Identified! TX - Williamson Co., WhtFem 74UFTX, 20-30, 'Cinco de Corona' TShirt, Sep'89 - Sue Ann Huskey

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just managed to watch press conference now, really really heartbreaking to watch both families, of Debra Jackson (Orange socks Jane Doe) and also of Sue Ann to speak about them and their gratitute for all the work done to identify them. DNA Doe Project volunteer who led the search was Kevin Lord.

Sue Ann Huskey was one of the seven children and one of the younger ones (not sure if the youngest one). There were 5 sisters and two boys all very close knit family. As per sisters they called her Sissey and she was very good behaved girl and talked to no strangers. At the time she disappeared she was staying with one of her sisters.

Compared to other press conferences this one was quite good and sheriff of this county seems quite good too. Sue Ann final identification was only confirmed yesterday so they did not have time to debrief the family yet or to gather extra information, but even if they did he stated that they would not be releasing any further information at this time due to murder investigation.

I am hoping that there will be some more updates very soon.

Link again to press conference -
Thanks for the video link. The comments of DNA Doe Project volunteer Kevin Lord, starting at the 16 minute mark are particularly interesting.

‘Corona Girl’ identified, ending 30-year-old Williamson Co. cold case

““A lot of times, LOTUS, which is the agency law enforcement uses, doesn’t provide them with a hit to give answers,” Lord said. “We’ll work with them to send part of the remains to a lab that will extract the DNA. We have that DNA sequenced from that data. We are able to produce a film that we can upload to a genealogy database that allows law enforcement to look at it.”

In a Wednesday press conference held by the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office, Sgt. John Pokorny with the Cold Case Unit explained that in August 2018, a tooth was sent to Virginia in the hopes of extracting useable DNA. But, Pokorny says, the extraction was unsuccessful — as were several others with several other teeth.

Then, in October 2018, bones and more teeth were submitted to supplement those already submitted in order to try to build a DNA profile. But, the results were still not enough. This process continued in 2019.

But slowly over that year, a profile began to piece together.

In November, additional extracts were sent to the University of North Texas. But these still were not enough.

A big break came when investigators sent more teeth and other bone tissue to the Netherlands — where Lord says the experts in DNA extraction are.

A few possible DNA matches popped up around this time — who would turn out to be one set of Sue Ann’s grandparents — and possible family members in Sulphur Springs were contacted for sampling.

In January 2020, lab results confirmed that “Corona Girl” was their missing family member, Sue Ann Huskey.“

Last edited:
I am more than a little surprised to learn that DNA experts in the Netherlands were able to achieve success when American DNA experts have failed.

I assumed that our DNA technicians were as good as any in the world.

They are, generally speaking, but genetic research is going on worldwide and has developed a variety of different approaches and techniques. Where one technique for extraction and replication hasn't worked, another might. I applaud the Williamson County authorities for not giving up.

I read most of the msm reports, but the fact a connection was not made back then between the missing person report and the finding of an unidentified body, was that due to lack of departmental communication between agencies? I know protocol has changed significantly over the years, as has access to information on the missing and unidentified.

You’d think information regarding the discovery of a dead body would have been sent, at the time, somehow, to all Texas jurisdictions. And I know. Someone would have had to put some pieces together.

I’m very hopeful more families of the missing will have answers as DNA testing becomes more widespread and affordable.

I read most of the msm reports, but the fact a connection was not made back then between the missing person report and the finding of an unidentified body, was that due to lack of departmental communication between agencies? I know protocol has changed significantly over the years, as has access to information on the missing and unidentified.

You’d think information regarding the discovery of a dead body would have been sent, at the time, somehow, to all Texas jurisdictions. And I know. Someone would have had to put some pieces together.

I’m very hopeful more families of the missing will have answers as DNA testing becomes more widespread and affordable.
Not back then , it happened several times in Dallas county, it happened With Kimberly Cheatham , frankly I think there is more to it , and I think they refused to share info often!

'Never Forgotten'

Cold case victim gets final rest after 31-year identification

After being identified after 31 years missing, local girl Sue Ann Huskey will finally get her memorial stone this week, according to her family. After her remains were identified in January of this year, her final resting place is ready now at the end of July.

Some time in the summer of 1989, Sue Ann Huskey went missing from her home in Sulphur Springs, according to her sisters Tasha and Michelle. On Sept. 25, 1989, Sue Ann’s body was found on Interstate 35 just north of Georgetown in Williamson County, according to Williamson County detectives Jason Cox and Natalie Murry.

However, Sue Ann’s identity remained unknown to law enforcement for years. Due to the outfit she was wearing—a t-shirt that said “Cinco de Corona,” she became known as “the Corona Girl.”

In 2020, determined to learn the true identity of the Corona Girl, Williamson County detectives tried to tap into complex DNA technology, they said at a press conference in January. Three rounds of DNA extraction sent Sue Ann’s bones and teeth as far away as the Netherlands, but a family genealogy search led detectives approximately 230 miles away to Sulphur Springs.

Now, Sue Ann’s family will find some peace as her memorial stone nears completion.

“The community in Georgetown that found and identified Sue Ann raised money for the memorial,” Tasha said. “We want to keep that memorial there, and that’s where her stone will go, because we’re just so thankful for all the work they did.”

The memorial stone will read, “In Loving Memory of Sue Ann Huskey: Daughter, Sister, Aunt. Gone But Never Forgotten: Corona Girl.” It will feature her color photo, which the family believes to be her last school photo.

The family plans to cremate Sue Ann’s remains and will divide them among her living siblings, Tasha said.

The family also plans to erect a cross with butterflies at the site on I-35 near the town of Jerrell where Sue Ann’s remains were found. Sisters Tasha and Michelle visited the site the week of July 6 and left flowers.

The family remembers their baby sister as a free spirit who was “sweet” and “likeable by everyone.”

“It just blows my mind how much effort all the detectives and the other people down in Georgetown have put into it, and they were strangers to us,” Tasha said. “The amount of kindness shown to us and Sue Ann makes me tear up just thinking about it.”

The Williamson County Sheriff ’s Department, Rockdale Memorial Company, Ramsey Funeral Home and the Georgetown community all helped contribute, the sisters said. The sisters say they owe special thanks to Cox and Murry for their work on the case.

The Cold Case Unit working on solving Sue Ann’s murder urges anyone with any details about Sue Ann’s case, or even anyone who may have known her, to contact Detective Jason Cox by email at jasoncox@wilco.org or by phone at 512-943-1346.

108195516_10158625786678415_3916449100822550955_n.jpg

Hopkins County 1989 murder victim Sue Ann Huskey’s sisters Tasha Huskey Webb (left) and Michelle Barnard lay flowers at the location their sister's body was discovered during a trip to Williamson County earlier in July. Courtesy/Tasha Huskey

108927267_10158625786913415_6273192533906104662_n.jpg

Sue Ann Huskey

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991