UK Uk- Bedgebury Forest, Kent, Woman, 30-35, 5'1'', brown hair & eyes, ectopic pregnancy, poss. sex worker, viciously murdered with wooden stake, Oct.'79

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Very lengthy article, rbbm.
November 2022 by Sean Axtell
1678725959714.png

'In October 1979 a woman's body was found in a forest in Kent and although her death sparked a murder hunt, no-one ever came forward to say who she was.

Reporter Sean Axtell looks back at the case which also never saw anyone convicted of killing the un-named woman who was aged between 30 and 35.'

''She was found with devastating head wounds in woodlands - she had been suffering an agonising ectopic pregnancy at the time of her death.

It was 1979 when a horse rider discovered her remains under bracken, years before DNA profiling was introduced to the UK.''

Standing 5ft 1in, slight and aged little over 30, she would become known as the Bedgebury Forest Woman, in one of Kent’s most puzzling criminal cases.''

''Her injuries, particularly around the neck and face, made her almost impossible to identify until huge scientific advancements were rolled out years later.''
She did however have brown eyes, naturally straight dark hair and was dressed in black shoes, a black polo jumper and yellow blouse underneath the dress, which had been modified to fit her small frame.

No easily identifying features, like a handbag, were discovered with her body, which was believed to have been in the thicket for around six days.

And laying just feet from her remains was the suspected murder weapon - a blood stained wooden stake.''

''An autopsy revealed her teeth, though badly decayed, placed her around 30-years-old.

And her lungs, clear from signs of smoking or pollution, suggested she lived in a rural area.''

''Stretch marks on the woman’s stomach indicated she could very well have a child alive in the world.

But perhaps the most sorrowful discovery of all was that she was suffering an ectopic pregnancy, having likely conceived six weeks before her death, causing substantial pain and bleeding.

It is a severe condition when a fertilised egg implants itself outside the womb, usually inside a fallopian tube which, after six or so weeks, can rupture causing severe internal bleeding.''

''But it appeared the woman lived on society’s peripheries, a transient, likely a sex worker, who would hitch along the M1 and M6 between London and the north of England.''

''Crimewatch

Five years after her body was discovered, DCI Peter Spitals went on Crimewatch to say the Medway College of Design identified her dress as homemade from furniture fabric.

He described the garment as being “altered on at least two occasions” and the woman likely living “a very poor existence.”

He urged the dressmaker to come forward before re-publishing an artist’s impression of the woman’s face.

Jill Dando in February 1999, just two months before she was gunned down on her doorstep in London, helped to renew the appeal.

The presenter revealed how the dressmaker contacted Crimewatch following the 1984 appeal.

But the viewer, from Stratford-upon-Avon, “had given it to a charity shop in Evesham in Worcestershire,” leading to a dead-end in the inquiry.'

rbbm
https:///wiki/Bedgebury_Forest_Woman
1678726957790.png

Discovered​

23 October, 1979

Unidentified for​

43 years

Sex​

Female

Location​

Kent, England

Age​

30-35

Race​

White

Height​

5'1 - 5'11

Body condition​

Recognizable face

Postmortem interval​

Days

Cause of death​

Beating
"Bedgebury Forest Woman" was the nickname given to a woman found murdered in 1979. A man was charged with her murder, but he was later cleared in connection to her death.

In late 2019, the victim was announced to have been identified by the Doe Network, but this appears to have been done in error.''

Case​

Detectives believe she had no fixed address and was a regular hitchhiker, possibly coming from the north of England. It was also thought she might have been a prostitute operating from the Spitalfields area of central London.

Characteristics​

• Straight, shoulder-length, dark brown hair.
  • Brown eyes.
  • A thin build, although her exact weight is unspecified.
  • Stretch marks on her stomach, indicating that she had likely given birth.
  • Prominent teeth.
  • She had previously had an ectopic pregnancy.

1678727101242.png

Black shoes.
Black and white floral dress.
Black polo neck sweater.
Yellow blouse.

2021 rbbm
''David Fuller, 67, plead guilty to murdering two women 34 years ago on Thursday and now it can be revealed Kent Police are investigating two unsolved murders near his home in Tunbridge Wells, Kent.''

''Sources believe Fuller’s hallmarks are on two murders near his home in Tunbridge Wells, Kent.
Both victims were found dead in Bedgebury Pinetum, a forest.
The first victim was killed in October 1979. Her head was so badly beaten with a wooden stake that officers still don’t know who she is.
Investigations suggested she may have been an Eastern European hitchhiker in her 30s. No possessions were ever discovered. ]''
1678727460939.png

Me neither, it's rare we have unidentified bodies found in the UK. It must have been very frustrating for the police.
It looks like this lady lived on the fringes of society, no dental work if I recall rightly, they think she was poor.
I'm sure they've withheld info too and the murderer may not even be living now.
@dotr Thank you for starting this thread & raising awareness for this murder victim. Living in the UK, I’m surprised I’ve not heard about this case before now!

Last edited:
David Fuller (Bedsit murders) could be a suspect here. Tobin could be a suspect too IMO.
I seem to recall they think she may have been er, can't think of a nicer way put things, servicing lorry drivers so there is that too.

Btw this is partly thanks to you as I noticed this case on the link you posted a few days ago of chronological unsolved murders. I'm too much of a novice and coward to post threads right now. Very kind of Dotr who's good at putting threads together and has my gratitude.

Very lengthy article, rbbm.
November 2022 by Sean Axtell
View attachment 408850

'In October 1979 a woman's body was found in a forest in Kent and although her death sparked a murder hunt, no-one ever came forward to say who she was.

Reporter Sean Axtell looks back at the case which also never saw anyone convicted of killing the un-named woman who was aged between 30 and 35.'

''She was found with devastating head wounds in woodlands - she had been suffering an agonising ectopic pregnancy at the time of her death.

It was 1979 when a horse rider discovered her remains under bracken, years before DNA profiling was introduced to the UK.''

Standing 5ft 1in, slight and aged little over 30, she would become known as the Bedgebury Forest Woman, in one of Kent’s most puzzling criminal cases.''

''Her injuries, particularly around the neck and face, made her almost impossible to identify until huge scientific advancements were rolled out years later.''
She did however have brown eyes, naturally straight dark hair and was dressed in black shoes, a black polo jumper and yellow blouse underneath the dress, which had been modified to fit her small frame.

No easily identifying features, like a handbag, were discovered with her body, which was believed to have been in the thicket for around six days.

And laying just feet from her remains was the suspected murder weapon - a blood stained wooden stake.''

''An autopsy revealed her teeth, though badly decayed, placed her around 30-years-old.

And her lungs, clear from signs of smoking or pollution, suggested she lived in a rural area.''

''Stretch marks on the woman’s stomach indicated she could very well have a child alive in the world.

But perhaps the most sorrowful discovery of all was that she was suffering an ectopic pregnancy, having likely conceived six weeks before her death, causing substantial pain and bleeding.

It is a severe condition when a fertilised egg implants itself outside the womb, usually inside a fallopian tube which, after six or so weeks, can rupture causing severe internal bleeding.''

''But it appeared the woman lived on society’s peripheries, a transient, likely a sex worker, who would hitch along the M1 and M6 between London and the north of England.''

''Crimewatch

Five years after her body was discovered, DCI Peter Spitals went on Crimewatch to say the Medway College of Design identified her dress as homemade from furniture fabric.

He described the garment as being “altered on at least two occasions” and the woman likely living “a very poor existence.”

He urged the dressmaker to come forward before re-publishing an artist’s impression of the woman’s face.

Jill Dando in February 1999, just two months before she was gunned down on her doorstep in London, helped to renew the appeal.

The presenter revealed how the dressmaker contacted Crimewatch following the 1984 appeal.

But the viewer, from Stratford-upon-Avon, “had given it to a charity shop in Evesham in Worcestershire,” leading to a dead-end in the inquiry.'
Thank you so much, you've been busy putting all this together, will have a read through.
Funny they said she had dark, straight hair and the sketch is a bit misleading since it makes her look blonde.

rbbm
View attachment 408851

Discovered​

23 October, 1979

Unidentified for​

43 years

Sex​

Female

Location​

Kent, England

Age​

30-35

Race​

White

Height​

5'1 - 5'11

Body condition​

Recognizable face

Postmortem interval​

Days

Cause of death​

Beating
"Bedgebury Forest Woman" was the nickname given to a woman found murdered in 1979. A man was charged with her murder, but he was later cleared in connection to her death.

In late 2019, the victim was announced to have been identified by the Doe Network, but this appears to have been done in error.''

Case​

Detectives believe she had no fixed address and was a regular hitchhiker, possibly coming from the north of England. It was also thought she might have been a prostitute operating from the Spitalfields area of central London.

Characteristics​

• Brown eyes.
  • Prominent teeth.

View attachment 408852

Black shoes.
Black polo neck sweater.
Yellow blouse.
Am I reading that right? 5 ft 1" to 5 ft 11"...that's quite a wide range! I'm sure they said she was short as well as very petite, so that's odd.

Thank you so much, you've been busy putting all this together, will have a read through.
Funny they said she had dark, straight hair and the sketch is a bit misleading since it makes her look blonde.
Am I reading that right? 5 ft 1" to 5 ft 11"...that's quite a wide range! I'm sure they said she was short as well as very petite, so that's odd.
I had these exact two questions myself. I think the 5'1 to 5'11 must be a mistake on Doe Network's part because the Kent Online article said she was 5'1, and that's definitely petite. I can't think of any explanation for the hair color because that sketch does make her look very blonde.

I had these exact two questions myself. I think the 5'1 to 5'11 must be a mistake on Doe Network's part because the Kent Online article said she was 5'1, and that's definitely petite. I can't think of any explanation for the hair color because that sketch does make her look very blonde.
Yes I think you're right about it being a mistake, 5ft 1 looks like being the right height from what I read before, I have not retained the info so well.
I also recall that her dress was altered to fit her small frame, she must have stayed somewhere long enough to do that.
If they had her DNA they could probably get a better idea of where she'd lived, if she'd come from another country, which would be one explanation for her not being known here in police appeals. Another may be she had a broken or mainly deceased family, brought up by grandparents / grandparent, care home or abusive home.
The sketch and description were circulated widely.

Crimewatch December 1984 police appeal for information. The following month's programme, Jan 1985, had the brief follow up that the maker of the dress had contacted the police, but they were still appealing for people who had altered it.
The length was altered, a zip removed, some darts added in the bust region (I thought I recalled something was added around the neck in a previous press release). They say they believe it was altered on at least 2 occasions.

This is not a random video it's LI, British Police based facts and information as well as an appeal for info from them.

rbbm
View attachment 408851

Discovered​

23 October, 1979

Unidentified for​

43 years

Sex​

Female

Location​

Kent, England

Age​

30-35

Race​

White

Height​

5'1 - 5'11

Body condition​

Recognizable face

Postmortem interval​

Days

Cause of death​

Beating

Case​

Characteristics​

• Brown eyes.
  • Prominent teeth.

View attachment 408852

Black shoes.
Black polo neck sweater.
Yellow blouse.
It doesn't seem that the dress is the style that would be worn by a sex worker.

Crimewatch December 1984 police appeal for information. The following month's programme, Jan 1985, had the brief follow up that the maker of the dress had contacted the police, but they were still appealing for people who had altered it.
The length was altered, a zip removed, some darts added in the bust region (I thought I recalled something was added around the neck in a previous press release). They say they believe it was altered on at least 2 occasions.

This is not a random video it's LI, British Police based facts and information as well as an appeal for info from them.

Thanks for the video, the bit about the UID female starts approx. @23:10 "The most difficult we have asked your help with".

Also handy is the opening case in the CW video, concerning the woman artist from the US who moved to Bristol where she was found murdered in the woods. Will post on her thread..

Harry Pennells was found not guilty of her murder, however specks of her blood were found in his lorry.
Lengthy article.
By Andy RobinsonSenior Reporter Paige FreshwaterDigital Content Writer
  • 24 JAN 2021 rbbm
''On October 23, 1979, a horse rider entered Bedgebury Forest, in Kent, to discover a woman’s decomposing body in the woodland.

The body was completely unidentifiable and hidden within the undergrowth of the woodland in the Weald near Goudhurst.

An extensive murder inquiry was launched but it had no success in identifying the woman or solving the mystery behind her untimely death.''

''Despite being found on October 23, officers believe the body found next to the footpath had been there for as many as five days before being found,, reports KentLive.
Her body was visible from the trail and no great attempts to conceal the corpse had been made.''

''Just three months after the case was reopened, a suspect was arrested after the discovery of DNA evidence.

Harry Pennells, 75, a retired lorry driver of Springfields in Ticehurst, East Sussex, was arrested and charged with murder in January 1999.''

''Beginning in May 2000, David Fisher QC, prosecuting, alleged that Pennells, who was 54 at the time, picked the victim up at Spitalfields Market in London on October 19.

He was then accused of driving her to Yorkshire before returning back down south and taking the woman into the forest to kill her and dump her body.''

''A jury found Pennells not guilty after just an hour-and-a-quarter of deliberations.

On walking free from court following the four-week trial, Pennells had nothing to say to the media.

But his solicitor Graham Reed said in a statement: "He has maintained his innocence throughout and given his full co-operation during police investigations and he has given evidence during the trial.'
'

It doesn't seem that the dress is the style that would be worn by a sex worker.
They believe she was very poor, quite possibly homeless.

At the time of her death she had been bleeding for some time and in considerable pain from an ectopic pregnancy, it seems doubtful she was sleeping with anyone.

I am looking at an October 1980 newspaper which I'll post about in which the police are revisiting her case because they think she may have been working on a local farm.

The postmortem stated she was a country girl and farms take on casual / seasonal workers all the time, maybe that's even how she came to the UK if she was Eastern European as it was suspected she might be.

Last edited:
Harry Pennells was found not guilty of her murder, however specks of her blood were found in his lorry.
Edited after reading article.

The deceased woman had been bleeding for days due to an ectopic pregnancy, so it's likely anywhere she sat or lay down would have traces of her blood. The link Dotr posted says spots of blood and some in his sleeping bag. Had he given her a lift then she would leave traces. It doesn't prove he did anything to her.

I do wonder whether her pregnancy may have had something to do with her death though, maybe she refused to have sex or someone didn't like she was bleeding, who knows?!

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back