TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm way behind. Do you think it was a cop or the shooter that said "Yell, if you need help!"?
I guess it could have been the shooter, but the article said the cop yelled, and the shooter heard the child say ‘I need help’, went in and the child was then shot. There was similar confusion at the school shooting in a Michigan where kids barricaded in a room and wouldn’t let the police in, IIRC. But that time it really was a cop yelling, and they were safe.

Not calling anyone here out, but personally, I don't like that the focus is going to shift to all the weaknesses and/or mistakes made by the school and police rather than being kept squarely on this loser. Its VERY tragic that we now live in a country where we expect our elementary schools to be secure fortresses with highly trained police guarding them at all times. We are slowly being conditioned to accept that mass shootings are a normal part of life and its up to us to protect ourselves. MOO
This keeps it in the news for now. I'm glad to see students speaking out. We in education are all fed up with this horror.

I will defer to the experts on this issue.

Experts say we can prevent school shootings. Here's what the research says​

For years, school safety experts, and even the U.S. Secret Service, have rallied around some very clear answers. Here's what they say.

It's not a good idea to arm teachers​

There's broad consensus that arming teachers is not a good policy. That's according to Matthew Mayer, a professor at Rutgers Graduate School of Education. He's been studying school violence since before Columbine, and he's part of a group of researchers who have published several position papers about why school shootings happen.

Mayer says arming teachers is a bad idea "because it invites numerous disasters and problems, and the chances of it actually helping are so minuscule."

Link: Experts say we can prevent school shootings. Here's what the research says

What if the fire or earthquake debris is in front of the door, making it impossible to reach?
Ideally, there should be multiple fire / emergency exits in a building. One way to open - outward. No handle on exterior.

Unfortunately, large-scale disasters, like on 9/11 at the WTC, where some exits were blocked due to debris, could bring on a situation as you describe.

Attachments

• 2AEC0D3D-2D0B-4475-A813-DA68260C9ED6.jpeg
    2AEC0D3D-2D0B-4475-A813-DA68260C9ED6.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1
Contrary to popular belief, the plans of many school shooters have been thwarted.

Here is a case from 2015 when a man turned his son in and prevented a terrorist attack -
Father of Adams man tipped off FBI on son's terror leanings - The Boston Globe

A tip to the FBI from a Boston police captain about his son’s desire to fight for the Islamic State prompted federal agents to monitor — and then arrest — the 23-year-old in connection with an alleged plot to attack a university, according to law enforcement officials and court records unsealed Monday.

Alexander Ciccolo, of Adams, was inspired by the Boston Marathon bombers and allegedly plotted with a witness working for the FBI to set off explosives and shoot up a cafeteria at the unnamed university, according to legal filings unsealed in US District Court in Springfield.

The general manager of Oasis Outback, a hunting store paired with a restaurant that’s located about three miles from Robb Elementary School, confirmed it was speaking with police, though he declined to name himself. An Oasis Outback employee, who declined to be named, also told The Daily Beast no one could remember a transaction with Ramos in the weeks leading up to the shooting, which left 19 students and two teachers dead. “We are all in shock,” they said.

I wonder how many assault rifles and large volumes of ammo they typically sell because it seems like someone would remember it unless it is a typical purchase.

Last edited:
The first part of this interview is very interesting in light of the fact that we now know there was no resource officer at the school.

Here is the source for there being no resource officer at the school:

There were no officers at the school when the gunman arrived, Escalon said, walking back earlier information put out by his agency that the gunman first encountered an armed school resource officer.
DPS officials had previously said the gunman was "engaged" by a school officer, and that the gunman dropped a black bag full of ammunition outside the school during that encounter.
That earlier information was "not accurate," Escalon told reporters, and nobody confronted the shooter from the time he left his grandmother's house to the time he entered the school. The shooter, he said, "walked in unobstructed, initially."

Link: What we know and don't know in the Texas massacre
In fact the extra rifle and the bag full of ammo was located with the wrecked truck.

From the Washington Post, about survivor Miah Cerrillo.

My God. This child will have to live with souvenirs in the form of bullet fragments in her body for the rest of her life.
I can't imagine the damage done to the bodies of the children who were hit. No wonder identification had to be done through DNA testing.

His daughter’s left side, from her neck all the way down her back, was lacerated by small bullet fragments, and her hair was singed by gunfire. At Uvalde Memorial Hospital, doctors disinfected and bandaged the cuts but decided against removing the fragments. Miah was discharged late Tuesday evening and spent the night seized with fear, telling her father to get his gun because “he’s going to come get us.”

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/05/25/reconstruction-timeline-uvalde-school-shooting/

Last edited:
Before she retired, my mother was an elementary school teacher.

She is 5'2" and weighed about 100 pounds at the time.

Somehow I can't see her subduing a shooter armed with an automatic weapon with whatever even is the most powerful handgun these days.
It would have been great if someone, no matter their size, had stopped this shooter with extreme violence before he even got to the unlocked classroom door. JMO.

Has there been any explanation as to why the back door and classroom door were unlocked? If the shooter had not been able to enter, police could have stopped him right outside the door!

In every school I've been to, the only way to enter is through the main door, and that's only after your drivers license has been scanned. If they don't have your license in the system, you aren't allowed in.

Last edited:
Has there been any explanation as to why the back door and classroom door were unlocked? If the shooter had not been able to enter, police could have stopped him right outside the door!

In every shool I've been to, the only way to enter is through the main door, and that's only after your drivers license has been scanned. If they don't have your license in the system, you aren't allowed in.
I also want the answer to your question. Seems like a simple security practice that could have saved many lives but was not implemented.

Why? JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members