Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
LL's texts

21 Sep 2015

8.56pm -
LL’s text to a nurse: G poorly again
Nurse: asks what is wrong with her and expresses concern that G has been moved to nursery 4 so fast because it seemed too good to be true. She asks if G is septic again.
LL says G is vomiting, pale and apnoeic and has been cold for the past 24 hours. She adds “Due date today!”
Nurse: “Oh she likes to ‘celebrate’ the big ones in style ☹
LL: “Due imms today too. I got her screened this morning after she vomited.
Nurse: Was she still in 4 then?
LL: “Yup and had NN (nursery nurse) all weekend. Looked rubbish when I took over this morning then she vomited at 9 and I got her screened”
Nurse: “See. It really worries me. I wasn’t on when she was moved but wouldn’t have done it myself.”
LL: “I personally felt it was a big jump considering how sick she was just a week ago. Being in 4 is bad enough and then having NN that just doesn’t always know what to look for/act on. Mum said she hasn’t been herself for a couple of days.”
Nurse: “F ***. I wish she’d told a registered nurse.”
LL: “It’s hard isn’t it. When mum came in today she was like oh I’m so pleased you’ve got her which I thought was a little strange as I don’t know her that well, but wonder if she just felt reassured to have a nurse.”

22 Sep 2015

LL: “Did G behave?”
Nurse: “Yeah she did but was screaming for food”

16 Oct 2015, Fri

LL: “Has anything been done about G vomiting?”
Nurse: G still vomiting but a bit less I think.”

Mother ‘told Lucy Letby she was pleased she was caring for baby girl’

Nurse Lucy Letby 'made two more attempts to murder baby girl'

Wednesday December 14th 2022 - Live Tweets only https://twitter.com/MrDanDonoghue

Colour Code

Blue text - Lucy Letby's (Defendant's) texts and Facebook searches
Green text - Countess of Chester Hospital medical staff
Black text - Police/Intelligence Analysts evidence
Orange text - Medical expert witnesses
Purple text - Agreed Facts and Parents evidence

-----

Day 38 of Prosecution Evidence

Baby G

Unnamed Nurse, CoCH, 21st
September 2015
Evidence continued..

Lucy Letby's trial resumes at Manchester Crown Court this morning. We're continuing to hear evidence in relation to Child G. Ms Letby is accused of attempting to murder the baby three times at the Countess of Chester Hospital in September 2015

Cross-Examination

Ben Myers KC, defending, is questioning a former nursing colleague of Ms Letby about the events of 21 September 2015. Child G had projectile vomited and had difficulty breathing on the morning of that day.

Yesterday, the nurse told the court that Ms Letby shouted for help with Child G on the afternoon of 21 September. The nurse responded and noticed that the monitor had been switched off, which was "not normal protocol", but refuted any suggestion Ms Letby had turned it off.

She explained to Mr Myers that two doctors had apologised to her, as they had not switched the monitor back on. She agreed that the monitors should have been turned back on.

Wednesday December 14th 2022 - Live Tweets only https://twitter.com/MrDanDonoghue

Colour Code

-----

Baby G

Dr Peter Fielding, SHO, CoCH, 21st
September 2015

Dr Peter Fielding, who was a senior house officer on the Countess of Chester neonatal unit in 2015, is now in the witness box

The court is now being shown Dr Fielding's notes from the morning of 21 September when Child G fell ill. They start with a summary of the baby's health, notes she is premature and has chronic lung disease. Also notes medicines that she was on at the time.

Cross-Examination

Dr Fielding, in questioning from Mr Myers, says he didn't witness the projectile vomiting incident and by the time he arrived on the unit Child G was 'recovering'

Colour Code

-----

Baby G

Dr John Gibbs, Consultant Paediatrician, CoCH, 21st
September 2015

Dr John Gibbs, who was working as a consultant paediatrician at the Countess of Chester in 2015, is now in the witness box.

Dr Gibbs tells the court he attended the neonatal unit and examined Child G after she had projectile vomited and her blood saturations fell to 30%. Dr Gibbs described that as a 'severe desaturation'

Dr Gibbs said: 'It’s just unusual for a premature baby who had been feeding entirely satisfactorily since returning from Arrowe Park Hospital to be projectile vomiting'

Dr Gibbs is recalling the difficulty of fitting a cannula on Child G on the afternoon of 21 September. He said given the level of intensive care she had had in her life, it was difficult to find a vein

Dr Gibbs says he cannot remember what room or what type of cot Child G was in, he also cannot remember what he did after fitting the cannula (given this is seven years ago)

Asked if she was attached to a monitor, he can't remember but says 'given her problems she should have been on monitoring yes'

He says if a sensor from the monitor is taken off a baby's body part - in order to fit a canula - then it should be fitted to another body part. He says 'it shouldn't be left off'...he adds that there 'shouldn't be no monitoring at all'

Asked what he did after the cannula was fitted, he says that he doesn't remember but he wouldn't have left Child G alone. He says he would have alerted a nurse on the unit. Asked if there was any subsequent conversations, he says he 'can't remember'

Cross-Examination

Mr Myers is now questioning Dr Gibbs. He asks the medic whether gastro-oesophageal reflux, that Child G was suffering with, could cause projectile vomiting - he says 'possibly'

Mr Myers is now asking about the monitor. He asks Dr Gibbs if the monitor is switched off during cannulation - he says 'it shouldn't be'....he adds that he can't remember what happened with Child G's monitor on 21 September

Dr Gibbs agrees that it would be a 'serious error' for a baby to be left behind a screen, detached from a monitor and no nursing staff told - but says he cannot remember if he did this

Mr Myers puts it to him that this is what happened and cites evidence from a nurse, who cannot be named for legal reasons, who said he and another doctor apologised for doing this. Dr Gibbs says he cannot remember, but adds if the nurse said this then 'it must have happened'

Colour Code

-----

Baby G

Senior Nurse Caroline Bennion, CoCH, 21st
September 2015

Senior nurse Caroline Bennion is now in the witness box.

Cross-Examination

Ms Bennion is being cross examined by Mr Myers KC about her recollection of the events of 21 September. She is being taken back over the clinical notes from that day

Ms Bennion says she does not have a recollection of 'who was doing what' at 15:30 that day (when Child G was cannulated)

Ms Bennion agrees that as Child G was an extremely premature baby she 'did have the potential at any stage to deteriorate'

Colour Code

-----

Baby G

Neonatal manager Eirian Powell, CoCH, 21st
September 2015

Eirian Powell, who was the neonatal manager at the Countess of Chester in 2015, is now giving evidence. She is being asked about the events of 21 September. She tells the court she was due to give Child G her immunisations that day

She says that there was 'some instability' with Child G's temperature and was told she 'wasn’t well enough at that time', so the immunisations were withheld

Other than her immunisations, Ms Powell said she cannot remember any other issues reported to her with Child G

Colour Code

-----

Baby G

Professor Simon Kenny - Prosecution Expert Witness

Dr Stavros Stivaros - Prosecution Expert Witness
Re 21st September 2015

Agreed Evidence

Statements from expert witnesses are now being read to the court. The first was from Prof Simon Kenny and second Dr Stavros Stivaros. These statements are agreed evidence, meaning defence agree with content

Lucy Letby trial: Doctor questioned over status of baby monitor

Mr Myers said: “Later both you and Dr Harkness spoke to (the nurse) to apologise for that.

“Now that happened, didn’t it?”

Dr Gibbs replied: “I’m sorry but I don’t remember that.”

Mr Myers said: “If you had left a baby unattended without the monitor on and it’s a matter you had to apologise for, you would remember that?”

Dr Gibbs said: “I would expect so.”

Mr Myers said: “If you had left a baby like this would it have concerned you?”

“Yes,” said Dr Gibbs.

[...]

Mr Myers said: “You apologised that she had been left behind a screen unattended?”

Dr Gibbs said: “If that is what (the nurse) says then that must have happened, I just don’t remember that.”

Mr Myers said: “And left the monitor switched off?”

Dr Gibbs said: “If that is what is she said then presumably that happened.”

Lucy Letby raised alarm to save infant, baby deaths trial hears

Seven years after the event, he could not recall exactly what he did with the monitor. But he insisted: 'I would have checked she was stable at the time, otherwise I would not have left'.

He could not recall having a conversation with either Baby G's designated nurse or the manager in charge of the unit that day, Eirian Powell.

[...]

'If it had been a significant discussion usually the staff nurse would have recorded that…if something wrong had happened or there had been some worry.

'But if I'd been particularly concerned I should have recorded it in the medical notes and I didn't'.

[...]

However, he knew from medical notes that there had been seven attempts, and that with a baby of G's small size and long history of such procedures it could be difficult to find a suitable vein to enter.

Babies could become distressed, and it was therefore 'not surprising' that G suffered a desaturation with bradycardia and apnoea that afternoon.

'It could distress her and cause her breathing difficulties, yes. But only 'could do'.'

Thursday December 15th 2022 - Live Tweets only https://twitter.com/MrDanDonoghue

Colour Code

-----

Day 39 of Prosecution Evidence

Baby G

Dr David Harkness, registrar, CoCH, Re 21st September 2015

Dr David Harkness, who was a registrar at the Countess of Chester Hospital in 2015, is due to give evidence this morning. Will focus on the events of 21 September 2015. On that morning Child G had a second incident of projectile vomiting and that afternoon needed resuscitation

Dr Harkness tells the court he was on a day shift on 21 September. He says he cannot remember, aside from using his notes, the events of that day

Court is being shown notes from that day, which show there were seven attempts to cannulate Child G. Dr Harkness' colleague Dr John Gibbs told the court yesterday that in babies, such as Child G, that require a lot of intensive care there can be issues with cannulation

Dr Harkness is recalling the cannulation of Child G at around 15:30 BST that day...he says he was assisting Dr Gibbs. He said he was there to pass equipment and keep baby still - jobs normally carried out by a nurse.

Asked why a nurse did not assist, he said 'I expect nurses were very busy, but can't be specific why'

Dr Harkness is now being asked if he remembers whether Child G was hooked up to a monitor. He says she was. He is asked if the sensor from the monitor was moved while attempting cannulation. He cannot remember

He is asked if a sensor would ever be moved, he said it 'would occasionally be moved from one to limb to other'. He agrees it is important to keep a monitor on and attached. He says it is 'not safe' to turn such a monitor off

Asked if he turned Child G's monitor off, he says 'I'm [not] even sure I know how to turn off that particular monitor…at no point would I have turned it off'

After the cannulation, Dr Harkness is asked whether he remembers having any conversations with anyone. He says he has a 'vague' recollection of speaking to a member of nursing staff

Cross-Examination

Ben Myers KC, defending, put it to Dr Harkness that he and Dr Gibbs left Child G behind a screen, detached from the monitor, and had failed to inform nursing staff. Dr Harkness repeatedly says he 'can't remember'. On the monitor being switched off, he flatly says 'no'

On the accusation he did not inform nursing staff and left Child G unattended, he said 'I don’t think so, it's highly unlikely'

Yesterday a nurse, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told the court that Dr Gibbs and Dr Harkness apologised to her for not switching the monitor back on after fitting the cannula. Dr Harkness says he 'can't remember' whether such a conversation took place

--

Court now taking a short break for legal discussion

Court back in session, judge has said it is not possible to hear anymore evidence today meaning we will now adjourn for Christmas - trial will resume on 9 January

On Thursday, Philip Astbury, prosecuting, asked Dr Harkness: “Do you have any recollection of switching the monitor or alarm on and off at any stage?”

Dr Harkness said: “Definitely would not have turned it off.

“It’s not safe. In fact I’m not sure I know how to turn off that particular monitor. At no point did I turn that monitor off.”

Dr Harkness said he could not recall the exchange with the nurse.

Doctor tells nurse’s murder trial ‘at no point did I turn monitor off’

Article dated 10th October 2022 re. Prosecution Opening Speech

Baby A

The court heard that four medical experts reviewed the case. The first said Child A was a 'well infant' before their death.

He said the fatal event was consistent with a deliberate injection of air or something else into the boy's circulation a minute or two before his collapse.

A second expert said Child A's collapse was not a natural event and added the 'most likely reason' was air administered deliberately, 'by someone who knew it would cause significant harm'.

A pathologist concluded it would be reasonable to conclude that air in Child A's circulation was most likely caused by air administration through one of two tubes already attached to the baby's body.

Trial of Lucy Letby, 32, will start today

The Trial of Lucy Letby, Episode 9: Baby G, Part 1: “Just a little tiny thing” given just a 5% chance of survival at birth. But ‘she was a fighter.’​

In this episode Caroline and Liz examine what happened to Baby G, the most premature baby in this case, who Lucy Letby allegedly tried to kill three times in a fortnight.
partial transcripts

"the evening of September the 6th is significant for two reasons, firstly it was Lucy Letby's final night of a block of four night shifts and this was the first block of night shifts she'd worked since the alleged attack on baby F almost five weeks earlier, and secondly it was significant because September the 6th was baby G's 99th day of life..."

"medical notes written by Lucy Letby later that morning also revealed that soon after she'd vomited another 45mls of milk plus a quantity of air was aspirated, or drawn out of her stomach. Dr Alison Ventress the registrar on duty came urgently to review baby G and she noted the large milky vomit"

"...they were still trying to stabilise baby G when Lucy Letby clocked off for the night and went home a little later than usual at around 10am."

Wednesday January 18th 2023 - Live Updates Chester Standard

Heading Colour Code

-----

Day 40 of Prosecution Evidence

Baby G

Dr Dewi Evans, Prosecution Medical Expert, Re. 21st September 2015

10:38am

Independent medical expert Dr Dewi Evans, who has given evidence previously, has been recalled to provide evidence in relation to Child G, for one of the two September 21, 2015 events, when Child G vomited and desaturated.

10:42am

The court is reminded that Child G was born on May 31, 2015, at Arrowe Park Hospital at a gestational age of 23 weeks and six days - the most premature birth of any baby involved in this case.
She was transferred to the Countess of Chester Hospital on August 13, 2015.
Previously the court heard Child G had an incident of projectile vomiting on September 7, and was transferred to Arrowe Park Hospital the following day.
She returned to the Countess hospital's neonatal unit on September 16, with the next incident happening on September 21.
Dr Evans is now explaining what he observed for the morning of September 21. He said the vomiting was "extremely worrying" and came with concern of the "life-threatening" desaturation levels.

10:46am

The court is shown Lucy Letby's nursing note from that morning 'At 10.15 x2 large projectile milky vomits, brief self resolving apnoea and desaturation to 35% with colour loss. NG tube aspirated'.
Letby had given Child G a feed at 9am, the note recorded.
The note also adds Child G's abdomen was 'soft' and 'distended'.
A doctor's note for the incident records Child G 'was apnoeic for 6-10 seconds, went blue, sats down to 30%. Last feed 9am'.
Dr Evans confirms he has seen these notes.

10:50am

Dr Evans said an important feature was the abdomen was larger and distended. He says that could be due to an abdomen full of milk, full of air, or a combination.
He says that is despite the vomiting which would mean the contents of the stomach
"This is a very significant, concerning issue", he adds, in combination with Child G's oxygen saturation levels dropping.
Dr Evans said there was "one explanation", which was that Child G had been given "far more milk via the naso-gastric feed".
Child G had been tolerating 40mls of milk, which would not explain "two large projectile vomits" plus "30mls of milk left in her stomach".
Dr Evans says Child G received "lots more milk" which had resulted in the episode.
He says it could have been milk, could have been air, or a combination of the two, but difficult to say what levels of each would have been administered.

Cross-Examination

10:53am

Ben Myers KC, for Letby's defence, is now asking Dr Evans questions about the September 21, 2015 incident.
He says one of Dr Evans' earlier reports said there had not been evidence of a life-threatening event for September 21.
Dr Evans said he "overlooked" it when looking through 4,000+ pages of evidence, which had included these nursing notes.

10:58am

Mr Myers is now asking about a nursing note by nurse Melanie Taylor on September 30, 2015, which Dr Evans identified.
The note includes Child G had desaturations, with 'one profound desat/apnoea requiring position changed and oxygen this morning'.
Dr Evans had recorded the observations required further looking at.
Mr Myers returns to the September 21 incident, and says the 'projectile vomiting' is a cause for concern that Dr Evans identified.
Mr Myers says the incident does not record the amount of vomit, or how far it travelled (unlike the September 7 incident).
Dr Evans said it was not a 'self-resolving' incident, and it was significant that Child G vomited twice, and stopped breathing.
He said it was "a serious event", but not as serious as the one on September 7, 2015.
Mr Myers says the incident was "brief".

11:04am

The court is shown a note from Dr Peter Fielding from September 21, 2015, in which the bowels were open and the stools were 'loose and green'.
Mr Myers asks if this is a sign of Child G's overall poor health.
Dr Evans says loose stools would be common in babies.
Mr Myers asks if there was a more marked history of Child G vomiting upon her return from Arrowe Park in September 16, 2015. Dr Evans said the events of September 7 left her a "significantly changed baby", and agrees vomiting was more likely.
Child G was then receiving feeding by tube.

11:05am

Mr Myers says there are "numerous" occasions of Child G vomiting from September 16, and the incident on September 21 followed a pattern.
Dr Evans says he agrees due to "basic arithmetic", in that Child G still had 30mls of milk in the stomach after a 40mls milk feed and "two projectile vomits".

11:07am

Mr Myers says "we don't know" how much milk came up in those vomits. Dr Evans says the nursing notes are "pretty descriptive", and "no nurse" would describe two vomits as "5ml each", as that would amount to "a teaspoon each".
It "had to be" more than 40mls milk feed at 9am, which would "also explain" the distended abdomen.

Judge's Question

11:09am

The judge asks if there are any other entries of "projectile vomiting" recorded for Child G in the notes. Dr Evans says there is not.

Recap: Lucy Letby trial, Wednesday, January 18

Last edited:

Heading Colour Code

-----

Baby G

Dr Sandie Bohin, Prosecution Medical Expert, Re. 21st September 2015

11:12am

Dr Sandie Bohin is now being recalled to give evidence, for the case of Child G.
Dr Bohin says Child G had been "tolerating well" up to September 21, and had "two large projectile vomits" after being given a 9am feed while asleep.

11:15am

Nicholas Johnson KC says Dr Bohin refers to a 6am, 45mls bottle feed of milk, and Lucy Letby records a 40mls naso-gastric tube feed of milk at 9am.
Following the two large projectile vomits, 30mls of milk was aspirated from Child G.
Dr Bohin says the event "just didn't add up" from the 40mls feed.
She says the two projectile vomits would have been "more than a mouthful of milk" of 5-10mls each, and "basic arithmetic" meant that more than 40mls of milk would have been administered at 9am.

Cross-Examination

11:19am

Mr Myers KC is now asking questions.
He asks Dr Bohin "we don't know" how much milk there was in Child G's stomach prior to the 9am feed.
Dr Bohin says that is the case, but Child G had been tolerating feeds well.
Dr Bohin says there is a difference between a posit (small vomit), a medium vomit and a large vomit.
Mr Myers says "we don't have the basic figures, do we?"
Dr Bohin says "we don't", but there are descriptions which nurses use to outline the quantities of vomit.
Mr Myers says the incident was not on the same level of the September 7 incident.
Dr Bohin disagrees, saying the incident was still serious. She agrees it "was not the same scale", as the events were "almost identical", even if the "repurcussions" of what followed were not as serious as that on September 7.

11:25am

Dr Bohin agrees that "vomiting became much more of a feature" for Child G upon her return from Arrowe Park Hospital, but says there were only records of projectile vomiting on September 7 and September 21.
Mr Myers says from October 3-8, 2015, Dr Bohin had recorded Child G had '1-2 vomits each day, vary from small to large, and some after a nappy change'.
A nursing note from October 8, shown to the court, records 'two large vomits' for Child G, and the feeding regime was changed as a result. On October 9, another nursing note records 'tolerating 3x8 [three feeds, eight hours apart] feeds well...x2 large digested milky vomits'. That is followed by another 'large vomit' on October 9.
Dr Bohin says the difference with these vomits is they are not projectile vomiting and did not cause Child G "to be medically compromised".

11:30am

Mr Myers refers to an incident of "projectile and quite large in size" vomiting for Child G on October 15, 2015.
Dr Bohin says he has looked through many documents and charts in this case, and may have overlooked that one incident of projectile vomiting.
Mr Myers refers to other 'large vomits' on October 17 and October 22, the latter 'with wind following feed'.
He refers to Child G's father's statement in which he said since September 7, he had seen Child G projectile vomit and covered the cot.
Dr Bohin says "with the greatest of respect", parents can refer to "projectile vomiting" when they mean "vomiting".

Baby G

Lucy Letby's Police Interview Summaries

11:37am

Nicholas Johnson KC is now relaying Letby's interviews with police. Letby recalls Child G and could not remember why she had taken over care of her.
She said "sometimes babies vomit, but not very often is it a projectile vomit".
She said she was not involved in Child G's feed. She recalled she may have gone over to Child G when she heard vomiting.
She was asked about the significance of the air in the NGT. She says sometimes air is taken in when babies vomit.
She said she was not sure of the cause of the air in Child G's abdomen.
She was asked about the "profound desaturation" on September 7, 2015. She could not clearly recall who was there at the time, or where she was at the time.
For September 21, 2015, Letby had a "vague recollection" of the shift.
She said it was a "busy shift" and she was "looking after other babies as well" at that time.
She said there had been "no issue" with the 9am feed, and could not clearly recall the vomit at 10.15am.
She was later re-interviewed. For September 7, Letby could not recall any concerns with Child G prior to the event.
She said there were two possibilities - that Child G had received more than 45mls of milk, or there was undigested milk in the stomach. She denied force-feeding milk or administering air to Child G.
For September 21, Letby agreed Child G's stomach would have been empty when the feed began. She denied intentionally harming the baby girl.
In the third police interview, Letby was asked again about the September 21, 2015 incident. She said she remembered going behind the screen and seeing Child G. She did not recall seeing a monitor which had been switched off. She denied switching the monitor off.
She agreed it was bad practice to switch the monitor off, and "someone had made a mistake" in switching the monitor off and leaving the child behind a screen unobserved.

11:41am

That concludes the evidence for Child G.

Baby H

Parents' Statements

The prosecution will now begin delivering evidence for Child H.

The prosecution say there are two counts of attempted murder for Child H, a baby girl born at the Countess of Chester Hospital on September 22, 2015.

11:57am

A statement from Child H's mother is being read out to the court.

12:02pm

She says Child H was born in September 2015, and had "a healthy pregnancy", the only complication being she was a type 1 diabetic. Checks were carried out, but they were primarily for the mother's benefit, not the child.
She was admitted to medical care in September 2015 as her blood sugar levels kept dropping. Once there, staff talked about the possibility of inducing.
She went to hospital and had the view she was not going to give birth for a few weeks. She was then visited by a consultant and told that, on September 22, for the birth to take place. There was a complication in that Child H would be a couple of weeks premature.
There were also 'no beds available' in the neonatal unit, or in any other equivalent centres, even as far away as Birmingham.
As preparations were made for the mum to give birth, a bed in the neonatal unit became available.
The birth took place, and Child H was "absolutely fine" and "might not even need to go to the NNU".
Both parents were allowed to hold the baby girl, but she became pale and began grunting.
Child H was then taken to the NNU for oxygen as she was "struggling to breathe".

12:10pm

The mother adds Child H was put on CPAP to assist her breathing.
The parents tried to go into the NNU and were informed that Child H had been placed on a ventilator. They were "quite annoyed" they had not been informed about this, and staff said they had been busy and no-one had found the time to inform them.
After several x-rays, it was established Child H had suffered a suspected lung puncture. The parents remained with her, but could not pick her up.
The following morning, nursing staff said the mum had to come to the NNU "right away" and inform the father to come too.
Child H was being treated, with "lots of medical" people surrounding her. They were resuscitating Child H.
The mum was told to sit with Child H and hold her hand. The staff successfully brought Child H back. The staff could not explain her "cardiac collapse".
Child H was then "doing really well" that day.
The parents had just gone to bed when staff knocked on the door. They said Child H was "not responding".
The parents were met with an "almost identical scene" as Child H was surrounded by medical staff. "Fortunately" this collapse did not last as long.
Following this, Child H was transferred to Arrowe Park Hospital on September 27.
The staff there removed and replaced the ventilator. They checked Child H over and a brain scan "fortunately showed no long-term damage".
Child H "improved dramatically" as soon as she was at Arrowe Park, and within 24 hours she was off a ventilator and back on to CPAP. 24 hours later she was then taken off CPAP, and made "a dramatic improvement".
She was then taken back to the Countess, and the "only difficulty" at that point was getting her to feed.
Child H stayed in the NNU until October 9, when she was discharged "earlier than normal" for a baby outpatient.
There had been "no long-term complications whatsoever" for Child H.

12:16pm

The father's statement is now read out to court.

Child H was "quite healthy" at birth, but was "grimacing" and had complications with breathing, so was taken to the NNU.
The father says he was able to see Child H soon after, and saw she was on an incubator, with breathing assistance.
He recalls being woken up on September 26 and being called to the hospital, and seeing "a lot of commotion going on". He remembers Lucy Letby being there, doing chest massaging.
It was explained to the parents Child H had had "a collapse". He recalls Child H was "a very strange colour" and had "mottling running towards her fingers". A doctor explained the pressurised air in the lungs had caused a tear.
The parents stayed with Child H that day, and she "remained ok that day".
He said it was after they had gone to bed that they had a knock on the door and returned to the NNU. The staff were in consultation with Arrowe Park.
The father says in the early hours of September 27, Child H was transferred to Arrowe Park, where she came on in "leaps and bounds".
The Arrowe Park was "a completely different setup" and staff were "more proactive", the father says.
Child H returned to the Countess of Chester Hospital and "nothing else really major happened" before she was discharged.

Baby H

Electronic Evidence

12:19pm

Intelligence analyst Kate Tyndall has been recalled to court to talk the court through the sequence of events for Child H, presented as an electronic bundle of evidence.
As before, the sequence of events features medical charts, nursing/doctors' notes, significant events, plus timestamped evidence of messages recovered from Lucy Letby's phone.
The events show Child H was admitted to the neonatal unit at 6.40pm on September 22, 2015, shortly after being born.

12:27pm

Letby sends a message to a nursing colleague on September 23 informing her she's rearranging her shifts, and will be working with her.
She also informs her mother she's working that night as an extra shift.
She also messages another colleague to say how busy the unit is likely to be that night.
The following day, Letby messages a colleague to say the "It's completely unsafe", followed by a frowning emoji.
She messages a friend that work is "extra mad" so she wouldn't be able to do hula hoop [exercise].
She messages a colleague on the number of babies in the unit, in reference to how busy it was on that shift, and how she had not had chance to 'catch up on Corrie' [Coronation Street].

12:35pm

Letby is then recorded as being the designated nurse for Child H for the night of September 24-25.
Dr Alison Ventress records clinical notes of a lung issue for Child H that night.
X-rays at 1.40am and 2.29am on September 25 were taken. Child H was diagnosed with a punctured left lung.
Dr Ravi Jayaram records a desaturation for Child H and a test was carried out for a collapsed lung.

12:36pm

Letby sent a text to a colleague at 3.07am on September 25: "Can I go now??"
The colleague responds a few minutes later: "Yes. Let's run off together and rescue [colleague] too."

12:43pm

Letby's medical note for the morning of September 25 recorded the "profound desaturation" at 5am, with the fingers on the right hand noted to be white, along with a white patch on the abdomen.

12:50pm

The intelligence analyst continues to talk through the sequence of events, with descriptions of the care being given to Child H throughout the day on September 25, 2015, which includes another desaturation in the afternoon.
The cardiac arrest team is beeped at 4.23pm to attend the neonatal unit.

12:58pm

The sequence goes to the night shift of September 25-26, in which Lucy Letby is listed as a designated nurse in nursery room 1 for Child H. No other babies are in nursery room 1, with four babies (including Child G) in room 2, four in room 3 and four in room 4.

2:08pm

The sequence of events continues, with clinical/routine records relayed to the court on September 25. A blood transfusion for Child H is begun at 11.05pm.
A desaturation for Child H is recorded at 11.30pm, with Letby writing the note up retrospectively at 4.14am the following day.
Observations are being taken more regularly due to the blood transfusion, the court hears.

2:19pm

A morphine bolus is administered to Child H at 1.30am on September 26, and the blood transfusion is recorded by Letby as being completed at 2am.
However, a separate, handwritten paper record shows the blood transfusion having been completed at 3.05am. This separate record is not signed by anyone.
Letby records 'poor blood gas and 100% oxygen requirement' and a third chest drain was inserted around this time, the court hears.
Dr John Gibbs records this as being about 2.15am, as the chest x-ray showed a re-accumulation of Child H's left-sided pneumothorax (ie a collapsed lung). A further, third chest drain was inserted to relieve the pressure.

2:24pm

At 3.22am, Child H suffered a 'profound desaturation and colour loss to 30%'.
Letby records: 'Good chest movement and air entry, colour change on CO2 detector. Neopuff commenced in 100% oxygen and help requested.'
An intensive care chart for Child H on September 26 records 'blood complete 0324 - RESUS'. The record is initialled by Lucy Letby.
Dr Alison Ventress confirms in a clinical record she was crash called at 3.24am as Child H "had desat requiring bagging...Sats 60s then heart rate down to less than 100 so nurses crash called, wasn't being handled at all, no trigger identified.'
Upon her arrival, Child H was 'being bagged via ETT, good chest movement, capnograph positive, sats 60%, heart rate 70 down to 50'.
A test for a collapsed lung was carried out and air was removed.

2:31pm

Dr John Gibbs, consultant paediatrician, records he was called from home at 3.30am and arrived at the neonatal unit at 3.36am. He saw 'CPR in progress', and Child H had no pulse when chest compressions stopped.
The sequence of events details the series of medications administered to Child H.
Lucy Letby's note records, for 3.46am, 'x3 doses adrenaline and x1 dose atropine given...chest compressions stopped at 0346, heart rate 180, saturations >90, placed back on to a ventilator, 30% oxygen'.

2:34pm

Letby recorded, for the Child H event at 3.22am, 'profound desaturation and colour loss to 30%, good chest movement and air entry, colour change on CO2 detector, neopuff commenced in 100% oxygen and help requested. Serous fluid +++ from all 3 drains, became bradycardic. Drs crash called and resus commenced as documented'.

2:37pm

Letby records a Child H family communication at 4.28am: 'Parents visiting at start of shift. Updated on condition and advised to try and rest overnight. Midwife contacted during resus to [help take mum to the unit].'
A follow-up note said parents were concerned about the possibility of brain damage, and Child H remained poorly and could relapse. Dr John Gibbs offered a blessing to be administered and the parents accepted the offer.
Child H was then blessed with parents and family members present.

2:39pm

Letby recorded 'good blood gas at 0700 - ventilation reduced to 22/4, and rate reduced...in 26% oxygen. [Child H] appears settled.'

2:54pm

A series of messages recovered from Letby's phone, of messages sent to and from her phone at around 9am on September 26, are shown to the court. They include Letby's colleague Yvonne Griffiths commending Letby for "all your hard work these last few nights". She says Letby "composed" herself "very well during a stressful situation" and it was "nice to see" her "confidence grow" as she advanced throughout her career.
Letby shows this message to a colleague and asks her how she should reply. Her colleague expresses surprise. A series of messages are exchanged between Letby and the colleague acknowledging there had previously been "bitchiness" among staff and there had been "comments" about Letby regarding her role which Letby had found "upsetting".

2:56pm

Medical notes record Child H's parents were present as treatment continued for the baby girl, with further medication administered during the day of September 26.

3:11pm

The trial is now resuming following a short break.
Intelligence analyst Kate Tyndall is continuing to talk through the sequence of events, which had reached the night shift of September 26-27, 2015.

3:14pm

At this point, Child H was the only baby in room one of the neonatal unit, and for this night shift (September 26-27), Letby was the designated nurse for two babies in room two.

3:19pm

There is a further, profound desaturation for Child H, with a crash call made at 8.49pm.
Dr Matthew Neame recorded attending to the neonatal unit.
Letby, on shift, messages a colleague at 9.31pm to give an update on Child H's progress throughout the day.
She messages colleague Alison Ventress a couple of moments later to say Child H 'had a stable day', and took out the original drain at 8pm, adding 'just blocked tube, lots of secretions!'.

3:22pm

Letby messages her colleague, for Child H, 'I've been helping Shelley [Tomlins, designated nurse for Child H that night] so least still involved but haven't got the responsibility'.
Colleague Alison Ventress messaged Letby: "Never known a baby block tubes so often!! Glad she's had a stable day..."

3:26pm

Letby messages a colleague just before 11pm, lamenting that she had forgotten to record Strictly that night, and BBC iPlayer doesn't work on her iPad.
Letby then is recorded as being on Facebook at 12.45am and 12.46am, liking a post and photo.
Child H then has a 'profound desaturation' timed at 12.55am. Nurse Shelley Tomlins recorded: 'profound desaturation to 40% despite equal bilateral entry and positive capnography'.

3:31pm

Staff were crash called to the neonatal unit room 1. Dr Matthew Neame reintubated Child H and chest compressions were started at 1.07am. Child H's heart rate dropped to 40bpm.
Adrenaline was administered.
Chest compressions were discontinued at 1.13am.
A request was made to transfer Child H to Arrowe Park Hospital.
"No explanation" could be found for why Child H had had such a profound desaturation, the court hears.

3:37pm

Child H had a further desaturation at 3.30am, and medication was administered.
The transport team arrived at 4.10am and Child H was handed to the transport incubator at 4.45am and the handover was completed at 5.20am.
Child H was cared for at Arrowe Park Hospital between 6.10am on September 27 to 11.30am on September 30.

3:49pm

Child H returned to the Countess at 12.15pm on September 30, and was discharged on 5.05pm on October 9, 2015.

3:51pm

Further messages found on Letby's phone from that morning are relayed to the court. Letby informed two colleagues what had happened to Child H that night.
Colleague Alison Ventress replied: "Think of all the babies you have saved and have gone home happily."

3:53pm

On October 5, 2015, Letby searched on Facebook for the mother of Child H, as well as two other parents involved in the case, in the space of three minutes at 1.15am.

3:57pm

A corrected slide from the sequence of events is now shown to the court, showing that for the September 26-27 night shift, Shelley Tomlins was the designated nurse for Child H in room 1 - the only baby in that room that night.
Lucy Letby was a designated nurse for two babies in room 2, with another nurse, Christopher Booth, looking after Child G in room 2. Four babies, including Child I, were being looked after in room 3, and four babies were being looked after in room 4.

4:02pm

Intelligence analyst Claire Hocknall has been recalled to talk the court through the neonatal review schedule for Child H.

5:17pm

Here is a story from today in court: Lucy Letby trial: Baby ‘improved dramatically’ after hospital transfer

5:17pm

The case will continue tomorrow with further evidence heard in the case of Child H.

Baby H - 27 Sep 2015 morning - LL messages with registrar Dr Alison Ventress on Facebook -

LL: “[H] had resus again but not as bad as with us. Went to Arrowe.”
Dr.AV: “Oh crap. Do they know why she did it this time? I’m glad she’s been transferred! How are you? Really rough set of nights for you. Xx
LL: “No did exactly what she did for us, desat then didn’t pick up & dropped heartrate. Looked fine again after though but made decision to transfer which I think was sensible! X
DrAV: "Try to think of all the babies you’ve saved and have gone home happily with their parents. You’re a fab nurse. Hope you manage some sleep xx
LL: “Thanks Ali Xx

Hereford nurse murder trial: baby ‘improved dramatically’ after hospital move

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow