UK - James Markham, 45, killed outside East London home, 2 teens arrested, Aug 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm having one of those days when all these deaths seem so desperately unnecessary. Really so sad

I read about this incident yesterday, before anyone was arrested, and thought exactly the same thing. The poor guy only went to his front door to see off a bunch of teenage boys who were harrassing his daughter and her friend. The friend knew one of the boys from school. I guess a bit of banter had been exchanged. And then the next thing you know, he's dead on the ground, his wife is screaming, and the whole neighbourhood is caught up in something no one who was there will ever forget.

It's partly about weapons and urban youth culture, but it seems to me that this particular case is also partly about the toxic culture of male-on-female harrassment that just seems to get worse and worse, and I think it's much bigger than just being a matter for the criminal justice system. I think the boys are victims of it too - they aren't born behaving this way.

It seems there's been a second arrest now, and probably more to come. What a waste.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/east-london-news/two-boys-14-arrested-after-21290576

JMO

I think social media plays a huge part with kids/young adults. Everyone's location is so accessible, everything is visible and there is no escape from harassment (in my own opinion).

A 15-year-old boy has been detained for life with a minimum term of 15 years for fatally stabbing father-of-three Jamie Markham, who confronted a group of youths shouting and swearing outside his home in Chingford in London.

He had been caught in school with a knife when he was 12 and Mr Markham believed the boy, then 14, and his friends had broken into the shed at the back of his flat in Old Church Road, where he kept his tools.

On August 9 last year the boy and four friends were setting off fireworks outside Mr Markham’s home, even though he had been banned from the area by the courts.

The teenager had goaded Mr Markham to come out and stop him, telling a passer-by: “He’s going to get it. Running his mouth, he’s a c—.”

Mr Markham snapped and came out of his shed at the back of his flat brandishing a large drill bit.

The stonemason, who was just 5ft 5in and weighed only eight stone, was seen waving it above his head at the 5ft 11in teenager, who then pulled out a 18 inch knife.

His killer was well-known as a troublemaker and had wrecked the local branch of Morrisons by hurling red wine and eggs down the aisles.

He was caught on video spitting in his mother’s face and breached a criminal behaviour order five times by being in the area where he killed Mr Markham.

He has appeared in court 12 times and been convicted for 22 different offences since June 2020, when he was 13.

His previous convictions include battery, criminal damage, using threatening, abusive words and behaviour, sending threatening messages and theft

The judge said that the teenager took a knife to school, had a knife concealed in the headboard of his bed, had social media images of knives and made internet searches for buying knives.

“You regularly went missing. You had a low attendance record at school. Your foster parents could not prevent your bad behaviour. You were out of control.

Lost for words at his history of behaviour and that he was allowed to roam free. It seems this tragic outcome could have been avoided had he been apprehended.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datalord
Back