UCLA B-Ball players arrested in China-being detained...

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Shoplifting happens every day in the US and not everyone who takes >$1000 charged with a felony. Not even close.

That's kinda what I meant. Depending on the judge, the lawyer, no other offences, they could plea it down. If you're a kid with no money with a court-appointed atty? Sometimes things don't quite go as well, and you will carry a stain on your record.

Now, get caught at WalMart? WM will bust your butt, in a heartbeat around here, chase them down, and ban them from all stores! WalMart is bad***. They want blood.

But, this didn't happen here. It happened in a much different place and I'd be scared to death!

Many people in the US are serving life prison sentences for stealing less than these guys did.

Life Without Parole For Non-Violent Criminals - Business Insider

Exactly. I do not doubt that one bit. A friend of mine got stuck in the cycle (not for theft) and if you don't have anyone advocating for you on the outside, you may linger in there for months or more, on top of getting a horrible sentence. Believe me, I know. That's why I tell people on here so often not to say a word, other than, I want a lawyer. If they get picked up for anything. Nothing more, nothing less.

And then there are athletes, who just get a free pass. Unless they happen to be in China at the time of the crime.

Or, NoKo. That was incredibly sad. A poster of some sorts, iirc. Stupid choice, and paid with his life.

There is a cycle of treatment these athletes go through that makes them feel godlike at an early age. They feel they can do anything. I live in a college town and just this year a freshman athlete came in on a scholarship and was considered a top basketball player. Already the professors and such can't figure out what do with him. He goes into bars and restaurants and orders what he wants and leaves without paying the tab. It don't stop there.

JMO's

There is a cycle of treatment these athletes go through that makes them feel godlike at an early age. They feel they can do anything. I live in a college town and just this year a freshman athlete came in on a scholarship and was considered a top basketball player. Already the professors and such can't figure out what do with him. He goes into bars and restaurants and orders what he wants and leaves without paying the tab. It don't stop there.

JMO's

You are right. There are two NCAA teams here. One is the biggest things since sliced bread. We're the state that sets couches on fire when our team wins the big bracket games during March Madness... It's insane. Years ago, a bunch of us would all get together, and it would turn into a real event, when a ballgame was coming on. We knew the stats, the players, we'd yell, cheer, it was a blast! (Of course there's not much to do, here in our little town, in our defense.) However, the kids that play, can go onto the big leagues so quickly now, barely after being recruited from high school and they are treated like rock stars in high school, and then, the NCAA and the schools, and the shoe companies have gotten caught filtering money to these kid's families, and it's more than just a scholarship these days. I don't see how their heads fit through the doors. However, in the end, they know what they are doing is wrong, and if caught, there could be trouble. I don't think, though, that they realized, that China would not be as impressed with them, if caught, and would not just let it slide.

I am all for disqualifying any and all scholarships these three have. Let them figure out how to pay a $60,000+ a year tuition bill plus expenses.

Nothing irks me more than to see scholarship money go to "athletes". I wish colleges would start diverting money into the colleges themselves and top scholars instead of wasting it on these kids who's ultimate goal is the NBA or NFL, etc., even if they have to drop out to attain it.

I am all for disqualifying any and all scholarships these three have. Let them figure out how to pay a $60,000+ a year tuition bill plus expenses.

Nothing irks me more than to see scholarship money go to "athletes". I wish colleges would start diverting money into the colleges themselves and top scholars instead of wasting it on these kids who's ultimate goal is the NBA or NFL, etc., even if they have to drop out to attain it.

Excellent post! I agree with you 100%!

Louis Vuitton employees and headquarters declined to comment.

A Salvatore Ferragamo employee confirmed Monday that the three had visited the store, but said nothing unusual took place. “Three tall gentlemen, right?” he said. “They came through here, but just browsed normally.”

A Gucci employee, in a spot nearby, also said no one stole from the store.

Those at Italian luxury shop Ermenegildo Zegna declined to comment.

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-china-ucla-sighting-20171113-story.html

Of course he did, let's hope that every American visiting China gets the same preferential treatment - *sigh, rolls eyes*:

President Trump personally asked his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, to help resolve the case of three UCLA men's basketball players. An official indicated that charges against the players have been reduced and that the case is proceeding toward a resolution.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ers-arrested-in-china/?utm_term=.354772d2bff9

JMO's

That's why I'm hoping that the Chinese keep them there until their god complex melts down. This is justice that wouldn't happen in the US.

JMO's

Are police being called when he steals?

Louis Vuitton employees and headquarters declined to comment.

A Salvatore Ferragamo employee confirmed Monday that the three had visited the store, but said nothing unusual took place. “Three tall gentlemen, right?” he said. “They came through here, but just browsed normally.”

A Gucci employee, in a spot nearby, also said no one stole from the store.

Those at Italian luxury shop Ermenegildo Zegna declined to comment.

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-china-ucla-sighting-20171113-story.html

From that article.

The players are said to be suspected of stealing from a Louis Vuitton outlet around the corner from the hotel, where some sunglasses go for $740. ESPN cited anonymous sources Sunday that said surveillance footage shows them shoplifting from three stores in the high-end mall.

I hear you, my kid was on the academic team, and made really good grades. Did get a partial, offer, but not in what she was wanting to do.... However, these sports teams bring big money to the schools. No one buys hats and tix to see an academic competition .. That's why its so big.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

UCLA PLAYERS
LEAVING CHINA, FLYING TO U.S.
... Trump Weighs In

UCLA PLAYERS LEAVING CHINA, FLYING TO U.S. ... Trump Weighs In

6:06 AM PT -- President Trump was asked about the UCLA situation before boarding Air Force One ... and praised Chinese President Xi for helping out.
"President Xi has been terrific on that subject ... But that was not a good subject. That was not something that should have happened."
When asked specifically for his thoughts on the shoplifting allegations, Trump said, "What they did was unfortunate."
"You know, you’re talking about very long prison sentences. They [Chinese officials] do not play games."

The 3 UCLA basketball players accused of shoplifting in China are finally leaving the country Tuesday -- and flying back to the United States, this according to the Wall Street Journal.
LiAngelo Ball, Jalen Hill and Cody Riley were spotted at the Pudong International Airport in Shanghai early Tuesday -- getting ready to board a Delta plane bound for Los Angeles.
The players had been confined to their hotel after officials say they jacked sunglasses from a Louis Vuitton store during the team trip to China.
Some of the most powerful people in the world got involved in order to get the players home -- including President Donald Trump and billionaire Alibaba founder Jack Ma.

UCLA Players Leaving China, Flying to U.S., Trump Weighs In (UPDATE) | TMZ.com

President Donald Trump confirmed that he did intervene with China President Xi Jinping in this case of three UCLA basketball players who were arrested after shoplifting in China.

Those players are set to leave the country Tuesday. The players were seen checking into to Pudong International Airport in Shanghai for a flight bound for Los Angeles.

"What they did was unfortunate. You know, you're talking about very long prison sentences," Trump said, according to CBS News. "They do not play games." Trump said that Xi is helping out with the case and has been "terrific on that subject" and added that he hopes the players are able to return home soon. "Hopefully everything is going to work out," Trump said. "It's a very rough situation."

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/11/14/donald-trump-ucla-shoplifting-case

___

So, I wonder what type of fanfare these three will get. How about a prison sentence in the US in lieu of China, Mr. President? With the President having to intervene, it makes me ill that these three punks got nothing more than a slap on the wrist, if that. I am hoping they have some sort of punishment, banishment from the NCAA, once they arrive home.

PREDICTIONS?

What is UCLA going to do with these 3 athletes? Will they be welcomed back on the team?

They will be home in a few hours. Just in time to get ready for the next game.

The 3 players were seen working out in the hotel gym all last week, with a UCLA athletic assistant. It sounds to me like they will get a slap on the wrist, barely, and return to the team.

PREDICTIONS?

What is UCLA going to do with these 3 athletes? Will they be welcomed back on the team?

I'm curious myself and will follow up. I'm upset that they didn't spend 1 night in Chinese jail. What did the US have to give up to China to get these 3 hoodlums out of jail? These three better not continue on their more than half a million dollar UCLA scholarship and welcomed back on the team.

President Donald Trump confirmed that he did intervene with China President Xi Jinping in this case of three UCLA basketball players who were arrested after shoplifting in China.

Those players are set to leave the country Tuesday. The players were seen checking into to Pudong International Airport in Shanghai for a flight bound for Los Angeles.

"What they did was unfortunate. You know, you're talking about very long prison sentences," Trump said, according to CBS News. "They do not play games." Trump said that Xi is helping out with the case and has been "terrific on that subject" and added that he hopes the players are able to return home soon. "Hopefully everything is going to work out," Trump said. "It's a very rough situation."

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/11/14/donald-trump-ucla-shoplifting-case

___

So, I wonder what type of fanfare these three will get. How about a prison sentence in the US in lieu of China, Mr. President? With the President having to intervene, it makes me ill that these three punks got nothing more than a slap on the wrist, if that. I am hoping they have some sort of punishment, banishment from the NCAA, once they arrive home.
They've embarrassed their families , school, and country. They may lose their scholarship, and these type trips may also come under scrutiny (as they should). As OP said, people here in the U.S. don't always serve time over shoplifting (but some do). At the VERY least, they should sit the rest of the season out, in the locker room, not even on the bench. I doubt they realized how serious this could have been.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PERSONAL CONDUCT
Student-athletes are expected to conduct themselves, both on and off campus, in a manner which brings credit to the University
and their teams. Student-athletes must be concerned with any behavior which might embarrass themselves, their teams, and/or
the University. All incident reports for on-campus residents will be forwarded to the Athletic Department for appropriate action.
Student-athletes must be especially concerned with the following areas of student misconduct:

• Stealing, or being an accessory to theft

http://static.uclabruins.com/pdf/sa-handbook.pdf?db_oem_id=30500

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member