GUILTY UK - Hashim Ijazuddin, 21, and Saqib Hussain, 20, car crash A46 Leicester 11 Feb 2022 *Murder Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Judge Timothy Spencer KC will now sum up the case and he said it would take "at least" the rest of this week. He warned the jury the atmosphere in the courtroom would be serious from now on.

He said: "As of now there is no room for any sort of levity in this case. We could not be engaged in a more serious exercise than a jury deciding upon the events that led to the deaths of two young men."

No Shania Twain quotes from this guy! This judge is a very serious man and this is a very serious matter.
Also, the timescale for deliberations is confusing. If they don't reach a verdict by the end of next week then we won't get a verdict until the start of August?!

I like the Judges summing up, there seems more details revealed which I can't remember being published previously such as;

Disturbances in the grime​

Sgt Coe would go onto to examine the cars involved in the collision, including the Seat Leon. This involved him looking closely at the front bumper of the Seat which he had removed from the car as part of his investigation. It was during this that he found some irregular patters in the grime on the rear of the bumper which hinted at cleaning.

Judge Spencer tells the jury that these discrepencies are referred to as "disturbances in the grime" of the bumper. The "disturbances" indicate some attempts to clear away grime in certain areas, but the purpose is not clear.

[BM: I can't remember seeing this reported previously, it seems to infer that somone has made an attempt to remove evidence of the 'ramming' between the cars?]

Sgt Coe ruled out various factors for the crash​

During the summary, Judge Spencer lays out several theories from Sgt Coe that could have led to the Skoda Fabia losing control and crashing - but they are all ruled out.

Sgt Coe ruled out:
  • Condition of the A46 which was deemed safe
  • Faults with the Skoda as evidence showed it was working fine before the crash
  • Average speed of Skoda was 81mph - but not enough to cause loss of control
  • A sudden lane change would not have caused the collision
  • Excessive speed did not cause issue either as the section of A46 was flat and straight where collision occurred
  • Weather conditions were dry on the day of the fatal collision
  • 999 call showed that driver inattention was not a problem
  • No alcohol was found in system of victims
[BM: Reading that list, my immediate thoughts were 'the evidence shows it must have been rammed then'!?]

Leon could have suffered 'multiple impacts'​

Further analysis from Sgt Coe determined that the damage to the Seat Leon, which had a hole in its bumper, was either down to one bigger impact or "multiple light impacts".

[BM: With all the cross-examinations either I forgot or missed this evidence from Sgt Coe previously saying it could be multiple impacts!]

Patel only one of the accused to have DNA on wheel brace​

Analysis of the DNA on the wheel brace showed it had a mixed profile according to Judge Spencer. This mix is from 3 different people, with the majority of it coming from Mohammed Patel.

He tells the jury that the evidence shows he is the only one of the eight defendants to have DNA on the wheel brace. The other two belong to people not in relation to the case.

[BM: So this infers that MP was the one who picked up the wheel brace, rather than it being passed to him??]

The judge seems to be highlighting a number of things which put Mahek in a poor light, which I had not really considered that important. I get the impression he doesn't approve of what she has done!?

I was just reading through some old posts, can't remember what I was looking for now, but forgot her ridiculous comments, like she lied about not going to the party because she hadn't wanted to go anyway!

I think the balaclavas and weapons and assembling of 8 people will show the intent to cause gbh, at least for the drivers and mahek and her mother. Also, the judge seems to be really rubbing it in about how explicit the photos were of Ansari and how this would be devastating for a married woman in her community. This really gives the mother and daughter a strong motive to deal with the situation.

I'm not sure about this schedule for deliberations where if they haven't reached their verdict by next Friday then they won't be deliberating again until August! I'm sure there are very good reasons for this, but it might put pressure on the jurors to reach a full verdict for all 8 defendants too quickly?
I bet some of the defendants are hoping deliberations drag out so that they get 2 extra weeks out on bail before an inevitable long stint of chokey begins when they get convicted and remanded for sentencing.

My thought were the delay is due to “July Fortnight” holiday season, especially as there are so many involved.

How long do deliberations usually take? (I’ve only ever seen it on TV) - With so many to decide upon, I guess it could take a while… does coming back quickly usually mean guilty or at least an easy decision with other cases?

My thought were the delay is due to “July Fortnight” holiday season, especially as there are so many involved.

How long do deliberations usually take? (I’ve only ever seen it on TV) - With so many to decide upon, I guess it could take a while… does coming back quickly usually mean guilty or at least an easy decision with other cases?
It really is impossible to say how long deliberations will take, but I at least doubt that the jury will come back with a quick verdict on all defendants like they did yesterday in the Connor Chapman trial.

I'm optimistic that we'll get a verdict late next week. Fingers crossed!
Also, whoever has changed the group status to "verdict watch" - you've jumped the gun a bit. The judge hasn't finished summing up yet!

I'm not thrilled about the pace of this summing up so far. 3 days of summing up and he's only up to the 2nd of the 8 defendants!
I'm now thinking they won't even begin deliberating until late next week.

fingers crossed once he's finished summing up RJ and RK that this will speed up for the other defendants as weren't nearly as involved in the pre-incident shenanigans as the Bukhari and driver defendants were!

If the jury don't get to retire by tomorrow afternoon we wont get a verdict before August.

JMO

Oh no, forgot about that! And the jury need to discuss all the defendants! Hopefully judge will get this done by close of play today and jury will come to a verdict tomorrow. They probably don't want it hanging over them either.

Oh no, forgot about that! And the jury need to discuss all the defendants! Hopefully judge will get this done by close of play today and jury will come to a verdict tomorrow. They probably don't want it hanging over them either.
While I don't see this being a mammoth deliberation I think they will need longer than a full day to deliberate all of the charges for all of the defendants, bearing in mind that there are 8 of them in total and they all had very different roles in the incident.

I imagine some of the defendants' morning prayers are praying that the jury aren't ready to deliver verdicts by 4pm on Friday so that they can have an extra 2 weeks out on bail!

If I was on this jury, the first thing I'd be asking the judge after retiring is to clarify this instruction about Mohammed Patel's evidence only being about Mohammed Patel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukasmalachi
Back