UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Paid Assassin?

We have heard that the gunman was possibly a professional hit-man. Indeed the police seem to think this is the most likely explanation. We have even heard speculation that he was an IRA member earning a bit of cash on the side. But how likely is it that he was a 'professional' in any sense of the word?

You would expect a professional, whose sole purpose, when he called on Alistair Wilson one evening, was to murder him would do the deed as quickly and efficiently as possible. That didn't happen - the gunman spent some time talking with his victim, gave him an envelope, allowed him to go back into the house (while he waited on the doorstep), talked a bit more when he returned and only then did he get around to what he was there to do. What about the gun? The Haenel Schmeisser handgun is small weapon in every sense of the word (called a pocket pistol or lady's gun) - it has a small calibre (6.35 mm) and a short barrel - the muzzle velocity isn't going to be high and the energy of the bullet will be comparatively low. Either this low energy or the incompetence of the gunman (or both) meant that the three shots fired were insufficient to kill Wilson outright (he died in hospital about an hour later). Compare with the similar doorstep murder of Jill Dando - a single shot from a 9 mm pistol killed her instantly.

I can't reconcile either the execution of the crime or the choice of weapon with the gunman being a professional. I can't even see that anyone setting out to murder Wilson, however amateur, would go about it in such roundabout and incompetent way.

But if the gunman didn't set out to murder Wilson why did Wilson end up dead?

Scenario

This is speculation but consistent with what is in the public domain.

I propose that the gunman lived in Nairn at the time the crime was committed - he was a local man, living within walking distance of the Wilsons. I also suggest that he habitually carried the gun with him whenever he went out. Possibly he had acquired it from a relative who had served in WW2 and brought it back from Europe or he had come across it by some other non-criminal way. He could have carried it in much the same way others carry their wallet or mobile phone and would feel comfortable that it was in his pocket. So it was that on the evening that he rang the bell at the Wilson's front door, his gun was, as usual, tucked away in his pocket.

In an earlier post I suggested that the gunman had had unfortunate dealings with the Bank of Scotland (Alistair Wilson's employer) - did a mortgage end with the loss of a home or did a loan that wasn't repaid cause the gunman to end up in the county court (or whatever the Scottish equivalent is)? Even though Alistair wasn't associated with the High Street arm of the bank, maybe the gunman didn't understand that distinction and felt that Alistair was someone who was to some extent responsible for his plight. Did he put this to Alistair who, of course, would know nothing of what had happened and would probably not understand? Is that why he returned to his wife bemused and perplexed by the conversation he had had with the man at the door? Was he given the envelope to put money in as hoped-for recompense? When he returned to the door essentially empty-handed did the gunman feel that Alistair was simply feigning bewilderment and was merely mocking him? Was the man so incensed by this imagined insult that enraged he pulled out his gun and shot Alistair three times in an access of rage?

Seeing what he had done, the gunman fled the scene - not initially in the direction of his home (his ultimate destination) but sensibly in the opposite direction - to loop round (as the yellow route in Jamber's map) and ultimately return home. Was the drain where the murder weapon was dumped selected because it was the furthest point from both his home and the Wilson's that he reached that night? If so, did he then turn left again at the junction of Seabank Road and then head down Academy Street?

Cases where people who live low-risk lifestyles yet are victims of unexplained, planned murders, interest me. They may have been murdered by a deranged individual who’s motive was entirely irrational, mistaken identity may be involved; hit men can screw up, or they may have a “secret life” that wasn’t so low risk after all.

Alistair had just given notice at the bank where he worked and had accepted a job that appears to be a significant step down. People do this all the time for a number of reasons. Nothing suspicious in itself, but quite a coincidence that he is murdered days after leaving his job. I think there is a connection.

The Doorstep Murder - BBC News
A really bizarre unsolved case, that has just largely been ignored. A tiny Scottish village (and my parents lived around the corner from the house)- would love some people to have a sleuth and see what they think..
Hi,

There's already a thread for Alistair -

UK - UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, Nairn, Scotland, 28 November 2004

- I've started duplicate threads myself by accident, so please don't think I'm being bossy by pointing it out. It's always hard to know how a post will come over.

ETA: For an old UK thread with not much news it's fairly active.

Awww thank you, I searched but couldn’t find one- how do I close this thread now????
I've reported my post so hopefully the mods will either merge or delete this. I have problems with the search too sometimes. I'd like to blame it on the software, but I suspect it's human error in my case.

I've reported my post so hopefully the mods will either merge or delete this. I have problems with the search too sometimes. I'd like to blame it on the software, but I suspect it's human error in my case.
Thank you

The Doorstep Murder - BBC News
A really bizarre unsolved case, that has just largely been ignored. A tiny Scottish village (and my parents lived around the corner from the house)- would love some people to have a sleuth and see what they think..

You said that your family lived around the corner from the house - did they live there at the time of the crime? Did they have any thoughts or hear any rumours about the case?

You said that your family lived around the corner from the house - did they live there at the time of the crime? Did they have any thoughts or hear any rumours about the case?
Yes they did and I can remember discussing it several times with my dad, my parents were recently retired and spent most evenings in the local pubs, for a sleepy rural town it was a hot topic of conversation. I will ring him over the weekend and quiz him and see what he can remember. Not a lot to add though at the moment- first thoughts was it was a case of mistaken identity, which then changed a few days later to it being work related and that he had been involved in something dodgy (which seems odd now, but was a common and relatively easy thing to do back then). As for the gun in the drain that started another phone conversation but the immediate local feeling was it had been planted and wasn’t left their originally. They moved away a few years back, but we spent many holidays up there with them and it really is a strange story when you know the place and the locals. That being said, it’s also the sort of place where everyone knows everyone’s business and you recognise the majority of people- which makes me think someone must know more.

Paid Assassin?

We have heard that the gunman was possibly a professional hit-man. Indeed the police seem to think this is the most likely explanation. We have even heard speculation that he was an IRA member earning a bit of cash on the side. But how likely is it that he was a 'professional' in any sense of the word?

You would expect a professional, whose sole purpose, when he called on Alistair Wilson one evening, was to murder him would do the deed as quickly and efficiently as possible. That didn't happen - the gunman spent some time talking with his victim, gave him an envelope, allowed him to go back into the house (while he waited on the doorstep), talked a bit more when he returned and only then did he get around to what he was there to do.
I can't reconcile either the execution of the crime or the choice of weapon with the gunman being a professional. I can't even see that anyone setting out to murder Wilson, however amateur, would go about it in such roundabout and incompetent way.

But if the gunman didn't set out to murder Wilson why did Wilson end up dead?

Scenario

I propose that the gunman lived in Nairn at the time the crime was committed - he was a local man, living within walking distance of the Wilsons. I also suggest that he habitually carried the gun with him whenever he went out. Possibly he had acquired it from a relative who had served in WW2 and brought it back from Europe or he had come across it by some other non-criminal way. He could have carried it in much the same way others carry their wallet or mobile phone and would feel comfortable that it was in his pocket. So it was that on the evening that he rang the bell at the Wilson's front door, his gun was, as usual, tucked away in his pocket.

In an earlier post I suggested that the gunman had had unfortunate dealings with the Bank of Scotland (Alistair Wilson's employer) - did a mortgage end with the loss of a home or did a loan that wasn't repaid cause the gunman to end up in the county court (or whatever the Scottish equivalent is)? Even though Alistair wasn't associated with the High Street arm of the bank, maybe the gunman didn't understand that distinction and felt that Alistair was someone who was to some extent responsible for his plight. Did he put this to Alistair who, of course, would know nothing of what had happened and would probably not understand? Is that why he returned to his wife bemused and perplexed by the conversation he had had with the man at the door? Was he given the envelope to put money in as hoped-for recompense? When he returned to the door essentially empty-handed did the gunman feel that Alistair was simply feigning bewilderment and was merely mocking him? Was the man so incensed by this imagined insult that enraged he pulled out his gun and shot Alistair three times in an access of rage?

Seeing what he had done, the gunman fled the scene - not initially in the direction of his home (his ultimate destination) but sensibly in the opposite direction - to loop round (as the yellow route in Jamber's map) and ultimately return home. Was the drain where the murder weapon was dumped selected because it was the furthest point from both his home and the Wilson's that he reached that night? If so, did he then turn left again at the junction of Seabank Road and then head down Academy Street?

Excellent points. As to where the killer dumped the gun - assuming the killer followed the 'yellow' line on the map there were drains further away (at several junctions and along the roads)....

I'm not convinced the killer is local given that there'd have to be a high chance of someone seeing them about town (or heading in and out of their home at around the time), and if they turned left (Toward the scene) they'd be passing the Police station and toward 'the action' while presumably still fitting the description of the killer....
Yes they did and I can remember discussing it several times with my dad, my parents were recently retired and spent most evenings in the local pubs, for a sleepy rural town it was a hot topic of conversation. I will ring him over the weekend and quiz him and see what he can remember. Not a lot to add though at the moment- first thoughts was it was a case of mistaken identity, which then changed a few days later to it being work related and that he had been involved in something dodgy (which seems odd now, but was a common and relatively easy thing to do back then). As for the gun in the drain that started another phone conversation but the immediate local feeling was it had been planted and wasn’t left their originally. They moved away a few years back, but we spent many holidays up there with them and it really is a strange story when you know the place and the locals. That being said, it’s also the sort of place where everyone knows everyone’s business and you recognise the majority of people- which makes me think someone must know more.

My gut instinct is the gun wasn't planted after the fact: the drain was never searched initially and it was the first visit around the time of the gully sucker. The positioning of the drain (last drain before the traffic lights on the main road) to my mind is telling as it offers strong circumstantial evidence of the killer's route (and hard evidence where the gun was left) - if the gun was planted at some later time, what would be the reason?

The fact that another identical gun turned up , and a very similar one also , all in Nairn is interesting?

Interesting indeed, it is difficult to say whether it's any more than chance however (given how the weapons arrived in the UK) - we do know the weapon was found in Nairn - not if it originated there immediately before the murder...

Complete speculation. imo.
Any chance there is a child somewhere whose presence has not been acknowledged emotionally or financially and is named Paul ?
Nothing's impossible - but what would be the motive in committing murder (as with any other 'reason', murder ensures you get nothing).

That being said, it’s also the sort of place where everyone knows everyone’s business and you recognise the majority of people- which makes me think someone must know more.

One reason I (personally) don't think the killer was/is anyone local. Aside from the need to keep quiet after the event, it would mean the killer (if they had a gripe with AW) must never have mentioned it to anyone at any time prior to the day of the murder - surely they would become a suspect if they had?

Paid Assassin?

You would expect a professional, whose sole purpose, when he called on Alistair Wilson one evening, was to murder him would do the deed as quickly and efficiently as possible. That didn't happen - the gunman spent some time talking with his victim, gave him an envelope, allowed him to go back into the house (while he waited on the doorstep), talked a bit more when he returned and only then did he get around to what he was there to do. What about the gun? The Haenel Schmeisser handgun is small weapon in every sense of the word (called a pocket pistol or lady's gun) - it has a small calibre (6.35 mm) and a short barrel - the muzzle velocity isn't going to be high and the energy of the bullet will be comparatively low. Either this low energy or the incompetence of the gunman (or both) meant that the three shots fired were insufficient to kill Wilson outright (he died in hospital about an hour later). Compare with the similar doorstep murder of Jill Dando - a single shot from a 9 mm pistol killed her instantly.

Sentiments I (and no doubt others!) wholeheartedly agree with. The most bizarre part is AW going back inside. At that point the killer had no reason to suppose he'd return to the doorstep not to mention whether anyone else might arrive at or depart the house.... AW - according to reports, went to 'decided to go and see if the person was still there' so doesn't appear to have 'always intended' to return to the door. On the other hand, why would one go to check? Did AW leave the caller 'walking away' - the natural conclusion to someone at your door talking about something odd (you watch them leave)?
Would you shut your door with the person obviously still standing there and not looking like leaving?

Paid Assassin?

Scenario

AW was 'bewildered' by what the killer was talking about - but we don't know the subject (There must have been one). If it had been about the bank, AW would know this (his employer) and would surely explain to someone he didn't work in personal banking (eg, someone in trouble with a bank loan or mortgage with the bank, even if it had nothing to do with AW, he would not be 'confused' about what the person meant)? Presumably the Police know what the killer was speaking about (at least the base subject) but this has never been divulged.

AW returns inside with envelope and discusses the caller (for some time) with his wife - confused about what the killer was on about. During that time, did AW not indicate what the general subject was?

JMO but i feel now is the time to release what was said and do a proper second look at this case. I understand that they probably withheld the conversation as it was perhaps the details they needed to secure a conviction. It’s such a dead end as far as new leads, this could be the thing that makes people put 2 and 2 together. On the same score, there’s a part of me thinks maybe nothing was said in that conversation, and it was just his sense of curiosity and naivety that sent him back downstairs.

I have been reading about this case for a while. I read that that AW and his wife had tried to use their house as a small hotel when they first bought the place. They failed to make a go of it. Their house was next door to a pub,which also was a small hotel. AW had complained to the local council about people who stayed in the pub's rooms throwing bottles into his garden. It struck me as strange that he got so annoyed. It sounded like he may have had some run ins with the pub's owners.

also, i read that he was about to go to work someplace else when he was killed, he had quit his job at the bank. The whole thing with the turquoise envelope was strange.Something seemed off there...is it true that several people in the town thought that AW's wife had him killed ? It is a fascinating case...

So I’ve not checked this thread for a while, after realising there had been another thread that had been merged decided to go back and read over from the beginning. I don’t recall seeing this post 1st time around. Firstly I believe the small pub/hotel you are referring to is the Havelock across the road from AW home, I hadn’t read anywhere before about AW complaining to council about bottles being thrown from the hotel into his garden. I have done some sleuthing & you could very well be correct about AW having a run in with someone connected to the Havelock eg either the owner or someone who worked there? Interesting reads in below articles. I am unsure of whether it’s okay to post the free library one or not? It does state article was taken from the Sunday Mail on 23rd Jan 2005. Remember there are supposedly no suspects in this case. I am in no way suggesting Andy Burnett or Stuart Wright were the gunman, Veronica would have recognised them if that were the case. The below articles just add another dimension to the case. Something just not sitting right with me.
THE NAIRN MURDER: BANKER'S BIZARRE FEUD OVER DECKING. - Free Online Library

PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

Chef sacked after closing hotel on night of Nairn banker's murder

Nairn murder won't drive me from my home, says chef | Press and Journal

Last edited:
I noticed this:

"On the night of the murder last November, the (Havelock) pub landlord (Andy Burnett) had been drinking at the nearby Shambles Bar when he was alerted to the incident by a Havelock regular."

in this article: Chef sacked after closing hotel on night of Nairn banker's murder

Does this strike anyone else as a bit odd?

I noticed this:

"On the night of the murder last November, the (Havelock) pub landlord (Andy Burnett) had been drinking at the nearby Shambles Bar when he was alerted to the incident by a Havelock regular."

in this article: Chef sacked after closing hotel on night of Nairn banker's murder

Does this strike anyone else as a bit odd?

Yes it defo struck me as odd, apparently Andy had only been in Shambles bar enough time to be poured a drink when someone rushed in and alerted him to the shooting. Shambles is on same Street as the havelock and AW home, down the street to the left from AW house, same direction the murderer walked from the crime scene. Also both Andy & Stuart’s dna would have been left at crime scene as both went to assist. AW apparently fell from stretcher and Andy helped put him back on, so it’s likely he would have been covered in Alastair’s blood. It’s my opinion the police already know who killed Alistair.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back