UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon & Newborn (found deceased), Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023 #2 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no. I can't say I am surprised, though I still hold probably futile hope that this is to up the pressure or bring people who might have the baby forward. Rather than because they found a little body, or concrete evidence suggesting the baby is no longer alive.

I’m trying not to have opinions on CM+MG because I’m not a parent but when that chap said “manslaughter,” my heart dropped. Obviously we don’t know the backstory here… I just hope they find the poor soul so they can be put to rest.

This is just so so sad.

When was the baby actually last seen? The CCTV of the pushchair shows a pushchair but there isn't a clear image of the baby. Has there ever been eyes on the baby?

IMO they might not have had the baby for a while..

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
Well that's not done without good reason. Whatever they were running from, I can't understand why they didn't get the child help when it must have been obvious it needed it. Brighton has a first-class children's A&E unit, it would have been safe and well looked after there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Couple arrested after being seen using cash machine​

Asked for more detail about how the member of the public reported seeing the couple, the detective says that "it was a diligent member of the public" who observed them using a cash machine and then entering a shop and called 999.

Six minutes later, police arrived.

Well that's not done without good reason. Whatever they were running from, I can't understand why they didn't get the child help when it must have been obvious it needed it. Brighton has a first-class children's A&E unit, it would have been safe and well looked after there.
The baby maybe didn't make it to Brighton. The poor wee thing possibly passed away a while ago. So needless.

No information on baby's gender yet​

Asked if the couple are "cooperating" and giving more information on the newborn, Det Supt Basford says there is still "no information" on the gender of the baby.

He wouldn't be drawn on a timeframe for finding the child, but does says that due to the cold, "we have to remain open to the fact this may not end the way we would want" as the impact of cold weather would have endangered the child.

However, he says police remain hopeful.

I’m trying not to have opinions on CM+MG because I’m not a parent but when that chap said “manslaughter,” my heart dropped. Obviously we don’t know the backstory here… I just hope they find the poor soul so they can be put to rest.
I think my opinions on these two would get me kicked off the site.

It may be this baby is with someone, safe and well and that person will eventually come forward. However I am not holding out hope. There does not appear to be any evidence that these two have reached out or received help from any outside parties. Or that they were ever willing to put the babies health, safety and welfare before their own desire to keep it from the hands of authorities who it seems, had very good reason to think they weren't safe parents.

Oh no. I can't say I am surprised, though I still hold probably futile hope that this is to up the pressure or bring people who might have the baby forward. Rather than because they found a little body, or concrete evidence suggesting the baby is no longer alive.
Yes, presumably they would put pressure on the couple on the grounds that if they could not give police evidence of the safety of the baby then manslaughter charges would be the natural next step.

Heartbreaking.

I am at a loss to understand how a mother, ostensibly keen to keep custody of her baby, could retain any kind of composure or ‘front’ in the face of questioning if she knew her baby to have died.

Couple had clearly been living outside when arrested - police​

Police are asked about the state and condition of the couple when they were arrested.

They say it was clear quite quickly that Constance Marten and Mark Gordon had spent a "considerable amount of time outdoors".

Pushed on whether camp equipment was found, police repeat that they're happy to confirm that the couple have been living in "vast outdoor" areas that can be found in Sussex.

Pure speculation:

they were running only from the scrutiny and judgment of others, which things can be negative but are often positive overall for society in small doses. They had a highly disordered relationship that is either coercive or a “folie a deux” style, and where in any case, the natural instinct to put one’s child first has failed in the case of both his or her parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow