UK - Lucy Letby - Post-Conviction Statutory Inquiry

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Regarding the complaint against Dr U I have read on NHS website it is confidential...but a public enquiry can request the information from the investigation carried out
The investigation shouldn't have been dependent on a parent complaining. Did no one in the hospital think as soon as that information came out in the trial that it warranted a disciplinary? Surely the hospital had a legal rep sitting in court throughout. If the public can identify concerns from reading news reports, then the NHS is far better placed to know this was highly out of order. The attendees in court knew who he was, even with his anonymity in the press. IMO

Everyone has got valid points. I'm dubious that it (cctv) would actually prevent it from happening at most it's a deterrent and an intrusive one. I also believe if someone wants to do that they will and will lie to prevent detection and perhaps prolong their access. However I do think a private camera for parents and anyone with permission to observe the bab whenever not around is a great idea. I think the thought of parents always watching would be a stronger deterrent than manned cctv bases. It also allows the parents to be there when not being there if you get me. I will second tortoise on this as well.

"I think the serial killer nurse is always going to find a way to do harm, knowing what the cameras capture and don't capture. I think what went wrong in this case could be prevented with a better system of flagging up unexpected events, and communication of that to all senior team members, adhering to rules about two person procedures, and regular training and preparedness to think anybody, whatever impression you have of them, could be causing deliberate harm, or independent and rapid evaluation of serious incidents from an outside agency, who does not know the personnel at the hospital."

I genuinely believe this hospital suffered from the effects of an adversarial dynamic. Imagine being the doctors going to the managers and saying "we think there is something wrong" and then even when babies keep dying to be rebuffed by the managers. It would put you in the middle between two pressing forces ie the concern that she is killing/making mistakes and the managers being in a superior position saying "not enough to act on and stop being silly" I know for a fact this is a really bad dynamic to be in as it leaves you without a path to follow and contains feelings of a distraught nature akin to the effects if gaslighting. There is little more damaging to the efficacy of problem finding than being told there isn't a problem. I genuinely believe all cases of unexpected deaths/serious events should be referred to an outside agency that has no personalised or emotional ties to the place of origin. It would circumnavigate all irrelevant dynamics such as the "stonewalling" of institutions trying to keep a positive public image.

I read something in one of the parent's evidence/statements which suggested that the pathologist doing the hospital post mortems doesn't have suspicious circumstances on his/her radar.

I can't remember which parent it was now, but I'll look for it and post it.

The investigation shouldn't have been dependent on a parent complaining. Did no one in the hospital think as soon as that information came out in the trial that it warranted a disciplinary? Surely the hospital had a legal rep sitting in court throughout. If the public can identify concerns from reading news reports, then the NHS is far better placed to know this was highly out of order. The attendees in court knew who he was, even with his anonymity in the press. IMO
Yes I agree I'm suprised it was down to a parent..I hope the inquiry tackles him or ensures a full investigation

Okay, it was mothers D and I, and it was the coroner not the pathologist. I thought I saw that but probably not.

[BBM]

Mother D - Page 60 -

Q. What about the role of the Coroner in that? You were pushing and you got an inquest was going to be held, until the police became involved. Do you think that is a process that gives an independent overview?

A. Over the years I think I understand that they don't --when -- in the process of that, the post-mortem involvement, the Coroner won't be looking at something suspicious. That for me is a failing in the first place, because you're here to identify what's happened. But at the same time, if they're not fed all the information, or the correct information, they can't do the correct job. So in my case and in my daughter's case, it's ... the Coroner was responsible to review the case, and for me, I don't understand how I had access and the knowledge, he didn't. Is it a failing on his part because he didn't dig enough or his team didn't look for more? Or is it all on the Countess because they didn't share all the information? I think it's on both sides

Mother I - Page 139 -

The death of one baby in suspicious circumstances should be enough to result in a prompt and robust investigation as, sadly, families cannot rely on the inquest process to look into suspicious deaths as effectively as is expected. For example, the Coroner in our baby's case did not really consider the full facts and medical history to ask the simple question of 'why did this baby appear to thrive but have several serious crashes, one of which resulted in her death?'.

Last edited:
Ah I've found what I was looking for -

[BBM]

Two examples

Mother A - pg 23/24 -

Q. What we know -- and, my Lady, we see at page 38 in our bundle -- the reply from the coroner to your solicitors: "Thank you for your letter which arrived whilst I was attending a conference. I too was disappointed with the brevity of the report which I received. However, I have no power to order a hospital to conduct an investigation and still less give directions as to the nature and extent of any investigation that is undertaken." Later on, it continues: "I'll not be adjourning the inquest next week; it would be inappropriate for me to do so. As you know, the Consultant Paediatric Pathologist was unable to determine the cause of death. It is to be hoped that the Pathologist with the benefit of hearing the clinical evidence may be able to give an opinion as to the cause of death, although we will have to wait and see whether this turns out to be the case."

Mother C - pg 120/121 -

Q. Suggestions and recommendations. You say you think that there should have been greater analysis of unexpected deaths where no clear cause had been found on post-mortem.

A. Yeah.

Q. Have you given any further thought to how that can be ensured that that takes place, or whether patients should have a voice in seeing whether that's taken place, or anything like that?

A. I think it's difficult to say, without knowing the ins and outs of all of the specific processes that exist at the moment, but what I will say is, you know, there was some discussion and debate at the time between the pathologist and John Gibbs as to whether the findings on the post-mortem were the cause of the collapse, or the consequence of it. And with there being several strange answers on post-mortem reports, or unusual answers such as "unascertained" or, you know, prematurity being given as a cause, I feel like there should have been something that tied all these together as being an unusual collection of events, rather than looking at each one individually; looking with greater scrutiny at the picture as a whole, however that can happen.

Q. You also say: "I do not understand why the coroner's office did not recognise the increase in deaths as being an unusual peak, especially when taken in the context of post-mortem findings that were not 'typical' and clinical details that showed the sudden and unexpected nature of the deaths. When someone dies in hospital the post-mortem is conducted to establish a natural cause of death even in cases of unexpected death. I feel this needs to change to include toxicology and a greater index of suspicion for all unexpected deaths in hospital."

A. Yes.

Q. Would you like to add to that all, or does it speak for itself?

A. I think it speaks for itself, really. You know, I think it's very sad that we have to consider that somebody could come to deliberate harm in a healthcare setting, but unfortunately this isn't the first, and it won't be the last, time that that occurs. So the index of suspicion needs to be higher.

Last edited:
This was also in the opening statement of Ms Langdale KC - page 47

[BBM]

A postmortem, carried out by Dr McPartland, consultant paediatric pathologist at Alder Hey dated 26 August 2015, concluded that the cause of death was pneumonia with acute lung injury. In her statement to the Inquiry, Dr McPartland says that she did not see the X-Ray report of Child D that had been requested by Dr Brunton. The X-Ray report would have been needed to consider death caused by air embolism. Furthermore, she was not informed of any concern that the same staff member had been involved in a series of deaths. Dr McPartland will give evidence to the Inquiry and whether, and to what extent, there was any contact between clinicians and pathologists about Child D will be investigated.

Yeah, I think I've watched too many episodes of Silent Witness.
There’s a bigger difference than I realised between a coroners post mortem and a hospital post mortem, including how they come about and what is looked at- worth baring in mind an unexpected death would be subjected to a coroners post mortem

It's hard and I understand the recent fears of some of the medical staff now because if the coroners start automatically looking at each case as if it could be suspicious death, then is it more probable that various nurses or doctors will be suspected and accused of harm, even if innocent?

It's hard and I understand the recent fears of some of the medical staff now because if the coroners start automatically looking at each case as if it could be suspicious death, then is it more probable that various nurses or doctors will be suspected and accused of harm, even if innocent?
I think there are numerous people in that ward who should have a guilty conscience, and it maybe they tried their best- but I’m unconvinced for one minute that the sole reason for this being an ongoing issue is because senior medical staff tried to whistleblow and got blocked for over a year. Don’t even get me started on what’s coming out now about the unreported events prior to her employment at the countess that no one did anything about- again is that because this doesn’t cause concern or a complete laissez faire attitude? Too many people worrying about their own backsides instead of working as a team- albeit an understaffed team (again how is this allowed, as surely it’s not safe)- so many questions, still to be answered.

Giving evidence on Thursday, Professor Mary Dixon-Woods, from the University of Cambridge, said [...]

[...]

She acknowledged it was “extremely difficult” for someone to initially voice concerns about possible malevolent acts.

She said: “They may be met with what’s called the credibility gap which was identified in the Shipman inquiry. And they may struggle to be heard or to address the concerns.

“The credibility gap typically appears when the issue at hand is so extraordinarily egregious that it is difficult to believe that someone could have committed it.”

Prof Dixon-Woods told inquiry chair Lady Justice Thirlwall that transgressive behaviour was a “rare but distinct class of patient safety risk that needs to be addressed with appropriate strategies, policies and processes that are standardised and properly supported throughout the NHS.”

[...]

‘Organisations need clarity about the steps they need to follow.’

She said families of Letby’s victims ought to be involved in the design of any such framework.

[...]

"Professor Dixon-Woods also said the NHS is not good at dealing with ‘bullying up’ – the concept of junior staff bullying more senior colleagues by making formal complaints or grievances against them.

Rachel Langdale KC, counsel for the inquiry, asked: ‘Because we are ready to see the doctors as the ones who are arrogant, but not ready to think other groups are combative or difficult.’

Professor Dixon-Woods replied: ‘I think that’s fair.’

The criminal trial was told that after Letby was removed from frontline nursing, in July 2016, she launched a grievance against the hospital.

It was upheld and managers ordered consultants to write a letter of apology to Letby, who was advised preparations would be made for her to return to the unit."

NHS not set up to catch 'bad apples', expert tells Lucy Letby inquiry

[...]

‘Organisations need clarity about the steps they need to follow.’

She said families of Letby’s victims ought to be involved in the design of any such framework.

[...]

"Professor Dixon-Woods also said the NHS is not good at dealing with ‘bullying up’ – the concept of junior staff bullying more senior colleagues by making formal complaints or grievances against them.

Rachel Langdale KC, counsel for the inquiry, asked: ‘Because we are ready to see the doctors as the ones who are arrogant, but not ready to think other groups are combative or difficult.’

Professor Dixon-Woods replied: ‘I think that’s fair.’

The criminal trial was told that after Letby was removed from frontline nursing, in July 2016, she launched a grievance against the hospital.

It was upheld and managers ordered consultants to write a letter of apology to Letby, who was advised preparations would be made for her to return to the unit."

NHS not set up to catch 'bad apples', expert tells Lucy Letby inquiry
Imo this article is bang on ...the no blame culture and procedures to "better" staff who are incompetent or "bad apples" are extreme.
We often said it's virtually impossible to.lose your job in the nhs

This was also in the opening statement of Ms Langdale KC - page 47

[BBM]

A postmortem, carried out by Dr McPartland, consultant paediatric pathologist at Alder Hey dated 26 August 2015, concluded that the cause of death was pneumonia with acute lung injury. In her statement to the Inquiry, Dr McPartland says that she did not see the X-Ray report of Child D that had been requested by Dr Brunton. The X-Ray report would have been needed to consider death caused by air embolism. Furthermore, she was not informed of any concern that the same staff member had been involved in a series of deaths. Dr McPartland will give evidence to the Inquiry and whether, and to what extent, there was any contact between clinicians and pathologists about Child D will be investigated.

I think in the opening statements of the enquiry they also said that babies who die in hospital, even if the death is unexpected, get sent to a pathologist who is tasked with looking for a natural cause of death. That contrasts with if a baby died unexpectedly at home, when the autopsy would be done by a forensic pathologist who is an expert at looking for signs of deliberate harm.

I am glad this is being explored fully in this inquiry, as the Letby is innocent brigade are still harping on about how the initial autopsies found nothing.

I think we all said whoever did the PM may not be looking for everything. I don't get how these deaths were not recorded as unexplained at the time though? If all the docs are scratching heads as to how then how on earth was that not prompted?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back