Kenya - Olympic marathon runner, Rebecca Cheptegei, dies after boyfriend 'set her on fire' leaving her with 75% burns in petrol attack

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Dotta

Reaction score
:oops:

"Ugandan Olympic marathon runner Rebecca Cheptegei is receiving treatment in hospital for 75 per cent burns after allegedly being sent on fire by her boyfriend.

Cheptegei had recently returned to Kenya following the Paris 2024 Olympics, where she represented Uganda in the marathon.

Police have confirmed Cheptegei was attacked in her house in the western Trans Nzoia County, where she had been training.

Cheptegei had allegedly been set on fire by her former boyfriend Dickson Ndiema.

Trans Nzoia County Police Commander Jeremiah ole Kosiom said her former partner had bought a can of petrol, poured it on her and set her ablaze during a disagreement on Sunday."

:(

Prayers for recovery.

Last edited:
Rebecca was not the first successful female athlete in Africa to have been killed by partner/former partner. Agnes Tirop was killed in October 2021, and Damaris Mutua in April 2022.
Rebecca has two children, it's not mentioned if the former partner is the father or not.

Rebecca was not the first successful female athlete in Africa to have been killed by partner/former partner. Agnes Tirop was killed in October 2021, and Damaris Mutua in April 2022.
Rebecca has two children, it's not mentioned if the former partner is the father or not.

Rebecca is alive.

Rebecca is alive.
I should have written "injured or killed by partners" in my post, but unfortunately Rebecca has now died. She suffered 80% burns, and they very often lead to death. He suffered 30% burns.

THe man who did this isn't the father of her children.

Last edited:
This tragedy is also commented in my country Poland.

From Polish MSM:

"Shortly after her death,
the story of this shocking crime was revealed.

The Kenyan newspaper The Standard reports that the woman was attacked by her ex-partner when she returned from church.

The incident was witnessed by her two daughters,
aged 9 and 11.

'He kicked me when I tried to run to save my mother.

I immediately called for help,
attracting a neighbor who tried to put out the flames with water,
but it was impossible'

- one of the girls described the attack."

:oops:

1725545526163.png

REST IN PEACE

Earlier this week, the athlete's father claimed that his daughter and her ex-boyfriend were fighting over land at Endebess, a town in Kenya, before the attack took place.

Speaking to The Star, Mr Cheptegei said: "They were just friends and I wonder why he wanted to take away things belonging to my daughter," also revealing that her two children are fathered by another man living in Uganda.

The pair were allegedly set to appear before the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) in Kitale, Kenya, over a land tussle.

He added: "'Her attacker was a friend they met in Kenya and my daughter trusted him.

"They fell out recently but the suspect sneaked into her compound on Sunday afternoon, armed with five litres of petrol and hid in a poultry house.

"Rebecca was outside the house when the suspect appeared and immediately poured petrol on her before lighting the fire," he claimed.

Mr Cheptegei concluded: "My daughter called for help by asking her sister who was in the home to bring a blanket to put off the fire but the suspect who was armed with a machete chased her away and Rebecca burnt."

But now, photos of the alleged perpetrator have been released on social media by media.

Earlier this week, the athlete's father claimed that his daughter and her ex-boyfriend were fighting over land at Endebess, a town in Kenya, before the attack took place.

Speaking to The Star, Mr Cheptegei said: "They were just friends and I wonder why he wanted to take away things belonging to my daughter," also revealing that her two children are fathered by another man living in Uganda.

The pair were allegedly set to appear before the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) in Kitale, Kenya, over a land tussle.

He added: "'Her attacker was a friend they met in Kenya and my daughter trusted him.

"They fell out recently but the suspect sneaked into her compound on Sunday afternoon, armed with five litres of petrol and hid in a poultry house.

"Rebecca was outside the house when the suspect appeared and immediately poured petrol on her before lighting the fire," he claimed.

Mr Cheptegei concluded: "My daughter called for help by asking her sister who was in the home to bring a blanket to put off the fire but the suspect who was armed with a machete chased her away and Rebecca burnt."

But now, photos of the alleged perpetrator have been released on social media by media.

This article says she has died :(.

As I went down the rabbit hole today about the murders of these female athletes I came across this fantastic documentary (posted by Bloomberg Originals 9 months ago) about Agnes Tirop's murder. One positive to come out of it was the formation of 'Tirop's Angels', a charity run by some fellow female runners/friends and family. They are trying to tackle violence against women in Kenya, and in particular educating young female athletes. These athletes are quite vulnerable when they are starting out since some men will want control of them, hoping to benefit from there future earnings.

Here is another great documentary. It's about what elite and hopeful distance running athletes go through in Kenya's training centres and the corruption of Kenyan officials.

ETA: as an aside, Rebecca, the runner who just died from burns, actually died in Kenya, not Uganda. Although she is Ugandan and competed for Uganda at the Olympics, she lived across the border in Kenya. This area of Kenya (the Great Rift Valley in western Kenya) is where most of Kenya's top distance runners come from and many international athletes train there too.

Last edited:
I just read about this case last night and it upset me so much I had insomnia. What a horrible death, and such a tragedy when this young woman had just been an Olympian like two weeks ago...

I should have written "injured or killed by partners" in my post, but unfortunately Rebecca has now died. She suffered 80% burns, and they very often lead to death. He suffered 30% burns.

THe man who did this isn't the father of her children.

omg so sad
RIP Rebecca

I just read about this case last night and it upset me so much I had insomnia. What a horrible death, and such a tragedy when this young woman had just been an Olympian like two weeks ago...
Such a horrific death, only made intolerably worse by the fact that her children saw her burning and were prevented from helping her.
And to think that Rebecca's death is the third domestic violence death of an elite runner in Kenya in less than 3 years. Unthinkable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tawnitrevino
Back