GUILTY UK - Arrest in 1987 'Bedsit Murders' of Wendy Knell, 25, and Caroline Pierce, 20, in Kent

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've tried not to follow this case too closely, but I just had a look at the sentencing remarks. Shocked and sickened doesn't cover it. So much respect for all the police, other authorities, legal teams and the poor jury involved in this case, what they must have seen and heard. My god.

My female cousin died unexpectedly at the Tunbridge Wells Hospital in February 2017 aged 54. I don’t think the family have been contacted but it makes me terribly fearful. My poor Uncle is well into his 90s. Surely they would spare him that?

The second part of this episode talks about solved cases in Kent.
Police are still wanting David Fuller to tell them what happened to Caroline Pierce during the three weeks she was missing. I wonder if her death shows not an instant one or crime scene samples collected show she was taken elsewhere before her body being cruelly dumped.

Morgue monster David Fuller 'to be charged with further offences' | Daily Mail Online

The timeline in the article is quite interesting. In The Portsmouth News article previously it suggested that he hadn’t received a sentence for the 1970s crimes, but in here it suggests he had been convicted.

Timeline
1973: Fuller grew up in a terraced house in Angerstein Road, Portsmouth, and was living at the address when he was convicted of 26 counts of burglary.

June 23, 1987: Ms Knell is found dead in her apartment in Guildford Road on by her boyfriend. The bed, duvet and pillows were bloodstained, and her bloodstained head was resting on a towel. Police could find no signs of forced entry, and neighbours heard nothing through the flat's thin walls.

November 24, 1987: Ms Pierce, manager at a popular restaurant, is murdered by Fuller. However, it is not until three weeks later that her body - naked apart from a pair of tights - is found in a water-filled dyke of a remote field on Romney Marsh in Kent.

January 1989: Fuller begins working as an electrical maintenance craftsman at Kent and Sussex and Tunbridge Wells hospitals.

2008: The first evidence of Fuller having filmed and photographed himself sexually abusing the bodies of dozens of women at the mortuaries.

2012: Kent Police reveals it has a full DNA profile of their prime suspect for the murders of Ms Knell and Ms Pierce.

2015: Fuller has to undergo a criminal record check for the first time in the wake of revelations Jimmy Savile sexually assaulted patients. It emerges he had convictions for burglaries in the 1970s that he is understood to have previously lied about.

December 2020: Fuller is identified as the prime suspect in the murders after a DNA breakthrough achieved by analysing genetic material found at the crime scenes and searching criminal databases for relatives. Officers arrest him at his home in Heathfield, East Sussex, where he lived with his family, in the early hours of December 3.

January 2021: Fuller admits responsibility for both killings at Maidstone Crown Court, but his barrister says he will deny murder on the grounds of diminished responsibility. He is later charged with additional offences relating to the sexual abuse of more than 100 victims.

November 4, 2021: After his trial gets underway, Fuller changes his plea to guilty. He also admits a further 51 offences related to sexually abusing at least 102 victims, of which 82 have been identified, in the mortuaries over more than a decade.

December 15, 2021: Fuller appears for sentencing at Maidstone Crown Court.

Last edited:
From above:

A former hospital mortuary worker has pleaded guilty to abusing the bodies of 23 women over a 13-year period.

David Fuller, previously from Heathfield in East Sussex, appeared at Croydon Crown Court on Thursday.
The 68-year-old admitted 12 counts of sexual penetration of a corpse and four counts of possession of extreme *advertiser censored* between 2007 and 2020.
Fuller received two whole-life tariffs in December 2021 after murdering Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce in 1987.
Fuller beat and strangled the two women before sexually assaulting them in two separate attacks in Tunbridge Wells, Kent.
He was also given concurrent sentences of 12 years after pleading guilty to sexual offences against 78 dead women and girls between 2008 and 2020.

Mrs Justice Cheema-Grubb said Fuller, who appeared in court by video-link from HMP Frankland, must appear in person when she sentences him in the week starting 5 December.

"Depraved necrophiliac David Fuller - who evaded police for over 30 years after carrying out a double murder in 1987 - was handed a further four years in prison today for defiling women's bodies in hospital mortuaries."

Apologies if already posted up thread but it doesn't seem to have been. Came across this on BBC iPlayer earlier today. Includes quite a bit of body cam footage from the arrest and property search. Chilling beyond belief and investigators said they'd not managed to find any comparable cases even internationally to help them deal with this!

Cold Case: The Tunbridge Wells Murders

How did he choose the two women? Was it opportunity or careful planning?

How did he choose the two women? Was it opportunity or careful planning?
Both women worked in Camden Road in Tunbridge Wells at the time of their murders. Whether that was coincidence or Fuller came across Wendy working in SupaSnaps through his photography and had visited Buster Browns restaurant where Caroline worked who knows?

Both women worked in Camden Road in Tunbridge Wells at the time of their murders. Whether that was coincidence or Fuller came across Wendy working in SupaSnaps through his photography and had visited Buster Browns restaurant where Caroline worked who knows?

in the BBC programme I linked to above it was implied that he had visited both, Buster Browns was referenced in his diary and I'm pretty sure they said he had films developed at the Supasnaps.

Horrendous case and I wouldn't have dredged it up but the iPlayer link popped up when I was looking at totally unrelated BBC podcast material today and I couldn't find a reference up thread, so thought it might be worth posting.

Hate to say it but as for the meticulous collection and indexing he did it does now make me think it was possibly for the purpose of selling on the dark web.

We should identify the photo of him in a Forrest with his bike

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
upnorthmichigansleuth
Back