Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
High Court to decide on lorry driver extradition appeal

From the Irish press.

"His counsel Siobhan Stack submitted today that the case is one of exceptional public importance and an appeal is in the public interest"

I wonder who is paying a top expert barrister to defend him so tenaciously?

I also wonder why the Belgians haven't asked for his extradition, as any crime he committed in terms loading illegal migrants on to a ferry in a sealed container would have been committed on Belgian soil.

UK lorry tragedy: NI suspect allegedly involved in other trafficking incidents

“As part of his initial judgment he offered on January 24, Judge Binchy said that Harrison is additionally believed to have been involved in the “transportation of illegal migrants from Zeebrugge Port to Purfleet Port on 10th/11th October 2019, and again on 17th/18th October 2019.

"On the latter occasion, the same trailer as that used to transport the deceased migrants on 22nd/23rd October 2019 was used. The respondent [Mr. Harrison] was identified as being the driver".

Justice Binchy added: “It is stated that on 9th May 2018, the respondent [Mr. Harrison] was stopped at Coquelles, France, driving a trailer unit in which 18 Vietnamese migrants were discovered." “

And more details about the trailer.

UK lorry tragedy: NI suspect allegedly involved in other trafficking incidents

“As part of his initial judgment he offered on January 24, Judge Binchy said that Harrison is additionally believed to have been involved in the “transportation of illegal migrants from Zeebrugge Port to Purfleet Port on 10th/11th October 2019, and again on 17th/18th October 2019.

"On the latter occasion, the same trailer as that used to transport the deceased migrants on 22nd/23rd October 2019 was used. The respondent [Mr. Harrison] was identified as being the driver".

Justice Binchy added: “It is stated that on 9th May 2018, the respondent [Mr. Harrison] was stopped at Coquelles, France, driving a trailer unit in which 18 Vietnamese migrants were discovered." “

And more details about the trailer.

Well that doesn't sound good for him. Jmo

I would guess that the extradition of EH might set a precedent or at least inform the possible extradition of the Hughes Bros.

Or that information gained from interviewing EH might assist with the European Arrest Warrant for the Hughes.

So not so much 'exceptional public interest' as very particular person's interest. Hence the expensive barrister working so hard to block the assistance of an investigation into the deaths of 39 people.

#776 links to a hard copy of an Irish newspaper that references a 'Fixer' who manages the Hughes.

Some links about the context of (some) Irish smuggling and links to Bulgaria (remember RH has a conviction for cigarette smuggling) :

Bulgaria Involved in Massive IRA Money Laundering - WikiLeaks - Novinite.com - Sofia News Agency

The smoking gun behind IRA’s new terror campaign A cigarette smuggling route that starts in....Vietnam.

EH was described in his first hearing as being of 'modest means' so I would guess he is not paying the barrister bill? Unless Ireland has a generous legal aid system?

Another name is in the frame:

Two more arrested over Vietnamese truck deaths, UK police say

And another unnamed suspect .

Lorry death migrants died from 'overheating'

"A 22-year-old man was arrested in Northern Ireland on Sunday on suspicion of manslaughter and facilitating unlawful immigration. He is in custody in Essex.

Gheorghe Nica, 43, of Mimosa Close in Langdon Hills, Essex, was detained at Frankfurt Airport on 29 January, Essex Police said.

He was subject of a European Arrest Warrant and appeared at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court on Saturday charged with 39 counts of manslaughter and conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration.

He will next appear at the Old Bailey on 16 March"

Essex lorry deaths suspect granted extradition appeal

"Mr Justice Donald Binchy at Dublin’s high court accepted arguments raised by Eamonn Harrison’s defence team related to the issuing of a European arrest warrant. Harrison’s lawyers claimed there were “manifest errors” in the original warrant.

They contended that when additional information was sought from the UK authorities, that information was provided by the Crown Prosecution Service instead of a judicial authority.

Binchy said there was a need to explore the points raised in a higher court. He formally made an order granting extradition to the UK but placed a stay on the execution of that order pending the outcome of court of appeal proceedings".

No date given.

Just heard a headline on BBC Scotland radio- initial inquests found cause of deaths was lack of oxygen and....overheating. I'm not too sure of the context of this headline, I just caught that snippet. Has anyone seen any articles?
Overheating - I was surprised to hear that. Is it possibly a symptom of lack of oxygen ?
Seven more people charged over Essex lorry deaths

Edit to add link

Last edited:
Just heard a headline on BBC Scotland radio- initial inquests found cause of deaths was lack of oxygen and....overheating. I'm not too sure of the context of this headline, I just caught that snippet. Has anyone seen any articles?
Overheating - I was surprised to hear that. Is it possibly a symptom of lack of oxygen ?
Seven more people charged over Essex lorry deaths

Edit to add link
See post #790 Captain Nancy. Link to BBC news re overheating

Excellent that they have caught more people at the Vietnamese end if the chain.

Still a big missing link in Europe though, between the drivers that have been accused and whoever co-ordinates them. And let’s hope investigations in Monaghan are continuing...

Overheating would be caused by putting 39 heat producing humans into a sealed trailer which being designed as a refrigerated unit is extremely well insulated. No air in or out, to replenish oxygen or to moderate the temperature.

In high temperatures the body has to use more energy to try and cool itself, so will use more oxygen. So the heat and lack of oxygen will have exacerbated the conditions.

They were in that trailer for a very long time, It is a long crossing, and piecing together various reports (links up thread) that Robinson waited for 12 hours at the industrial site it seems possible that Harrison missed the first ferry and waited for the one that Robinson eventually met. Increasing the time they were in the trailer even further. That is just a suggestion though, not reported as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomgetty