suspect is between 5 feet 2 inches and 5 feet 7 inches tall. However, no other distinguishing characteristics could be gleaned from the analysis.

It is still unclear of the sex, race or identity of the person seen in what appears to be police tactical gear. ..."

hth

iirc It was very early in the investigation. After they released the SP video to the press and public, there was an outcry from many people including LE's that SP looked like a woman. I believe MPD first made the unknown sex/gender comment at a press conference, and a very old thread may have a transcript. I looked through the media/timeline thread which led to this article dated May 20, 2016:
Forensic Video Analysis Complete in Midlothian Murder Investigation

"... Deputy Chief Kevin Johnson said Friday that experts believe the suspect is between 5 feet 2 inches and 5 feet 7 inches tall. However, no other distinguishing characteristics could be gleaned from the analysis.

It is still unclear of the sex, race or identity of the person seen in what appears to be police tactical gear. ..."

hth
Yeah I’m pretty sure it was the day after the initial press conference. It was within the first week anyway.

Jethro, would that apply to iPads and burner phones as well?
Any device that accesses the phone system. iPads do not.

"Burner phone" is a misnomer. Cell phones carry two globally unique identifiers. One is the IMEI and that is a number associated with the phone itself. The other is IMSI and that is a number associated with the SIM card in the phone. Those numbers are sent when phones connect to the phone network. Thus, law enforcement (or intelligence agencies) have the ability to track a phone and/or a SIM card and know such things as whether or not more than one SIM card was used with the same phone or if a SIM card was used in more than one phone.

Since such numbers are part of transactions with the phone network, including location information, a "burner phone" will show up. Consequently, a "burner phone" will give up where it is located and that phone can be correlated with other phones in the same location. Also, that "burner phone" will also show up for long periods of time in the same location which might reveal where the person with that phone lives or works. Even people being careful may use it inadvertently in the wrong place (their home, for example) or more likely someone calls or texts when they are in the wrong place which also yields location information.

The Geofence warrant is targeting Google because if you use your Google account on your phone, even if connected via WiFi, Google may end up with your location information as Google collects that whenever possible.

Your phone has on it a database of every Wifi and Bluetooth the phone has ever been in range of. The information in that database is sent upstream to the provider of the phone and some Apps have access to that database so it goes to them as well. This allows the ability to know a phone was in a specific location where the Wifi or Bluetooth was located. It is not required that the phone actually logon to such Wifi or bluetooth device, only that it is within range. With that information, various parties can learn that specific phones were all, at one time or another, within range of a particular Wifi or Bluetooth. This is how advertisers learn that your phone frequents a specific fast-food restaurant or frequents a particular grocery store, etc.

So, for example, MPD could go to Whataburger and find out the WiFi device identifier and then use that ID to try to find any phones that came within range of the Wifi on that day. If SWFA offers free Wifi MPD may be able to the same. Any other places on either side of 287 that offer WiFi can be checked because at a minimum it time-boxes a phone within an area in a specific time range.

Earlier on the threads I hypothesized that one avenue of investigation that may be worth looking at would be to go back to AT&T and see if they could identify phones that were likely off (or ran out of battery) prior to the murder (or Altima at SWFA) and came back on afterwards with a focus on phones that went off when the phone wasn't at "home" and a focus within that on phones that were in motion at speed (such as in a car) at the time it went off. Ideally, you would be looking for phones that went off while travelling in one direction and comes back on travelling the opposite direction. AT&T knows where the phone's "home" is even if you are not their customer just from location information alone as it is almost certainly the location where the phone spends the most time and they know if a phone is in motion and approximately how fast it is moving. Whether or not a judge would approve such a warrant is another matter.

All of this is meaningless if SP did not have a phone with them.

If they only had/have a partial DNA profile, the perp definitely did not get dried up, or changed in the CC kitchen area, or consumed anything. On that note, do we know for sure, that the second door after entering that kitchen vestibule was unlocked?

-Nin
There appears to be no damage to that inner door. Attached is a screenshot from the news video that was showing the outer door and then into the vestibule.

Attachments

• smallservicedoorvestibule.jpg
    smallservicedoorvestibule.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 30
The gait matches a bazillion other people too, more than you'd realize (in fact, I saw a clip in the show "Mom" recently, where they were walking along, and the Mom's gait was one of those who match the perp.) But the FIL has definitely been ruled out by LE already. So now we just have to find one of the others with that gait, who WAS the perp.

BWH was a local guy, had been in LE before, was seen on video at the funeral, and thought to have been a likely suspect. The fact he was much too tall was weirdly apparently ignored, because he checked so many other boxes on the list (including the gait, the fact he was local, was at the funeral, etc). He was eventually arrested (for something else unrelated), and warrants used on him, with the idea they might find something in the process to fit him to MB's murder. However, they didn't find the link, he had a solid alibi that held up, and he was apparently dismissed as a suspect.

Thank you. It's been so long I forgot who BWH was.

That’s right, tons of people walk that way. Go to YouTube and search “people walking” and the gait is common. We also have to keep in mind that the killer may not normally walk that way. It’s impossible to know if the outfit influenced the walk. It’s also impossible to know if the killer faked the walk. I think police have realized that and are not focusing on gait now, which would be one of the reasons that their press release now points out that the gait could have been the result of a temporary condition.

The one thing that I think has been useful is being able to see that the killer has hyperextended knees. This is something that Dr. Nirenberg mentioned previously. Hyper extension narrows the field a bit, and I would think it is difficult if not impossible to hide... or to fake.

agreed.

....Though, if SP went somewhere else to wait for police response,... They would need a good view of the church and be able to see police sirens from where they were?
@zee007 Thx for your post.
If SP is able to see police sirens from anywhere, his/her eyesight is waaay better than mine.
I can only see police lights and hear police sirens.
No worries, often (both of :D) my brain cells often get ahead of my typing fingers. :rolleyes:
Back now to Missy.

Agreed. Also the exact amount of time SP spent in the kitchen area is another thing to consider within that time gap. I would imagine they would have spent a considerable amount there given it was raining and so they had to dry off as much as they could to avoid leaving wet shoe prints and/or other evidence.

Though, if SP went somewhere else to wait for police response, where do you think they would have waited? They would need a good view of the church and be able to see police sirens from where they were?

Just now noticed your reference to sirens(lights). Police normally don’t respond with lights and sirens to alarm calls. Over 90% of these calls are false alarms, so that’s the reason. They’ll just head that way normally, and might even take some other call if one comes in while on the way there.

"Burner phone" is a misnomer. Cell phones carry two globally unique identifiers. One is the IMEI and that is a number associated with the phone itself. The other is IMSI and that is a number associated with the SIM card in the phone. Those numbers are sent when phones connect to the phone network. Thus, law enforcement (or intelligence agencies) have the ability to track a phone and/or a SIM card and know such things as whether or not more than one SIM card was used with the same phone or if a SIM card was used in more than one phone.

Since such numbers are part of transactions with the phone network, including location information, a "burner phone" will show up. Consequently, a "burner phone" will give up where it is located and that phone can be correlated with other phones in the same location. Also, that "burner phone" will also show up for long periods of time in the same location which might reveal where the person with that phone lives or works. Even people being careful may use it inadvertently in the wrong place (their home, for example) or more likely someone calls or texts when they are in the wrong place which also yields location information.

The Geofence warrant is targeting Google because if you use your Google account on your phone, even if connected via WiFi, Google may end up with your location information as Google collects that whenever possible.

Your phone has on it a database of every Wifi and Bluetooth the phone has ever been in range of. The information in that database is sent upstream to the provider of the phone and some Apps have access to that database so it goes to them as well. This allows the ability to know a phone was in a specific location where the Wifi or Bluetooth was located. It is not required that the phone actually logon to such Wifi or bluetooth device, only that it is within range. With that information, various parties can learn that specific phones were all, at one time or another, within range of a particular Wifi or Bluetooth. This is how advertisers learn that your phone frequents a specific fast-food restaurant or frequents a particular grocery store, etc.

So, for example, MPD could go to Whataburger and find out the WiFi device identifier and then use that ID to try to find any phones that came within range of the Wifi on that day. If SWFA offers free Wifi MPD may be able to the same. Any other places on either side of 287 that offer WiFi can be checked because at a minimum it time-boxes a phone within an area in a specific time range.

Earlier on the threads I hypothesized that one avenue of investigation that may be worth looking at would be to go back to AT&T and see if they could identify phones that were likely off (or ran out of battery) prior to the murder (or Altima at SWFA) and came back on afterwards with a focus on phones that went off when the phone wasn't at "home" and a focus within that on phones that were in motion at speed (such as in a car) at the time it went off. Ideally, you would be looking for phones that went off while travelling in one direction and comes back on travelling the opposite direction. AT&T knows where the phone's "home" is even if you are not their customer just from location information alone as it is almost certainly the location where the phone spends the most time and they know if a phone is in motion and approximately how fast it is moving. Whether or not a judge would approve such a warrant is another matter.

Vice versa, could the church WIFI router tell anything?

So AT&T can do all of that even if a person has T-mobile, Verizon or other?
And thank you for the educational post.

Agreed. Also the exact amount of time SP spent in the kitchen area is another thing to consider within that time gap. I would imagine they would have spent a considerable amount there given it was raining and so they had to dry off as much as they could to avoid leaving wet shoe prints and/or other evidence.

Though, if SP went somewhere else to wait for police response, where do you think they would have waited? They would need a good view of the church and be able to see police sirens from where they were?
SP could have had an umbrella .... and maybe a blanket/towel to stand on at door to wipe feet, wonder if they did that, then took it when they left, so no shoe prints. I wonder if that red/dark blob in the car is a blanket.

So AT&T can do all of that even if a person has T-mobile, Verizon or other?
And thank you for the educational post.
Verizon is different but likely has a similar database at their Ashburn, VA location, but how far back it goes I don't know. T-mobile doesn't but that is because T-mobile doesn't have their own infrastructure. When you make a call it goes to a tower. From the tower it either goes via fiber or microwave link to another tower/facility that has a fiber connection into the same phone system as landline calls. So, even if T-mobile (or other companies) is your provider the call and information has to go through the telephone infrastructure of the United States. AT&T, Verizon (which used to be part of AT&T) and Sprint have 99 percent of all the telephone infrastructure. Companies like T-mobile lease capacity on the infrastructure. This is why the NSA targeted those three companies into their data collection activities because they get everything that way. The FBI are co-located (FBI personnel on site) with these companies in Ashburn, VA (Verizon), Tampa, FL (AT&T) and I forget where Sprint has their facility.

Vice versa, could the church WIFI router tell anything?
Well, it works the other way in that it is the phone that knows about the WiFi since the WiFi broadcasts its presence and the WiFi won't know about the device (e.g. phone) until it attempts a connection. But the database on your phone does have all the WiFi devices it has been near and that information is sent (among certain other information on your phone) back to the companies so it can be sold to advertisers. If you ever looked at data usage on your phone and noticed data sent while you were sleeping, for example, that is when data like this is sent.

Consequently, it is doubtful that the router in the church, if there was one, would have anything of use unless somehow a phone connected to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413