UK - Lucy Letby Trial - Media, Maps & Timeline *NO DISCUSSION*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Prosecution evidence, February 16th 2023, Day 56

Twin - Child L

The trial judge, Mr Justice Goss, saw the drama unfold in front of him and asked a defence solicitor to 'just see what the problem is'.

A male lawyer walked the few feet to the dock and spoke briefly to Letby through the glass screen.

Moments later the defendant's barrister, Ben Myers KC, had his own conversation with her. [...]

The consultant was asked for a second time to confirm his name and occupation. His evidence lasted only a few minutes as he took Simon Driver, prosecuting, through some medical notes relating to Baby L, one of a set of twins, whom Letby is alleged to have injected with insulin.

Lucy Letby breaks down as consultant gives evidence at murder trial

The Trial of Lucy Letby: Episode 16, Baby J Part 2, “All the investigations could not explain why she had the seizures.”​

In this episode, Liz and Caroline explain the rest of the evidence the jury have heard about Baby J, ‘a nice little baby’ who Lucy Letby is accused of attempting to murder in November 2015 by smothering.
partial transcript

"The next baby in this case is baby K, who the prosecution say Lucy Letby attempted to murder in February 2016, so exactly seven years ago. But the prosecution are not outlining her case yet, the jury were told only that this was for good reason. The prosecution will return to baby K later on in the trial."

Prosecution evidence, February 20th 2023, Day 57

tweets -
https://twitter.com/MrDanDonoghue
https://twitter.com/MerseyHack
https://twitter.com/ElaineWITV

Twin - Child L

Anna Milan, Clinical Biochemist

I'm back at Manchester Crown Court for the murder trial of nurse Lucy Letby. Jurors will continue to hear evidence in relation to Child M this morning. The Crown say Ms Letby injected air into the infant's bloodstream in April 2016. She denies all charges

Court now sitting after a slight delay (due to problems with IT). Before we get to Child M, we're hearing evidence from two witnesses in relation to Child M's twin brother - Child L, who deteriorated at “pretty much the same time”

The Crown say Ms Letby poisoned Child L with insulin.

Anna Milan, a clinical biochemist, is giving evidence about a blood sample analysis that was carried out for Child L. The analysis was to test for insulin

Court is being shown blood analysis results for Child L (they were collected on 9 April 2016). Ms Milan said the 'only way you get a pattern like that is if insulin has been given to a patient'

The court is hearing from a scientist Anna Mallan who tested a blood sample from Baby L for insulin. The court has previously heard that the sample showed very high levels of insulin. She says “because of the nature of the result it was reported [to the hospital] by telephone.

Cross-Examination

Ben Myers KC, defending, is now questing Dr Milan on the process for analysing blood - from ward to lab. She says 'ideally' blood will be taken and cooled within 30minutes to preserve it. Mr Myers asks if blood is left for hours, will it cause issues - 'it can do yes'

Mr Myers asks if a sample hasn't been handled correctly, will it effect the relatability of the findings - and specifically in this case. Dr Milan says it can effect findings, but it 'wouldn't create insulin in this sample'

Dr Milan repeats, that the only explanation for the readings in this sample is external administration

Dr Gwen Wark, Guildford RSCH Peptide Hormone Lab

Dr Gwen Wark is now in the witness box. She is the director of the Guildford RSCH Peptide Hormone Laboratory. Her evidence again focuses on the blood analysis of Child L

Dr Wark's evidence relates to the veracity of the blood test results. She confirms Child L's reports met all required standards

Clinical Scientist re. Blood Analysis

Court is now being read evidence from another clinical scientist who reviewed Child L's blood analysis

Pharmacy Technician CoCH re. Neonatal Unit Insulin Orders

Court has just been read a statement from a pharmacy technician who has worked at the Countess of Chester since 1991. A review of her records show that in 2014, three vials of insulin were ordered to the neonatal unit, six in 2015 and two in 2016

Lucy Letby Police Interviews

Jury is now being read a summary of Ms Letby's police interview in relation to the collapse of Child L. She denied deliberately administering insulin and rejected the notion it could have been administered accidentally.

Jury hears in police interview Ms Letby agreed Baby L’s blood sugar levels were low and said you would not necessarily expect that but it was not a huge surprise as it can happen if a baby is distressed at delivery.

When in a police interview it was suggested to Ms Letby that Baby L may have received insulin as a deliberate act of sabotage, she replied “That wasn’t done by me.’

The court is hearing about of Lucy Letby's police interview in June 2018, she denied 'deliberately or accidentally administering insulin to Baby L.' When asked if there had been sabotage of his care, she said, "that wasn't done by me".

tweets -

Twin - Child M

Electronic evidence

Jury now hearing more evidence about Baby L’s twin brother Baby M. Cheshire Police intelligence officer Kate Tyndall is taking them through the sequence of events as shown in medical notes etc relating to Baby M.

Kate Tyndall, intelligence analyst employed by Cheshire Police, is now giving evidence. She is going over sequencing evidence (basically a long timeline) for the case of Child M - important to say both Child L and his brother survived the alleged attacks

We're back after a break for lunch. Ms Tyndall is continuing to take the court through sequencing evidence. The evidence contains door swipe data (showing staff movements on the ward), medical charts and any social media messages incoming/outgoing from Ms Letby on April 9

Notes show that at 16:02 on April 9 2016 Child M collapsed and required full resuscitation - medics administered four doses of adrenaline in just over ten minutes in a bid to stabilise the infant

In all, Child M required nine doses of adrenaline and CPR for 29minutes before he stabilised on a ventilator shortly after 16:30

Judge has just called a five minute break, he remarks that prosecutor Nick Johnson KC has a rather 'flat monotone' voice....

We're back, continuing to go through sequencing evidence - in all there's 423 point to go through. We're on 311 at the moment

Court has adjourned, back at a later time of 1pm tomorrow.

10% BBC
Lucy Letby trial told of battle to save air-injected baby

When questioned by police in 2019, Ms Letby denied deliberately administering insulin, saying: "That wasn't done by me".

She said to her knowledge neither she nor a nursing colleague had accidentally administered the substance, which had not been prescribed, adding she could not believe such a mistake would have been made.

[...]

The results were later communicated by phone to the Countess of Chester's biochemistry lab on 14 April.

Prosecution evidence, February 21st 2023, Day 58

tweets -

Twin - Child M

I'm once again at Manchester Crown Court for the murder trial of nurse Lucy Letby. The jury will be continuing to evidence in relation to Child M. The prosecution allege Ms Letby injected air into the infant's bloodstream in April 2016

Mary Griffith, designated nurse 9th Apr 2016

Mary Griffith, who was Child M's designated nurse in April 2016, is first in the witness box. She is taking the court through her nursing notes from that period

Court is being shown Child M's heart rate/respiration/temperature charts from April 8 in April 9. At around 16:00 on April 9 Child M suffered a 'dramatic' and unexpected collapse, that would require 25mins of CPR and six doses of adrenaline

Her notes from that afternoon state Child M was 'settled'. But at 16:00, her notes state: 'Baby went apnoeic and had a profound bradycardia and desaturation. Full resus commenced at 16:02'

Asked about the crash, she recalls: '(Child M's)alarm went off, I looked over my shoulder, the lights were flashing. Lucy went over to see and said yes it's an event, it needs to be sorted. At that point I stuck my head out round the door and asked for a resus call to be put out'

Court is being shown a photograph of a paper towel which was used by Ms Griffith and other medics on the afternoon of April 9 to note the medicines given to Child M between 16:02 and 16:31. The nurse says 'everything on it would have had to have been recorded' afterwards

The towel is now being passed around the court for the jury to look at

Jury have just been shown a photograph of a blood gas report for Child M - this document was recovered from Lucy Letby's house in Chester when she was arrested in 2018.

Court has previously been told that, when questioned, Ms Letby denied the notes were taken as a souvenir and denied deliberately trying to harm Child M

Unnamed nurse 9th April 2016

A nurse, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is now in the witness box. She is recalling the events of Child M's collapse, she said 'Lucy and I walked over, she said he wasn't breathing, she asked for a crash call to go out'

She added: 'Lucy administered [rescue] breaths...I was beside Lucy'

Dr Anthony Ukoh 9th April 2016

Dr Anthony Ukoh is now in the witness box, Dr Ukoh was working a day shift at the Countess of Chester on 9 April 2016

Dr Ukoh is reading over his notes from the morning of 9 April. He says Child M 'looked well, he was settled. There wasn't any major concerns, no red flags. There wasn't any signs he was in any pain'

Dr Ukoh is recalling the 'frantic' resus call he and other medics received shortly after 16:00. He says it took just under 30mins to stabilise the boy

Dr Ukoh tells the court that when he arrived on the neonatal unit Child M 'appeared lifeless'

"Simon Driver, prosecuting, told the court the paper towel – along with a blood gas measurement report for Child M – was discovered in a Morrisons shopping bag beneath a bed in a bedroom at the defendant's former address in Westbourne Road, Chester, on July 4 2018.

Mr Driver asked Mrs Griffith: “Have you ever taken a blood gas record home with you?”

Mrs Griffith said: “No.”

[...]

Ben Myers KC, defending, suggested to Mrs Griffith that some of the notes on the paper towel were also written by Letby."

10% per copyright
Note detailing baby's medication found in Letby's home, court told

"She told the court the paper towel would have been on the resuscitation trolley and provided a record for doctors of what drugs had been given and when as events unfolded.

Mrs Griffith said she recognised two of the entries for adrenaline administration were in her handwriting.

[...]

Mr Myers made the same suggestion to another nurse, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, who said she thought “possibly” one of the entries was in Letby’s handwriting, but added: “I can’t be sure.”

Note detailing baby’s medication was in Lucy Letby’s home, court told

Prosecution evidence, February 22nd 2023, Day 59

tweets - https://twitter.com/MrDanDonoghue

Twin - Child M

Nurse Belinda Williamson 9th April 2016

Nurse Belinda Williamson is first in the witness box today. She is giving evidence in relation to the collapse of Child M on 9 April 2016. The prosecution say Ms Letby injected the infant with air - causing a near fatal collapse.

Ms Williamson is recalling Child M's sudden collapse at 16:00 on 9 April. She says he looked 'pale and mottled. not quite right'...soon after a crash resus call went out and the infant needed 25mins of CPR and six doses of adrenaline

The nurse did not take part in the resus directly, but she did send word to get Child M's parents who were still at the hospital. She recalls that there was 'talk of discontinuing' before Child M stabilised

Nurse Ashleigh Hudson 9th April 2016

Jury are being read statements from other nurses that were present at the time of Child M's collapse (this is agreed evidence). Nurse Ashleigh Hudson said she recalls Letby shouting ‘can I have some help please'

She said there was 'no panic in her voice, which is normal to avoid alarming patients who may be on the unit'

Prosecution evidence, February 22nd 2023, Day 59

Twin - Child M

Consultant Dr Ravi Jayaram 9th April 2016

Paediatric consultant Dr Ravi Jayaram is now in the witness box. Dr Jayaram was the on call consultant on 9 April

Asked if any concerns about Child M had been brought to his attention at the start of his shift that day, he said 'no, not at all'

Dr Jayaram recalls receiving a crash call - as it was a Saturday he doesn't remember whether he was on site or at home at the time. When he arrived on the unit, Child M was receiving CPR

Dr Jayaram is taking the court through his notes from 9 April. They show he arrived at 16:15. Child M had already received three doses of adrenaline and had been intubated

Dr Jayaram recalls having a conversation with Child M's family after 20mins of resus about whether they should stop. 'Generally the longer it goes on for, the less likely it is to have a good outcome. These decisions are very, very difficult', he tells the court.

He said after 25mins, Child M 'suddenly recovered' - he said it wasn't due to a 'any specific intervention' by medics

'I couldn’t really explain what had caused it and why he suddenly got better', he added.

Dr Jayaram tells the court that during CPR he noticed 'bright pink blotches' on Child M's torso - these blotches 'would appear and disappear'

He said once circulation was restored and Child M was stable 'they vanished'. Dr Jayaram tells the court that he observed similar blotches in another baby in this case - they later prompted him to begin researching air embolis (the injection of air) as a potential cause

He told the court: 'In June 2016, after a number of further unusual, unexpected and inexplicable events on the neonatal unit, the whole consultant body sat down and thought we have to work out what's going on here.

'One of the things that came up in discussion was could this be air embolis, I can’t remember who suggested it.

'It prompted me to do a literature search. I remember sitting on my sofa at home with my ipad, researching. I remember the physical chill that went down my spine when I read that because it fitted with what we were seeing'

Cross-Examination

Ben Myers KC, defending, is now questioning Dr Jayaram. He points out that his notes from the time of Child M did not make any reference to 'pink blotches' - he says surely this would be an important detail that should have been recorded

Mr Myers suggests it is 'incompetent' not to have noted the blotches - Dr Jayaram explains at the time many other things were happening and full relevance of blotches wasn't realised

Mr Myers said: 'Details of decolourisation doesn’t appear in notes or statements because it is not what you saw, is it?' Dr Jayaram again rejected the assertion.

Mr Myers went on to claim that Ms Letby had been “a focus of interest” for Dr Jayaram since the death of another child in this case, Child D, in June 2015.

He told the court another senior medic, Dr Stephen Breary, had “flagged” to Dr Jayaram that Ms Letby had been working when a number of infants had collapsed or died in that month.

“All eyes were on Ms Letby then”, Mr Myers said.

“Clearly yes”, Dr Jayaram said.

Mr Myers said in that case, there is “absolutely no way” he would have failed to record the blotches on Child M. Dr Jayaram again explained: “I recorded what I felt was relevant.”

Dr Jayaram told the court: “They were patches of very bright pink on his torso that flittered around. They would appear and disappear.

“Once circulation was restored and his heart rate came up above 100 (beats per minute) they vanished.”

He said the discolouration was “very similar” to what he had seen in his treatment of Child A, the first alleged murder victim.

Other colleagues had spoken of seeing skin discolouration in other babies who had also collapsed on the unit, he said.

A meeting of a consultants was held on June 29 2016, the court heard.

[...]

Dr Jayaram said it prompted him that evening to conduct a literature search in which he found a research paper which described the effects of air embolism.

He said: “I remember sitting on my sofa at home with the iPad and reading that description, and the physical chill that went down my spine because it fitted with what we were seeing.”

Dr Jayaram emailed colleagues a link to the research paper the next day.

report updated - Irish News ‘A chill went down my spine' over possible baby deaths cause, doctor tells court

Chester Standard - PA report - Lucy Letby trial: Doctor tells of shock at possible baby deaths cause

"Dr Jayaram replied: “At the time it was not the priority. I wish I had and we would not be sitting here years later having this rather academic discussion.”

In a sharp retort, and pointing to the defendant in the dock, Mr Myers said: “It's not academic. She is on trial here for multiple murders and attempted murders.”

[...]

Mr Myers went on: “He [Dr Brearey] raised with you the fact that Lucy Letby was present on these occasions?”

“Yes,” said Dr Jayaram.

Mr Myers said: “With that in mind, she became the focus of interest as events unfolded. She had been flagged up as somehow linked in some way.”

Dr Jayaram said: “There was an association with her being present. Nothing more.”

Mr Myers said: “You and Stephen Brearey were already talking about Lucy Letby in June 2015, weren't you?”

The consultant replied: “In terms of association but as clinicians we have to think about all possibilities … we don't generally consider unnatural causes or deliberate things.

“Nothing like that was being contemplated at that stage.

“It was simply an association.”

Mr Myers said: “Miss Letby had been a person identified as a potential link by June 2015.”

Mr Jayaram said: “Yes and other colleagues had noticed the association as well.”

Mr Myers said: “So all eyes on Ms Letby then?”

The consultant replied: “Well clearly yes because there is an association.”

The Trial of Lucy Letby: Episode 17, Baby L, “He had been given insulin he should not have been given… it was inappropriate and dangerous.”​

In this episode Caroline and Liz examine what the prosecution say happened to Baby L, a twin boy Lucy Letby is accused of poisoning with insulin.

---

Partial transcript - starts at 15.05

"So we need to go back to that blood sample taken from baby L which was sent to the lab in Liverpool to be tested.

It was Dr John Gibbs who gave evidence in court about this blood sample. He said the results of the test were not received until April 14th which is five days after it was sent off. But when they arrived Dr Gibbs said his more junior colleagues entered them into baby L’s notes without realising their significance. Dr Gibbs said they were significant because the results showed it wasn’t baby L’s natural insulin, it was injected insulin that he had in his blood. Baby L had been given insulin he should not have been given, Dr Gibbs said. Dr Gibbs told the court baby L had not been prescribed insulin by anyone and that it would have been totally inappropriate and dangerous to give the drug, which remember is used to lower sugar in the blood, to any patient like baby L who already had very low blood sugar levels.

And like in the case of baby F, back in episode 8, the nurses on duty, that’s nurse Griffith, nurse Williamson and nurse Amy Davies, were all asked on oath whether they could possibly have administered insulin to baby L. No, they all replied."

Prosecution evidence, February 23rd 2023, Day 60

Twin - Child M

Consultant Paediatrician Dr John Gibbs - 9th and 10th April 2016

I'm back at Manchester Crown Court where the murder trial of nurse Lucy Letby is continuing. We'll be hearing from Dr John Gibbs this morning, who has since retired but was previously a consultant paediatrician at the Countess of Chester Hospital

Dr Gibbs is taking the court over his notes for the collapse of Child M on 9 April 2016. The prosecution say Ms Letby injected air into the infant's bloodstream causing a near fatal collapse. She denies all charges

Dr Gibbs examined Child M on the morning of 10 April. He said he queried whether infection/sepsis was the cause of the boy's cardio/respiratory collapse the previous day - 'it transpired he didn’t have either of those, so there was no proper explanation', Dr Gibbs said

Dr Gibbs said subsequent X-rays and heart scans offered no explanation for the child's collapse

Dr Gibbs said Child M 'still wasn’t behaving normally' on April 10, he was 'quiet and breathing slow' but he said that was 'explicable for a child that had very nearly died the previous afternoon'. The baby did eventually stabilise and was later discharged

Consultant paediatric cardiologist Dr Arjamand Shauq - ultrasound of Child M's heart

Court has just been read a statement from consultant paediatric cardiologist Dr Arjamand Shauq - he reviewed an ultrasound of Child M's heart on a request from medics at the Countess of Chester. They believed he could have had a thrombosis

Dr Shauq said having reviewed the images the structure 'is not a thombos' but a eustachian valve, which is 'perfectly normal in infants'

Prosecution evidence, February 23rd 2023, Day 60

Twin - Child M

Dr Dewi Evans, Prosecution Expert Medical Witness

Medical expert Dr Dewi Evans, who was approached by the National Crime Agency to review the case in 2017, is now in the witness box

Dr Evans said from his review of the medical notes, he concluded that Child M's collapse was 'completely unexpected'

Dr Evans said: 'this begs the question whether (Child M) received some noxious substance prior to his arrest or a bolus of air via his long line'

Dr Evans said he ruled out infection (like pneumonia) as the cause of Child M's collapse as he would not 'have made such a prompt respiratory recovery' in the hours after

Cross-Examination

Ben Myers KC, defending, is now questioning Dr Evans. Mr Myers puts it to Dr Evans that if air was injected, it wouldn't just disappear within 30mins. Dr Evans said it would dissipate within the lungs

Dr Evans also says that an 'accidental air injection is virtually unheard of it just doesn’t happen' due to the sophistication of modern medical equipment

Mr Myers puts it to Dr Evans that air is made up of 70/80% nitrogen - which is insoluble in blood at that level, 'it doesn't vanish' Mr Myers said so it would still be present. Dr Evans says it would have dissipated somewhere

Dr Evans says most likely the cardiac compressions resulted in air moving from one side of heart into lung. Mr Myers puts it to the medic that he has no empirical evidence to back up these claims, Dr Evans says it would not be ethical to carry out such research on babies

Mr Myers has brought up a blood gas chart for Child M from April 8. They show it was not monitored for a number of hours - Dr Evans dismisses significance of this, saying 'we try to avoid sticking pins and needles in babies if we can avoid it'

Mr Myers puts it to Dr Evans that Child M's collapse could have been due to 'some residual underlying issue', he disagrees and repeats his belief that air was injected. A claim Mr Myers says he has 'no supporting evidence whatsoever' for

We're now being shown diagrams of the lines from an IV bag to a cannula (Dr Evans said that air could have been injected in through a bung on the line)

Mr Myers is pointing that the bung is there for a rapid injection of say adrenaline and goes into the system very quickly. Dr Evans agrees. That brings to an end Dr Evans' evidence for today - we're now hearing statements of agreed evidence, before another expert after lunch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back