UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you have to appeal within 21 days after sentencing, so if he is going to try that we'll probably hear within the next few weeks? Do you think there's any chance he will? Would it be Lord Matthews again that he would go before?

Oh nevermind, I forgot that it goes to a panel of judges.
Any appeal will be quickly dismissed. Lord Matthews made sure he had his i's dotted and his t's crossed, even though I know some were unhappy that the minimum tariff wasn't longer as a result, he did what was legally required to make it appeal proof. MOO.

Any appeal will be quickly dismissed. Lord Matthews made sure he had his i's dotted and his t's crossed, even though I know some were unhappy that the minimum tariff wasn't longer as a result, he did what was legally required to make it appeal proof. MOO.

Do you not think he'll argue that 27 years is too long for someone under 18? Not that I agree, I'm just speculating. Especially based on the fact that they cannot diagnose someone under 18 with psychopathy, so he could potentially argue that the psychology reports aren't as solid - or shouldn't be as determining of a factor when sentencing a minor - as they would be when sentencing an adult? I know the judge already said he took Aaron's age into consideration but the amount of years is unprecedented for his age.

Or maybe he'll launch an appeal when Lord Matthews dies?

Do you not think he'll argue that 27 years is too long for someone under 18? Not that I agree, I'm just speculating. Especially based on the fact that they cannot diagnose someone under 18 with psychopathy, so he could potentially argue that the psychology reports aren't as solid - or shouldn't be as determining of a factor when sentencing a minor - as they would be when sentencing an adult? I know the judge already said he took Aaron's age into consideration but the amount of years is unprecedented for his age.

Yeah I think 27 years is a good sentence considering his age, but I know a lot of people are fuming saying it’s too short. I also took it as it doesn’t mean in any way he’ll be out in 27 years, that it would be upto others to decide however it was a remote possibility.

I truly believe he’ll never get out, he’ll either die in prison ( although he’s too Narcassistic to comitt suicide imo ) or he won’t be released until he’s in his 50’s or 60’s . He really sealed his fate with that laughing confession in my opinion.

His crime is unprecedented for his age too! Lord Matthews spelled out the aggravating and mitigating factors he took into account in his sentencing, and IMO an appeals court will follow his logic and uphold the sentence.

Lord Matthews being dead would make no difference to an appeal, his judgement and sentencing will still be there after he's gone.

Yeah I think 27 years is a good sentence considering his age, but I know a lot of people are fuming saying it’s too short. I also took it as it doesn’t mean in any way he’ll be out in 27 years, that it would be upto others to decide however it was a remote possibility.

I truly believe he’ll never get out, he’ll either die in prison ( although he’s too Narcassistic to comitt suicide imo ) or he won’t be released until he’s in his 50’s or 60’s . He really sealed his fate with that laughing confession in my opinion.

Oh yeah I don't think he'll get out either. I think even then he'll be deemed as too dangerous. Maybe when he's an old pensioner and physically isn't capable of murder but even then I doubt it.

Scary though because even in his 50's or 60's he could still kill. That's frightening. Although they do say that murderous desires tend to lessen as psychopaths get older for some reason, I think as they age the compulsion isn't as strong. I don't think he'll commit suicide either.

“Last night, a friend who provided photos to the Record was still at a loss to explain how Campbell could be capable of such a shocking crime.

He speculated that “drug and alcohol abuse” in his teen years could have been a factor.”

Feel bad for his friends too, they must be so shaken up, honestly don’t know how I’d feel if one of my best mates done something like this

Face of evil: Aaron Campbell pictured smirking hours before killing Alesha

Sounds like he never revealed everything to his friends.
Wonder was this his close friend who sent in the photographs to the DR? It's more likely that AC as a teenage boy, would have confided in his close friend/s rather than with anyone else.

I didn't realise Dennis Nilsen only got 25 years minimum before he was eligible for parole. I mean I know he wasn't going to get out but that seems very... lenient for a serial killer who butchered up to 15 people.
Sentencing has gotten tougher since Nilsen was convicted though, if he was being sentenced today he would almost certainly get a whole life tariff.

Oh yeah I don't think he'll get out either. I think even then he'll be deemed as too dangerous. Maybe when he's an old pensioner and physically isn't capable of murder but even then I doubt it.

Scary though because even in his 50's or 60's he could still kill. That's frightening. Although they do say that murderous desires tend to lessen as psychopaths get older for some reason, I think as they age the compulsion isn't as strong. I don't think he'll commit suicide either.
I don't know. 27 years is a long time for a 16 year old boy to think about spending in prison. He did have plans for his future before his compulsions took over.

I don't know. 27 years is a long time for a 16 year old boy to think about spending in prison. He did have plans for his future before his compulsions took over.

You may be right. 27 years is a very long time. I remember at 16 even a year felt like forever. I'm not even 27 yet, so to imagine having to spend all of that time in prison is quite a prospect. He does seem very narcissistic though and probably interested in self-preservation. We'll see how long that lasts.

Yes I’ve always thought the CCTV was more for ACs movements although I was shocked how many people on an island with apparent low crime rates have CCTV. Nearly everyone along that street.
We discussed in an earlier thread that the two houses with CCTV cameras that filmed a 'shadowy figure' carrying something were both located adjacent to a pub/restaurant. There were public records showing a long-running dispute between the neighbours and the owner of the establishment, so that's likely why they had CCTV.

The Campbells (obviously) had CCTV, so that's three. I'm not aware of anyone else providing CCTV.

You may be right. 27 years is a very long time. I remember at 16 even a year felt like forever. I'm not even 27 yet, so to imagine having to spend all of that time in prison is quite a prospect. He does seem very narcissistic though and probably interested in self-preservation. We'll see how long that lasts.
And then after 2 years

As well as it being a long time for a 16 year old, it also means he's spending all the formative years of his life behind bars in a way that doesn't apply to a 30, 40 year old sentenced to 27 years. All the years when everybody is laying foundations to their life, choosing a career, finding a partner, building a home, he will waste in prison. Even if he did get out after 27 years, he would have nothing to come out to and would be completely institutionalised. That's one of the reasons why I think he'll never be passed for release by any parole board.

Fear of institutionalising juveniles is one of the reasons why they are usually not sentenced to as long as 27 years even when they kill. By passing down such a sentence the judge as good as said that AC will never be fit to live an independent life.

As well as it being a long time for a 16 year old, it also means he's spending all the formative years of his life behind bars in a way that doesn't apply to a 30, 40 year old sentenced to 27 years. All the years when everybody is laying foundations to their life, choosing a career, finding a partner, building a home, he will waste in prison. Even if he did get out after 27 years, he would have nothing to come out to and would be completely institutionalised. That's one of the reasons why I think he'll never be passed for release by any parole board.

Fear of institutionalising juveniles is one of the reasons why they are usually not sentenced to as long as 27 years even when they kill. By passing down such a sentence the judge as good as said that AC will never be fit to live an independent life.
Good points. How closely and medically monitored will he be? Likely to be more now in Polmont than where goes at 18yrs?

Yeah his mums 55 now so she might not even be around when he’s released, he’ll have no one. I doubt very much his sister is going to keep in contact with him and his mates deffinitley won’t, if some of them had doubts he done it that’s completely gone now he’s confessed. He’ll be a very lonely boy/man for sure

Very true. Imagine what that does to the psyche as well, becoming an adult while imprisoned. The only adult life you've ever known being behind bars. And what exactly would he do if he got out? How would be able to cope? His parents would maybe be dead (if not pretty elderly), who would hire a convicted child murderer to work for them? How would he function in the outside world and who would even be there to support him, I'd imagine pretty much no one. So you're probably right. It's set up so that he's likely never getting out. It's even in his own best interest. Because he'd be a target (understandably so) and he would find it hard to function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomgetty