UK - Jorge Martin Carreno, 30, found in River Cherwell, Oxford, in 2021, Scarlet Blake on trial for murder Feb 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good! Awful person, I hope she gets a long sentence although as JC's murder doesn't appear to have the sadistic elements the cat's killing did, it may not be able to be given the highest level. In which case I hope the parole board are on the ball when she reaches the end of the minimum tarriff, as I can't imagine someone with such horrifying behaviour will ever be safe to be released.

Unlike the other Scarlet(t), this one could have actually, feasibly got away with it!

I wonder about this Ashlynn Bell character too. Is it too far-fetched to try and get her extradited from the US to E&W? I would say the evidence suggests serial criminal offending too.

I have no idea on the legal technicalities, but it doesn't seem like the incitement to "kill (someone, anyone) for me" is specific enough for AB to have culpability in this murder. Would there have to be an individual identified as the target in advance?

It would certainly be nice to think that everybody's hard drives in this case are being thoroughly scrutinized.

I have no idea on the legal technicalities, but it doesn't seem like the incitement to "kill (someone, anyone) for me" is specific enough for AB to have culpability in this murder. Would there have to be an individual identified as the target in advance?
I have some idea, not a professionally qualified understanding by any means. She could definitely be considered for secondary liability under joint enterprise legislation:

Actus reus

• D2 [IE Ashlynn] must encourage or assist the commission of the offence by D1 [IE Scarlet] [8].

Vile, evil person. As has been said upthread, they probably won't get a whole life sentence (unfortunately) but hopefully they will never be released.

My thoughts are with the victims and their families.

R.I.P.

I have some idea, not a professionally qualified understanding by any means. She could definitely be considered for secondary liability under joint enterprise legislation:

Actus reus

• D2 [IE Ashlynn] must encourage or assist the commission of the offence by D1 [IE Scarlet] [8].

Interesting, thanks. Do you think they let this go because Ashlynn would have withdrawn the statement that gave them their lead on SB? Or can they still pursue it now that they have the principal person convicted?

Interesting, thanks. Do you think they let this go because Ashlynn would have withdrawn the statement that gave them their lead on SB? Or can they still pursue it now that they have the principal person convicted?
Maybe, although I'm not aware of any sort of "immunity" that someone can claim in order to rat out another offender. I also wonder if the State of Colorado or the FBI will be looking into Ashlynn to see if they can charge her with something within their own jurisdiction. I can't imagine they're very happy about one of their citizens using the internet to encourage someone in another country to murder people and animals.

2:50pm

Blake has now stood up.
She has been sentenced for life with the minimum term of 24 years.

2:51pm

Four months [years?] and two months will be served concurrently for the offences against the cat.

Sounds about what I expected, she appears not to have used the worst of her cat-killing sadism on Jorge, so it wasn't likely to reach 30+, however much I'd like it to; I just hope the parole board are careful when it's time to consider her as she'll still be plenty young enough to repeat this, and I don't see much chance of her having changed in the meantime.

Expected more for the cat though; there's a maximum sentence of 5 years for animal cruelty these days,did it just not count as cruelty?? Should've been 5 years consecutive to the 24 IMO (yes I'm a cat lover so the details of that act really got to me...)

Last edited:
The judge said that the maximum offence for killing the cat is five years imprisonment.

Four months and two months will be served concurrently for the offences against the cat.

So the maximum is 5 years but she only got four months?

That's only 6% of the maximum possible sentence!

I know it's all academic as it's being served concurrently with a life sentence for murder, but I'm very anal with this sort of thing and according to the sentencing council, the sentencing range for the highest culpability and harm level (which it undoubtedly is) for this offence is 26 weeks’ custody – 3 years 6 months’ custody with a starting point of 2 years.

Just when I think i understand sentencing, something like this comes along!

The judge said that the maximum offence for killing the cat is five years imprisonment.

Four months and two months will be served concurrently for the offences against the cat.

So the maximum is 5 years but she only got four months?

That's only 6% of the maximum possible sentence!

I've now had a look at the sentencing remarks for this case, link below and go to paragraph 30 for an explanation of the sentencing in relation to the cat. Please note, distressing content relating to animal cruelty in paragraphs 11, 12 and 13; I recommend not reading these parts (I wish I could un-read them!)

Unfortunately, the cat was killed just a matter of months before the new maximum sentence came into effect in June 2021, ergo Mr Justice Chamberlain apparently had no choice but to use the old sentencing guidelines; as he says, this case demonstrates why the increase was necessary.

That said, 24 years minimum for the murder of Mr Carreno still seems too lenient to me.

Also for information purposes only, confirmation on where the prisoner will be incarcerated:

"The Ministry of Justice said Blake, who is transgender, would serve the sentence in a men's prison."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back