GUILTY UK - Mee Kuen "Deborah" Chong, 67, Wembley, London, decapitated in woods, Salcombe, Jun 2021 *arrest

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've not seen this photo before

A-body-was-found-in-a-wooded-area-3126023.jpg

Headless body found in woods identified as pensioner missing 200 miles away

The death is being treated as "unexplained" by police, who have
sealed off the woods near North Sands cove
in Salcombe, Devon.
The fire and ambulance service have both assisted with the investigation after the body was found on Sunday.

Google Maps

Great research, guys, and thank you for taking us right to the scene of the crime (well, one of them)!

When you look at that steep stairway, and think how hard-to-manoeuvre a dead body must be, you can start to see how someone might get to the point of transporting one all the way from London to Devon, but then just kind of give up and leave it in the first vaguely concealed spot they came to. I feel tired just looking at it.

You've got to think that the body would have been moved downhill not uphill for choice, so that makes me wonder if it's Devon Road that was known to the accused, not Bennett Road, since Devon Road is presumably the one that was driven along before the corpse was then removed from the vehicle.

I'm presuming - but maybe someone can confirm - that they've had cadaver dogs all over that land between Devon Road and Bennett Road? Because I think you'd want to be sure that the head isn't there too somewhere. That's actually quite a lot of land, some of it apparently public and much of it basically people's gardens, and also a lot of it too steep to be very easily accessible.

Given the number of crime scenes and the fact that the court reporting seems to be saying she was killed in London and transported post mortem, it's possible, though, that the head never made it to Devon.

I know I seem obsessed with the head and I probably am! I'm just deeply curious to know if removing it was about making identification or establishing CoD difficult, or if it had personal or ritual significance, and I feel if only it could be found that might become clearer.

JMO

Baffling why her body was dumped there rather than in the sea or a more remote spot. There seem to be plenty of quiet country lanes in the vicinity.
It could have been just a question of ease and opportunity, having a body to move from a car and offload without being seen, perhaps at night. I would be nervous dumping anything without being seen, even if it was just a bag of rubbish or an old mattress. It's such a strange and specific location to head for but if you've got cars in front or behind I suppose you can't just stop, in what might seem to be a more obvious location. Who knows, she might have even booked a holiday cottage for a weekend just to have easy access for that very purpose and ended up dumping the body there because the opportunity presented itself and she got too nervous with other options.

I'm still keen to know how they identified the body. Wonder if she had something like a metal implant or a pacemaker that was identifiable. There was that case of David Lytton found dead on Saddleworth Moor who wasn't identified for a long time but they knew he'd had a metal plate put in his leg in Pakistan. Identity of man found dead on Saddleworth Moor confirmed

Great research, guys, and thank you for taking us right to the scene of the crime (well, one of them)!

When you look at that steep stairway, and think how hard-to-manoeuvre a dead body must be, you can start to see how someone might get to the point of transporting one all the way from London to Devon, but then just kind of give up and leave it in the first vaguely concealed spot they came to. I feel tired just looking at it.

You've got to think that the body would have been moved downhill not uphill for choice, so that makes me wonder if it's Devon Road that was known to the accused, not Bennett Road, since Devon Road is presumably the one that was driven along before the corpse was then removed from the vehicle.

I'm presuming - but maybe someone can confirm - that they've had cadaver dogs all over that land between Devon Road and Bennett Road? Because I think you'd want to be sure that the head isn't there too somewhere. That's actually quite a lot of land, some of it apparently public and much of it basically people's gardens, and also a lot of it too steep to be very easily accessible.

Given the number of crime scenes and the fact that the court reporting seems to be saying she was killed in London and transported post mortem, it's possible, though, that the head never made it to Devon.

I know I seem obsessed with the head and I probably am! I'm just deeply curious to know if removing it was about making identification or establishing CoD difficult, or if it had personal or ritual significance, and I feel if only it could be found that might become clearer.

JMO

I don't think the body was moved down those steps, I think the area at the bottom of the steps is the relevant place.

Does anyone know whether either the victim or suspect had family in the area the body was found?

<modsnip: quoted post removed / discussing rumor> I still feel that this was likely a psychotic episode of some sort on part of the accused, though. These types of born-again churches attract a lot of people struggling with major unresolved issues, in my experience. There’s a lot of “Jesus will save you” messaging that can encourage people to abandon conventional healthcare and medicines. Almost everyone I met through my friend’s church had a history of major life problems, whether it be addiction, spousal suicide, severe alopecia, self harm, etc. The church gave them hope, community and purpose, but you got the sense that the underlying issues were never really properly addressed…

Last edited by a moderator:
Police have reopened a road in Salcombe in south Devon which was closed following the discovery of a body in a nearby woods.

A member of the public discovered a 'headless' body in a wooded area near Bennett Road in Salcombe at around 5pm on June 27.

Devon and Cornwall Police arrived after receiving the report, and the area including the road around where the body was found was sectioned off as an investigation was launched.

Police confirmed that they identified the body of the woman as missing pensioner, Mee Kuen Chong, from London.

Police say that Bennett Road has now reopened, however the investigation continues and residents can still expect a police presence.

Salcombe murder probe: Police reopen road near where body found

Above link has 'headless' in quotes. Does that mean it was maybe just partially severed but still there?
They're just being cautious and acknowledging that the phrasing comes from another source (probably the police), not the journalist. This seems to happen a lot in UK news sources, probably for legal reasons: there's another example in the related articles in the sidebar where "stabbing" is in quotes. If they wanted to tell readers the head was partially severed I'm sure they'd come out and say it.

Although features this case, this article also generally asks why some cases get more publicity than others.

The 'Missing Person Hierarchy' – Why Some Disappearances Get More Press Than Others

Until 67-year-old Mee Kuen Chong's headless body was discovered 200 miles from her home, little attention was paid to the case. Why?

The initial fact of Chong’s vanishing didn’t provoke any viral social media posts, just as the two weeks between her disappearance and the discovery of her body didn’t see any urgently broadcast television appeals for information, or sustained media coverage. Aside from a few individual attempts to drum up publicity, and a brief notice on a local London news website, there was nothing – at least, until the missing persons case transformed into a murder inquiry.

For some, the relative silence has prompted questions of why some missing people seem to gather more attention than others.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avatour360
Back