UK UK- Caroline Harris-Reed, 22, student teacher, sexually assaulted & fatally stabbed @ friend's flat, Stockwell, South London, 22 Apr 1981 *SKETCH*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Last edited:
www.thetimes.co.uk
''Student-teacher Caroline Harris-Reed was murdered in the flat she was sharing with a 22-year-old nurse. Police issued an artist's impression of the perpetrator, who forced his way into the property before holding the two young women at knifepoint and stabbing Miss Harris-Reed (who was also 22) to death.[23]''
Thank you, I had meant to write that the Wikipedia entry source was The Times. 21 April 1981, I forgot. Also that the victims of that crime deserved their own thread, not just the murder victim, but the lady who survived and must have suffered terribly psychologically after going through that experience.

Screenshot_20230225-133634_Chrome.jpg20230225_125414.jpg
Two images of Caroline as would have been requested of the family in the police investigation and not the property of the press therefore.

Two photofit / identikit, artist's impression of the killer, with the less artistic one coming from Scotland Yard. These were made by and distributed by the police and therefore not the property of the press and like Caroline's photos above should not be copywritten by press.

The Daily Telegraph​

London, Greater London, England · Tuesday, April 21, 1981

Reproducing identikit made by and provided by the police to catch the perp and therefore not belonging to Daily Telegraph. The description given of the killer is that he had hamster like cheeks, light brown hair / mousey hair, a pronounced belly hanging over his trousers, 25 - 30 (most press releases state he is in his 20s however), nose misshapen, left nostril noticeably smaller, 5ft 6". Wore dark trousers (grey), white t shirt, oatmeal / pale tweed jacket with rounded lapels and no flaps on pockets.

The friends had been expecting a third friend to show up, a male, when the flat buzzer went they thought it was him, when speaking on the intercom the man's only reply was "hello" and he was buzzed in (most press releases state the intercom didn't work and he was buzzed in for that reason since another friend was expected for a get together). According to this press release the police felt he may have been a peeping tom.

Until I can be more thorough bringing over info, links and more information on posts #10,#11,#12 & #14 on the below thread (not that the two crimes are linked though that was under examination for the possibility)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230225-124315_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230225-124315_Chrome.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230225-120523_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230225-120523_Chrome.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 4

Bucks Examiner
November 5, 1982

Frank Harvey admitted to indecently assaulting 18 year old Amanda Marshall while she was out with her dog. This was November 12, close to South Lambeth Road where FH lived in Selway House and where Caroline was murdered.
The judge had placed a contempt if court order which had stopped the court outcome being released to the public.
Due to FH already being in custody 10mths and the max sentence being 2yrs he was ordered to be released as due to good behaviour his sentence would have been reduced & 10mths equivalent to a year, he had served his time.
FH defence Michael Hill stated that it was due to his arrest for this matter that he was then arrested for the murder.
FH was found not guilty of the retrial a month before this article.
While in prison FH stayed in voluntary solitary confinement.
FH planned to marry his gf and move away.

I haven't found any photos of FH, but considering there was a clear description, including the deformity of his nose and the woman who spent 2 hours in his company made a very confident identification of him, plus the chances of someone matching that description, including the nose deformity, living nearby and indecently assaulting another person, I think it was him, FH, IMO

I don't understand where forensics were, he didn't have sex with either captive so no semen, but what about fingerprints?

Try a reverse image search for these photo fits
People can look very different in 40 odd years and he'd be if a generation less likely to be in fb. Although we kind of know who it's likely to have been, I believe the witness.

Beverley Trendall was stabbed to death in October 1984 (Northolt).

Started thread..

www.thetimes.co.uk
''Student-teacher Caroline Harris-Reed was murdered in the flat she was sharing with a 22-year-old nurse. Police issued an artist's impression of the perpetrator, who forced his way into the property before holding the two young women at knifepoint and stabbing Miss Harris-Reed (who was also 22) to death.[23]''
Here is an image of the citation ("Face of killer". The Times. 21 April 1981. p. 2. Retrieved 26 September 2020.)

The_Times_1981-04-21.jpg

The Times, April 21, 1981
Page 2 of 10 in this edition

Face of killer
: Scotland Yard yesterday issued this artist's impression of the killer of a student teacher in south London earlier this month. Miss Catherine Osborne, aged 22, the nurse held at knife-point with Miss Caroline Harris-Reed, the dead girl, described the wanted man's distinctive face to the police.

Here is an image of the citation ("Face of killer". The Times. 21 April 1981. p. 2. Retrieved 26 September 2020.)

View attachment 405678

Face of killer
: Scotland Yard yesterday issued this artist's impression of the killer of a student teacher in south London earlier this month. Miss Catherine Osborne, aged 22, the nurse held at knife-point with Miss Caroline Harris-Reed, the dead girl, described the wanted man's distinctive face to the police.
Welcome to Ws @HermitDetective, thank you for jumping right in!

View attachment 405678

Face of killer
Thank you, glad you have a Times subscription, I have one for Newspapers.com and the BNA and yet still there are many major national publications absent. See post #3 for another photofit of the man, one that sadly misses any sign of the hamster cheeks in the description. I believe they had less choice of features to place in those type of photofit/identikits. The sketch /artist's impression style for me seems much more like the description.
Are you trying to connect to this case for which it is likely to be the man who lived on the same street or to the other thread, where we're looking at Eve Stratford and Lynne Weedon, where the assailant is completely unknown?

Thank you, glad you have a Times subscription, I have one for Newspapers.com and the BNA and yet still there are many major national publications absent. See post #3 for another photofit of the man, one that sadly misses any sign of the hamster cheeks in the description. I believe they had less choice of features to place in those type of photofit/identikits. The sketch /artist's impression style for me seems much more like the description.

Are you trying to connect to this case for which it is likely to be the man who lived on the same street or to the other thread, where we're looking at Eve Stratford and Lynne Weedon, where the assailant is completely unknown?
Both. Beverley was seen in a pub with a strange man before she died.

Both. Beverley was seen in a pub with a strange man before she died.
She was seen with two men and a woman and nobody knows who they were. One may have been the new boyfriend that she had talked about to her work colleague, the circumstances don't match anyone we've discussed. Whoever it was obviously took her diary so they wouldn't be known.
The man who lived on the same street as Catherine, Caroline's friend was absolutely who she believed was the person who held her captive and killed Caroline, who sexually assaulted another lady nearby, there was never any sign of him committing offences elsewhere, or anything to connect what's described as a very unattractive man to the very attractive man connected to Beverley.
The man with Beverley I feel didn't want to be known and that makes me think he may have been married and Beverley was a fling he wanted hidden or he was doing something criminal and he wanted to stay under the radar. Some people enter a relationship with thd purpose of conning that person or draining them dry, Beverley would be a poor choice for that, but it would depend how desperate the person was to live off someone else. One other thing, the type of man who commits domestic abuse can be very volatile when triggered.
I saw nobody in any of the other cases with a dodgy and mysterious, handsome boyfriend or followed by a handsome man.
I see no connection. Stabbing is not necessarily a linking factor, Lynne Weedon and Eve Stratford who have no connection to this thread really or to Beverley, the main actions taken were clubbing in Lynne's case and slitting the throat in Eve's case. I don't think looking at all stabbing cases is necessarily helpful, with Elizabeth Parravicini she was very much treated like Lynne, close to where Lynne was killed, within a few years, clubbed to the back of the head and dragged off. Sally Shepherd, clubbed and dragged off, beaten to death. Stabbing doesn't seem a major thing in the cases that seem to have similarities to or definately be the unknown murderer of Eve and Lynne. I won't discuss those cases more in this thread as I see no connection and seems to drag attention away from Caroline and her murderer.

Only 22, so unfair, wondering how old the perp is now and if he is walking the streets today?
Hoping DNA can be used to find her killer, but a new article or documentary would be nice, imo.
April 1981Caroline Harris-ReedStockwell, LondonStudent-teacher Harris-Reed was murdered in the flat she was sharing with a 22-year-old nurse. Police issued an artist's impression of the perpetrator, who forced his way into the property before holding the two young women at knifepoint and stabbing Harris-Reed (who was also 22) to death.[28]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justicefornicky
Back