GUILTY UK - Logan Mwangi, 5, found dead in Wales River, Bridgend, 31 July 2021 *arrests, inc. minor* #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
14:10PHILIP DEWEY

Route to Verdict

Mrs Justice Jefford now takes a jury through a document titled Route to Verdict.

They include a series of questions designed to assist the jury in reaching their verdicts.

The following questions relate to the murder charge in respect of each defendant.

Did (the defendant) deliberately inflict on Logan the injuries which caused his death. If you are sure they did go on to question two. If you are not sure go to questions four.

Did (the defendant) inflict those injuries intending to kill Logan or cause him really serious harm. If you’re sure of that you must find (the defendant) guilty of murder. You should not consider any further questions relating to count one or count two. If you are not sure go to question three.

Did (the defendant) inflict those injuries intending to cause some harm but not really serious harm to Logan. If you’re sure of that you must find (the defendant) guilty of manslaughter. If you’re not sure of that you must find him not guilty of manslaughter but go to consider count two.

Did (the defendant) deliberately encourage or assist (the other defendants) in inflicting injuries on Logan which caused his death. If you’re sure they did, go on to question five. If you’re not sure of that you must find him not guilty or murder and go straight to consider count two.

Did (the defendant) deliberately encourage or assist (the other defendants) in inflicting those injuries on Logan, intending Logan should be killed or cause him really serious harm. If you are sure of that you must find (the defendant) guilty of murder and not consider any other question related to count one or two. If you’re not sure of that you must find (the defendant) not guilty of murder but go on to questions six.

Did (the defendant) encourage or assist (the other defendants) in inflicting those injuries on Logan intending some harm to be caused. If you are sure find them guilty of manslaughter. If you’re not sure of that you should find him not guilty of manslaughter but go on to consider count two.

Logan Mwangi murder trial live updates as judge gives legal directions

I can't see AW now going down for murder, in the same way Frankie Smith didn't get murder. There was no evidence she caused physical harm, but she didn't do anything to prevent someone else causing harm. I think AW will get manslaughter and PTCOJ. Murder for the other two

Just noticed this part. So it does look as though there is a possibility for AW to get manslaughter.
Which is encouraging, as it carries a longer sentence.

Did (the defendant) encourage or assist (the other defendants) in inflicting those injuries on Logan intending some harm to be caused. If you are sure find them guilty of manslaughter

John - murder & PTCJ * (*admitted)

Angharad - allowing the death & PTCJ

Youth - Manslaughter & PTCJ.

IMO

I agree, except for the youth. I suspect he may go down for murder, whereas I think he ought to get off the PTCJ charge. He is still a child. If the adults in his life - particularly JC - are capable of murder, what was he supposed to do when they told him to help carry bin bags or act like he was searching for Logan when he wasn't? I don't see him as having acted as a free agent in respect of that charge. Murder or manslaughter is enough to remove him from circulation and hopefully start dealing with his myriad problems anyway.

JMO

14:55PHILIP DEWEY

Alternative charge

The next count is allowing or causing the death of a child, an alternative count.

Mrs Justice Jefford said: “There is no dispute Logan died from a deliberate act committed by someone of the same household. There’s no dispute John Cole and Angharad Williamson were members of the same household and had frequent contact with him.

At the time of the unlawful act which caused Logan’s death was there significant risk of serious physical harm being caused to Logan by an unlawful act of (the defendants). If you are sure there was such a risk, go to question two. If you are not sure, find the defendant not guilty

Did (the defendant) commit the unlawful act that caused Logan’s death. If you are sure they did, you must find them guilty of count two. If you are not sure consider question number three.

Was (the defendant) aware of a risk they ought to have been aware of and did (the defendant) fail to take such steps they could have reasonably have been expected to take to protect Logan from risk and did those acts occur in circumstances (the defendant) could have foreseen or foresaw. If you’re sure you must find (the defendant) guilty of count two. If you are not sure you must find (the defendant) not guilty of count two.

14:57PHILIP DEWEY
Perverting the course of justice in respect of Angharad Williamson
The judge turns to directions for the count of perverting the course of justice in respect of Angharad Williamson.

She said: “If you are sure (the defendant) intended to cause perverting the course of justice.

1. Washing Logan’s blue stained sheet.

2. Reporting Logan missing from his home
“Are you sure (the defendant) intended to pervert the course of justice and assisted the (other defendants) to:

1. Remove the body of Logan Mwangi from Lower Llansantffraid

2. Removed Logan’s pyjama top from Lower Llansantffraid
“If you are sure of any of these you must find Angharad Williamson guilty of count three. If you are not sure of all of this you must find Angharad Williamson not guilty of count three.”

The judge said these questions also apply to the youth defendant in respect of this charge.

I agree, except for the youth. I suspect he may go down for murder, whereas I think he ought to get off the PTCJ charge. He is still a child. If the adults in his life - particularly JC - are capable of murder, what was he supposed to do when they told him to help carry bin bags or act like he was searching for Logan when he wasn't? I don't see him as having acted as a free agent in respect of that charge. Murder or manslaughter is enough to remove him from circulation and hopefully start dealing with his myriad problems anyway.

JMO

I don't think the youth will have appreciated that his actions were as serious as they were though.

He'd been taught martial arts where the moves we're told he was instructed to do - by John - are used every day without serious harm.

Plus he was a 13 year old child - the age of hormones surges - such as testosterone, means they become stronger physically but aren't yet fully aware of that strength and that age is built on impulsivity.

I think he'd done things to Logan before and Logan hadn't died so he wouldn't think this time was any different.

Plus I think the punches to the abdomen from John are more likely to be THE fatal injuries.

Last edited:
I totally agree with this ..hope justice is done
The is a very recent case in the UK where a youth was stabbed, 3 youths involved have been found guilty under the joint enterprise law. Maybe all three will be found guilty of murder? Someone mentioned in an earlier post that manslaughter carries a longer sentence, I'm not sure?

The is a very recent case in the UK where a youth was stabbed, 3 youths involved have been found guilty under the joint enterprise law. Maybe all three will be found guilty of murder? Someone mentioned in an earlier post that manslaughter carries a longer sentence, I'm not sure?
Manslaughter carries a maximum sentence of life, as does murder and PCOJ.
Causing or allowing the death of a child has a maximum sentence of 14 years.

16:13PHILIP DEWEY

Closing speech: Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC

Prosecutor Caroline Rees QC delivers her closing speech.

She said: “Each of the defendants in this case John Cole, Angharad Williamson and (the youth) are guilty of murder and also perverting the course of justice.

“At the time of Logan’s Mwangi’s death at the end of July 2021, he was just five-years-old. We know from the evidence of the pathologist he was just three foot five inches tall and weighed three stone and one pound.

“Teachers and family who knew him remember him as a smiling, cheerful little boy who was polite and eager to please. We can I suggest on behalf of the prosecution, add to that list of qualities. He must have been a brave little boy.

“Behind the smile he showed the outside world and behind the closed doors of 5 Lower Llansantffraid he endured a home environment in which he was not treated with the loved and affection which he deserved.

“Life in the months, weeks and days leading to his death must have been a real struggle for Logan who, even on his own biological mother’s own evidence, sunk to the bottom of the pecking order of that family in that small flat.

“We say he was punished harshly, made to do press ups to teach him a lesson, made to stand in the naughty corner for extensive periods of time, forced to watch others eating takeaway while he was made to eat cereal as punishment.

“He was, on the evidence of neighbours, shouted at regularly by John Cole and Angharad Williamson. We say he was treated roughly by those who acted as his parents during a period he was experiencing entirely natural and commonplace feeling of insecurity and jealousy.

“The fact Logan stammered, wet himself and harmed himself by pinching and biting his lip until he bled was a source of annoyance and irritation to the adults in the dock. Another reason to be angry and cross with him rather than showing love and understanding he should have been able to take for granted.

“In the 10 days before Logan’s body was discovered he had been kept like a prisoner in his small bedroom in the flat you saw, a room likened by Williamson as a dungeon, curtains closed and a barred child gate to stop him from exiting and moving about . The little boy was made to face the wall as food was delivered to him…..
“What must he have thought about the way life was in those 10 day?

“The prosecution say Logan was dehumanised by the defendants in this case, treated like disposable rubbish in life, just as you know he was in death when his lifeless body was flytipped like rubbish by John Cole in the River Ogmore.

“Each one of the three defendants is guilty of the murder of Logan and each one played their part in the cover up of his death. We say each one of them participated in the assault on him with at the very least to do serious physical harm.”

Plus I think the punches to the abdomen from John are more likely to be THE fatal injuries.
IF they were punches and IF it was JC. We only have AW's word for it, and that's not worth a light.
Someone earlier made the point that it would be difficult for a tall adult to punch a five-year-old child in the stomach.
Kicking is a different matter though. Either or both of the males would have had no difficulty kicking him like a football.

IF they were punches and IF it was JC. We only have AW's word for it, and that's not worth a light.
Someone earlier made the point that it would be difficult for a tall adult to punch a five-year-old child in the stomach.
Kicking is a different matter though. Either or both of the males would have had no difficulty kicking him like a football.

When JC was on the stand, Caroline Rees mentioned that Logan’s stomach injuries were consistent with knuckle punches.

Unless Logan was stood on stairs or on his bed.

Jury Poll

I have set this up in The Parking Lot ( a members only section of Websleuths )

There are 3 polls, one for each defendant, it was just easier ( for me ) that way

I will do a separate poll for the PTCJ charge against AW and youth - again it simplifies things when looking at the results.

Poll will close on April 22.

As always, it would be much appreciated if people do not copy over the Poll results onto this main thread.

Jury Poll

I have set this up in The Parking Lot ( a members only section of Websleuths )

There are 3 polls, one for each defendant, it was just easier ( for me ) that way

I will do a separate poll for the PTCJ charge against AW and youth - again it simplifies things when looking at the results.

Poll will close on April 22.

As always, it would be much appreciated if people do not copy over the Poll results onto this main thread.

Thanks very much for doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members