GUILTY UK - Louise Smith, 16, Havant, Hampshire, 8 May 2020 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That he kept punching her to kill her or that he would have known she would die if he continued, I think. MOO

That's how I see it. They are trying to make clear to the Jury ( and doing a great job I think ) the extremely high and out of proportion level of violence used by SM in response to him being hit ( allegedly ) just one time by Louise.
He is of limited intelligence, acording to the tests he has undergone, but from my experience of dealing with someone who is categorised at similar IQ level, I would say that what the person lacks in knowledge is often balanced out with a basic level of cunning and a tendency to lie whenever they are caught out.
I do believe he had sufficient understanding to know that his actions were going to kill Louise.

Last edited:
13:05JAMIE PHILLIPS
Defendant denies attempting to sexually assault Louise
Shane Mays agrees with Mr Newton-Price QC that he may have contributed to Louise's death. However, he insists that Louise was alive when he left Havant Thicket.

The prosecutor begins to ask Mays a series of questions regarding if he attempted to sexually assault Louise in the woodlands.

Did you try to touch her sexually in that clearing? Is that the real reason you took her off? Did you kill her because she was screaming and trying to stop you? She was screaming so you had to silence her? Did you silence her so she could not tell anyone about what you did?

Mays denies all of the above.

Louise Smith murder trial updates as accused continues to give evidence

5 minutes ago
Mays joined search for Louise - and looked ‘around the estate’
On the evening of May 8, Shane Mays’ wife Chazlynn reported Louise as missing to police.

Mays says he went out to look for Louise - having told people he dropped her off at Emsworth Skate Park, he looked in the area close to Ringwood House, where the three lived, and apparently didn’t return until 2am.

Prosecuting, Mr Newton-Price QC said: ‘You weren’t searching for Louise. You knew where she was and you went back to the body. You went back to the body and poured some sort of flammable liquid on it and you burned her body.

‘You set fire to her body in the same was that you set fires in the woods before.’

‘No,’ Mays replied.

The court has now broken for lunch.

Louise Smith murder trial: Live updates as Shane Mays set to give evidence

13:17JAMIE PHILLIPS
Mays denies sexually assaulting Louise with a stick
The court heard earlier in the trial of how a pathologist's report included reference to
Louise's vagina having been penetrated with a stick.

When asked by Mr Newton-Price QC whether he was responsible, Mays denied it and said he "not sure" who did it.

Last edited:
13:21JAMIE PHILLIPS
Prosecutor asks Shane Mays: 'Are you ashamed?'
Mr Newton-Price continues:

Are you saying that someone else has picked up the very same stick? Are you ashamed to admit it is you that has done this to her?

Louise's body was also found with a hole in her stomach area.
Mays again denies being the cause of this.

Last edited:
13:24JAMIE PHILLIPS
Prosecutor questions Mays on location of Louise's phone
Louise's phone case was found around 70 metres from her body in Havant Thicket. Her phone itself was found a further 70 metres away, the court has heard. Mr Newton-Price asks:

As you walked down that track, you chucked her phone case and then her phone. You knew very well what you were dong when you did that, do you agree?

Mays disagrees.

Just as someone else has pushed that stick into her body,
someone else has taken her phone and thrown it?

Mays says he did not touch Louise's phone and someone else must have taken it.

Last edited:
13:29JAMIE PHILLIPS
Mays questioned on story to police
Shane Mays told his mother, Louise's aunt and boyfriend and the police in interview that he walked Louise to Emsworth skate park, where he had left her and returned.

Asked about this claim, he says he thought he had gone to Emsworth skate park. He adds that he saw three "blokes" shortly after walking away from Louise.

You told a lie in [police] interview about seeing three lads at the [Emsworth] skate park and now a similar lie about seeing three blokes at the bottom of that track [in Havant Thicket]. I am suggesting that you lied to the police and you are lying to us now.

Mays denies he is lying and insists he thought he had gone to Emsworth skate park as he "struggles" with his memory.

The court has previously heard how Mays scored in the 0.1 percentile for memory range in a clinical review, which tests his ability hold information over a short period of time.

13:33JAMIE PHILLIPS
Defendant accused of having a lie 'up and running'
Mr Newton-Price QC accuses Mays of having a "lie up and running" with regards to his story about having walked to Emsworth skate park, the opposite direction from where she was found in Havant Thicket.

You told your mother that you took her to the skate park and now you have told the same lie to CJ and Bradley. You have got a lie up and running.

You remember going on a walk, but you do not remember when, what happened or what you did. So why did you say that you had taken her to Emsworth? Were you sending people off in the wrong direction because you wanted to go back and burn her body?

Mays denies this and again insists he thought he had walked with Louise to Emsworth skate park after having no memory of the incident in Havant Thicket.

13:38JAMIE PHILLIPS
Mays captured on CCTV buying four pizzas from local shop
Shane Mays was pictured on CCTV buying four pizzas from a local shop just hours after he had left her in Havant Thicket, the court has been told.

These were for himself, his wife CJ, Louise's boyfriend Bradley and for Louise herself.

Mr Mays you know full well there would be no one there to eat that fourth pizza., is that right? You thought it would look bad. You are no fool. You were making up a story to to make sure that people looked in the wrong places. have I got that right?

Mays denies this.

(good reporting from HL today, albeit a bit slow)

13:42JAMIE PHILLIPS
Mays denies returning to the scene to attempt to burn Louise's body
The court has previously heard from a pathologist's report that attempts were made to burn Louise's body.

Shane Mays left the flat late on May 8, the day of the incident with Louise, to search for her.

Mr Newton-Price accuses Mays of having actually returned to the scene:

You went back to the body and used probably some sort of flammable liquid. You set fire to her like you have set fires in the woods before. Are you telling us you went to Waterlooville searching for someone you had killed or left in the woods?

Mays denies returning to Havant Thicket after the incident.

13:42JAMIE PHILLIPS
Court rises for lunch
Court rose for lunch a short while ago.

Proceedings are set to resume at 2pm.

(lunch break for me too!)

13:21JAMIE PHILLIPS
Prosecutor asks Shane Mays: 'Are you ashamed?'
Mr Newton-Price continues:

Are you saying that someone else has picked up the very same stick? Are you ashamed to admit it is you that has done this to her?

Louise's body was also found with a hole in her stomach area. Mays again denies being the cause of this.

Two things I’m curious about; one, the way he is prepared to admit to some of the violence quite unashamedly and unapologetically (inferred from the court reports) but obviously draws himself a line about other instances of violence, despite the evidence against him. Two, by what mechanism was the hole in her stomach area caused. I know it is macabre to dwell on it, but I am curious as to how this was caused. It just seems so strange and random. And described as a ‘hole’ not a laceration, or such. One assumes it must have been cut in some way? Very puzzling

Hi all, just catching up! Thank you Harchmare again for the updates!

I think he is contradicting himself quite a lot in his story. Earlier in the trial he admits to doing lots of drugs since the age of 18, cannabis,cocaine, ecstasy, etc. So why would louise mentioning she wants to do cannabis rile him up so much?

He keeps mentioning "the night before" made him angry. I think the night before is the key to all this...My opinion is they all were drinking in the bedroom. Perhaps Louise & CJ passed out drunk and then after looking at *advertiser censored* on louise's phone gets him "in that kind of mood" (I feel sick even writing that) he made some kind of attempt on her? Or perhaps louise caught him looking at it? And I'm sorry but I still struggle that CJ could of been totally unaware of anything if they were all in bedroom together? Also, if she told SM what he could spend his money on that means she knew he bought alcohol and that alcohol was also given to louise. (They disagreed with her doing drugs but were quite happy to give her alcohol even though she was underage).

He openly admits to not liking Louise so why would he go on an hours walk with her? Promising to decorate her bedroom etc.

The level of anger to do what he did to her was extreme. I think like someone else mentioned that she probably did hit him with the stick but in some form of self defense trying to get away from him.

Like the prosecution has said several times, his memory seems to be rather selective; he can remember walking louise to woods,their full conversation and attacking her but can't remember what he did straight after? If he left her there moaning, why would you not go back and check on her after you'd calmed down?

I don't know about anyone else but seeing the bit of woods where she was found really got to me. :( Poor girl laid there 2 weeks in a terrible, defiled state, it just looked such a cold lonely, dark place to end up. No way he's going to get off with manslaughter for this. It's too cruel what he did to her.

MOO

Two things I’m curious about; one, the way he is prepared to admit to some of the violence quite unashamedly and unapologetically (inferred from the court reports) but obviously draws himself a line about other instances of violence, despite the evidence against him. Two, by what mechanism was the hole in her stomach area caused. I know it is macabre to dwell on it, but I am curious as to how this was caused. It just seems so strange and random. And described as a ‘hole’ not a laceration, or such. One assumes it must have been cut in some way? Very puzzling
Not wanting to dwell on that either, but my first thought was a branch, used like a spike, using a lot of force...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue210
Back