UK UK - Billie-Jo Jenkins, 13, Hastings, Sussex, 15 Feb 1997

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
COLD case cops probing the murder of teenager Billie-Jo Jenkins are carrying out a fresh trawl of the evidence in hope of a break-through.

The 13-year-old was bludgeoned to death with a 18-inch metal tent peg in the garden of her new home on February 15, 1997.

[...]

Earlier this year, Sussex Police announced a forensic review to find out if scientific advances can provide new evidence, 25 years after the horror.

And tests are continuing almost six months on, the force told The Sun.

A spokesperson said Billie-Jo's murder will be revisited after every two years to see if the killer can ever be snared.

"Currently no new information has been provided in this case and it is not being re-investigated," he said.

"However, as part of the regular assessment process, we have been carrying out a forensic review of material held on the case in order to establish whether or not scientific advances can provide new evidence or lines of enquiry."

[...]

Great news! Thanks for sharing

Jan 2022
''Billie-Jo’s foster father Sion Jenkins was cleared of murdering the Helenswood School pupil after spending six years in jail. A post on the website, Justice for Sion Jenkins, last year said the “story of Billie-Jo can’t have a happy ending but it should have a truthful one.” It called for Sussex Police to reopen the case and “show the moral courage to own its past, and the honesty to admit that serious mistakes were made in 1997.”

It added: “Today, information travels faster than ever before and remembering past events becomes harder with the passing of time. Yet today, lots of people still remember the sad story of Billie-Jo and its unfinished ending. They ask why there’s been no justice for her. Who killed Billie-Jo? Someone knows the answer and it’s time to tell the truth.”

1671058603846.png

1671058650656.png
Billie-Jo was battered over the head at least 10 times with an 18-inch iron tent peg as she painted patio doors.

''Documentary examining the unsolved case of 13-year-old Billie-Jo Jenkins, who was murdered on the patio of her seaside home in 1997. Sion Jenkins, Billie-Jo's foster dad, was initially convicted of the murder but was acquitted on appeal.''

Who Killed Billie-Jo (2022)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18082210/mediaviewer/rm266339073/?ref_=tt_ov_i

• Maria Astardjieva Daniel Nuttman 13 Mar 2023
  • Who was Billie-Jo Jenkins and what happened to her?

''Siôn - father to Annie, 12 at the time of the murder, Lottie, 10, Esther, nine, and Maya, seven - has always maintained his innocence and claims a prowler could have been responsible for the murder.

During the investigation, police discovered 148 tiny spots of Billie-Jo's blood on Siôn's trousers and fleece jacket.

The prosecution argued that their size and distribution were consistent with "impact spatter", sprayed during the frenzied attack on Billie-Jo.

But the defence argued that a fine spray of blood was breathed out by Billie-Jo on her foster dad when he went to her aid as she lay dying.

Siôn spent six years in jail following his sentence.

In the two retrials following, the jury was unable to reach a verdict, and Siôn was formally acquitted in 2006.

Sussex Police have since maintained that there are no plans to reopen the murder investigation.
    It was reported that the police were continuing to appeal for information that could help the enquiry.''
''A spokesperson said in 2022 that Billie-Jo's murder will be revisited after every two years to see if the killer can ever be snared.
The documentary Who Killed Billie-Jo? originally aired on February 10, 2022, on Channel 5, and is still available to watch on demand.''

Sion Jenkins is a very lucky man. I think he did commit the murder, and somehow the evidence against him just wasn't thorough enough. From all accounts he had a difficlut relationship with Billie and his personality which is easy to glean from various interview is of a control freak, regimented man. She probably pushed his buttons, and he lost his temper. His ridicoulous trip to the DIY store (without his wallet), sitting in his car whilst waiting for the police after finding the body, and the story about the murderer posing as a plain clothes policeman consoling him. His wife didn't stand by him, which i think speaks volumes.
He probably cleaned up after the murder, perhaps got rid of blood covered clothing at some point too.

Were there other attacks in Hastings around the time of Billie Joe's murder?

Possible re-posts, fwiw..
rbbm
''Graham Fisher, 37, admitted the manslaughter of reclusive Clare Letchford, 40, and 75-year-old widow Beryl O'Connor on the grounds of diminished responsibility.
The two vulnerable women were discovered strangled and burned in their flats less than 100 yards apart in Hastings, East Sussex, in January 1998.
At Lewes Crown Court, Fisher was given the indeterminate prison sentence after he admitted attempting to murder and trying to rape a student on a train in the same month as the killings.
Fisher also pleaded guilty to two counts of rape of another vulnerable woman in her early 40s at her home in Bromley, south east London, in 1991.''

15 Jun 2005
''A mentally ill man with a fetish for plastic bags was seen near the house in Hastings, East Sussex, where Billie-Jo Jenkins was bludgeoned to death with a tent peg
, a court heard yesterday.
The 13-year-old was killed as she painted the patio doors at the back of the family home in February 1997. A neighbour who tended to her after the attack found part of a black plastic binbag stuffed deep inside one of her nostrils.
The trial of Billie-Jo's foster father, Siôn Jenkins, for her murder yesterday heard evidence from defence witnesses who said they saw the man, referred to in court as Mr B, in the area on the day she was killed. Mr Jenkins's defence alleges that the man, who is believed to have had paranoid schizophrenia could have murdered Billie-Jo when the former deputy headteacher left the house with his two elder daughters to buy white spirit.'

''Two officers described seeing him holding part of a blue plastic bag up to his nose as he lay on the bench in the police cell in a "foetal position". They later found two more pieces of plastic in his underpants during a strip search.''

15 Jun 2005
''A mentally ill man with a fetish for plastic bags was seen near the house in Hastings, East Sussex, where Billie-Jo Jenkins was bludgeoned to death with a tent peg
, a court heard yesterday.
That's awfully specific. Not surprising the story came from Jenkins' defense team.

I have been reading some more on this case. One of the things that interests me is Sion's natural daughter claiming the gate was closed when they left for the DIY store and that it was open when they returned. It is said that she said this to the neighbour who was at the scene of Billie-Jo's death. I would be interested to know if the neighbour confirmed this and whether the daughter made this comment before having chance to speak with Sion.

I also wonder about the reports of a prowler and the numerous reports of the children feeling unsafe. A creep attacking Billy in a targeted attack after becoming fixated with her would be something I'd believe possible. Who was hanging around the park and who was making the family dog bark of an evening through the window?

The house next to the Jenkins' is of interest to me. I note from photographs that it had boarded windows and was used as a hostel for troubled people. Reports suggest that the Jenkins' garden was not entirely secure, being used by trespassers as a shortcut from the road behind. I am almost certain it would have been easily accessible from the adjacent hostel garden.

I would be interested to hear from neighbours, details of the supposed prowler and if the behaviour stopped after Billie-Jo's death. Was it just the Jenkins' house that was targeted? Or, were others the victim of the prowling?

The day of the attack seems very chaotic for the whole family. Lois forgot her check book at Sainsbury's and then an empty checkbook was brought. There was the forgetting of the clarinet lesson at Nicola Holt's house and then the white spirit shopping trip, where it's alleged that Sion went with no money.

A Word Press article claims that fragments of Billie-Jo's skull and brain tissue were exposed at the scene. It claims that the 999 call handler instructed Sion to move Billie-Jo's body in to a recovery position. The neighbour is said to have tried to stem the blood flow with a bin liner. Were her clothes examined for particles, just as Sion's were? They were at the scene before paramedics and when blood flow could have been at a different level.

What strikes me is that the weapon involved was a tent peg. I feel that it must have taken great force to do the level of damage done with such an instrument. It is fairly lightweight, compared to other weapons and there is potential for a struggle to take place. Would the attacker come away from the event with only microscopic traces of blood? I find it difficult to believe.

I have been reading some more on this case. One of the things that interests me is Sion's natural daughter claiming the gate was closed when they left for the DIY store and that it was open when they returned. It is said that she said this to the neighbour who was at the scene of Billie-Jo's death. I would be interested to know if the neighbour confirmed this and whether the daughter made this comment before having chance to speak with Sion.

I also wonder about the reports of a prowler and the numerous reports of the children feeling unsafe. A creep attacking Billy in a targeted attack after becoming fixated with her would be something I'd believe possible. Who was hanging around the park and who was making the family dog bark of an evening through the window?

The house next to the Jenkins' is of interest to me. I note from photographs that it had boarded windows and was used as a hostel for troubled people. Reports suggest that the Jenkins' garden was not entirely secure, being used by trespassers as a shortcut from the road behind. I am almost certain it would have been easily accessible from the adjacent hostel garden.

I would be interested to hear from neighbours, details of the supposed prowler and if the behaviour stopped after Billie-Jo's death. Was it just the Jenkins' house that was targeted? Or, were others the victim of the prowling?

The day of the attack seems very chaotic for the whole family. Lois forgot her check book at Sainsbury's and then an empty checkbook was brought. There was the forgetting of the clarinet lesson at Nicola Holt's house and then the white spirit shopping trip, where it's alleged that Sion went with no money.

A Word Press article claims that fragments of Billie-Jo's skull and brain tissue were exposed at the scene. It claims that the 999 call handler instructed Sion to move Billie-Jo's body in to a recovery position. The neighbour is said to have tried to stem the blood flow with a bin liner. Were her clothes examined for particles, just as Sion's were? They were at the scene before paramedics and when blood flow could have been at a different level.

What strikes me is that the weapon involved was a tent peg. I feel that it must have taken great force to do the level of damage done with such an instrument. It is fairly lightweight, compared to other weapons and there is potential for a struggle to take place. Would the attacker come away from the event with only microscopic traces of blood? I find it difficult to believe.
The tent peg used for the attack was pretty sizeable

Attachments

• 6621D12B-8842-413B-98D4-E85C67CE7FC8.png
    6621D12B-8842-413B-98D4-E85C67CE7FC8.png
    552.4 KB · Views: 13
It's very telling for me that Sion Jenkins goes and sits in his car. That looks like he's trying to create plausible deniability for potential forensic evidence in the vehicle.
It's such a small window of opportunity.
Katerina Koneva is perhaps the most similar murder. Her dad arrived home as she was being attacked and then chased the killer, who turned out to be suspected serial killer Andrzej Kunowski.
The difference between the Jenkins and Koneva crime scenes is that in the Koneva case, the real killer left hair and fingerprint evidence behind.
It's difficult to believe that an opportunist killer wouldn't leave a fingerprint or any DNA when killing Billie Jo. He also doesn't seem to have ever struck again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back