GUILTY UK - Diane Stewart, 47, found dead, Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire, 25 June 2010 *arrest in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ZaZara, I did look at thread #10 and found a wonderfully furious rant by you on this subject at the end. I feel your tribute then to the Strimmer should also be revived!

The life coach / bereavement coach still makes me see red. How is it possible that she utterly lacks self awareness? Not one grain of those famous lessons learned or future warnings ... nothing.

If you do not have a clue, please stay out of the coaching business. Don't mess with people's lives. Simply admit that you were a friend of Helen's and not among the brightest of the pack.

... Should anyone be in need of a life coach, or a marriage counsellor, I recommend Mr Stuart Trimmer.

I've been reading parts of the Planet Grief blog lately, and IMO if it hadn't been IS, another predator would probably have taken advantage of Helen, if only financially.

The Strimmer is likely the best friend she never had.

I don't know if anyone could have stopped the murder of Diane, as far as I'm aware, no previous violence in the marriage, or suspicion of violence, was reported. Like IS skipped those stages because they would make him suspect, and jumped from verbal fights to murder. I guess no one saw it coming, I hate to think what this meant for Diane.

<snip>

I don't know if anyone could have stopped the murder of Diane, as far as I'm aware, no previous violence in the marriage, or suspicion of violence, was reported. Like IS skipped those stages because they would make him suspect, and jumped from verbal fights to murder. I guess no one saw it coming, I hate to think what this meant for Diane.

BBM

Ian Stewart is an absolute coward. He didn't have the balls to take these women on when they were in any way capable of fighting back. He drugged Helen (possible also Diane, though of course no proper PM so we will never know). Either way, he suffocated them when they were already incapacitated. He put something over their faces so he wouldn't see them die. He is a COWARD. I don't believe he ever showed any physical violence previously.

God knows, with Diane, how long it took for him to fester his plan to take everything for himself. I suspect it wasn't long. I think those last few weeks of her life they were arguing (as in son's testimony), and perhaps divorce was mentioned. Perhaps an ultimatum... shape up or ship out. Stewart was always motivated by money that was easy to come by (not worked hard for, by himself, anyway). He wouldn't have wanted to give up half of everything to Diane in a divorce. She'd have been able to take half of that precious pension he'd been living off, too, I imagine.

He got EXTREMELY lucky (legally) when Diane died and he was able to talk his way out of it. He obviously carried that sense of being smarter than police, doctors, coroner etc with him. This emboldened him to find a new partner in a wealthy widow and work his way up to taking her life, and money, too.

IS might well have been “in bits” when his youngest son arrived home in the middle of it all. It was probably him who told him that Diane had had a fit. No matter how callous IS is, he maybe didn’t intend for his youngest child to arrive with poor Diane still in the house and had imagined that it would all be over by then. He may have thought “Right, she’s definitely dead now, I’ll phone the ambulance and they’ll arrive and take her away.” Instead he had a prolonged period of pretending to be doing CPR to an emergency services phone responder who I think either had her suspicions about him or thought he was a total idiot. Then he had to deal with paramedics who were maybe a bit sceptical too and who didn’t “scoop and run”. Then his son arrives.

Can anyone explain how Diane took between 35 mins and 1 hour to die? Surely he didn’t have her in a neck hold for that length of time? And if it was a plastic bag, surely there wasn’t that amount of air in the bag? I can’t imagine how it could take that long to die? Unless the bag had an imperfect seal or something? Was he sitting there taking her pulse and periodically having “another go” at a neck lock? I find it very strange.

Can anyone explain how Diane took between 35 mins and 1 hour to die? Surely he didn’t have her in a neck hold for that length of time? And if it was a plastic bag, surely there wasn’t that amount of air in the bag? I can’t imagine how it could take that long to die? Unless the bag had an imperfect seal or something? Was he sitting there taking her pulse and periodically having “another go” at a neck lock? I find it very strange.

To me, paragraph 7 of the sentencing remarks suggests Diane was attacked but did not die during the course of such attack or at the end of it, but took longer to pass away. I am guessing Stewart fatally injured but did not outright kill Diane, perhaps thought he had killed her or that she could not survive such an injury, and then began his charade of attempting to help her, and she died sometime during that charade. https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/R-v-Stewart-Sentencing-Remarks.pdf

It is probably more disturbing that she did not die immediately and perhaps had some awareness of what was happening and/or that she was dying. Stewart is a truly loathsome specimen.

About the poor reporting: being somewhat obsessional I felt I had to send a correction in to The Times about their trial report of 9 February (it's behind a paywall but I have a cheap online-access deal, and I think you can get a couple of articles a week free on subscription) concerning their reporting of Oliver's witness statement:

'Please make a small but important correction to your article about the Ian Stewart trial.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/helen-baileys-killer-ian-stewart-convicted-of-murdering-his-first-wife-0vlldm8tj

"Their younger son, Oliver, who was 15 at the time, said he arrived home on the day of his mother’s death to find her having an epilectic (sic) fit and gave her “one last kiss” while his father was “in bits”.

But reports during the trial did not say Oliver said he found his mother having an epileptic fit. The Standard said:

"Oliver said someone from either the police or ambulance service told him his mother was dead.
Wiping tears from his eyes, he told the jury he identified her body.
“She had foam coming out of her mouth,” he said, adding his gave his mother “one last kiss”.
Asked by defence barrister Amjad Malik QC how his father was at that point, Oliver replied: “In bits.”
Oliver said he was given information from the pathologist about how his mother died at a later date."

This is important: comments below the line show some people inferred from your article that Oliver was in some way complicit, which he certainly was not. Even Ian Stewart didn’t say he found his wife actually having a fit.'

I felt I had to do this after seeing someone below the line ask something like 'Was the 15-year-old an accessory, then?' I recall we were all a bit puzzled during the reporting by the way his testimony sounded, to the extent that it had to be clarified that he was a witness for the prosecution. But it was made clear in the judge's sentencing remarks that he really did have to identify his mother's body formally for the police (which we couldn't believe) and that his descriptions of his father were how he perceived him at the time, further evidence of IS's capacity to deceive.

There's no change in the article so far, alas. The Times used to care about accuracy...

Thank you for doing this, I’d expect better from The Times. Diane & Stewart’s sons are victims too and blameless.

To me, paragraph 7 of the sentencing remarks suggests Diane was attacked but did not die during the course of such attack or at the end of it, but took longer to pass away. I am guessing Stewart fatally injured but did not outright kill Diane, perhaps thought he had killed her or that she could not survive such an injury, and then began his charade of attempting to help her, and she died sometime during that charade. https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/R-v-Stewart-Sentencing-Remarks.pdf

It is probably more disturbing that she did not die immediately and perhaps had some awareness of what was happening and/or that she was dying. Stewart is a truly loathsome specimen.

Also paragraph 11. It is as you say very disturbing.

Post trial interview with Professor Safa Al-Sarraj

........looked at her brain, he says it was clear something was not right.
“I think if it had not been kept and had been disposed of, nobody would have been able to find out what happened, but this was the only objective thing in the case where we had a platform to start looking at a different cause of death."

Al-Sarraj, 63, who works on about 100 criminal cases a year with the police, had never worked on anything like it: "This is very unusual. I cannot recall a case similar to this where it was solved after the brain was donated to medical science."

Examining her brain he discovered that the damage was likely to have occurred over a period of 35 minutes to an hour before death, meaning it was not consistent with a fatal epileptic fit, where people die much more suddenly.

He said: "Epilepsy can cause alterations in the heart rhythm so you expect the death to be quick.

“You don't expect the death to be later on. I remember saying to the police I don't think this is straightforward epilepsy.

“Then they told me that she hadn't had epilepsy for 18 years and I said: 'Well, this is now extremely unusual. I don't believe this is right.'"

Detective Superintendent Jerome Kent, of Hertfordshire police, who led the investigation in both cases, encouraged other officers to search for similar evidence.

He said: "I know no other case where police have gone back to recover material that has been left for medical research and subsequently found the evidence.

“I'd certainly be encouraging other police officers to think about samples that might have been taken by the coroner and during those initial pathology examinations and just seeing if they still exist.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/how-murder-victims-brain-helped-26219194

Just noting, again, how strange it was that this trial received such little coverage despite being so unusual in terms of how the evidence was obtained.

Thank you very much, Alyce.
I see that is taken from a Sunday Times article, behind a paywall (I think they have limited free article access too). Here's a link:
I looked at her brain tissue and knew she had been murdered | News | The Sunday Times
Regarding the failure to spot anomalies at the time of her death:

Al-Sarraj has sympathy for the pathologist who examined the brain initially, admitting epilepsy was the “perfect reason not to expect foul play”.

He said: “I don’t think I would criticise their practice. I think if somebody would have alerted them and said something is unusual they probably would have gone to the second level of examination. I was at an advantage having been alerted this is something unusual, then I have to put it in a different gear and look at it in a different way than my colleagues 12 years ago.”

Just noting, again, how strange it was that this trial received such little coverage despite being so unusual in terms of how the evidence was obtained.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Alyce.
I totally agree - very strange indeed! When you think of some of the rubbish that makes the news :rolleyes:

Revd Dr Donald McFadyen was the parish vicar in the village at the time and recalled comforting the family over their tragic loss, in the days before Stewart's crimes had come to light.

He said Mrs Stewart had been someone who "embodied sunshine" and her sudden death had been a "huge shock" to the community.

[...]

"I thought 'how on earth are his boys going to come to terms with the fact their father is a murderer?'" he said.

"Then in the days following I relived some of the memories of going into their house, and realising the whole thing was a sham."

Vicar 'sick' at memory of comforting double-murderer | ITV News

The 'master manipulator' who thought he had got away with murder - twice | ITV News

“But Mrs Stewart had already agreed to donate her organs - including her brain - to medical research.

"Ian Stewart had no option but to consent... though coroner's office records show that he requested nobody be informed of this," a CPS spokesman said.””

Ha. I’d have loved to see the investigators’ faces when they found out about this and then got the results. It’s great that he was undone by his wife’s generosity of heart.

Just saw that on my news feed …. So typical of him to cause further distress to Diane’s family

Absolutely typical, several people expected it and predicted it here.

IS is already 61 and got 34 years minimum for killing Helen Bailey in 2017. On my maths, he would be at least 90 if ever released, if he doesn't die first which based on the average lifespan for men in the UK, he very possibly will. But he's determined to put everyone through as much aggravation and hurt as possible rather than to accept an entirely appropriate sentence for two premeditated murders which were both (at least in part, especially Helen's, it seems) for monetary gain.

Absolutely typical, several people expected it and predicted it here.

IS is already 61 and got 34 years minimum for killing Helen Bailey in 2017. On my maths, he would be at least 90 if ever released, if he doesn't die first which based on the average lifespan for men in the UK, he very possibly will. But he's determined to put everyone through as much aggravation and hurt as possible rather than to accept an entirely appropriate sentence for two premeditated murders which were both (at least in part, especially Helen's, it seems) for monetary gain.
Yes, spot on...he is determined to do that. He must hate being forgotten and left to get on with his jail time and wants to have one last bit of control.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991
Back