GUILTY UK - Arrest in 1987 'Bedsit Murders' of Wendy Knell, 25, and Caroline Pierce, 20, in Kent

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

uburoi1

Reaction score
Man, 66, arrested over 1987 Bedsit Murders of two women in
breakthrough for one of UK’s biggest unsolved double killings

Detectives have today made a dramatic arrest in one of Britain's longest unsolved double murder investigations.

A man, 66, was arrested today in relation to the 1987 Bedsit Murders - when Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce, who were both in their 20s, were sexually assaulted and strangled to death just months apart.

Police announced today that the man was arrested on suspicion of murdering the two women 33 years ago.

Wendy, 25, was found dead in June 1987 in her flat in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, five months before Caroline Pierce, 20, was found dead in a remote field on Romney Marsh in Kent.

Both women were found naked and their keys were missing.
more

2500.jpg

Police said David Fuller, from Heathfield, East Sussex, has been charged with two counts of murder in connection with the deaths of Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce in 1987.

He has been remanded in custody to appear before Medway magistrates court on Saturday.

Man charged over murders of Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce in 1987

Police announced in 2012 they had a full DNA profile. Be fascinating to see if they got the breakthrough from familial DNA on family tree websites...wouldn’t be at all surprised, with that passage of time...unless the suspect has a quite recent criminal record which is unlikely...

Police announced in 2012 they had a full DNA profile. Be fascinating to see if they got the breakthrough from familial DNA on family tree websites...wouldn’t be at all surprised, with that passage of time...unless the suspect has a quite recent criminal record which is unlikely...
Hi,

I hope so, I think they're missing out not doing it.

But the last I read was they weren't going to use it in the UK:

Police won’t use genealogy sites for cold cases | News | The Times

I'm glad for the arrest and pray they've got their man. I remember when this happened, and have never forgotten -- there's not much more chilling than reading
of a young woman, her life ahead of her, "found dead in a remote field on Romney Marsh."

Last edited:
If not forensic genealogy, then maybe he finally slipped up and committed a crime for which his DNA was taken and put into the database, which then matched him to the crime scene DNA.

I love it when arrests are made in cold cases. Some are very solvable, you just need the right breakthrough.

6 Dec 2020

Today, appearing at Crown Court, a provisional trial date was set for July 5, 2021.

David Fuller, appearing via video link, spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth.

He was remanded in custody and will next appear in court for a plea hearing on January 8, 2021.

Trial date set for man accused of Tunbridge Wells bedsit murders in 1987

Another interesting thing I found out from another web sleuth is that the Bedgebury Forest murdered lady had previous work connections in the same road as one of the murdered Tunbridge Wells victims.

What happened to the trial, has it been delayed due to covid.
Thanks for bumping this. Trial now October.
_____

His trial, which was due to start on July 5 and likely to be heard by a High Court judge, has had to be put back almost four months to October 25.

Judge David Griffith-Jones QC was told the original date was 'unrealistic' in respect of the expected scientific workload and limitations imposed by the COVID-19 restrictions on the laboratories.

Man denies 'bedsit murders' of Tunbridge Wells women

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211006-080924.png
    Screenshot_20211006-080924.png
    290.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics