Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into a taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say I was getting more of “it IS that guy” vibe off the accused rapist we were looking at last night, than this morning’s polish butcher.

Maybe my sleuthing antenna is off because I also really owe the silver-haired citroen driver my apologies...

Last edited:
I can't imagine anyone in the vicinity not being aware of this missing person given all the activity.
I think it’s just to prompt anyone that’s not yet come forwards with information, sometimes people don’t like to get involved due to fear and/or just don’t think what they know is important enough. But the simple fact is there is always that one thing that could be a tipping point in a case

The van is an unusual move, right? I'm not sure I remember ever seeing something like this before.

I haven't seen this either but it's a great idea. It was probably all set up to go tonight with it being Thursday (man, it's been a long 7 days!) and they might as well send it out even though they seem to be on the verge of finding out what happened. Hope so anyway.

Right- if the person named is the person who has indeed been arrested- something doesn't make sense. Reports in media from people who know the family said that he is quiet, hard working, doesn't go drinking, works 5 days a week, has young family that he likes to spend weekends with etc.

How does one escalate to abduction or worse? I get there are utter psychopaths out there- but wouldn't you expect some indications? I wonder if he has priors which might have led a move to the UK?

NOW I am also thinking about Gaia Pope and how the house she was last seen at was torn to pieces by the police and people arrested that were nothing to do with the poor girl going missing. GRANTED - Gaia WAS actually IN that house immediately prior to disappearing.

IF Libby was abducted- I wonder what motive they are establishing. I wonder what evidence led to the arrest. I think there is a LOT we don't know at all in this case.

I agree. . . I don't think it was him.

Right- if the person named is the person who has indeed been arrested- something doesn't make sense. Reports in media from people who know the family said that he is quiet, hard working, doesn't go drinking, works 5 days a week, has young family that he likes to spend weekends with etc.

How does one escalate to abduction or worse? I get there are utter psychopaths out there- but wouldn't you expect some indications? I wonder if he has priors which might have led a move to the UK?

NOW I am also thinking about Gaia Pope and how the house she was last seen at was torn to pieces by the police and people arrested that were nothing to do with the poor girl going missing. GRANTED - Gaia WAS actually IN that house immediately prior to disappearing.

IF Libby was abducted- I wonder what motive they are establishing. I wonder what evidence led to the arrest. I think there is a LOT we don't know at all in this case.

He does appear to be a wholesome guy. But you never know I guess.
His wife would be able to say whether he was home that night I expect. Since they had a baby, I doubt she was sleeping throughout the night.
Could this guy have been framed ?
Just throwing things out there, I dunno.

The van is an unusual move, right? I'm not sure I remember ever seeing something like this before.

Me neither. It's a great idea I think. It's feels somehow more direct and personal than appeals on TV or online as it focusses strongly on the people who live, work, or commute the streets Libby disappeared from.

Best for us all to keep an open mind. There may well have been indications prior to this event or he may well be completely innocent. The media have made massive blunders before when releasing names of people who turn out to be innocent.

As a side note, I wince whenever a finger is pointed at someone in the media when also mentioning their ethnicity. The ignorance and racism in this country has shocked me to my core in the last couple of years and I find myself being offended by British people on a day-to-day basis.

I agree with you that this is just an arrest and may come to nothing. Sadly innocent people of all nationalities can be caught up when serious incidents are being investigated. Police have to be able to do their job.
I am white British and as a former NHS worker we worked harmoniously with many many different nationals without whom the NHS would collapse. So I respect your experience may be different but I do have to jump in and defend British people (of all ethnicities) as largely pretty tolerant. Still a long way to go to even up opportunities but I don't think it's all doom and gloom.

I find the van and the leaflets a bizarre move, there is no one in those areas now who hasn't had their memory jogged and most people would have come forward now and theres no guarantee that they are even going to reach people who may be holding back. I could understand this 2 or 3 days after a disappearance but this timing seems odd.

Can't help thinking the police may still not have a clue what happened to her and the arrest is made from some coincidences or accusations rather than evidence.

That sandwich shop owner who murdered a teenage girl (forgot the name, please forgive me) also in the UK a couple years ago was also a hard worker and had a baby. Wife had no idea what he'd done. I don't give much about how others describe those accused of crimes or how they portray the family on sm. They often simply don't know. The perps can hide their tracks well and keep up the charade of loving husband and father for years without showing any outward indication.

I agree with you that this is just an arrest and may come to nothing. Sadly innocent people of all nationalities can be caught up when serious incidents are being investigated. Police have to be able to do their job.
I am white British and as a former NHS worker we worked harmoniously with many many different nationals without whom the NHS would collapse. So I respect your experience may be different but I do have to jump in and defend British people (of all ethnicities) as largely pretty tolerant. Still a long way to go to even up opportunities but I don't think it's all doom and gloom.

Thanks for the reply, Rosalinda. I agree that on the whole people get along fine. I also frequently work in a hospital and it's a marvellous mixture of ethnicities and it works incredibly well. I suppose my negative experiences come when working out in the community and because i am white British people seem to assume I share their blinkered and misguided opinions.

John Leathem who brutally murdered Paige Doherty was described as a “friendly nice guy” who owned the local roll shop and had a wife and two kids. Unfortunately it happens.

EDIT - Sorry didn’t notice Elainera’s post saying similar!

I agree, Rosalinda.<modsnipped> I'm more offended by the emphasis on his job as a butcher, as if it has the editors salivating over the potential headlines. Whoever mentioned them potentially dubbing him "the kung fu killer" made me laugh but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that ends up in print.

And don't get me started on bloody Brexit...

Last edited by a moderator:
That sandwich shop owner who murdered a teenage girl (forgot the name, please forgive me) also in the UK a couple years ago was also a hard worker and had a baby. Wife had no idea what he'd done. I don't give much about how others describe those accused of crimes or how they portray the family on sm. They often simply don't know. The perps can hide their tracks well and keep up the charade of loving husband and father for years without showing any outward indication.

It was John Leatham. I agree, someone appearing to be a normal person doesn't mean they are. It's not like murderers all wear signs on their heads.

Thanks for the reply, Rosalinda. I agree that on the whole people get along fine. I also frequently work in a hospital and it's a marvellous mixture of ethnicities and it works incredibly well. I suppose my negative experiences come when working out in the community and because i am white British people seem to assume I share their blinkered and misguided opinions.

I do understand what you mean too, atoz. Some peoples attitudes are shocking but I'd like to think it's an ever reducing minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member