UK UK - Jack O'Sullivan, 22, left friends after night out, last seen Brunel Lock Road/Brunel Way, Bristol at 3.15am, 2 Mar 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hopefully his family can get data regarding his phone although it might not be as helpful as they hope. The Find my Friends app is not always very reliable particularly if the phone is not connected to wifi or is in a location where there are not many iphones around. It might have "pinged" in a location but that was just very approximate. The police did search the little substation, it seems. But the data they have is certainly not enough to get a warrant to search a specific other location.
I imagine his family might have knocked on doors.
Jack might have dropped his phone near water and in the dark gone to try to rescue it -- maybe without seeing the water nearby or thinking it was farther than it was.
The information from the party is interesting but it is not likely to have any bearing on him going missing. It seems like a minor exchange of words between two drunk and tired young people who didn't really know each other at a party.
Did they try simulate the situation? I never used the app myself, but they can have one member walk around with the same model phone and see how accurate or otherwise the results match

The water is very murky and the river is extremely tidal, so it would be very difficult to locate as it may be in the sea. I still believe the water is the most probable answer unfortunately, but its important to keep an open mind. It's very easy for everyone to jump at the conclusion that he's in the water when you look at the area on Google Maps. But we know he crossed the bridge successfully and the phone being on hours later is odd.

Leah Croucher went missing near a lake and they spend ages looking for her in it, but she was found in a house nearby.
Exactly. So until there is definitive proof of him being in the water I will keep thinking that perhaps he isn’t. The phone still being on is what makes this so odd for me

Exactly. So until there is definitive proof of him being in the water I will keep thinking that perhaps he isn’t. The phone still being on is what makes this so odd for me
Yes that's the suspicious part is that phone still pinging at an address I mean personally I don't think they would have him captive or anything like that but there's a lot of dodgy opportunistic thief's around at night he could have been mugged for his phone and maybe pushed in the water.. I do think the lads dead ...he would have contacted his mum by now otherwise

Nicola Bulley was found 1 mile downstream by a passerby with a dog, weeks later after the officials gave up.
The Police did NOT give up. They carried out all the searches they reasonably could, using all their experience of similar cases and employing a lot of equipment, and then withdrew to await developments. Which duly developed. They knew she was in the river but sometimes they have to wait for things to take their course.

The point is that in the UK someone is reported missing every 90 seconds. Just under 1,000 people per day, most of whom have families other concerned persons who expect the police to immediately pull out all the stops to look for them. However, cases are prioritised, primarily according to the vulnerability of the missing person, and resources deployed accordingly. It therefore makes sense for the police to redirect some search and enquiry resources to other cases while awaiting developments in others.

Yes that's the suspicious part is that phone still pinging at an address I mean personally I don't think they would have him captive or anything like that but there's a lot of dodgy opportunistic thief's around at night he could have been mugged for his phone and maybe pushed in the water.. I do think the lads dead ...he would have contacted his mum by now otherwise
I’m thinking you’re probably right about that last part, he definitely didn’t seem the type to just up and leave. And I don’t think someone’s keeping him in their basement or the like but someone’s definitely got his phone that shouldn’t have his phone and (IMO) it’s a bit dodgy that the police haven’t looked into that more

The Police did NOT give up. They carried out all the searches they reasonably could, using all their experience of similar cases and employing a lot of equipment, and then withdrew to await developments. Which duly developed. They knew she was in the river but sometimes they have to wait for things to take their course.

The point is that in the UK someone is reported missing every 90 seconds. Just under 1,000 people per day, most of whom have families other concerned persons who expect the police to immediately pull out all the stops to look for them. However, cases are prioritised, primarily according to the vulnerability of the missing person, and resources deployed accordingly. It therefore makes sense for the police to redirect some search and enquiry resources to other cases while awaiting developments in others.
Those are two separate things. In her case, they found the phone exactly where she went missing, still connected to a call and immediately deployed resources as 'high risk'. With the latest tech and expert knowledge, how did they not find her?

someone’s definitely got his phone that shouldn’t have his phone and (IMO) it’s a bit dodgy that the police haven’t looked into that more
Exactly, it doesn't make sense and if he he still did end up in the river later on that morning, there is several hours of time unaccounted for, in which at some point the phone's data was used in some form and it was not to contact his family. It does annoy me how that if a teenage girl went missing and her phone ended up at a specific address after a night out, a search warrant would have been granted immediately.

This case shouldn't have been such a mystery, there's loads of cctv, he's carrying a phone with GPS and an Apple tag.

Those are two separate things. In her case, they found the phone exactly where she went missing, still connected to a call and immediately deployed resources as 'high risk'. With the latest tech and expert knowledge, how did they not find her?
Probably because she was tangled deep within the roots of a tree on the edge of the river. She later came to the surface because of decomposition and was noticed by the dog walker.

How often do we question why searchers overlook a body in the woods when it is later found in a place previously searched? Bodies are frequently overlooked and later found when circumstances change, eg vegetation dies down in autumn or gases bring them to the surface of water.

Exactly, it doesn't make sense and if he he still did end up in the river later on that morning, there is several hours of time unaccounted for, in which at some point the phone's data was used in some form and it was not to contact his family. It does annoy me how that if a teenage girl went missing and her phone ended up at a specific address after a night out, a search warrant would have been granted immediately.

This case shouldn't have been such a mystery, there's loads of cctv, he's carrying a phone with GPS and an Apple tag.

Ironically, it's my opinion that all this tracking tech you mention is actually creating much more of a mystery here than there really is.
I think he simply fell into the water. His phone was still on because he wouldn't have turned it off. There was still data usage up until the point it disconnected because that's normal background usage. The air tag isn't trackable because he simply didn't register it. The Find My Friends app showing a location in Granby Hill area is just an inaccurate location fix from a phone which is submerged in water/mud.

Ironically, it's my opinion that all this tracking tech you mention is actually creating much more of a mystery here than there really is.
I think he simply fell into the water. His phone was still on because he wouldn't have turned it off. There was still data usage up until the point it disconnected because that's normal background usage. The air tag isn't trackable because he simply didn't register it. The Find My Friends app showing a location in Granby Hill area is just an inaccurate location fix from a phone which is submerged in water/mud.
His mum has given a few interviews (I don’t have the exact sources but it’s easily google-able) where she says the data usage was a LOT, like way more than normal usage and more like downloading several films. The police first told his mum that the air tag wasn’t registered but then changed their tune and said that it was actually registered to his ex-girlfriend thus meaning that the police’s story is inconsistent. They also said they had asked his ex girlfriend about this but she has since told his parents that they didn’t contact her at all! The phone also appears (or appeared) to be at a housing estate, not stuck in mud in the river

Sep 12 '24 rbbm
'What we do know is what the police have told us is that between when a call was made, we know when a call was received, and we know there are other chunks of data usage on that phone up until 5.40am.

'And we know the phone was on the network until 6.44am. I'm not technical, so I don't fully understand. But I've been told that the phone will ping off different masts and then you can kind of triangulate the location from it.''

'We were told at 4.39am that his phone uses the equivalent of data of a nine minute video. That is more significant than sort of apps running in the background type of data.
'There's every chance Jack's not with his phone, and somebody else is using his phone.''
240911-missing-large.jpg

From link, ty
''Catherine said she is still spending every moment searching for her son and believed she had come up with her 'most likely theory' for what happened to him.

"My theory, although I must stress there isn't any firm evidence to substantiate, it that he got into a car, knowingly or unknowingly. A taxi, or many a car he thought was a taxi has taken him out of the immediate centre and dropped him somewhere.''

"It is really hard for me. This is the only thing I do. Every minute of the day when I am awake I am looking for Jack, trying to make sense of it all and keep the momentum going. I am not prepared to accept Jack is not here until someone gives me evidence of where he is.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back