UK - 39 bodies found in lorry container, Essex, 23 Oct 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Driver extradition trial hears lorry drivers paid up to €1,000 per trafficked migrant

“One of the lorry drivers involved in a suspected conspiracy to traffic human beings into the UK were allegedly being paid up to €1,000 per trafficked person, the High Court has heard....
Counsel for the Minister for Justice, Ronan Kennedy SC, told the High Court today that the case as alleged against Mr Harrison couldn't be "any clearer".

Mr Kennedy alleged that Mr Harrison was "integrally involved" in a conspiracy to traffic illegal Vietnamese immigrants into the UK since as early as 2018.

According to information provided by the UK’s Crown Prosecution Service, Mr Kennedy told the court that Mr Harrison and another named individual were “recruited” to do this by another man. One of the drivers was being paid €1,000 per trafficked person and on one occasion was paid €20,000, Mr Kennedy said.

Mr Harrison was allegedly stopped on a previous occasion in May 2018 pulling a trailer containing 18 migrants, Mr Kennedy told the court.
Later that year, a trailer containing migrants was taken to a location where they were collected by cars described by witnesses as a “fleet of Mercedes” cars, according to Mr Kennedy.

In another incident, following the collection of illegal migrants from a trailer by cars, there was an “operation” to clean the trailer before delivery of the consignment’s legitimate load. Mr Kennedy said the intended recipients of the legitimate consignment refused to accept the load due to signs that human beings had been in the trailer.

In relation to the 39 migrants found dead in Essex, in October, Mr Harrison and his alleged coconspirators “knew they were in the trailer”, Mr Kennedy contended. The had been locked into a sealed container and were left unaccompanied for nine hours on a sea crossing that resulted in their unfortunate deaths.
Mr Harrison drove the truck that pulled the trailer, and booked it in, Mr Kennedy said. Shortly after the arrest of Mr Harrison’s coconspirators, there was telephone contact between Mr Harrison and another individual.

Mr Harrison did not immediately return to Ireland, Mr Kennedy said, and he did not contact law enforcement agents despite the fact he had transported the trailer in which the bodies of 39 people were found.....

On Thursday, Mr Harrison’s lawyers said there was an issue in relation to territoriality and it was unclear whether Mr Harrison is to be prosecuted for offences committed inside the UK or in Belgium.

His barrister, Siobhán Stack SC, said it was not alleged that Mr Harrison placed the deceased into the trailer. It was not alleged that Mr Harrison knew the people were in the trailer nor that there were 39 of them.

It was simply alleged that Mr Harrison transported the trailer but there was nothing to say where the people were collected, who collected them or who put them in the trailer, she added.

There were too many "critical missing facts" and the High Court was being asked to fill in too many blanks, she submitted.”

I would say to Siobhán Stack that it is precisely because no one knows where the people were collected etc that the police need to interview EH. And that EH would be potentially able to fill in some ‘critical missing facts’. If only she was not so busy dredging up technicalities.

Though I do know that the law depends in due process.

Since EH returned to Ireland on foot, and was arrested on foot, what happened to the blue cab that he was driving?

ETA: the blue cab was seized by police in Dublin. I am curious that so many report that EH was arrested ‘on foot’.

Last edited:
Shortly after the arrest of Mr Harrison’s coconspirators, there was telephone contact between Mr Harrison and another individual.

So that would be Robinson and.......? Unnamed individual arrested at Stansted, and the Mahers?

When I read this I took the arrested coconspirator to be Robinson and the telephone contact between Harrison and another individual to be one of the Hughes brothers!

From what I have read it appears R Hughes knew very quickly what had happened with the container. As I recall there is at least one newspaper report back in October saying that Hughes had called the police and told them that Robinson was legit shortly after the discovery of the bodies. Does it seem logical that as soon as Robinson knew there was a problem with the load (legal or otherwise) he would have contacted the ‘owner’ of the container/load which we have been told was rented by Ronan Hughes? My assumption was that Hughes presumably got hold of Harrison as his driver on the previous leg of the container’s journey.

Is there any reason why Robinson’s court appearances are by video link and the others in custody appear to be in court? Even when Kennedy and Robinson appeared together the other day one was in court and one by video. Not a legal person so as the man on the street so to speak this seems odd. Also why has Robinson not been asked to enter pleas for trafficking and manslaughter yet. Is that odd too?

I would have to look back through the reports but I am pretty sure it was trotted that MR called RH after he called the emergency services.

It is interesting that the arrested ‘co-conspirators’ is plural, as the Bros Hughes have not been arrested, and the other people, the Mahers and Stansted Man are not being held in custody.

Where is Dalston man?

I would have to look back through the reports but I am pretty sure it was trotted that MR called RH after he called the emergency services.

Hope that is the case. Even though we do not know when he became aware illegals were in his vehicle at least it appears he did the right thing straightaway when he knew something was wrong regardless of the consequences to himself.

Well spotted!

And again this:
“However, the whereabouts of the two suspects has not been known since Essex Police began its inquiry”

When it was reported that during the first CAB raid, the gruesome twosome were sitting around while the search took place around them!

Good to know that work is still going on. The Irish High Court makes a judgement on Eamonn Hughes’ extradition on Jan 25th.

Eamonn and Mo's trucks were moved earlier in the week:
82315803_1059484367737229_374645813931933696_o.jpg

82419873_3216324348382671_4937553077029830656_n.jpg

83158003_3216324435049329_7248655960892243968_n.jpg

Eamonn and Mo's trucks were moved earlier in the week:
82315803_1059484367737229_374645813931933696_o.jpg

82419873_3216324348382671_4937553077029830656_n.jpg

83158003_3216324435049329_7248655960892243968_n.jpg
That was great Sleuthing!
Apparently the two lorries are now on an old airfield near Colchester. So it seems Essex police were able to get the lorry EH was driving sent over from Dublin where, as I understand it, it was picked up? Is the blue lorry definitely the one EH was driving? When it was photographed after being seized at Dublin, it was without trailer? After all, he had left the trailer to be loaded in to the ferry in Zeebrugge?

Joanna and Thomas Maher's bail is up the day before on January 24th too.

Big day tomorrow, Jan 24th

Eamonn Harrison's extradition and the Maher's bail.

Interested to see what happens. EH's lawyer seems to have relied heavily on technicalities.
There are many areas for the police to have made progress on:
The mobile phones - purchases, records etc
Forensic evidence on trailer and cab
Interviews with CK and MR
Interviews with the man arrested in Dalston
Interviews with Stansted Man (is he having to keep returning to court for bail??)
Any evidence form the material retrieved in the raid on the Hughes Bros (if available to the Essex Police / UK judiciary).

In which court is the Maher's bail heard?

There is a Facebook group called Essex Lorry Deaths News Updates which copies an article by a Journalist called Jason Johnson that alleges that the Hughes brothers have fallen out over Christmas due to pressure. And also that the local community and the trucking community are now against them.

Essex lorry deaths news updates

It is a Facebook page that posts media reports - not a 'gossip' page.

There is also a post with photographs of a hard copy of an article in the Sunday World (which does not seem to have an open web based edition, I think) that alleges that there is a 'Fixer' who co-ordinates the operation that Hughes and the drivers were involved in, and suggests that he was in Essex when the deaths were discovered - to collect the money.

There is a Facebook group called Essex Lorry Deaths News Updates which copies an article by a Journalist called Jason Johnson that alleges that the Hughes brothers have fallen out over Christmas due to pressure. And also that the local community and the trucking community are now against them.

Essex lorry deaths news updates

It is a Facebook page that posts media reports - not a 'gossip' page.

There is also a post with photographs of a hard copy of an article in the Sunday World (which does not seem to have an open web based edition, I think) that alleges that there is a 'Fixer' who co-ordinates the operation that Hughes and the drivers were involved in, and suggests that he was in Essex when the deaths were discovered - to collect the money.

We're gonna need the MSM link for that article to stay in TOS. Do you know who he writes for? I'm trying to help find it. :)

Found it.

Last edited:
Thomas and Joanna Maher have been released 'under investigation'

Warrington couple arrested over 39 dead bodies found in lorry released by police

"A spokesman for Essex Police said: “A 39-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman from Warrington and a 46-year-old man from Northern Ireland, who were bailed until Friday, January 24, have since been released under investigation.” "

I am not sure what 'released under investigation' means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomgetty