Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #5 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that police were interested in the time period between midnight and 3AM. Is that a mistake?

It makes more sense that a public appeal is put out within an hour of an endangered missing person report.

I've not seen that about police been interested in that specific time span (I only joined this at weekend) but I'm pretty sure I've seen that she was reported missing when her friends arrived home and not the next morning.

If it's correct that PR didn't arrive home till 3am (and like I say I've not seen that until just now) then he had a reasonable amount of time to cover his tracks.

I think her mum just knew (from the police) that the taxi dropped her off at her address .... it just sounds like ‘home’ was inside but it’s actually just at her adddress
Hmm very true, think colloquially when we say “I’m home” it would infer in the house but I can see how Libby’s mum could just be saying she made it to the house but we don’t know if she went in etc.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/libby-squire-missing-latest-hull-university-disappear-hull-welly-club-lisa-squire-humberside-police-a8760821.html

Are we discounting this quote in the Independent by her mum which suggests Libby DID enter her property? I think the simple answer to most things in this case is we don’t know. We don’t know if she entered her house, what time she was reported missing, where EXACTLY she was at 12:05am or even in which direction she was heading when seen by neighbours opposite. Until police provide a further update, everything unconfirmed is conjecture. Frustrating, but let’s hope police have good reason for not making the available facts public. I’m sure they do.

Her mum doesn't say she went inside though she says 'she was home simple'.

We know the taxi dropped her home but the eyewitness says she didn't go in...got out of the taxi and walked off up the street.

Nope. we do not KNOW anything. However.... for the police to have issued a missing person statement the same morning, we can probably infer that they'd done a few hours of preliminary enquiries by then. Like checking with her friends, phoning her parents, enquiring whether the taxi company had journey records. The 11:30 statement wouldn't have happened so quickly if the friends had called them at (e.g.) 10am.

I don't know. Sometimes the missing person report is in the media very fast for under 16s. I've noticed a huge improvement in getting it into the media fast over the past few years. It's possible that the initial circumstances led to Libby being classified as at high risk of something bad having happened and so they did put the report out fast. If someone's found safe then the report can be updated. It's not like the old days when we were reliant on the evening paper or next day's paper, or the 5pm news/10pm news.

I would be more surprised if Libby's friends had called LE at 3am than if they'd called at 9am and the public appeal was made within a couple of hours. The 3am time might simply be the time her friends got back to the house and assumed she was asleep in her room, and then when they checked when they got up they found she wasn't there and the bed hadn't been slept in.

And if LE had the circumstances of Libby being extremely drunk, river nearby, no phone, not dressed for the cold temperatures, all friends have been checked, and possibly also a report came in overnight of a woman screaming, they could have put two and two together and felt that the situation warranted going public fast in case Libby was laying out there with hypothermia and there was still time to find her alive.

Hmm very true, think colloquially when we say “I’m home” it would infer in the house but I can see how Libby’s mum could just be saying she made it to the house but we don’t know if she went in etc.

I think her mum is saying that almost in disbelief at what's happened.

Like she was home...how could this happen.

Don't know if that makes sense.

OMG. I woke up with this on my head ! What do you think ?

Put yourself in drunk Libby’s situation, why wouldn’t she go in her house when taxi drops her off ?
We thought possibly lost keys but think why else you wouldn’t go in ..... something scared her or didn’t feel right , is Libby’s house the bush one ? What if she went towards her front door and she saw something .... something like the door was slightly open , not enough to make her scream but enough to freak her out , she hurry’s away as fast as she can and stumbles a bit ( as seen by lads opposite ) (she might not have seen lads or thought they were the ones messing with her house) she’s trying to get away from house and goes to bench . She’s in a state , drunk , alone , no phone , no mates , she’s scared to go back to house etc , man stops as in a state but she doesn’t know what to say about house as it sounds odd that you just don’t think something is right .

To add to it to make this stronger , why was she a missing person so quickly, so very quickly ?
Friends get in from club realise their house has been broken into and Libby not there , they phone police straight away , so it’s not just a burglary but someone who should be there isn’t ...... maybe even the girls go in their bedrooms and drawers are open and vibrator gone or other pervert stuff . (Think how many times police get calls saying my drunk mate isn’t home and I can’t get hold of them ,they don’t start a police hunt that quick as most of them are sleeping over with someone they met )

Police find his finger prints DNA there , he’s burgled the house , Libby can’t be found , so charge for abduction !
I think that’s a good post! I can kinda see where you’re going with that. Thought occurred to me that what if...She did have her keys & phone with her but she’d gone to bench for fresh air & to sit in a public place because she felt so drunk and out of it and it scared her (I’ve been like that in my younger days)...then either PR picked her up at the bench/followed her home...tried it on with her & she tries to get away (as in my earlier post) screams & banging heard etc...he takes her somewhere...the park??? After leaving her he takes her phone and keys off her & then goes back to her property to have a rummage in her room etc and leaves her phone & keys there and leaves?? I could see him getting off on that no?? Too far fetched?? Like you say the police on searching find her phone/keys etc & traces of a third party (PR) but no sign of her...raises the alarm/abduction??

A lot is being made of her friends “not helping her”. They did help, by putting her in a taxi. It’s very easy after the fact to say people should have done x, y or z, but at the time they were all ready for a night out, and an annoying drunk friend was probably not part of the plan. I imagine the sane scenario has happened countless times amongst their friend groups, and it’s only when something bad happens that people call it into question.

Libby and her friends are not children, they are adults. There’s been a lot of infantilising and referring to her being a “young girl” when she’s a woman. I’ve been turned away from pubs or clubs in my younger days, generally for giving the bouncers too much attitude while drunk, and I wouldn’t have expected my friends to curtail their night out because I’d been stupid. I would have either gone home or wandered off to another establishment that would have let me in.
Everyone is different I would have liked my friend to have helped me out if I was in a similar situation and vice versa so everyone’s just giving their opinion. I do get your side and yes she is a grown woman but because of the fact their had been someone doing indecent acts around their neighbourhood and it was very cold and dark night and no phone it does make me feel sad that she didn’t have anyone making sure she got in okay but I do get what your saying it’s just something bad has happened so that’s just my opinion.

11:15

Pictures from the search as cordon is reinstated and search for Libby continues
Here’s a gallery of pictures from this morning’s search which has seen police armed with power tools to cut away at bracken and undergrowth near the pond in Oak Road Playing Fields:

Libby Squire: Pictures as police resume painstaking search for missing Hull student
1_Libby-Squire-Oak-road-search.jpg

Libby Squire latest as police continue search in Hull's Oak Road

Ok I’m still struggling with why by 11am are the police already appealing for help ?

The friends get in from the pub which is the main uni night there possibly between 2am and 3am (not sure what time it closes)

They most be phoning police more or less as soon as they get in , a police officer takes it very seriously to come out at night , the police officer has to take statements from flatmates who’ve been drinking all night so they need to sober up fast.

Something must be wrong in that house .... a student not home after a night out is so not unusual.

The police know it’s a serious ‘at risk’ situation, it appears unlikely it’s related to her mental health as friends definitely wouldn’t have left her if they thought that.

By the time the police take statements , search house , go back to police station , write it up , it’s more or less immediate to appealing for help .

I haven't long finished university and to be honest the police would put out missing persons appeals really quickly. I was always very surprised that they would put out appeals only a few hours later (like in this case) to say that a student hadn't come home after a night out. The vast majority of the time they would obviously update later in the day to say they'd been located. But it honestly happened so regularly that I wouldn't read much into it.

And it's not like Libby went out with her friends and they got separated and maybe she stayed at someone else's. They sent her home because she was (allegedly) heavily drunk. They probably assumed that she would to go bed and sleep it off. She got into a taxi on her own and then there's no sign she entered the house. When you consider all that, I don't think it's at all strange that the police put out an appeal so quickly.

I've not seen that about police been interested in that specific time span (I only joined this at weekend) but I'm pretty sure I've seen that she was reported missing when her friends arrived home and not the next morning.

If it's correct that PR didn't arrive home till 3am (and like I say I've not seen that until just now) then he had a reasonable amount of time to cover his tracks.

Is it true that police are interested in the time between last seen on the bench at 12:08AM and 3AM? End time usually means end of incident, and in this case murder and time of death.

"A spokesman said: "We are working closely with Humberside Police to support their search for Libby and offering support to Libby's family at this distressing time."

Anyone who was driving around the area between 11pm Thursday and 3am Friday and has dash cam footage was also asked to come forward by contacting 101."​

Distraught mum of missing student Libby Squire thanks students as search enters third day

Last edited:
I think her mum is saying that almost in disbelief at what's happened.

Like she was home...how could this happen.

Don't know if that makes sense.

IIRC her mum was responding to discussion about Libby being dropped near her home and she just wanted to clarify that was wrong and she was dropped directly at/outside her home.

Ok I’m still struggling with why by 11am are the police already appealing for help ?

The friends get in from the pub which is the main uni night there possibly between 2am and 3am (not sure what time it closes)

They most be phoning police more or less as soon as they get in , a police officer takes it very seriously to come out at night , the police officer has to take statements from flatmates who’ve been drinking all night so they need to sober up fast.

Something must be wrong in that house .... a student not home after a night out is so not unusual.

The police know it’s a serious ‘at risk’ situation, it appears unlikely it’s related to her mental health as friends definitely wouldn’t have left her if they thought that.

By the time the police take statements , search house , go back to police station , write it up , it’s more or less immediate to appealing for help .
I totally agree, I think the fact they took it so seriously so quickly, is significant. I wonder if they have had previous issues with trespassing in the house, or whether LS had mentioned that she felt she was being stalked or followed. Either that, or something about the house or unknown information to the public made them take it more seriously than they usually would.

Is it true that police are interested in the time between last seen on the bench at 12:08AM and 3AM?

If so, then 3AM is the time that police believe the incident ended. It has nothing to do with the time that her friends called in.

I don't know I've not seen that reported...only seen it mentioned on here.

11:15

Pictures from the search as cordon is reinstated and search for Libby continues
Here’s a gallery of pictures from this morning’s search which has seen police armed with power tools to cut away at bracken and undergrowth near the pond in Oak Road Playing Fields:

Libby Squire: Pictures as police resume painstaking search for missing Hull student
1_Libby-Squire-Oak-road-search.jpg

Libby Squire latest as police continue search in Hull's Oak Road

Seeing these photos I can't believe how much 'brush' or whatever it's called is in that area. It's like they're searching for a needle in a haystack.

I totally agree, I think the fact they took it so seriously so quickly, is significant. I wonder if they have had previous issues with trespassing in the house, or whether LS had mentioned that she felt she was being stalked or followed. Either that, or something about the house or unknown information to the public made them take it more seriously than they usually would.
I definitely think that could be part of the key info we’re missing...what was ‘wrong’ with the scene at the house when it was discovered...police only say her phone was found ‘at the property’ they didn’t say where inside/outside/her room/elsewhere in the house..

I haven't long finished university and to be honest the police would put out missing persons appeals really quickly. I was always very surprised that they would put out appeals only a few hours later (like in this case) to say that a student hadn't come home after a night out. The vast majority of the time they would obviously update later in the day to say they'd been located. But it honestly happened so regularly that I wouldn't read much into it.

And it's not like Libby went out with her friends and they got separated and maybe she stayed at someone else's. They sent her home because she was (allegedly) heavily drunk. They probably assumed that she would to go bed and sleep it off. She got into a taxi on her own and then there's no sign she entered the house. When you consider all that, I don't think it's at all strange that the police put out an appeal so quickly.

Let's suppose that your friends were so pissed that they sent you home alone when you couldn't even stand up or make a sentence? Would they alert police as soon as they walked in the door, or the next morning?

Is it true that police are interested in the time between last seen on the bench at 12:08AM and 3AM? End time usually means end of incident, and in this case murder and time of death.

"A spokesman said: "We are working closely with Humberside Police to support their search for Libby and offering support to Libby's family at this distressing time."

Anyone who was driving around the area between 11pm Thursday and 3am Friday and has dash cam footage was also asked to come forward by contacting 101."​

Distraught mum of missing student Libby Squire thanks students as search enters third day

After reading that I'm inclined to think what someone else posted..3am is the time PR arrived home.

Assuming his wife confirmed this or they have him on cctv near his home at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
upnorthmichigansleuth