Law Student
Reaction score
image1_bcd662b9038e3c1c4d8c478622b1db44.jpg

• Age at disappearance: 31
  • Missing Since: 14-Nov-2015
  • Missing from: Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear
  • Reference No: 16-000652

Missing People‏Verified account @missingpeople

Today marks the 3rd anniversary of Michael Whinham's disappearance from #NewcastleUponTyne. Michael was 31 when he went missing. Our thoughts are with his loved ones today. Michael, we're here for you. Please call or text 116 000 #findMichaelWhinham http://www.misspl.co/uc9e30mBxP0

Missing People on Twitter

BBM

Dad of Newcastle man Michael Whinham vows to never give up looking for son - three years after he was reported missing

Three years on from his son's mysterious disappearance, a distraught dad has revealed his regret at the terrible argument they had on their last meeting.

Michael Whinham was 31 when he vanished on November 14 in 2015, and his dad Paul hasn’t seen him since.

The 69-year-old has spent three years desperately searching for information on his son's whereabouts - and says he will never give up hope that Michael will come home.

"It was on November 10 - I went round and there was food all over the place, it was a pigsty.

"I lost my cool with him and he said: 'I've got enough problems, don't start making it worse'.

Michael-Whinham.jpg

Paul believes his son is now sleeping rough somewhere in the UK and said there have been several sightings of him, with the most recent one being around eight weeks ago in London.

"A friend saw this man mumbling to himself in a Geordie accent - that's exactly what Michael used to do. This woman had seen his face on the poster.

"Eighteen months ago he was spotted in Edinburgh by someone else who was living on the street."

Distraught dad said he will never give up looking for his son

More from link:

Michael suffered from mental health problems, and Paul said while he would have periods of being "clean" and going to church, at other times "he would just go on benders".

He said he would "100%" be in a better position to help and support Michael now.

"I would have more sympathy, before I was a typical father and ignorant of some of these issues.

"If he's happy in the situation he's in, I don't have a problem with that - what I want for him is just whatever he wants out of life - but I just want him to get in touch and let us know he's safe.

"But I want him to be home, I want to give him more time.

"I still think about him all the time - if a song comes on the radio that reminds me of him I burst into tears.

"But at the minute I feel like there's nothing I can do, like I'm coming to the end of the road."

bbm

From 2016:

Missing Newcastle man Michael Whinham: Detectives now leading probe into disappearance

Northumbria Police initially treated Michael’s disappearance as a missing person’s enquiry. But the force has now revealed that the case has been passed on to CID officers, and detectives are not ruling out foul play.

And Det Insp Helen Anderson, who is leading the investigation, said: “The search for missing man Michael Whinham is now being co-ordinated by CID as there is a possibility that something may have happened to him and we need to find out what.

“We are not ruling out that he may still be missing and out there, and enquiries are continuing, but when someone vanishes without a trace and there is no contact, sightings or reason why they might have disappeared then every possibility must be explored.”

Missing Newcastle man Michael Whinham: Detectives now leading probe into disappearance

Dad who pays mortgage on missing son's home so he has somewhere to return to at risk of losing it

A dad is today fighting to keep his missing son’s home, so he has somewhere to return to.

It has now been almost three years since Michael Whinham vanished without a trace.

But his dad Paul remains convinced that his boy is still alive.

And he is now desperately looking for a way to retain ownership of Michael’s house, in Newcastle, so that his son always has a home to come back to.

Dad who paid mortgage on missing son's house for years at risk of losing it

Thank you HayLoise for bringing this to WS. Such a heartbreaking situation for Paul to be in. Whether Michael walked out himself or a third person is involved in his disappearance, I find it odd that nobody from the area is on WS and picked this up. I was born in Wallsend a long time ago, and I mean a long time ago but moved further over when I was 2 years old. The old saying 'home is where the heart is' stays with me.
However seeing Michaels case drew me here because I'd like to see if we can find him. His father is distraught and struggling to keep Michaels house for him so he has a home to come back to. Let's hope the police can find something, anything to give an indication as to what may have happened.

Did Michael have many friends? Have any of those friends come forward with any information from when they last saw him?

What if family? Was Michael married, did he have children?

Some one out there knows Michael Whinham, he was 31 years old when he disappeared. Did he go drinking, where was this, the name of the pub?

I find it odd that nobody from the area is on WS and picked this up.

I'm from Newcastle, and similar in age (33) to Michael but I don't recall having heard about his case before. He does look a little familiar, so maybe I've seen his picture or skim-read an article, but there certainly hasn't been a great deal of coverage.

His poor father, it sounds like he's being a little hard on himself in relation to Michael's past mental health issues.

I'm from Newcastle, and similar in age (33) to Michael but I don't recall having heard about his case before. He does look a little familiar, so maybe I've seen his picture or skim-read an article, but there certainly hasn't been a great deal of coverage.

His poor father, it sounds like he's being a little hard on himself in relation to Michael's past mental health issues.

Alreet, and we're off. Hi Alreetlike and welcome. Im In East Anglia now since 1964, my father had a petrol station on the Coast Road at Wallsend, that's how I know the area.

It's a shame there hasn't been much coverage in the local papers up there. I wonder why that has been? Do any of your friends remember this happening ? Maybe apif you get a chance to mention it, see if we can get something to follow up and pick over eh.

Michael-Whinham.jpg

Missing Michael Whinham from Newcastle (Image: Northumbria Police)

Three years on from his son's mysterious disappearance, a distraught dad has revealed his regret at the terrible argument they had on their last meeting.

Michael Whinham was 31 when he vanished on November 14 in 2015, and his dad Paul hasn’t seen him since.

[...]

Paul believes his son is now sleeping rough somewhere in the UK and said there have been several sightings of him, with the most recent one being around eight weeks ago in London.

"A friend saw this man mumbling to himself in a Geordie accent - that's exactly what Michael used to do. This woman had seen his face on the poster.

"Eighteen months ago he was spotted in Edinburgh by someone else who was living on the street."

This is micheals most up to date missing poster. It says there have been two possible sightings of him in London by big Ben and on the banks of the Thames.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1546125851875.jpg
    FB_IMG_1546125851875.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 9
Did Michael have many friends? Have any of those friends come forward with any information from when they last saw him?

What if family? Was Michael married, did he have children?

Some one out there knows Michael Whinham, he was 31 years old when he disappeared. Did he go drinking, where was this, the name of the pub?

From what I have taken from the page set up by the family. Micheal was worried about where he was living. There had been burglaries around Halloween 3 I believe. Micheal had some mental health concerns. He had a set routine of collecting money and has not collected any money since his disappearance.

This might be a bit confusing, I started a new duplicate thread for Michael and it has been merged with HayLouise's original thread, the link will just take you back here.

Sorry for any confusion.

Can you delete the link, I'm just worried New folk might be put off joining in. We're on the right thread so don't need the link LB. thank you.

From what I have taken from the page set up by the family. Micheal was worried about where he was living. There had been burglaries around Halloween 3 I believe. Micheal had some mental health concerns. He had a set routine of collecting money and has not collected any money since his disappearance.

So Micheal wasn't happy where he was living due to these burglaries. Suffering from mental health issues must have made the situation worse.

You say his routine included collecting money and none has been collected since his disappearance. Was this his money or a regular collecting money from people please? If it's his own money, this doesn't sound good.

I noticed he was seen leaving Newcastle Crown Court, do we have any idea why?

Did he have any friends that he went out with?

So Micheal wasn't happy where he was living due to these burglaries. Suffering from mental health issues must have made the situation worse.

You say his routine included collecting money and none has been collected since his disappearance. Was this his money or a regular collecting money from people please? If it's his own money, this doesn't sound good.

I noticed he was seen leaving Newcastle Crown Court, do we have any idea why?

Did he have any friends that he went out with?

I believe it was benefit money. I'm not sure why he was at the court. He had friends. I have seen comments from the family about getting mixed up with the wrong crowd and being very trusting.

"I have been informed lately by people who were close to Michael that he was becoming frightened of living on his own in his house after three attempted burglaries round about halloween. This was about a month before he decided to go were ever he is. He befriended the wrong people and they played on his vunerable character "

Taken from the official group. These are micheals dad's words.

figey, if it was benefit money and its thought he is alive living elsewhere, I'm wondering what he's using to live on. This doesn't sit well with me, not after all this time.

On the 14/11/15 That Day had been a difficult day for Michael, events that had taken place would of been distressing for him,
Michael was captured on CCTV at the crown court, throughout that day Michael had visited various people, It is known that at between 6 30pm and 7pm Michael entered the old derilict ship yard on Hadrian road Wallsend, there is CCTV showing this, however unfortunatly it does not show Michael leaving, it is known Michael was running parralel with the river but about 200 yards away from the river heading towards the fence at Davey Bank, After a two week search of the sight, with specialed dogs and a three day search with a specialed diving team nothing was found, Michael could of gone over the fence, there is nothing to say he didnt, there is a possiblity Michael would of lay low for a few days and then moved on.

Again taken from official Facebook page.

There was a young man who came forward to say he had been living rough with micheal and they had been sharing money they made from begging. He unfortunately passed away. I'm pulling all of this from micheals official missing page on Facebook.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raine73
Back