UK - (Christopher Halliwell) Rebecca Godden-Edwards, 21, Swindon, 27 Dec 2002

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Andrew Plant ‏@BeebJournalist 5m5 minutes ago

Pros: but that's what you told police. Was it a lucky guess? How did you know she was buried parallel to the road. Another lucky guess?

What happened to her head?

CH: I don't know.

Pros: you went back to check because you worried she wasn't deep enough. You worried that parts of her would rise up to the surface didn't you?

CH: no I thought she was 5 feet down.

Judge: why did you think 5ft?

CH: I was a ground worker. Assuming two people digging, they should be able to dig a grave 5 feet deep, 3 feet wide, 6 feet long

Pros: did you go back and take the head?

CH: no I didn't.

Pros: after Oxo Bottom field you saw a doctor to check you were fit to be interviewed by police. That doctor says you confessed to 2 murders

CH: I couldn't care less what the witnesses say. Couldn't care less.

Judge: Mr Halliwell, when the doctor asked why you were at the police station, you replied, 'I've killed two people.' Is that right?

CH: no, I said 'apparently I've killed 2 people.'

Halliwell: "I was dropping (Fulcher) in it, I know he should have cautioned me".

Judge asking if Halliwell gave "false admissions to get Fulcher in trouble" because he hadn't cautioned him.

@LisaSkyNews

Quick Poll:

Thumbs up if you think he didn't kill her and the drug dealers story is true

Hmm, I think he's guilty as hell but not sure if enough legally to prove beyond reasonable doubt. I know a "smoking gun" isn't always required but not sure if there's enough to show CH as an out & out liar and therefore that his "truth" is improbable.

Agree. I think it's all lies on his part but the story is, in some ways, plausible. Particularly the part about the guy who got in his taxi a few years later and was out of his head and mentioned having killed and buried a prostitute.

this is the bit I was referring to

He told the jury that on the last occasion he had any contact with the men, the front seat passenger was on his own and "stoned" on drugs.

"I never made inquiries with him about what happened at Oxo Bottom Field but he volunteered the information that when they went out there they had buried a prostitute from Swindon," he said.

"I thought he was messing about. It was right up to March 26 or 27 2011, I always wondered if he was ************ing because I never asked any questions. I thought he was messing about. He said it like it was nothing. It didn't seem to bother him."

http://www.irishnews.com/news/uknew...he-stand-in-becky-godden-murder-trial-695474/

Twitter
@LisaSkyNews

Prosecution putting 3 scenarios to Halliwell.

First is Halliwell was an "innocent taxi driver" who took 2 drug dealers to a field...& "knew nothing about it until 3 months later".

Prosecution says 2nd scenario is that Halliwell knew "very well" the dealers had Rebecca's body- he'd be guilty of concealment of a body.

Prosecution- 3rd scenario was Halliwell Murdered her, buried her body- for which he'd get a life sentence.

Halliwell: "but I'm doing a life sentence anyway".

Hmm, I think he's guilty as hell but not sure if enough legally to prove beyond reasonable doubt. I know a "smoking gun" isn't always required but not sure if there's enough to show CH as an out & out liar and therefore that his "truth" is improbable.

Agree. I think it's all lies on his part but the story is, in some ways, plausible. Particularly the part about the guy who got in his taxi a few years later and was out of his head and mentioned having killed and buried a prostitute.

I'd have no hesitation in finding him guilty. None whatsoever.

Parts of his story are just plausible - he's had several years to concoct it. But as a whole it does not hang together and I don't find it remotely convincing.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's murdered some other women.

Cags, I do think he's guilty as charged. I do find some parts of the story plausible - but then again, as Cherwell has said,he has had several years to perfect it.

I'd have no hesitation in finding him guilty. None whatsoever.

Parts of his story are just plausible - he's had several years to concoct it. But as a whole it does not hang together and I don't find it remotely convincing.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's murdered some other women.

I quite agree Cherwell. I don't believe a word he says. I wouldn't be surprised if he had murdered other women either. He is a very twisted, sick individual.

I admire the witnesses having to answer questions to him in court, it must have been an ordeal for all of them particularly Mr Fulcher.

He's even still lying about the murder he was convicted of. I don't know how much more it takes to prove he's an out and out liar.
Anyway, if he goes down for this he'll never be released from prison, and that in my opinion is an outcome that could not be more welcome.

I hope no members of the jury will think "beyond reasonable doubt" means "beyond any doubt".

I hope no members of the jury will think "beyond reasonable doubt" means "beyond any doubt".

That is something I always worry about with trials ! but the Jury usually come through in the end, so have to have faith they will do so this time.

Meant to add....... yes, I would not be at all surprised if he has killed more than we know about.

Andrew Plant ‏@BeebJournalist 7m7 minutes ago

Prosecution sits down. Judge asks CH if that is the end of his case. He says yes I think so.

Many thanks for the updates, Alyce!

So, we may get closing arguments tomorrow, verdict early next week?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadyBeast
Back