Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #5 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to judge a situation when you were not there and have no knowledge of the persons history.

Also worth remembering that all her friends had also been drinking. Alcohol and great decision making are not usually good partners.

I don't know. There seems to be an awful lot of speculation about why she did not go home when the taxi dropped her off at home. Was it all about the keys, or was she truly too intoxicated to walk to her own front door?

If all her friends were equally intoxicated, why was she the only person singled out as too intoxicated to have another drink?

Very quickly.

It's never been 100% confirmed but I would guess that her friends came home and found her phone and keys inside but no sign of her. Then reported to Police immediately.

^^^ this. They put her in a taxi, drunk as a skunk, and probably told the driver the address. As soon as they got home (and we have NO idea what time this was) they'll have realised Libby did not make it home safely as planned.

Not sure why people are asking whether it was 3am or 10am as we have no specifics. It could have been any time in between. Be careful not to turn conjecture into fact.

Yes I agree if the club turned her away that should have been enough for a friend to think it’s too late dark cold she’s very drunk doesn’t have her phone anything can happen should see her home incase I know they probably didn’t think much of it at the time but it could have saved her

Buddy system. When your friend jumps into the ocean and starts swimming for the nearby island - step in. Same with a friend who is deemed too intoxicated to function - step in.

Last edited:
The description of her state sounds to me like she was just very drunk. When I was younger I sometimes got into that state myself and have seen friends in that state many times. One moment you can seem to be perfectly lucid, the next you've fallen flat on your back and you have no idea where you are. The drunkenness comes in waves.

I've mentioned this on one of the previous threads, but I read not long ago that drink spiking is much, much rarer than people imagine. Yes, it happens - but very infrequently. Lots of people arrive at hospital at the weekends claiming to have had their drinks spiked, but when the doctors run the tests they usually come back negative - the person is just very drunk. It seems that the fear of having your drink spiked has become so widespread that many people just assume that's what's happened to them when in fact they've just drunk way too much.

I use to drink. A lot! Especially as a student. I actually quit completely 5 years ago because I worried myself with some of the states I got myself into. Not excusing it, but British social culture revolves a great deal around drinking!

The number of times I had to ring friends and ask them how I’d got home. Unthinkably scary. And I once locked myself out of my apartment in a drunken / sleep walking haze, smashed a window to get back in, then went to bed, with bleeding feet from climbing over glass. Classy.

I had no idea what happened when I woke up and had to watch back the cctv on the apartment block to understand what I’d done. I had a complete memory blackout during the early hours of that morning.

I’m extremely ashamed about this kind of behaviour I should add! But if you saw me at the end of a night out you might think I was on drugs (which I never took) I was convinced on many a night out my drink had been spiked ... but in truth it was purely excess alcohol imparing my judgement and affecting my behaviour. I would have been refused entry to bars and could well imagine staggering around without really making clear, conscious decisions for my wellbeing.

Surely that’s partly to do with the condition she was last seen by her friends in, and the weather conditions?

Last seen drunk + didn’t make it home + sub zero temperatures = a very dangerous combination. Time is of the essence even if she’s just fallen asleep somewhere, so I’m not too surprised they moved quickly
Add someone reported masturbating in the same street two weeks earlier and you have the answer.

It is unusually quick.

Whoever reported it to the Police did not accept the wait 24 hours, she's an adult, push backs if there were any.

Maybe reports of screams or other things had come into the police by then so they assumed something sinister pretty quick.

Or maybe they had reports of a distressed girl nearby earlier in the night that they hadn't yet investigated so they were super alert straightaway.

If she was as drunk as has been assumed the last thing she would have been after was another drink.

When you are that drunk your brain tends to work on a rather simple level.

It's possible she sat on the bench because it was somewhere where she could see/meet her friends coming home. Perhaps she had forgotten her keys in the past and waited there.

I don't see the waiting for friends bit. They've only just gone into a club, they're going to be hours

I've only seen it mentioned on here and in a link to a newspaper report from earlier on in the investigation....so we can forget about that one then??

For me that for sure means the person getting in the car on cctv is Libby.

I can’t find anywhere that says she was on the bench at 12:05am. I can only find police to press statement and MSN saying that she was in the area - which Beresford adjacent to bench is. So I would say that we don’t know and possibly police don’t know either

Add someone reported masturbating in the same street two weeks earlier and you have the answer.
It might even of been Libby's housemates that reported that crime. For all we know it could have happened outside her house.

I don't see the waiting for friends bit. They've only just gone into a club, they're going to be hours

There would possibly be other friends out and about that night that had not gone to the Welly?that she was hoping to see.

Maybe plonking yourself bang opposite a takeaway and quite near a pub was at the time a good idea as chances are she would see someone she knew.

I don't know. There seems to be an awful lot of speculation about why she did not go home when the taxi dropped her off at home. Was it all about the keys, or was she truly too intoxicated to walk to her own front door?

If all her friends were equally intoxicated, why was she the only person singled out as too intoxicated to have another drink?

If they had been pre-drinking before though, they most likely would have been pouring their own drinks and making up their own measures! When I used to pre-drink, we would bring our own bottles of vodka or whatever we wanted to drink. We would just pour our own. Where someone might genuinely pour a single or double measure, another might just pour until their glass is half alcohol, half mixer. I'm not saying that's what she did but even though everyone had been drinking, there's a good chance that they hadn't all had the same amounts/drinks. I've definitely been the drunkest out of my friends in the past, other times, friends haven't actually made it on the night out because they drank too much beforehand!

Definitely not 10am, the Police would not have had time to search and then launch appeal. 3am is far more likely.

So 3AM is when her friends reported her missing, and not when the suspect returned home? Is there a link about 3AM somewhere?

If 3AM is the time that she was reported missing, why would that help police narrow down the time of interest to pre-3AM? Aren't police interested in the time between 12:08AM and 3AM? Wouldn't that suggest that police are certain that the murder incident ended before 3AM?

Could she have been feeling a bit down about something so had been drinking a bit more than them and maybe was upset aswel so they didn’t let her in

At the minute I'm still thinking PR picked her up saying he would take her home..drove that way but entered park car park ..(police have him driving that way but he claims he drops her off)

I think he may not have attacked her straight away but wanted to progress his fantasy to exposing himself etc with someone who couldn't run away

Its possible though she did run away from him further into the park hence the screaming and he either attacked her near to the river and unfortunately placed her in there . Or he eventually ran and she drunkenly ends up in the river accidentally.
Terrible to think but that's what I feel at the min
I think he was likely running man
Imo this is why the police are currently not appealing for any witnesses at a second destination as they know where he went roughly and what time he left the area

^^^ this. They put her in a taxi, drunk as a skunk, and probably told the driver the address. As soon as they got home (and we have NO idea what time this was) they'll have realised Libby did not make it home safely as planned.

Not sure why people are asking whether it was 3am or 10am as we have no specifics. It could have been any time in between. Be careful not to turn conjecture into fact.
So we know they realised as soon as they got home that she was missing? Just not at what time this was?

So there has got to be some other CCTV footage, I'm guessing from that shop on the corner, either that or the Citroen driver phoned the police about his concerns that night.

The reason for this is when the initial appeal was put forward they say:

“We’d like a man who got out of his car and helped Libby on Beverley Road near to Beresford Avenue around 11.45pm to get in touch with us.
"He was driving a silver Citroen car, possibly a Xsara or Picasso model, and has been described as having long grey hair and a grey beard. He could also have been travelling with a passenger in the car.
“We want to stress that this witness is not a suspect in our search for Libby, but he may have important information that could help us.

Now we know he wasn't parked on Beverley road as the road he was on was a dead end, so surely the footage must have come from the corner to be able to see his car and the bench.

The only other explanation I can think of, is that he is a takeaway driver and that he parks up wherever possible, hence being on double yellows so this could be the 2nd time he is parked up, so first he's on Beverley road, check on the girl, collects his orders and then returns to the area.

I do wonder why we have never been shown the footage of her sitting at the bench.

Article taken from: Search to find man seen helping missing Libby Squire, 21

Last edited:
I use to drink. A lot! Especially as a student. I actually quit completely 5 years ago because I worried myself with some of the states I got myself into. Not excusing it, but British social culture revolves a great deal around drinking!

The number of times I had to ring friends and ask them how I’d got home. Unthinkably scary. And I once locked myself out of my apartment in a drunken / sleep walking haze, smashed a window to get back in, then went to bed, with bleeding feet from climbing over glass. Classy.

I had no idea what happened when I woke up and had to watch back the cctv on the apartment block to understand what I’d done. I had a complete memory blackout during the early hours of that morning.

I’m extremely ashamed about this kind of behaviour I should add! But if you saw me at the end of a night out you might think I was on drugs (which I never took) I was convinced on many a night out my drink had been spiked ... but in truth it was purely excess alcohol imparing my judgement and affecting my behaviour. I would have been refused entry to bars and could well imagine staggering around without really making clear, conscious decisions for my wellbeing.
That sounds scary! But you’re right maybe LS was in similar state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members